Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Natural Selection? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-01 11:15 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago
Subject: Natural Selection?
Ok. I gotta vent for a sec.

I take the train to and from work everyday (a 25 minute commute). At least once a month (no kidding) a pedestrian gets killed by a train.

Now I don't know about you guys, but isn't it REALLY REALLY difficult to be hit by a freggin' train? I mean...hello...flashing lights, down crossing gates, etc.

This is starting to get on my nerves....once a month? I mean how many stupid people are out there?

Whew...ok...I feel better.

2004-11-01 11:42 PM
in reply to: #78083

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: RE: Natural Selection?

Steve,

I see you're from Chicago. My mom worked for the Chicago Transit Authority for 27 years and my dad worked for CTA for 25. So I took the trains all my life. Yes, there are a lot of stupid people out there. You are so right it's so friggin' difficult to get hit because of all the damn warning signs. Oh well, I guess people aren't paying that much attention to their lives anymore.

2004-11-02 12:10 AM

User image

Edwards AFB, CA
I have to agree...you have to go out of your way and TRY to get hit by a train. It's not like 20 tons of steel moving at 70MPH can sneak up on you!!
...Darwin is hard at work.
2004-11-02 1:09 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-11-02 8:45 AM

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
Most deaths by train are suicide. And I'm distinctly uncomfortable linking people in that kind of torment with natural selection. The others tend, statistically speaking, to be young, and yes, a little careless with their lives. Can you really say that you NEVER took a stupid risk as a teenager? The next most common reason is double trains -trains on both tracks. The first one passes and people assume the danger has passed, and get hit by a second train that was there all along, but the noise was masked. You have to remember that out here in the country there are many level train crossings with no flashing lights, no barriers -just a warning sign. You're supposed to know to stop and look, but what if you're new to the area and don't know that there's a track there? What if it's dark and you miss it?

In Chicago and major urban areas, you have to add that, on average, 2 or 3 people are killed every year falling from train platforms and being run over by trains.

These statistics are easily and publicly available -and they leave out the spectacular and fortunately rare situations were dozens of people are killed at once in train crashes or derailments.

Andrea

Edited by Andrea 2004-11-02 8:45 AM
2004-11-02 10:25 AM

Champion
MA
We used to live in Glen Ellyn and St. Charles before moving to MA. We had a friend who drove the commuter trains in Chicago. It was eerie to hear from his wife sometimes....another fatality so Chuck will be home late. It does happen on a regular basis. My understanding was that a lot of people just want to beat the train because prior to the station it goes slow.

I remember being in downtown Glen Ellyn by the train tracks and would see maybe upwards of 20-30 people dart around the crossing arms as they started to come down. Stupid? Yes.

Kathy

2004-11-02 10:32 AM
in reply to: #78140

Elite
Chicago
No matter why or what the circumstances are. A loss of a human life is sad

Andrea - 2004-11-02 7:45 AM

Most deaths by train are suicide. And I'm distinctly uncomfortable linking people in that kind of torment with natural selection.

Hmmmm, that's a tough one. But I see your point for sure.

The others tend, statistically speaking, to be young, and yes, a little careless with their lives. Can you really say that you NEVER took a stupid risk as a teenager?

My point exactly. When I was a teenager, I absolutely did take "stupid" risks in my , it's part of growing up. But I was smart enough to not take life threatening risks! Consequently, I survived being a teenager without being "naturally selected."

If a tiger cub is "careless" with their life and gets killed, that is natural selection. Additionally, if it did not have any offspring yet, then the selection process is 100% effective.

The next most common reason is double trains -trains on both tracks. The first one passes and people assume the danger has passed, and get hit by a second train that was there all along, but the noise was masked. You have to remember that out here in the country there are many level train crossings with no flashing lights, no barriers -just a warning sign.

This is the EXACT reason I started this discussion because of the "next most common reason" you state. I see people crossing the tracks all the time with the lights on and the barriers down. Is waiting 30 seconds really going to make a difference in your life? Probably not, but getting hit by a train by not waiting those 30 seconds WILL make a huge difference in your life and those who knew you.

Flashing lights and barriers all over the place where I'm talking about...no excuse.

Plus, all the trains that hit pedestrians have REALLY bright headlights (sometimes 3 of them and 1 of them rotating around like a siren) in addition the commuter trains have red and white REFLECTIVE paint on the front of them. Again, no excuse, period.

Explaination? Natural Selection.

You're supposed to know to stop and look, but what if you're new to the area and don't know that there's a track there?

