General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IT Band issues Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-10-19 7:41 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: IT Band issues
This year I trained for my first HIM. About July when I was running 11-12 miles my left IT band would start hurting. That stabbing pain in the outter knee. Instead of just stopping and trying to find out what was wrong I just kept going. Well I did the HIM in August and a sprint in September. Both were painful to my knee. Since then I have not run at all. In fact I have done very little with my lower body other than stretch to try and let it heal. This week I have started to introduce a lower body workout and cardio and sure enough my IT band is hurting again! I stretch it and it feels better, but as soon as I do anything like exercise it starts hurting. It's better than it was a month ago, but not as good as it needs to be. What can I do to get this to heal completely?

2007-10-19 9:28 AM
in reply to: #1015025

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: IT Band issues
Mine was killing me after my first HIM.  What I did was got to a P.T. and was given a bunch of different therapy things to do.  Including the foam roller which many swear by.  I think the Ultrasound they did on it did wonders.  I went from absolute pain after running two miles to 6.5 miles in the matter of three weeks.  I'm now running 11 miles pain free 6 weeks later.  If you want more info feel free to p.m. me and I'll get into more detail.
2007-10-19 9:13 PM
in reply to: #1015025

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: IT Band issues
Rest, stretch, and lots of massage. And make sure you target the entire ITB. Do a lot of work up near the hip too (even if it's bothering you down by the knee).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IT Band issues Rss Feed