General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about shoulders - not injured but I think mine are weird or something Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-03 9:32 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Subject: Question about shoulders - not injured but I think mine are weird or something

When you stick your arms out straight to the sides parallel to the ground and then roll them forward and backward, do you feel any popping or grinding?  I do, but it's not painful.  I do notice that I have trouble stretching my arms straight overhead.  It's like my shoulder muscles prevent it.  Again, no pain.  Finally, this is nothing new (at least I don't think so).  Anyone think this is something to be concerned about? 

I feel convinced that all my joints are abnormal -- my shoulders grind and pop, my right elbow locks and my hips pop.  Let's not even discuss my knees.  All this stuff can't be right...

2004-11-03 9:40 AM
in reply to: #78552

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Question about shoulders - not injured but I think mine are weird or something
I am undergoing physical therapy for a shoulder problem. One of the issues is that there is a pouch much like saran wrap that covers your shoulder/rotator cuff area. Mine is very tight, so I get popping noises sometimes when I move my shoulder. I'm working on making my shoulder muscles stronger and stretching out the saran wrap like covering, which will help my swimming.

I have 5 excercises I do with a stretchy band and another 4 to do with weights.

I'm glad I went to the orthopod when I did, because I did not have a rotator cuff tear but tendonitis which is much easier to recover from.

I'd encourage you to get it checked out and try and get referred to a sports minded PT who can help you make sure you won't hurt yourself.

Good Luck!
Kathy
2004-11-03 12:24 PM

User image

Expert
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Question about shoulders - not injured but I think mine are weird or something
Whit,
I have the same popping / grinding in my shoulders. Usually not painful, however, that popping is tendons moving around in the shoulder joint. I had to undergo some PT about a year ago when I started swimming religously becuase the shoulder would pop w/ each stroke. My shoulders have what is called an impingement (sp??), which basically means the tendon gets caught in the shoulder during some movements, such as swimming. PT did some pretty aggressive stretching and gave me some strength training exercises to do to keep everything in my shoulder were it should be. I also have to be very careful when swimming and make sure that my stroke is correct (for me) and that my shoulder is not popping.

You are not the only one out there with this problem.

Good luck w/ it.

Adios
Dave
2004-11-03 1:35 PM

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT
Join the club Whit. Mine pop all the time, along with my ankles and toes. My wife thinks it's disgusting, I think it's pretty cool . If there is no pain, I wouldn't worry about it.

Chris
2004-11-03 2:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Aahhh, the musical sounds a triathlete's body makes.

I, too, have shoulder popping sounds. Especially when I'm lifting. No pain, either. Just as long as there's no pain and it doesn't bother you, I figure it's ok...
2004-11-03 2:13 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago
My shoulders pop too!

I can make both of my shoulders grind/crunch if I extend my arm fully and swing it around towards the back of my body.

I too think it's cool but my wife thinks it's stupid.

2004-11-03 6:24 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
My everything pops. Hips, knees, neck, shoulders, back .... When I first wake up in the morning and stretch, it's quite a racket I don't know what causes it or if it's dangerous. I know my mother used to TELL me it was dangerous to get me to stop it, but I think she was just making that up. Maternal license....

The only thing that doesn't crackle is my knuckles.

Andrea
2004-11-03 8:10 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

I have had a biceps tendon impingement like Dave, and could feel it "catch" now and then. But it hurt!!

Swimmers do get rotator cuff imbalances...if nothing is hurting now, you are probably OK!

Jen

2004-11-03 8:28 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Cracking and popping that doesn't hurt I don't worry about...and you probably shouldn't either. If it hurts go see your local ortho...
2004-11-04 4:10 PM
in reply to: #78646

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

I can do that with my knees and the first joint of my big toe on the left!!! (WHAT?)

Anyway, I have an opposite problem... my shoulders, knees, hips, etc etc are prone to rolling OUT of their sockets, (most commonly shoulders...) I've been trying to build up my shoulder muscles, but I still have this "subluxation" problem from time to time... It hurts like.... I can't even tell you what it hurts like... It really hurts... momentarily... then the pain goes away and it's back to doing whatever it was I was doing... I've had PT for the knees... it helped somewhat... I'm just taking the "ignore it until it really hurts" stance and then I'll drag myself to the ortho... Until then... No way...

Every joint pops, crunches, snaps, crackles... I'm like breakfast cereal. Snap Krackle Pop!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about shoulders - not injured but I think mine are weird or something Rss Feed