General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trouble losing weight, how to jump start? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-10-26 9:33 AM

Regular
Subject: Trouble losing weight, how to jump start?
If I could impose of some people's expertise? I have 60 lbs to lose to get to my "ideal" weight, but I'd be happy with just 1 at this point.

I started an exercise and much healthier eating program the middle of September, with the goal to complete a Sprint Tri within a year. I started the couch to sprint four weeks ago, and things are progressing along nicely. I have trouble with running, but I'm facing it head on and will conquer.

I said I was just pursuing a sprint tri goal because I wanted to cross the finish line. I said I just wanted to lose weight to help my joints out, but the strict diet of no processed food, very few carbs, generally all the stuff I loved to eat, is getting frustrating. Ok, I admit it, I wanted to be thinner too.

Do I start with a nutritionist? Perhaps a weight watchers meeting? Give it another month of exercising, I'm just not burning enough calories yet? I see people with weekly weigh in programs and get, ok, I'm jealous. I've got seven weeks in, and no pounds lost yet. Not up, so I guess that's the good news.

There is no question my strength and endurance is increasing. I'm certain I am building muscle mass so I'll continue the healthy diet, good fuel. I realize I should be grateful. It's just tough, y'know? I can't see any of the muscles under the layers of fat, my clothes all fit the same. Regardless, I'm still sticking with the exercise. My primary goal is the Sprint tri, possibly as soon as July 2008. I think that will be achievable. However, if it really doesn't matter what I eat, I'm giving myself the liberty to eat potatoes and bread again.

Thanks much for any thoughts.

2007-10-26 10:12 AM
in reply to: #1025368

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: Trouble losing weight, how to jump start?
Tell us more, tell us more. What's a normal day's food look like?

There are a ton of resources on this board, and lots of helpful folks. I wouldn't jump off to a nutritionist just yet (says the girl who's hiring a nutritionist for her Christmas present...so FWIW). We can help you more if we know what you're eating.
2007-10-26 10:17 AM

User image

Champion
Oh, and some more thoughts, since I'm being chatty today...

Don't give up the food you love, try to make it healthier (e.g., pizza on whole wheat crust with low-fat cheese & veggies instead of pan pizza with all-you-can-eat-meat) or eat just a little.

Don't give up carbs - pick smarter ones (fruit, whole-grain, etc.).

Don't forget to cheat now and again (once a week or less) - you'll be more likely to stay on it if you don't feel all crabby and deprived.

Don't overestimate your exercise - at the beginning of an exercise program, you may not be burning as many calories as you hope because you are just ramping up.

Don't underestimate your food - portions, portions, portions are important.

Don't forget to log your food - you nibble, you scribble...use the nutrition log on BT or fitday.com...the amount of calories you eat may surprise you.

Most importantly - don't give up...you didn't put on 60 pounds in 4 weeks - it isn't going to come off that fast either.

Kristen
2007-10-26 10:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westlake, OH
First, congrats on setting a goal to lose 60pds and do your first tri next year. Very, very doable with 8 or so months to train. Glad to hear that your strength and endurance is increasing!

As far as losing weight, a nutritionist would help if you are unsure of what a healthy diet is. Weight watchers, same thing. One comment troubles me a little. You said that you are eating
very few carbs. Carbs aren't a bad thing per se. In fact, with a high level of training, the body needs carbs. It depends on what type of food those carbs are coming from is the problem. Carbs from fruits, vegetables, whole grains, etc = good. Carbs from white, processed grains, bake goods, candy, etc = not so good. So I would say eat some bread(whole grain only please) and potatoes(yams better) but please watch the amount of butter/gravy on them.

In regards to losing weight, the advice I give most here is the following. Determine how many calories you are burning in a day and how many you are eating. Be brutally honest with these two numbers. The scale doesn't lie! In the end, I believe, boiled down to the most basic form, less calories in = weight loss. One can use the wealth of information on the net to determine how many calories one needs and burns in one day as well as how many calories one is eating. Most would recommend a deficit of 500 to 1000 calories per day. So say that you need 2000 calories for your life style, body, sex, and age and your work out burns 500 calories, shoot for a diet of 1500 to 2000. If you go over this or under this number a few times, don't fret it. Its actually good to bounce up and down to keep your body guessing.

