General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello everyone (and a few questions) Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-10-25 7:59 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: Hello everyone (and a few questions)
Hi everyone, just dropping out of lurk mode. I'm a former competitive swimmer (it's been over 10 years since I have trained competitively) who decided it was time to stop the slow weight gain that has been going on since then. A few months ago I started doing a fair amount of biking and found that I really enjoyed it. Then I found out that a few of my former swimming buddies did a local triathlon in the summer and I thought that would be something I could do - so I decided that I would compete in that same tri next summer (late July).

As a former swimmer, I'm not worried about the swim portion at all. I've only been in the pool 3 times since I decided to do it and I can already complete the distance in the time that the leaders posted in the event this year. Obviously swimming in the ocean will be quite different but I figure between now and then I can get myself up to snuff. I'm also not too worried about the bike, I've biked the course that is used for the event and can do a respectable time for it as well. My problem will be the run. I absolutely HATE running - it's something that has plagued me for my whole life. I used to get really bad shin splints when I ran, I've altered my running style a little bit and that has gone away but I still have some problems with my knees and did I mention that I HATE it?

Anyway, since I have lots of time before the event I was planning on just spending lots of time in the pool and on a bike to increase my endurance. For the run, I have a "learn to run" program that my wife is using to get herself up to 10k. I figure I'll try that and see if I can at least get myself to the point that running doesn't kill me. Then in April I will take one of the tri training programs on this site and follow that up to the event itself.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan or should I be doing something else between now and April? Thanks for any advice!!

Arend

2007-10-25 8:27 AM
in reply to: #1023698

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Hello everyone (and a few questions)
Sounds like a plan.  I'd suggest working on the "I hate running" attitude. 
2007-10-25 11:12 PM

User image

Expert
Get good shoes and start slow. Back in college I was mostly a biker, doing 100+ miles per week without even breathing hard, but could barely run more than 15 minutes. (I wasn't even swimming at all). Fast forward 15 years, and I've discovered that I can actually run, but it wasn't easy, especially the first several weeks.

You'll find training programs which will recommend starting with 2 or 3 minutes of running followed by 4 to 5 minutes of walking. Every week add an additional minute or two of running and subtract the same amount from the walking. At least for me, it helped me build up a base with a minimum amount of injury.
2007-10-25 11:52 PM

User image

Expert
Montana
You've been here longer than me, but Welcome anyway. I once asked a tri friend, "When does the running become fun?" She said if I'm not having fun running, I need to slow down. That worked! I was already in good cardio shape from swimming and spinning, but couldn't run three minutes straight.

You can do it!
2007-10-26 8:55 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to take my time with the running and try to keep a positive attitude.
2007-10-26 10:03 AM
in reply to: #1025103

User image

Expert

Welcome! I started running a few years ago when someone suggested I try a local 10K, and I also hated running at first. Now I really look forward to running, because it feels really good both mentally and physically. Just to reiterate the great advice you've already gotten, please be sure to get good shoes (if you can, go to a good running store), follow a good beginner's plan, take it slowly, and be patient. I would also like to suggest using the training log here on BT.

Shoeless - 2007-10-26 12:52 AM I once asked a tri friend, "When does the running become fun?" She said if I'm not having fun running, I need to slow down. That worked!

That is excellent advice.

Anthony

2007-10-27 9:27 PM
in reply to: #1025429

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
amschrod - 2007-10-26 11:03 AM

Welcome! I started running a few years ago when someone suggested I try a local 10K, and I also hated running at first. Now I really look forward to running, because it feels really good both mentally and physically. Just to reiterate the great advice you've already gotten, please be sure to get good shoes (if you can, go to a good running store), follow a good beginner's plan, take it slowly, and be patient. I would also like to suggest using the training log here on BT.

Shoeless - 2007-10-26 12:52 AM I once asked a tri friend, "When does the running become fun?" She said if I'm not having fun running, I need to slow down. That worked!

That is excellent advice.

Anthony

X2

good shoes - run slower, while its still comfortable to talk - and remember it is supposed to be fun!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello everyone (and a few questions) Rss Feed