OptionResults
You bet! Let's get together so we can all race better.0 Votes - [0%]
No way! Too many clubs already.0 Votes - [0%]
Maybe. What will it do for me.4 Votes - [100%]

2007-11-05 5:55 PM

New user

Subject: Xterra interest
Hello folks,
I am trying to gauge how much interest there is here locally (Phoenix area) to form a group for Xterra athletes to get together and train. I have been asking this same question on mtbr.com and have gotten some decent responses. I do not do traditional tri's but do participate in off road tri's. What I can find of the organized clubs in the area focus mainly on the traditional.

2007-11-05 9:19 PM
in reply to: #1039075

User image

Elite
Mesa, AZ
Subject: RE: Xterra interest
My husband and I are SO IN for XTerra this year. We recently did PBR and have done a few Mt bike races. We are a part of a club and will be planning some rides. Would love to train with some new people too! What will you be doing?
2007-11-05 10:17 PM

User image

Master

I'm leaning towards doing Xterra and belong to the same club as Sportyj and her husband "Robot".  I'll probably be interested in some mtn. bike rides starting in January.  

We all get together every Wed. evening for runs, but wouldn't mind getting together for some trail runs as well just to mix things up on other days/eves.

2007-11-06 3:19 AM
in reply to: #1039451

New user

Hi there,
At this point I'm not sure what this whole thing would look like. I know that my idea is to train in an off road environment with folks who prefer Xterra. I am not a fan of the road at all. I do not like to run on it or ride on it so the local clubs here offer little for me. I am trying to see if there are others out there that feel like me. I guesss my vision includes training support from folks as well who will be accessable if needed. I like the idea of group training. I think it offers motivations that solo training can't. So right now this is in the beginning stages. Depending on the interest level over the next 2 weeks, I'll see what direction this takes. Thanks for the replies so far.
2007-11-06 9:05 AM

User image

Master

Well, I already belong to a great group and don't prefer Xterra races. You can change my vote

With as many people as there are that do Xterra races, it shouldn't be that difficult to find the like-minded individuals you're looking for.  Good luck out there and hopefully we'll catch you on the course!! 

2007-11-06 9:28 AM

User image

Expert
Big Bear City, California
I would certainly be interested in getting some people together for group mtn bike rides. I am a part of the same group as cordova though and I think you may be suprised with the amount of support you can get from some groups even if they primarily ride/run on the road. There's always swimming right Also I don't know how much road riding you have done, but I used to have the same mindset as you where I thought road riding was pretty much useless and not fun compared to mountain bike riding, but after getting into it (especially with a group), it is an amazingly fun time (and excellent training for the mtn bike).

2007-11-06 10:18 AM
in reply to: #1039919

New user

robot - 2007-11-06 8:28 AM

• ..I used to have the same mindset as you where I thought road riding was pretty much useless and not fun compared to mountain bike riding, but after getting into it (especially with a group), it is an amazingly fun time (and excellent training for the mtn bike).

• Please don't think I'm bad mouthing road riding. The position that a road bike puts me in plays havoc with an already bad lower back. I also do not like being on the road. Heck, I don't even like to drive if I can help it. It's not the so much the bike part of "road bike", it's the road part.
    2007-11-06 11:16 AM

User image

Master

That's understandable Ralph, as my big problem is mountain biking does the same thing to me. The Xterra race just looks like too much fun to pass up w/out trying to fix my issue so I'm thinking of giving it a try.

I do think the weekly open water swims at Saguaro lake at Butcher Jones Cove, followed by a run (on the trails there for you) would benefit you for 2/3 of the events. We did that for a full 6 months, but will be starting back next year.

If I could offer a suggestion; it might be a little difficult to just jump on and start a club from zero. Most of the "clubs" I've seen here started by people posting that they were going out to do such-and-such a ride, run, swim, and if people were interested, they could come out and join in. After a while, these people got to know each other, found they enjoyed each others' company, and their tastes in workouts seemed to match.

I'm in no way trying to talk you into coming out and joining us, but just using this as an example, but the "club" we belong to isn't only "tri specific", and groups within the club easily branch out and do different events based on what looks fun. There is also a wealth of knowledge you can still get from people about swim technique, nutrition, injuries, workouts, and past experiences of other people who are in a "regular" club. Not to mention lots of regular tri clubs have endorsements from local bike shops to get discounts at their stores

So while I will agree that you might find less of a benefit from "regular" tri clubs, there are still definite benefits. There are also enough clubs around, that getting to know people from the different organizations could lead to a pretty good amount of people wanting to come out and join/support, or even develop a club with you.

Edited by cordova61 2007-11-06 11:32 AM
    2007-11-06 11:46 AM

User image

Elite
    Tucson, AZ

Welcome to BT ralph!

I think if you posted group rides on here people would be interested. I know we've got the 24 hrs in the Old Pueblo coming up, and I'm planning on posting when I'm headed out to the course with my team for a ride. Something easy and informal as posting when you'd like to ride would probably work great. Kind of like the open water swim workouts that are posted on here. Same thing with trail runs as quite a few folks seem to do those.

Good luck!

2007-11-06 12:51 PM

Expert
    Somewhere over there in Az
    Woo Hoo, a Xterra "Tri-club" I am so in. Eventhough I will rank at the bottom of the group I think it wuld be fun to have a group that off Roads. If there is a group ride I am so there, especially if it helps my MBAA races this coming season.

A Mix of Road tri's and Off Road Tri's is a good thing. Still waiting for next years Az Off Road Race calendar. If anyone knows when they are post them...
    2007-11-06 1:32 PM
    in reply to: #1040326

New user

...If anyone knows when they are post them...

This is what I know as of now. The last time I spoke with the folks at DCB, they were planning on 4/26 for the Xtreme Desert. They were just waiting for the blessing from the Xterra folks.

The Deuces Wild weekend is 5/31 and 6/1. Registration opens on 11/15.

That's what I know so far.

2007-11-06 1:38 PM
    in reply to: #1040121

New user

cordova61 - 2007-11-06 10:16 AM

• ..I'm in no way trying to talk you into coming out and joining us

• Joining who?
    2007-11-06 2:35 PM

User image

Master

Joining who?

It doesn't matter.  It really doesn't have anything to offer you.

2007-11-06 3:37 PM

New user

Well folks, thanks for all the input. I’ll consider the subject here closed.
    2007-11-06 6:58 PM

Expert
    Somewhere over there in Az
    I beg to differ. Every club has something to offer everyone, off roaders or not. The swim/run is still a group fun thing. Its all about the group, if you feel comfortable with the group then its a good fit, if you dont no biggie just find another. I know tri groups who have just road riders, the road riders do it because of the group (hive) interaction.

Ralph029 if you want a X-group go for it or you can mix it with a road tri group....
    2007-11-06 7:14 PM

User image

Master
    LOL Milton, read the posts above. We were saying the same things. He wasn't interested.  My last post was just quoting what he said.

Edited by cordova61 2007-11-06 7:16 PM

2007-11-08 2:24 PM

User image

Mesa
    I did the Dueces Wild Xterra this past year. Fun tough race!

I have already told Dave from DCB that I am going to do the Arizona Xtreme Xterra 2 weeks after Ironman Arizona.

I might even be up for a jaunt out to Temecula next May as well.

Also... DCB has the Fountain Mountain which is the Xterra swim and run with a road bike. Fun race.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Xterra interest Rss Feed