I can't caution you enough on the above paragraph to be honest with yourself in your calorie count, both in and out. Many, many people forget about that little piece of chocolate they had in the office(fun size ~ 90 cals), or the beer at night(light beer ~ 100), or the second piece of bread at dinner(~110~180cals). Or they think that their 30 min walk/run burned 750 calories(30 mins, 250lbs person, @ 12/mile~ 480 cals).

Once again, good luck to you and just stick with it! If you honest with yourself, you will be rewarded!
2007-10-26 10:22 AM

Regular
Ah, the diet, ok.
6am, up.
6:30-7 - Slim Fast shake
(gym 7-9)
9:30 Banana
~11 am - packet of quaker weight control oatmeal, or 1/2 cup of cottage cheese
~2pm - large salad of random greens, sprouts, spinach, chick peas, cheese, fat free ranch dressing. OR smaller salad, bowl of clear soup (not cream soups, but like vegetable?) or half turkey sandwich on wheat with slice of cheese and sprouts
Snacking on raw carrots from 2-6
before 7pm, apple slices and a yogurt. Bed by 10ish.

I try to maintain the eat every couple hours thing, up to 7pm. I drink a whole lot of water too. Too much dairy maybe?

Edit: I'm pretty confident I don't cheat as I carry my carrots around with me, I bring my own food to friend's house when I go visit, I fill up on salad *before* I go out to eat, so I'm just sociable. This is all pretty difficult btw, I was an EXTREMELY social eater. For myself, I'm a good Irish girl, potatoes and breads are my comfort foods. Sweets weren't so hard to avoid, but the starches are a struggle.

Edited by Tautery 2007-10-26 10:28 AM
2007-10-26 10:30 AM

User image

Great job on keeping your excerise logs.  One suggestion is to use the nutritional logging as well.  That will help with the big picture.

"but the strict diet of no processed food, very few carbs, generally all the stuff I loved to eat, is getting frustrating"

Carbs are important for fueling an active person.  Doing a low carb diet will cause extra fatigue and more than likely leave you dehydrated as well as you increase your activity level.  Substituting healthier carbs higher in fiber will provide you the fuel you need plus leave feeling you fuller. 

Regardless, keep up the good work and the wieght will fall off. 

2007-10-26 10:33 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Have you calculated how many calories you are eating?  and % of C, F, P? Are you weighing and measuring how much you are eating?

Doesn't look like very many calories ...you may not be eating enough given how you are not being more active.

Do your clothes fit the same or are they looser? If looser you probably are gaining muscle and losing fat but scale doesn't change for that reason.

You sound very similar to me...I had lost about 35 pounds with a goal of another 65 when I decided to do my first sprint and gave myself a year to do it. I did it to prove that I turned my life around and the weight loss would be permanent.

Now 5 years later I've lost 98 pounds, done a half IM, and doing an IM next year...the change has stuck and I feel great.....I hope you reach your dreams and meet your goals as it is rewarding!!! 

2007-10-26 10:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay

Mmmmm... Aloha

how about joing one of the weight loss challanges here and that way you can get support along your journey? I would thoroughly recommend it as a strategy.

2007-10-26 10:51 AM
in reply to: #1025463

User image

Champion
Tautery - 2007-10-26 11:22 AM

Ah, the diet, ok.
6am, up.
6:30-7 - Slim Fast shake
(gym 7-9)
9:30 Banana
~11 am - packet of quaker weight control oatmeal, or 1/2 cup of cottage cheese
~2pm - large salad of random greens, sprouts, spinach, chick peas, cheese, fat free ranch dressing. OR smaller salad, bowl of clear soup (not cream soups, but like vegetable?) or half turkey sandwich on wheat with slice of cheese and sprouts
Snacking on raw carrots from 2-6
before 7pm, apple slices and a yogurt. Bed by 10ish.

I try to maintain the eat every couple hours thing, up to 7pm. I drink a whole lot of water too. Too much dairy maybe?

