General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Winter swimming gadget thingy... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-10-11 11:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Vacaville, Ca
Subject: Winter swimming gadget thingy...
My apartment has a small heated pool. My city has a 25 yrd heated pool. I can walk to the apt pool in under 30 seconds. It's very convenient.
My question is....Are those gadgets that have pole and have an elastic band that you strap around your waist worth it? Do they work ok? or are they going to mess up my work from this last year?
I've seen them in ads but never in person and never talked to someone who used one.... I'm thinking it would probably be wiser to go to the pool.... Comments please.....

2007-10-12 7:57 AM
in reply to: #1003975

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
Subject: RE: Winter swimming gadget thingy...
I have used one. It takes a bit of getting used to and I would recommend using a snorkel with one. I just think that helped me stay more stable in the water... because your balance will be a bit off when you first get started. I didn't see any detrimental effects to my swimming, as a matter of fact, I think it helped make me a more efficient swimmer.
2007-10-12 8:07 AM

User image

Veteran
West Chester, OH
They work.  But, be ready to enter a whole new realm of uninterestingness.  If you think repeating laps can get boring you’re in for a whole new experience.  I use a smaller gadget thingy when traveling since I usually just get to use a small hotel pool and I've used it a few times at my condo pool but I could not imagine it consisting of the majority of my swim training.

2007-10-12 12:37 PM

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT

HOw small is the pool?   My condos have a 10m pool and it isn't THAT bad for laps, just a lot of turn arounds.  

2007-10-12 1:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
There are several threads on them with mostly positive comments. I went even more simple and just used a tow rope designed for pulling boats. Subdivision and back yard pool at a friends house were both a bit short for lap swimming, but this approach eliminated that barrier.

Results for me were:

- worked pretty good in general
- got in many more swims than I would have otherwise
- made the water a bit choppy, but was closer to OWS that way
- also like an OWS, no turns to interupt stroke/breathing, no cheats holding side of the pool
- my legs tend to drop a bit, might look into using floats of some sort
- takes some major mental discipline to overcome the boredom
2007-10-12 2:12 PM

User image

San Diego, CA
Two words...

"Flip Turn"

You can even do them without hitting off of the walls to make it more challenging. My swim teacher suggested that to help with deep water starts. Or you could just build a swimming flume in your living room.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Winter swimming gadget thingy... Rss Feed