General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Core Strength Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-05 7:55 PM

Spokane Washington
Subject: Core Strength
I'm having trouble with my back going out about every 6 months or so which greatly interferes with my tri training. I think what I need is 'core strength." Since I'm a bit older than most of you and possibly because I'm female, I don't have the strength from my chest to hips and everything in between like when I was younger. I think if the muscles surrounding my spinal column were stronger, my back wouldn't go out as much. Does anyone have a good core strength program ? Has anyone gone to a physial therapist to get help? How about Pilates?? thanks so much.

2004-11-05 7:58 PM
in reply to: #79637

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Core Strength
Pilates/Yoga may help. A PT may help or a couple sessions with a personal trainer. stability balls work great for core exercises and can be bought at Walmart or Kmart for about $20.
2004-11-05 8:19 PM

User image

Champion
MA
I had back surgery in about 8 years ago. 18 months ago, my back hurt so much I couldn't walk or do much for 1.5 hours when I woke up.

I did PT for about 3 months working at strengthening my core. It helped a lot, and then I started to lose weight. After that I did work on a ball and it made a huge difference.

I would recommend seeing a PT and also looking into the book Powersculpt by Paul Frediani. It was highly recommended by Shape magazine. Currently I'm getting PT for my shoulder, and brought the book in to show my PT and he thought it was excellant and his focous is on sports injuries.

I think you will be happily surprised by the improvement you can make in 6-8 weeks.

Now my back hardly ever hurts...maybe once in two months but nothing like the pain and discomfort from before.

Good Luck!
Kathy
2004-11-05 10:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Well Rosalie, I'm also in your category..... I've invested in a PT as I had never done anything like this at all.... we've done a lot of core strength training.  I also did beginner yoga for stretching - I was really sore after that, but it felt really good
2004-11-05 10:43 PM

Vancouver,B.C.
I hurt my back a few years ago and just finished Ironman Canada in August. My back still hurts and some days are worse than others.
Definitely seeing a PT is a good idea.
I get a massage weekly.... it helps a lot.
Check for bike fit. I've read alot of stuff about how a poorly fit bike can make our backs hurt.
I also checked out Pilates and would recommend this too... but with a qualified instuctor-- this means years of studying to be an instructor not a weekend course.
Yoga is great too and again their training will affect whether they can help you or if there is a risk that they will hurt you more.
Good luck!
2004-11-06 5:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Midcoast, Maine
hi, I believe all of the above advice is good and I agree with cautions of using qualified pilate and yoga instructors. Flexability is good, but too much flexability can sometimes exasperate a joint/back problem. I have in my past life as a builder damaged my lower back to where it would go out on a regular basis. Basicly I found that the training I have done for triathlon has greatly helped with my back, I havn't had my back go out for two years; about the time I started running and eventually training for triathlon Part of my regular triathlon training includes weight training and a specific core routine that strengthens the back as well as the abs. It is as follows:

Core Training-2 SETS OF ROUTINE WITH 2 MIN REST IN BETWEEN; 2 min bicycle manuver,25 hanging kneeups,25 reverse crunch, 25 ball crunches,25 raised leg crunch, 25 long arm crunches, 25 back raises on floor, 2 min superman

If you do this routine start with one set of 10 reps of each excercise, and substitute floor kneeups with your hands under your tailbone for the hanging knee ups as hanging knee ups put alot of strain on the lower back, also as the back gets stronger you can do the back raises on a stability ball instead of the floor

hope this helps -joe

Edited by roxx 2004-11-06 5:39 AM

2004-11-06 8:58 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago
Great suggestions from all.

Remember, the stronger your abs are the less back trouble/back pain you'll be susceptible to.
2004-11-07 5:54 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
A spine surgeon at my hospital said that the best thing I could do for my back was extension exercises. That is, back exercises...ie back exercises are better for your back than ab exercises are for your back. THis doesn't take into account the multiple planes of movement for triathlon sports for which general core strength is vital. But if your main concern is your back (with otherwise good core strength), you may benefit from spending time doing back extension exercises like the "superman" pose, variations on it where you lift opposite arm/leg or only one arm or leg at a time. If hands out front with the superman exercise is too difficult, put your hands back by your hips and lift just chest and legs off the ground.

2004-11-08 9:00 AM

New user

Rutherford, NJ
My back used to hurt all the time, and what helped me was hitting the weights; squats, straight leg deadlifts, romanian deadlifts, and roman chair extentions. Start off with low weight. You'll be suprised with the gains you make, and soon you will forget that your back hurt. My back problems came from muscular imbalance, and I agree that ab work does not help, I tried that method and it didn't work for me.
2004-11-12 4:29 PM

Spokane Washington
Thanks so much for your ideas and suggestions.
I have my first PT session on Monday. I think from what you all have said that this will be a good beginning. My biggest problem is that so many times I'm afraid to do this exercise or that because 2 days later, my back might hurt, letting me know it was not a good one for me. So at the same time, I may be missing out on the ones that will work. The PT will really be able to help me with that from what I've heard from them. I do back extensions, and weight training (need to be more consistent - I know strength training is super important and I love doing it). The only situps I can do are on the floor with my spine to the floor and just crunching my stomach, leaving my head on the ground. Most every other kind will hurt my back. I've also been reading that swimming builds core strength and frankly, I haven't done any since I finished my last tri in July. The weather's been so nice for biking, I've been outdoors. With winter setting in soon, that's when I'll hit the pool. My bike was adjusted for me, so that's been done, thanks. I would love to be doing exercises on the stability ball, I have one but again have been fearful about hurting my back. I think the PT will get me going on all the great things you have mentioned and most importantly, with much needed guidance. Thanks again!

P.S. After a week of chiropractor appts and giving it time, my back is A OK again! Yesterday I grabbed one of what I'm sure will be the last glory days of sunny fall and went on a 20 mile ride with my friend. OOOOOHHHH, it was wonderful to be on my bike again!!
2004-11-12 11:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami, FL
Congrats on the decision to hire a personal trainer. I hired one myself 8 weeks ago and it has proven to be one of the best decisions I have ever made.

I have core issues as well - and lower back pain. I sit at a desk all day... eeehhh!

But I'm working on strengthening my body. The ball is a great tool!

Keep it up!

2004-11-12 11:26 PM

User image

Expert
Torrington,CT

I am 53 and had chronic back problems about two years ago.  I went for therapy and discovered that the exercises they prescribed were the same as I had started in pilates class.  I am now virtually pain free.  It will take about 6 months at twice a week for anyone to notice the difference, but it is worth it 100%!!!!    Not only that, you get a nice waistline and abs.

Give it a try

Evelyn

2004-11-13 11:59 AM

User image

Regular
Northern Adirondacks
Seeing a Physical Therapist is a great idea, be careful doing back extensions though if your form isnt perfect throught he whole set you can cause pain in your lower back. Alot of people tend to lose it towards the end, so I'd check with your PT on that one. Pilates is great for core strengthing, even for people who think they are strong, they will be suprised when preforming these exercises. Alot of PT's incorporate pilates into their rehabilitaion and exercise programs so maybe check into it. good luck. hope your feeling better soon.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Core Strength Rss Feed