Edit: I'm pretty confident I don't cheat as I carry my carrots around with me, I bring my own food to friend's house when I go visit, I fill up on salad *before* I go out to eat, so I'm just sociable. This is all pretty difficult btw, I was an EXTREMELY social eater. For myself, I'm a good Irish girl, potatoes and breads are my comfort foods. Sweets weren't so hard to avoid, but the starches are a struggle.

Eating every couple hours good, but it doesn't look like you're eating enough. I would consider (in addition to all the great comments above)...

* Adding some more protein...eat some almonds with your carrots, eat the cottage cheese & the oatmeal, throw meat on the salad.

* Eat more for dinner...an apple & yogurt to tide your body from 7p to 7a? That seems like an excellent way to convince your body it is starving & slow your metabolism.

* Make your own smoothie (see nutrition section for recipes) rather than drink slimfast.

Kristen

Edited by enders_shadow 2007-10-26 10:52 AM
2007-10-26 11:12 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington

Hi there,

Congrats on making the decision to be healthier!  It's a huge step and it seems like you're doing great!  However, with 60 pounds to lose, the diet you described is probably not enough food.  Add in your training, and while you're probably burning more than you're putting in, I would bet your body is freaking out and thinking it's starving, so its trying to hang on to it's fat stores.  

Personally, I think weight watchers or a nutritionist would be a great idea.   Your body needs more protien and carbohydrate, plus some fat and other stuff, to be healthy.  Think of your food as fuel - you've got to fuel your body when it's just sitting there, plus fuel it to maintain the level of activity.   And for me, thinking of it as fuel makes it easier to make the tradeoffs to healthier food - whole greains, colorful veggies instead of cookies, iceberg lettuce and Wonder bread.  Just like in a car, better fuel = better performance.  If the balance is right, you'll lose weight, but either too much or too little food will sabotage all your hard work.  WW or a nutritionist can help you balance the amount of food/fuel you get with what you need. 

This is another FWIW statement - I have lost weight on WW and think the method really makes sense, however I'm currently struggling with the last 10-20 pounds.

Good luck, and congrats again!

2007-10-26 12:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX

Like you, I started exercising to complete a sprint triathlon this year. I wasn't necessarily trying to lose weight, but I figured with all the exercise the weight would just fly off me. Well, maybe that would have happened 15 years ago, but not now. So my exercise was great, but my nutrition left a lot to be desired.

I finally sucked it up and started Weight Watchers again, BUT...this time I started the Core program instead of the Flex program. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I am never hungry; I'm making good choices and because there are so many great whole grains that are core, I'm trying lots of new healthy foods without having to give up carbs. You can find out more at a meeting or feel free to PM me.

Best of luck! I know you can do it!!

2007-10-26 1:12 PM

Veteran
I think you are not eating enough. With a deficit of more than 500 calories a day your body will get into starvation mode and save every calorie it can.

I find that (in my case but everyone is different) eating a little and often does not work well. i need fuel when i wake up and after a training session. Preferably something hot (temperature).

I make some Instant Cream of Wheat or Oatmeal with 1/2 portion of milk and 1/2 of water. It takes about 2 minutes and it's warm and creamy. It fills me up and gives me energy. I have it with some honey.

A cup of warm/hot chocolate drink before bed makes me feel relaxed.

You are eating too little, especially before bed. It will make you feel hungry during the night, you will not be able to sleep well and get up rested.

I have been there and now that I changed my eating habits and started eating a bit more I am feeling better.

There are many interesting articles in the nutrition section of BT.

good luck!
2007-10-26 1:40 PM

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
Tautery - 2007-10-26 7:33 AM

Do I start with a nutritionist? Perhaps a weight watchers meeting?

Thanks much for any thoughts.

Yes, and yes.

In addition to all the other good advice, I'll just add I have attempted WW twice and failed - over a 3 year period. The first of July I went to a nutritionist and learned what good fuel and proper proportions were all about, then about a month later I joined WW again. It has made a huge difference and I've had no problems with starving on the WW program, and my attitude is much better about this new lifestyle.

Edited by MrsUSMC 2007-10-26 1:54 PM
2007-10-26 3:22 PM

Veteran
hi Terri, are the dogs in your avatar yours?

They are sooooooo cute!!!! I have an iggy as well.

(sorry for the highjaking)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trouble losing weight, how to jump start? Rss Feed