General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Commuter Bike Suggestions? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-10-12 10:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Arlington, VA
Subject: Commuter Bike Suggestions?
Am thinking about getting a 2nd bike for commuting purposes. I live about 5 miles from the office. The route would be kind of hilly, and is mostly concrete or paved, with the possibility of some light gravel paths. The route would be through a high traffic area (Northern VA into DC) I could see adding onto the ride home to get a little more saddle time in. My primary bike is a Klein Q Pro Carbon which is not really set up for commuting purposes, plus I would be worried about it getting stolen.

I am trying to decide whether to purchase new or used, and which type of bike to get. I was leaning towards a mountain bike (gary fisher marlin, trek 4300, or similar) figuring I could put slicks on it, and would be able to get over curbs, take the gravel paths, etc without harming the bike. However, I don't know if this is money well spent. Is this too much bike for the task? Would such a bike set up well for commuting?

Any experiences on which type of bike might be best (cyclecross, road, mtn, hybrid, other)? I don't want to get something too similar to my primary bike, and anticipate getting a tri bike within the next year. Ideally, I would like to stay in the $500 or less price range for this bike, knowing I may want to purchase pedals, panniers, etc.

I should also add this was my first tri season, though I have a long running history. I only completed two sprints, but am already signed up for Eagleman HIM next summer. I train about 10-12 hours per week, and thought commuting might be a good supplement to my training, as well as just a generally good thing to do.

Thanks in advance!
mark

Edited by mbologna 2007-10-12 10:51 PM

2007-10-13 1:12 AM
in reply to: #1005983

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
Subject: RE: Commuter Bike Suggestions?

5 miles is cake on any bike.  I don't even think you need any racks or panniers.  A backpack is fine for the 25 minutes it would take you.   I think a lower end MTB like  you mentioned would do nicely.  Throw some city tires on it and you have a bulletproof commuter.  If you wanna hit the mountains one weekend, just swap back on the MTB tires and you are set for some dirty fun.   Only other thing you will probably need is some lights and some clip-on fenders if it is rainy.  

Option 2 would be a low end road bike from bikesdirect.com or similar. 

2007-10-13 2:23 AM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
My wife does an 8 mi. bike commute in suburban LA and loves her Trek hybrid...to which she's added a rack, bar ends, and clipless pedals, bought panniers for (and a bike trunk as an alternative when she doesn't need to pack clothes for the office), and so on. She got a deal on it at an LBS through an elite duathlete friend of ours they sponsor, but I thought it was reasonably priced before the discount.

Oh...and now and then, she takes the rack off the back and races it in tris...
2007-10-13 5:58 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
I use my old MTB for commuting right now (about 10k each way) with a rack and panniers. Having commuted with a backpack and with panniers, I would definitely go with the panniers - makes life much more enjoyable

I have recently gotten an old 10 speed road bike (it was left on the side of the road) that I am building up as a single speed and will use for at least part of the year.

Ultimately, you can probably easily find a used bike somewhere for very little money, throw a rack and panniers on it and you are good to go...

Shane
2007-10-13 10:07 AM

User image

Expert
My "commuter" bike is a "hybrid" bike, and I almost never use it anymore since I got an old road bike off of eBay. Since I want my commuting to also count for training, I want the commuting experience to be as similar to riding my "race" bike as possible. I don't know why you want your commute bike to be different than your road bike, other than for variety's sake, but in my experience, whenever I get on the hybrid, I can only think of how aerodynamically inferior it is, and how much faster I could be going with road geometry. I also used to have a short, packed gravel section on my commute (my commute has changed since then), and the narrow road tires (23's) were a little squirrely on it, but a little wider tires (28's) were better.

Depending on how much you need to carry, panniers are definitely the way to go. Even for 5 miles (which was my old commute as well), I couldn't stand carrying a backpack. So whatever bike you get will need to accomodate that with the appropriate braze-ons to screw the pannier rack bolts into (not all bikes have them).

There will be lots of money to spend on accessories like panniers, lights, locks, clothing, etc., so my $.02 is to get a cheap, used road bike similar to your race setup.

Mike
2007-10-13 11:17 AM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

Get a hybrid.

My Trek 7.2 is comfortable, good on gravel and hopping curbs. It has a chain guard, so if you add fenders and wear a velcro strap around your pant leg, you can ride dressed for work, as long as you take it easy.

Days you want to extend your trip home, take some bike clothes and maybe use your road bike on those days.

I've run over glass twice and didn't flat. Commuting to work is not a time you want to deal with problems.

My brother buys $60 Wal-Mart bikes in NY because they get stolen so much.

2007-10-13 11:21 AM

User image

Elite

I have a 24 mile round-trip commute and I ride a Cyclocross bike, which is perfect for the terrain.  My route is partial open road, some trails and lots of curb hopping.  The cross bike is sturdy enough to take the same abuse as my MTB but is much more comfy and faster.

