General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Frame Crack....Under Warranty.....Heres The Rub Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-11-07 12:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Bike Frame Crack....Under Warranty.....Heres The Rub
Well, I posted over the weekend about my Kuota K-Factor Frame cracking. Thanks for all input from you guys. I took the bike back to All3Sports and they were nothing but friendly and helpufull!

Bill indicated that it may be a paint crack or it very well could be a crack in the frame. He told me it would take about a day to break it down and flex the bike to see if the crack moved.

In the mean time I call Kuota to inquire about the warranty.....NO CALL or EMAIL back from the manufacturer.

Well, Bill called today and told me the frame was cracked and would be covered under the warranty by Kuota. I inquired about upgrading to the new SL model (I understood there would be a fee for that). He told me he would call Kuota for me and see what they said.

It is going to cost about $800 to upgrade to the SL because they would have to replace the fork and seat post as they are different.

I called Kuota myself to ask if they could give me any better of a deal because of the inconvenience (bike out of service for 2 weeks and two trips to Atlanta to get the bike fixed). I wasn't pushy but wanted to see if there was anything they could help with.

The rep for Kuota instantly turns into an ULTRA-BI*CH. She then informs me that I will have to pay for shipping of the replacement frame!

Wait...let me get this straight....I purchase your frame over all the other quality bikes out there.....it fails because of a manufacturers defect, and you want me to cover the costs to get the replacement frame back. This doesn't seem right!

I could care less about the money and in fact was planning on paying the extra $800 to upgrade the bike to the SL model until Ms. Ultra Bi*tch starts in on me. Not now.....I could care less about owning any Kuota product.

Unbelieveable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone out there want to buy a brand new Kuota K-Factor (White, Size Medium).

I will take my money and get something else!

PS: The guys at All3Sports were great and handled the situation fantastically. I wish I would have never called Kuota now.

2007-11-07 12:59 PM
in reply to: #1042237

User image

Giver
Subject: RE: Bike Frame Crack....Under Warranty.....Heres The Rub
Canadians...
2007-11-07 1:00 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Bummer and super bad customer service.

The place I bought my K Factor dropped Kuota this year as they had issues with dealing with them; like lying to them when my bike was shipped, sending the LBS a random bike but not the ones they wanted/ordered, over all it was poor customer service that made them drop Kuota. I still love my bike but find it sad that Kuota picked such a poor company to represent them here in the US.

It is true the company representing Kuota in the US is really a Canadian company and seem to have their own way of doing things...not very customer friendly at all. 

Edited by KathyG 2007-11-07 1:01 PM
2007-11-07 1:04 PM

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
Frickin' Canadiens...

Sorry about your experience. That is surprising. Can you call back and speak to a manager? Most businesses appreciate customer feedback about bad service...

Makes me glad I'm dropping my dosh a QR now...
2007-11-07 1:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canadians...eayyyy......good beer makers and loved the movie Strange Brew.....but as far as customer service goes, I felt like the Normanator during the 2006 Kona Race.....kick that damn Kuota Norman, kick the hell out of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2007-11-07 1:23 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

So are you selling the bike with the crack or the one without?

Size medium?  I'll offer you a couple hundred for the (good) bike.

2007-11-07 2:47 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Honestly, paying for the shipping is pretty typical. I cant remember the last warrantied product I have had that didnt require me to pay for shipping. I wouldnt get too bent out of shape about it.

Fact is, you are getting a replacement with almost no hassle. Thats no that bad.

Enjoy the bike, forget the customer service rep... mean people work everywhere.
2007-11-07 2:57 PM
in reply to: #1042497

User image

Elite
ranger5oh - 2007-11-07 2:47 PM

Honestly, paying for the shipping is pretty typical. I cant remember the last warrantied product I have had that didnt require me to pay for shipping. I wouldnt get too bent out of shape about it.

Fact is, you are getting a replacement with almost no hassle. Thats no that bad.

