General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » IBD anyone? Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-05 9:24 AM

User image

Regular
Long Island
Subject: IBD anyone?
Hi I'm new here but after asking one general question and getting a great response I'm going to throw out something more specific. I've finished one sprint triathlon and am starting training for a 1/2 ironman next year. I'm confident that I can do the distance because the run and bike are a piece of cake. My swim is a concern but I'm getting in the pool at least twice(usually three times) a week and its coming along nicely. As I ratchet up the hours though I can see how important nutrition is. There I run into problems. Not only do I LOVE junk food, I also suffer from colitis, which is a form of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). That means that a lot of the healthiest foods (fruits and veggies) are irratating. My disease is well controlled with medication but when I eat too much roughage I can tell the difference ( I won't go into details, If you have colitis you know what I'm talking about)

I would love to hear from someone like me who can give some nutritonal advice specific to IBD sufferers.

2004-11-05 11:36 AM
in reply to: #79386

User image

Veteran
MA
Subject: RE: IBD anyone?
Hi and welcome!

I don't know, but clearly if you can't eat them, then you can't eat them. Fruits and veggies are great, but they are not they only healthy foods. Maybe you could set up a consultation with a sports nutritionist to get a professional opinion on this?

Deb
2004-11-05 1:57 PM

User image

Expert
St. Thomas, ON
I have IBD (have since I was a young girl.) Personally, if I don't get enough fiber in my diet, I have "problems". I am very careful to get at least 30g of fiber each day, and I use fiber supplements if I've had a bad day (dinner out, too busy to eat well, etc), to make sure I get my fill. I've even been able to stave off "problems" with a couple of pieces of high fiber bread and a large glass of water. That said, I don't eat raw fruit or vegs (I just plain don't like them.)

Also, my sister-in-law has/had ulcerative colitis. About 7 years ago she went to organic everything, and added all the fiber/roughage back into her diet (gradually), and she has been off the medication since then. You may find this link interesting. It talks about how a high fiber diet can be helpful in the prevention of colitis. It also talks about how one may want to avoid raw fruits and vegs, but cooked should be okay.
http://www.lef.org/protocols/prtcl-114.shtml

2004-11-05 5:11 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Welcome, officially!  Hope the IBD does not cause any further problems!  I suppose it will be lots of trial and error.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » IBD anyone? Rss Feed