General Discussion Triathlon Talk » wet suits - how much do they help bouyancy? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-02 4:45 PM

User image

Regular
St. Louis, Mo.
Subject: wet suits - how much do they help bouyancy?
I have serious issues while swimming. They say that fat is bouyant so I am at a severe disadvantage. 10 years ago when I was in high school they tested our body fat with one of those caliper tests and I was off the chart; below a 10% and I doubt that that number has gone up since then as I'm in better shape now than I was then. I just started swimming about a month ago so I'm still in that sucky phase. The pool mgr says that if I slowed down that I wouldn't be out of breath as fast. I told her that if I slowed down I'd sink, she didn't believe me so I demonstrated it for her and she was speechless.

I've read that wearing a wet suit is a tremendous help in bouyancy but have never worn one alone. I've worn them for waterskiing but that was with a life jacket so I couldn't tell how much it helped. So, my question is, if I were to get a sleeveless shorts type wet suit how much will that help me to float? What about a full length long sleeve wet suit? I'd rather be able to swim without a wet suit but it is so discouraging as I sink like a rock if I don't have my body on a plane like a boat. If I do the dead-man's-float, I sink. the only thing that lifts my spirit in the pool is to think of the expression '$h!t floats' and I must not be full of $h!t like everyone says.

2004-11-02 4:50 PM
in reply to: #78379

Expert
NC Illinois
Subject: RE: wet suits - how much do they help bouyancy?
It's awesome. I put on a wetsuit, rolled onto my back and just floated to an 18:00 2000y swim. Barely even noticed I was i the water.

Actually, in my personal trials, the wetsuit seemed to save 2-3 minutes in a 1500y swim. Not as much as I would have predicted, but still a little faster.

Edit: That didn't really answer your question. To be honest I only felt a very lsight distance. I didn't see this miraculous, effortless buoyancy that I've read about.

Edited by TripleThreat 2004-11-02 4:56 PM
2004-11-02 5:00 PM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI
I think wetsuits benifit newbie swimmers much more than advanced swimmers. Newbies generally have a hard time with water level, being streamlined, etc. These issues are much easier to over come with a wetsuit since they provide much needed bouyancy. But if you're a good swimmer the advantages of a wetsuit are lessened since your form is probably pretty good to begin with. Obviously wetsuits still help advanced swimmers, I just think they're more benificial for newbies.
2004-11-02 5:39 PM

User image

Well, out here in California we dive in 7 mil (1/4 inch) thick wesuits.... good luck sinking in that thing... Tri suits are much thinner

But think about it, your problems can't be all because you are so lean. Michael Phelps has very little body fat as well, he doesn't sink. I know lots of very very lean swimmers that do not sink

Wetsuits do help buoyancy but knowing nothing about you (other than "sucky phase" ) I'd bet that buoyancy is not your problem, but swimming technique (hope that doesn't offend you).

If your technique is good, you won't have this problem. One thing you might try is using fins. These will help propel you through the water (which keeps you afloat) while you work on upper body technique.

Chris
2004-11-02 5:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Québec City
I really like swimming with a wetsuit. I'm a begginner triathlete but I would consider myself as a middle swimmer. I you say : Yes, they help buoyancy a lot ! Here are some facts : At my first open water tris, a wetsuit gave me confidence on the swim leg: if you're in trouble, it's easy to settle down and relax. Furthermore, as you float more, you can enjoy a more relaxed swim... Same for training in open water where you're often alone and far from the pier... Last summer I completed a swim leg in 25 minutes (though I had a major problem with my goggles and me swimming in a straight line...), which I had never done in a pool... I think that my wetsuit gave me some advantage...

Hope this helps...

Christian.

2004-11-02 6:09 PM

User image

Regular
Adelaide, South Australia
Dave,

All I can suggest is try and get your hand on one of the Total Immersion books. I also have had alot of trouble tri-ing to stay afloat whilst swimming slowly.
I went down to the local library, found the first Total Immersion book and haven't looked back!
The first thing you learn is about body position. Have you tried swimming with your head and shoulders a little lower in the water? I am a long long way off of perfecting the TI style of swimming but have noticed how easy it has been lately to just keep doing laps, by just doing some of the drills.
I'm sure a suit will come in handy out in the open water, but I don't know if I'd wear one in a pool... our local pool is very warm!

2004-11-02 6:12 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
The first time I wore a wetsuit, I waded into a lake and when I got in up to mid-thigh, I took a step and my leg went POP! out of the water. I then noticed that I sometimes forgot to kick at all and my legs just floated behind me. Wetsuits rule.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » wet suits - how much do they help bouyancy? Rss Feed