Ranger brings up a good point that many companies require you to pay at least one way of shipping for warranty service.
2007-11-07 3:05 PM
in reply to: #1042522

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

D.Z. - 2007-11-07 12:57 PM
ranger5oh - 2007-11-07 2:47 PM Honestly, paying for the shipping is pretty typical. I cant remember the last warrantied product I have had that didnt require me to pay for shipping. I wouldnt get too bent out of shape about it. Fact is, you are getting a replacement with almost no hassle. Thats no that bad. Enjoy the bike, forget the customer service rep... mean people work everywhere.
Ranger brings up a good point that many companies require you to pay at least one way of shipping for warranty service.

I could see that for something relatively small & inexpensive to ship, but even then, it doesn't seem right--the customer shouldn't have to pay anything to have a faulty product replaced under warranty.  And for something expensive to buy and expensive to ship, like a bike frame, it's ridiculous to ask the customer (who's already had to deal with a faulty product, remember) pay a significant chunk of change to be made whole on the deal.

2007-11-07 3:06 PM
in reply to: #1042497

User image

Extreme Veteran

I somewhat agree with your statement, but the reps tone and attitude just really turned me off. I hate to say it but I want nothing to do with Kuota from this point forward.

If I owned a company and a product fell under warranty coverage (because of my defect) I would want to make that customer feel appreciated and let them know this is not the typical result that happens when you buy one of our products. I don't even know what shipping costs are, and really don't care.....its the principal. With all of the choices out there, you would think that a manufactuer would want to work with their customers today so they will continue to be customers tomorrow. Needless to say this is my first tri bike (not my last)....I am in the market for a road bike and will remember this experience in the future.

The customer is NOT always right, but always deserves your repsect and appreciation for buying their product.
2007-11-07 3:11 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

This may be a dumb question, but it sounds like you had already arranged to have it taken care of by the LBS.

Is it possible the LBS is/will cover the shipping costs if they handle the warranty work?

2007-11-07 3:30 PM
in reply to: #1042550

User image

Extreme Veteran
WaterDog66 - 2007-11-07 3:11 PM

This may be a dumb question, but it sounds like you had already arranged to have it taken care of by the LBS.

Is it possible the LBS is/will cover the shipping costs if they handle the warranty work?

Yes....All3Sports is my LBS and they are handling the warranty work (and doing a very fine job at that), but I seriously doubt that they are going to pick up the shipping costs if Kuota requires someone to pay for it....they have to take their time and resources to take the bike apart, then re-assemble it with the new frame when it arrives. I don't know if Kuota will be reimbursing the LBS for that work (for some reason I seriously doubt it).

The whole point of this thread is that I am SHOCKED how rude a rep for a major manufacturer can be dealing directly with a consumer regarding a manufacturers defect. ITS NOT MY FAULT THE FRAME HAS A CRACK IN IT NOW.....look at my logs.....I am not that fast, don't ride that much, and baby that thing more than I should.

I am a businessman by trade (both retail and service) and own a few businesses. I always try and treat my customers with respect, and if at all possible want them to leave happy so that I can service them again, thus making money off of them in the future. Again, the customer is NOT always right but does deserve repect.

The only reason I could see a manufacturer wanting a consumer to pay for shipping costs on a warranty claim (for a manufacturers defect) is if that same manufacturer is seeing his product constantly sent back to him and his shipping costs are sky rocketing.....and if this is the case that manufacturer has bigger problems to deal with than shipping costs!
2007-11-07 4:20 PM

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT

THe new 2008 Cervelos are out now and the price is lower this year.   Sounds like you could use a P2sl or p2c.....

That sucks man.  I know how you feel and I would be mad too.  Prob not mad enough to take a lost by ditching the Kuota, though. 

2007-11-07 4:28 PM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Call back, it's entirely possible that lady doesn't even work there anymore!

If I've learned anything is calling back and getting another person works wonders.
2007-11-07 6:51 PM
in reply to: #1042550

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
WaterDog66 - 2007-11-07 4:11 PM

Like it or not, many manufacturers want / expect their dealer to deal with customers. By going to Kuota, it makes All3 look bad. Also, Kuota would be simply flooded dealing with customers and wants to shed problems to be sloved through the dealer network. Part of what they do to sell that brand is maintain customer relations. The uber -b!tch you dialed up may well have been rude, but she likely isn't supposed to be dealing diorect to consumer. That's the dealer, regional rep and much later the manufacturer's problem.

