General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Greetings from Sweden! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-11-06 7:35 AM

New user

Subject: Greetings from Sweden!
Hello all!

I´m quite new to this site, even though I registered a long time ago. I´ve always been fascinated by cycling and from preparations leading to a selection for a military unit, I found that also swimming and running are interesting activities. I was a MTB cyclist for some time a few years back, nothing too serious, but a lot of moving around and responsibilities forced me to give up the sport and sell my bike, something I now deeply regret. Though I don´t regret living in the north of Norway for a year just climbing and skiing, so I guess it´s a fair trade. You can´t buy the experience and cofidence you get from a great tour, or even a survuval bivouc in the mountains.
As climbing obviously is a passion of mine, I spent more and more time practicing that, and after finding out that alpine climbing is "the" branch withing the sport (for me that is), I gladly realized that triathlon training and racing quite possibly could be one of the best ways to prepare for a tough climb. But, as I now am making training plans I get more and more excited by triathlon, and depending on how things work out, I might consider moving triathlon up to the leading place as favourite hobby.

For now, I don´t have a bike, and the breast stroke is the only way I can move through water. I do however feel optimistic about gaining enough skills and confidence to convert to the crawl stroke, and as far as the bike thing goes, it´s just a matter of money which in its turn is a question of priorities. Now that I´ve moved back to the south of Sweden, I won´t be climbing as much as before, and hopefully I´ll own a new bike after the long dark winter.

So, for those of you who have endured reading this novel, thanks. And I´ll try to contribute with what I can on this forum.

/Christoffer

2007-11-06 8:31 AM
in reply to: #1039711

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
Subject: RE: Greetings from Sweden!

Glad to have you here!

My family is from Partilla (sp?).  But I was born here.

I did a lot of climbing in NA, in North Conway, New Hampshire.  White Horse and Cathedral Ledge.  No bivo (camping to me is a  Ramada Inn).  But, you're right.  A day on the rocks, or tri training, makes the rest of the day look easy.

Enjoy your time here!  You seem to have a great personality, and I'm sure will add a lot to the boards!

Edited by foolproof 2007-11-06 8:31 AM
2007-11-06 9:00 AM
in reply to: #1039796

New user

Thanks!

I suppose you mean Partille, in the area of Gothenburg? That whole region is a great place for climbers. Inside the city there are a few places to climb, and it´s not far to one of the main climbing venues of Sweden - the incredible granite of Bohuslän. Sadly, I´ve only been there once, though that is quite enough if it´s early in the season and the fingers aren´t used to the rough stone.
If you ever find the urge to explore the cliffs of Scandinavia I highly recommend the Lofoten Islands in northern Norway, as during the summer season it´s possible to climb all day and night on incredibly nice, and long, routes. It´s also very accessible and there is lots of great hotels and cabins to stay in. Many of them are build as independent "apartments" similiar to those that the old fishermen used to live in. Lots of culture, cliffs, fish and from being so close to the Golf stream the climate is very gentle, which of course also means rain and fog should one have bad luck/timing. It´s also a great place for telemark skiing in the spring season. By the way, I was not paid to write this

/Christoffer
2007-11-06 9:45 AM
in reply to: #1039711

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation

Wow!  Sounds beautiful!  Now I just need to get in gear and get over to Scandanavia!!!  Nice runs!

Check out Q, bill, bostic, billcarb, follada, DZ, and cubefarmgopher.  I put you on my Friends list so you can link from there.  Tie in with these guys and you'll have a blast here.  Enjoy!

2007-11-08 3:57 AM
in reply to: #1039943

New user

I´ll do so as soon as I get used to the site. Still trying to figure out some things regarding certain features and buttons. I definitely haven´t mastered the training log yet, with all of its details etc, but that´s most likely a result from being rather new to having a training diary

/Christoffer

Edited by GrpCAndersson 2007-11-08 4:01 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Greetings from Sweden! Rss Feed