General Discussion Race Reports! » 16th Annual Presidential 5K Run/Walk for Education Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

16th Annual Presidential 5K Run/Walk for Education - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kennebunkport, Maine
United States
Kennebunk Rotary Club
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 31m 12s
Overall Rank = 86/118
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 20/27
Pre-race routine:

Breakfast: cheerios with milk, banana at 7:45. Went to register for race at 8 a.m., home to pick up Kent and the girls then back to the school. Watched Maddy run Kids' Fun Run 1K at 9:15.
Event warmup:

Walk, stretch a bit, start to jog prior to run.
Run
  • 31m 12s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

It felt good. I felt like I was strong and started well but I knew I felt faster than usual. Was worried about burning out but kept a steady pace. Knowing the course helped.

At the one-mile checkpoint I got there at 10:00 exactly; the whole race was a PR at 10 min/mile--my previous best was 11 min/mile! Woohoo!
What would you do differently?:

I would not worry so much about my overall pace, I felt comfortable and shouldn't have worried. I also should have kicked it the last 0.2 miles, I could have but played it conservative because I wasn't sure how I'd feel. Now I know I could have run a lot faster and shaved that extra 10 seconds off.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a while, did some sretching, then got some food (banana, clam chowder, brownies x2).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being unsure whether I could go faster, as I knew I was at a faster than normal pace already. I didn't want to wipe out so I played it conservative.

Event comments:

I think it was an easy course; I could have had more hills, and been longer, and it would have been more of a challenge.

The food was good--how often do you get New England Clam Chowder and home-made brownies?? Also there was yogurt, cookies, bananas, bagels (diff. types) with cream cheese, apples and lots and lots of water.

Last updated: 2007-09-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:31:12 | 03.1 miles | 10m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/27
Overall: 86/118
Performance: Good
Course: 5K run from School to Maine Street, South Main and out to Ocean Ave. Up Ocean to Green, back to Maine Street then School.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-08 11:57 PM

User image

, Maine
Subject: 16th Annual Presidential 5K Run/Walk for Education
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 16th Annual Presidential 5K Run/Walk for Education Rss Feed