General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Need help w/ first road bike. Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-31 8:00 AM

Subject: Need help w/ first road bike.
Hi everyone. This looks like a great site. I’m training for my first Sprint Triathlon in September or maybe July, and am looking to purchase my first road bike. However, I do not want a triathlon specific bike. I am getting a lot of different opinions. I thought I had my heart set on a ‘03 Softride Qualifier ($1500) because of the comfort, price and the fact that I’ve had problems in the past with a herniated disc. But I’ve been told the Softride is not good for climbing. . Other bikes of interest are the Cervelo Soloist 105 or maybe the Prodigy. I welcome you opinions. Also, if the bike is fitted properly, what are the chances of having back problems?

2004-01-31 9:53 AM
in reply to: #5626

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Subject: RE: Need help w/ first road bike.
I'm no bike expert, but I'll share with you what I learned from buying my road bike last year. Like you, I didn't want a tri-specific bike, should I one day not be into triathlons anymore [fat chance, but still]. I wanted lightweight, quality, sturdiness and absorption [because i would be transitioning myself from a MTB]. I recommend that you shop around, the days you go in to test ride go dressed to ride. Most biek shops do not have a limit on test rides. The longer you test ride a bike- the better feel you'll get for it. [heck if you're investing that much money on this- they better be willing to help you out!]

Okay going back into absorption- from talking to a lot of sales people [and going to a bike show], i learned that a steel frame [although a little bit heavier] is a lot better for taking the bumps. Now you said that you have back problems, so this might be something you consider.

Eventually, I ended up with a Raleigh [international- a european frame], with Campegnolo components. I love it- the people at the store i went to worked with me and my fittings. They were there with tape measures and these special machines taking my body angles for best fit.

I would say that if the people at the store do not seem to know many details about the bikes, or are not at all willing to take their time to answer your questions move on to another place. I'm sorry I was not really able to answer your questions, but do ask the bike shops- most of the more experienced sellers are riders themselves- and experts in this field.

lots of luck,

Milly
2004-01-31 8:38 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Give the Kestrel Talon a look.  It is very comfortable and you can set it up for tri's.
2004-02-02 8:58 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
I have a Felt that I love, but it's the only one I've ever had. Some tips given to me were to visit the LBS's in your area and go for test rides to see what you like. I went mostly on finding a great deal with same brand my LBS carries. You will find different people love different bikes, so you will have to find what works best for your back.
2004-02-02 11:19 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Catharines, Ontario
I agree with Milly go to a shop where they will work with you. The most important thing is fit. It is more important than the frame material and the components.
With back problems a Softride isn't a bad idea. I remember reading an interview with Juren Zack who contempleted retiring because of back problems but then switched to a Softride. Danny Chew two time Race Across America winner also rides a Softride and does more miles than anyone in the world. It makes sense that if you dial the suspension to be really active it might not climb well but if you need the suspenion to be realy active you might need that bike and would just have to stand up to climb. Maybe a mountain bike suspension seat post is all you need.
2004-02-02 3:42 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
The Soloist is a good bike if you want a road bike and a tri bike but can only afford to purchase one bike. Here is a good review on it from Pedal Magazine: http://www.pedalmag.com/index.php?module=Section&action=viewdetail&...

2004-02-03 8:56 PM

User image

Regular
San Jose, CA
Hello,
I've got a 1996 Trek 5200 OCLV road bike that has been an awesome bike! It is full carbon, including fork and is super lightweight and comfortable. I also have a history of back problems and this bike has been great. This is a very popular bike and the newer ones are even better than mine. I've loved it though and it has been an outstanding bike. This will be my 8th year with it and although I don't ride a ton it is still in great shape.
Also, make sure you go to a reputable store and get properly fitted for your bike. The store I bought at spent 3 hours fitting me and ensuring I got the right pedals and seat. They let me try about 5 different saddles first!
Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Need help w/ first road bike. Rss Feed