05' Specialized TriCross

Edited by oipolloi 2007-10-13 11:21 AM
2007-10-13 12:05 PM
in reply to: #1006243

User image

Master
brummie land
DMarkSwan - 2007-10-13 5:17 PM

Get a hybrid.

My Trek 7.2 is comfortable, good on gravel and hopping curbs. It has a chain guard, so if you add fenders and wear a velcro strap around your pant leg, you can ride dressed for work, as long as you take it easy.

Days you want to extend your trip home, take some bike clothes and maybe use your road bike on those days.

I've run over glass twice and didn't flat. Commuting to work is not a time you want to deal with problems.

My brother buys $60 Wal-Mart bikes in NY because they get stolen so much.

trek 7.2 here also. just under 6 miles round trip. yeh it's heavy but you get the miles in, and it is sturdy. i've flatted once in 2 years i cycle in glass central. plus i can take it down to the local water parks and ride there, which are either loose stones or mud tracks.

2007-10-13 1:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Arlington, VA
Thanks for all the input. How heavy are the Trek 7.2, 7000x hybrid type bikes? I realize anything will be heavier than my Klein road bike, but I am concerned with being able to get up some decent hills.
2007-10-13 3:32 PM
in reply to: #1006355

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
mbologna - 2007-10-13 3:02 PM

Thanks for all the input. How heavy are the Trek 7.2, 7000x hybrid type bikes? I realize anything will be heavier than my Klein road bike, but I am concerned with being able to get up some decent hills.

Don't worry about it - it'll just make you stronger

I think my MTB all loaded up to commute is around 30lbs - makes my road and tribikes feel like they weigh nothing.

Shane
2007-10-15 11:47 AM
in reply to: #1006053

Elite
tkbslc - 2007-10-13 12:12 AM

5 miles is cake on any bike.  I don't even think you need any racks or panniers.  A backpack is fine for the 25 minutes it would take you.   I think a lower end MTB like  you mentioned would do nicely.  Throw some city tires on it and you have a bulletproof commuter.  If you wanna hit the mountains one weekend, just swap back on the MTB tires and you are set for some dirty fun.   Only other thing you will probably need is some lights and some clip-on fenders if it is rainy.  

Option 2 would be a low end road bike from bikesdirect.com or similar. 

Agree 100%. A hard-tail MTB is perfect for the type of commute described by the OP.

2007-10-15 12:20 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
My $0.02: Get a bike compatible with fenders and get some. I have the Planet Bike ones on a Surly Cross Check. I ride through February and March slop and don't get that cold wet slop all down your backside. Really nice for foul weather. Most times a bike with fender mounts will also easily accept a rack and panniers for carrying stuff. I prefer panniers to the back-pack route, unless it's super light. If you shuttle a laptop, shoes, clothes, you'll want that weight off your shoulders and back and on the bike frame where it belongs. My bike is VERY heavy (32lbs) but it's purposeful.
2007-10-15 12:53 PM

User image

virginia beach
Unless you have the $$ to throw around I wouldnt say you need a new commuter bike. My tri bike is my commuter bike, no problems using the same bike, just have to clean it once a week... commute 9 miles primarily on the shoulder of a 55mph road.
2007-10-15 1:06 PM
in reply to: #1006355

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT

mbologna - 2007-10-13 12:02 PM Thanks for all the input. How heavy are the Trek 7.2, 7000x hybrid type bikes? I realize anything will be heavier than my Klein road bike, but I am concerned with being able to get up some decent hills.

Most mountain bikes are considerably heavier than any road bike.  But they are geared lower, so there is no issue climbing hills.   Most Mountain or hybrids have a triple ring, so you can run something like 24 chainring with a 30 cog on the back.   You'll be able to spin up any hill at 6 mph

2007-10-15 7:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Algonquin, IL

I have been commuting year round for about 3.5 years now.  I have a Schwinn Voyager.  It cost me $250 and I still love it.  It is a hybrid.  I commute about 8 miles in each direction.  I would definitely suggest getting fenders, a front and back light (I use Cateye, they last 100 hours between battery changes), and some reflective gear.  I have an Illuminite jacket and tights.  Cars give me a lot of room because they can see me.  I also carry rain gear.   I carry a change of clothes in a $10 backpack that I think I bought at OfficeMax.   In the summer I run with road wheels.  In the fall I use hybrid wheels because the leaves and roads can get slick.  In the winter I put on the steel studded tires.   The weather beats the hell out of the bike so I would not use my tri bike. 

The deal is to do it cheap, safe and be prepared for anything.  It is definitely worth doing.  I fill up my car about once or twice a month. 

Edited by daviddclough 2007-10-15 7:40 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Commuter Bike Suggestions? Rss Feed