General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-05 5:44 PM

New user

Subject: New to Tri
Hi everyone!
I'm new to this whole triathlon thing, haven't competed in one yet but I hope to complete my first Olympic distance next year. I was a distance swimmer for LSU (Geaux Tigers!!) and I just really miss being a competitive athlete. I haven't been in the water much since I graduated about 6 years ago, but I think the swimming will be fine for me. I have been running since I finished college, so that shouldn't be too bad for me. The biking on the other hand is something very new for me. I bought a bike about a month ago ('05 Specialized Allez Elite) and I really enjoy it, I just hope I have enough time to get in cycling shape. I just put my clipess pedals on last week and now I have many bruises!! I think all of my coordination is in the water, I certainly have none on the bike. Any advice for getting used to them without having to wear full protective gear? I don't know if the pedals are too tight or I'm just a spazz (more than likely that is what it is), but sometimes I can clip out no problem and other times I can't and I just fall right over! Plop!! It was pretty embarrassing the other day at the park, but I admit it must look hilarious. Please tell me that I am not alone with this and other people had falling issues when getting used to their clipless?

I will be moving to the Atlanta, GA area in just a few weeks, so I hope to meet some other tri people there. I may try to join a masters team as well.
I am sure I will have a ton of cycling questions in the next few months, but hopefully I can offer others some swimming advice in return.
Looking forward to meeting everyone here!! Thanks.

Meghan

2004-11-05 6:07 PM
in reply to: #79602

User image

Subject: RE: New to Tri
Welcome to BT!

Haven't tried them yet, but I've heard looking like a spazz trying to get out of your clipless pedals... and then falling... is a rite of passage.

Lots of great resources here (especially the logs), and I understand there's a bunch of good folk in the Atlanta area

Looking forward to hearing about the training

Chris
2004-11-05 6:17 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Welcome to BT!  I had similar issues with the clipless.  I fell enough times that I can't count them.  And I had one visit for an Xray.  Anyway, you'll get used to them.  Clip out at the bottom of the pedal stroke - that was my big issue - it was harder to do at the top of the pedal stroke. 

Good luck training!

2004-11-06 11:27 AM

User image

Champion
Gold member
welcome and look forward to that oly race report next year...
2004-11-06 11:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Midcoast, Maine
Welcome to the site, everyone has took the dump, usually it happens when you are force to uclip unexpectedly, after awhile you get used to them and remember that you have them on!
2004-11-08 12:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
Welcome & I love that username...conjures up memories of Cafe Du Monde and the Crescent City.

Nice bike...as for pedal issues, just keep riding & if you haven't, join a cycling club so you can get out on group rides, they'll push you to ride better & faster over time & you'll benefit in the tris (Just remember - no drafting in tris).

Good luck in Altanta, once you experience Atlanta traffic you may be on that bike regularly!

Peter

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to Tri Rss Feed