General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Greetings from SW Missouri Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-10-19 10:53 AM

User image

Joplin
Subject: Greetings from SW Missouri

Hi everyone,

I have been reading some of the posts in this forum and wanted to say hello to everyone. This weekend marks one week after my first race and the beginning of my 4th month of training. Not really so sure that I would call it training. I was just doing by going out running and biking, all the while reading on this site and a few others to find tips and such.

2 and 1/2 years ago I had reached a great goal. That goal was not good and it was the high point of a sedentary lifestyle. I had reached 325 lbs, which as a person standing 6' 2" may not be too bad for a defensive lineman that works out everyday. That day was the beginning of a new life. I changed everything and did not just diet I changed my whole lifestyle. Today, I am a healthy 185lb with a good nutritional lifestyle, as well as a new outlook on exercise. Well, it is not exercise but fun.

Last Saturday I had my first biathlon at the Union Country Colorfest Biathlon in Anna, Illinois. The run was great for me and I felt relaxed, as well as quite fresh at the end of the 5K run. The biking section was a different story. I ended up changing two tubes during the race as there were some sharp rocks on the edge of the road. Sometime later it happened again and i was out. But in the end the day was a blast, I had some practice changing tubes during a race, met a few great people, and just enjoyed the day.

I did take my rear wheel in to the local bike shop to have it checked and make sure that there wasn't a metal burr or a spoke coming through my rim tape. All looks good and just hope that I don't have to practice changing tubes for a bit.

So, here I am on Beginner Triathlete. I have signed up, paid my fees, getting a training plan started, ready to learn and have a lot more fun. If there is anyone that comes into the area or lives nearby and wants to go for a ride or run just drop me a note. Always happy to share the road.

Enjoy the day!!

Michael

2007-10-19 11:58 AM
in reply to: #1015546

User image

Master
Central, IL
Subject: RE: Greetings from SW Missouri

Welcome to BT! 

Glad you had a good experience on the good side of the river (coming from a guy from IL).  You'll find tons of info and support here.  Enjoy! 

2007-10-20 9:41 AM
in reply to: #1015719

User image

Joplin

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome. I spent several years on the good side of the river while I was in the Air Force. A lot of great memories living in Belleville and enjoying life there.

Thanks again,

Michael 

2007-10-23 4:49 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis

welcome, Michael.

you've got a great story, and a great outlook!

do you have any races planned for next year? there's lots of good ones in this area if you don't mind the road trip. my race log has lots of details about them in case you're curious.

later,

b

2007-10-25 7:21 PM
in reply to: #1021349

User image

Joplin

Hi!

Thanks so much for the welcome. You have a lot of details about various races. Great stuff and thanks for letting me know about the information!

Being that am am such a newbie at this I am really working on a base. I have a long way and a lot of things to learn. Each day I learn something new and find something more enjoyable about the endurance sports. I sure have been missing something all these years.

Looks like St. Louis has a great Tri-club. Found the website and there appears to be quite a few members, support, and activities. Joplin seems to be a bit in the middle of nowhere and I find myself out on the road alone. The hardest part is the lack of good places to ride.

Maybe I will have myself together and find a race in the St. Louis area during the year. Thanks again for the welcome and the information.

Michael

2007-10-26 10:35 PM

Champion
No excuses!
Welcome to the site and hope for a good season next yearSmile

2007-10-27 7:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Welcome. You certainly had an exciting way to break into the racing scene! Great to see you still enjoyed the experience and are looking forward to the future. A great attitude makes all the difference.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Greetings from SW Missouri Rss Feed