General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Des Moines two weeks after Twin Cities? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-10-11 11:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO
Subject: Des Moines two weeks after Twin Cities?

I had been training pretty hard for the Twin Cities Marathon. I was expecting to PR, which would have been anything faster than 3:56, and ultimately wanted to BQ. I think I would have had a shot, if it weren't for the heat and humidity that day. It was a big disappointment for me.

I'm thinking of running Des Moines, which is exactly 11 days away. I haven't run since TCM, but my legs feel good. Really good. Even the evening following the race, I felt great (probably b/c I had to slow down so much because of the heat).

Can any experienced marathoners out there give me their opinions? Would it be too much to run another marathon so soon? I've never been fitter, and I'm willing to jump right into whatever sort of training plan I need to do well at DMM.

1) Is it a plausbile idea to PR?

2) What sort of schedule should I be on from now until the race?

Thanks a lot!

2007-10-11 11:54 AM
in reply to: #1002746

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Des Moines two weeks after Twin Cities?

Is it possible to PR, sure, but let me ask you a couple of questions:

How long did you taper? 3 weeks? 2 weeks?

Did you go all out at TCM despite the weather?

IMO, you will have lost some fitness going into Des Moines, especially if you did a full taper and now have not run in a week.  I am guessing your last long run was 3-4 weeks ago as well. In addition, nothing you will do in the next 11 days will really contribute much to that fitness level.

If you can swing it, I would do a end of the month marathon like Grand Rapids or even a mid November race like Phillie. It will give you the chance to get in another long run (or two), some speed work, both of which will contribute to gaining fitness.

A similar thing happened to me last year. I fell on an icy bridge and DNF'ed at 21m.  My coach and I looked at races that were far enough out to give me some ramp up time. I had 5 weeks to get myself together enough to PR at GR, although I missed the BQ by a mile.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Des Moines two weeks after Twin Cities? Rss Feed