General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Minnesota! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-04 2:28 PM

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: Minnesota!
Well, I have been using this site for about a month now and I figure I should officially come out of the shadows.
I have not yet performed in a tri but am avidly training to start this spring. I decided to train for a tri after a weekend with my brother and dad. The more I talked about it, the more they both lit up. My dad used to be a marathoner and in the last 10 years has gotten out of shape and my brother I started him on a health kick last year to get him out of his sedentary lifestyle! Well, starting that week, all three of us got serious about training. It's great to see my dad get back into shape the way I saw my brother last year.
Anyway, I have lofty goals in the next few years of doing some oly's then a 1/2 IM before I even think about doing an IM (which we are talking about for my 30th birthday in 5 years!!!).
I was a swimmer in high school but spent the last 7 years oscillating between in and out of shape. I finally feel like this will stick. I am so excited about racing that I almost can't wait until May!
Finally, Minnesota is a terrible place to want to be a triathloner because the weather keeps me indoors for my workouts all winter, but it's still a great place to live (you just have to learn to love the gym smell!).

Hope to talk to everyone soon. This is a great site!

Mary

2004-11-04 2:35 PM
in reply to: #79099

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Subject: RE: Minnesota!
Welcome Mary..... I hear ya on training indoors in the winter... good luck with your training
...Lisa
2004-11-04 2:41 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
welcome! i'm in st. paul. all my workouts are outside, so i'm hoping for either a mild winter (continued running and biking) or a snowy one (xc ski and snowshoe).
2004-11-04 2:48 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Welcome! Another Minnesotan here; I'm in Hastings. I also can not stand the long indoor workout season (particulary that darn bike trainer), but I'm going to make a concerted effort to get outside much more this winter than last. Good luck with your training!

Kelly
2004-11-04 2:59 PM

User image

Champion
Michigan

MIIIIIIINNNNNNNESOTA  where the winds come sweeping down the plains......

wait, wrong, state.  Welcome, I'm a michigander so I won't be as buried as you this winter, but it's still cold.  Good Luck and Welcome!

Trix

2004-11-04 4:26 PM

User image

Welcome from the shadows......

I was in St Paul 4 weeks ago and used the downtown Y there.... nice pool

Chris

2004-11-04 7:36 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Welcome!  Make friends with the indoor bike trainer for your winter training!  Good luck!
2004-11-19 5:16 PM

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
well, two weeks later, I get back to my first real post! Thank you everyone for being so welcoming. It's a great site and I have had plenty of time to look at all of it. In fact, it seems I do very little work now because of this site!

I am just printing out next years events and am really bummed that April is so far away!

I have already cocooned myself inside (all of my workouts are in the gym these days), I love winter (snow) but hate the cold (wind chill, as we know it here, usually below freezing).

Thanks again everyone!!
2004-11-20 3:50 AM

Yes Minnesota is a great place to be! I grew up there and am currently living in Arizona, go back for the summers in MN and hope to move back one day....good luck with the training and getting through the winter, I know what that can be like. BUt if you like the snow try some cross country skiing or outdoor winter activities to enjoy. If you want to bundle up, I think the paths are kept quite clear at lake calhoun!? Cheers!
2004-11-22 4:27 AM

User image

Croatia
... Minnesota... some 10 years ago I went to Minnesota. Funny part was in US Embassy here in Zagreb, Croatia. When I applied for visa, I wrote down that I am going in Minnesota... in January. Guy in embassy looked at me and said, "Here is your visa. Have a nice time". I was ... surprised. U see, some of my friends waited for mounts to get visa, and I got it with just one visit to embassy. I asked him about that. He sad " Well, U are going to Minnesota, and no one goes to Minnesota in January. U will be back." ...
I spend beautiful month in Minneapolis with my friends. It was cold. It was windy (movie "Fargo" always brings back memories), and I had to cut my visit short, because I got frostbites.
Still, great ppl, great nature. I guess I will be back one day. In summer. For triathlon maybe ))
chris
2004-11-22 3:31 PM
in reply to: #84861

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Luckily, I live less than a mile from Calhoun and the bike path to get there runs right to my door!
And yet, I still drive 20 minutes to the gym!

2004-11-22 3:33 PM
in reply to: #85332

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Chris,
You are right, it's a great place but winter is VERY fierce! My best friend in college was from Albania and she used to hate the winters here. For me, I am just very used to them. I am hoping for snow soon!
You will definitely want to come back some time!

Mary
2004-11-27 11:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Hi Mary, and a slightly belated welcome! I lived in Rochester for 5 years and truely loved it there, including the winters. I'm in NC now, another great place to live. I do have to admit that triathlon training here is just a bit easier....LOL

Go Timberwolves!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Minnesota! Rss Feed