Ok, hold on a sec. "new to the area and don't know that there's a track there?" how is that possible? Remember these are pedestrian hits I'm talking about.

If you can honestly say that you believe that people (pedestrians) get to a railroad crossing and "don't know there's a track there" then I can honestly say . . . . "Natural Selection."

What if it's dark and you miss it?

I assume you mean "miss" the tracks. Again, is it really possible for a pedestrian to MISS the tracks? You have to try really really hard to MISS a railroad crossing.

And if you do "miss" the railroad crossging, then a natural selection event may occur.

In Chicago and major urban areas, you have to add that, on average, 2 or 3 people are killed every year falling from train platforms and being run over by trains.

I'm not referring to these incidents. These are sad accidents, which are sometimes linked to a natural selection event and sometimes not.

These statistics are easily and publicly available -and they leave out the spectacular and fortunately rare situations were dozens of people are killed at once in train crashes or derailments.

I'm not referring to these incidents either.
2004-11-02 10:33 AM
in reply to: #78192

Elite
Chicago
KathyG - 2004-11-02 9:25 AM

We used to live in Glen Ellyn and St. Charles before moving to MA. We had a friend who drove the commuter trains in Chicago. It was eerie to hear from his wife sometimes....another fatality so Chuck will be home late. It does happen on a regular basis. My understanding was that a lot of people just want to beat the train because prior to the station it goes slow.

I remember being in downtown Glen Ellyn by the train tracks and would see maybe upwards of 20-30 people dart around the crossing arms as they started to come down. Stupid? Yes.

Kathy

Yep. That's what I see all the time too.

Natural Selection just waiting to happen.
2004-11-02 11:40 AM

Pro
Andover
Steve- - 2004-11-01 11:15 PM

I mean how many stupid people are out there?

Apparently, one less than yesterday!
2004-11-02 12:55 PM

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

When I was young, I lived in Clarendon Hills, a suburb of Chicago just a block or two from the rail road tracks... We used to GO to the tracks as kids and put change on the rails... I'm talking 9-10 years old... We thought it was the coolest thing EVER to see those big giant flattened pennies and nickels.... not to mention quarters with a diameter of SEVERAL inches!!! Not only did we place the coins on the tracks, but we searched through the rocks, all over the tracks looking for the fruits of our labor, which usually flipped up and off the tracks, and were burning hot from friction.

Stupid Stupid Stupid Stupid... I can only be thankful I was smart (?) enough to know to watch for trains... look and listen... even though we weren't anywhere near a crossing...We used to look at those overhead lights to see if they were green or yellow or red... even though we weren't totally sure what they meant... When they changed, we moved.

Again, stupid stupid stupid. One false move and I wouldn't be here sharing this idiotic story, and I defintely wouldn't be training for a half IM next year(!)  I'm sure some of those fatalities are children, trying to expand/flatten their parent's change.

People who get hit by trains as adults... that's another story... I'm assuming if they're not committing suicide, and they're not reliving some childhood fantasy of large flat pancake pennies, they are just not paying the requisite amount of attention.....and that all feeds into the natural selection argument.... Survival of the fittest... Trains are dangerous.

2004-11-02 1:02 PM
in reply to: #78240

Elite
Chicago
MountainBreeze - 2004-11-02 10:40 AM

Apparently, one less than yesterday!

Ok, now people at work think I'm really really weird now as a random, loud laughter has just erupted from my office...disrupting all those within earshot.

"that damn triathlon freak over there..." they think to themselves as they shake their heads

2004-11-05 2:55 PM
in reply to: #78100

Veteran
San Diego, CA
AirDave - 2004-11-01 9:10 PM

I have to agree...you have to go out of your way and TRY to get hit by a train. It's not like 20 tons of steel moving at 70MPH can sneak up on you!!
  • ..Darwin is hard at work.

• This pretty well sums it up. {RANT}Suicide not withstanding(low sympathy level), you have to be a complete idiot not to notice, hear, see, feel(yes, dem trains make da ground shake!) a freakin train coming!!! Also, as far as the "level" tracks, two big parallel steele beams lying on the ground should be a small clue that a train MIGHT be on the way! Small children playing on the tracks; tragic yes, especially when they are involved in an accident, but I think the parents should be blamed too, I think it is incumbent on the parent to fill kids in on these "real life" dangers and teach them some common sense thinking skills. If the kids are too young for this, they SHOULD NOT be playing out of the sight of the parent!!!!! {end rant}
    New Thread
    Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Natural Selection? Rss Feed