Sux about the bike either way. I know what you mean about not wanting that brand again. VW did it to me with a mis-handled Passat wagon. Worked out a really great deal on a Touareg when they killed the wagin due to their own incompetence. At that time, I really thought I didn't want the brand anymore. Now after driving the Touareg for 3 years, I absolutely love the car and am completely satisfied the bad experience with the Passat was a one-off. In retrospect, it worked out. At the time, I was miffed. I likely won't use that dealer again; they've reproducibly been poor at customer service and problem solving sending a car home masked of a problem, but not fixed. It deflected the problem from the brand to the dealer. VW is safe in my mind, that dealer isn't. All3 sports serves to lose most by not setting your problem straight and to your liking.

Best of luck with it. Time, build costs, shipping (if you lose that one) all add up when the problem should have been Kuotas.
2007-11-07 7:21 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

You should get a Scott Plasma....Roswell Bikes have a few '07's on closeout. Good deals! You can even get the Pro CR1 with the Zipps if you want.

Just sayin'.....

2007-11-07 7:53 PM
in reply to: #1042910

User image

Extreme Veteran
pitt83 - 2007-11-07 6:51 PM

WaterDog66 - 2007-11-07 4:11 PM

Like it or not, many manufacturers want / expect their dealer to deal with customers. By going to Kuota, it makes All3 look bad. Also, Kuota would be simply flooded dealing with customers and wants to shed problems to be sloved through the dealer network. Part of what they do to sell that brand is maintain customer relations. The uber -b!tch you dialed up may well have been rude, but she likely isn't supposed to be dealing diorect to consumer. That's the dealer, regional rep and much later the manufacturer's problem.

Sux about the bike either way. I know what you mean about not wanting that brand again. VW did it to me with a mis-handled Passat wagon. Worked out a really great deal on a Touareg when they killed the wagin due to their own incompetence. At that time, I really thought I didn't want the brand anymore. Now after driving the Touareg for 3 years, I absolutely love the car and am completely satisfied the bad experience with the Passat was a one-off. In retrospect, it worked out. At the time, I was miffed. I likely won't use that dealer again; they've reproducibly been poor at customer service and problem solving sending a car home masked of a problem, but not fixed. It deflected the problem from the brand to the dealer. VW is safe in my mind, that dealer isn't. All3 sports serves to lose most by not setting your problem straight and to your liking.

Best of luck with it. Time, build costs, shipping (if you lose that one) all add up when the problem should have been Kuotas.

Did you have the TDI or V6.....I just bought my wife the TDI and she loves it....48 MPG....I think she gets better gas mileage than my Kuota!

I still think All3Sports did a great job....I think I took someones advice on my previous thread to call Kuota directly.....
2007-11-07 8:31 PM
in reply to: #1042538

User image

Master
St. Louis
jamesehatcher - 2007-11-07 3:06 PM

I somewhat agree with your statement, but the reps tone and attitude just really turned me off. I hate to say it but I want nothing to do with Kuota from this point forward.

If I owned a company and a product fell under warranty coverage (because of my defect) I would want to make that customer feel appreciated and let them know this is not the typical result that happens when you buy one of our products. I don't even know what shipping costs are, and really don't care.....its the principal. With all of the choices out there, you would think that a manufactuer would want to work with their customers today so they will continue to be customers tomorrow. Needless to say this is my first tri bike (not my last)....I am in the market for a road bike and will remember this experience in the future.

The customer is NOT always right, but always deserves your repsect and appreciation for buying their product.

Fact is, the one rep sucks... thier actual customer service sounds great. They are willing to replace your frame, almost no questions asked.

When my Ipod broke, I had to pay shipping, and like $50 for the repair. Your deal doesnt sound so bad. Many many warranties have a deductible, in this case... its shipping.
2007-11-07 8:49 PM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

So, you can get the cracked frame repaired/replaced for $0.00 which puts you right back where you were before you found the crack, LBS pays shipping. I have never paid shipping for a warranty frame ( I have warrantied 3 different ones)

or

you can pay $800 plus shipping for the upgrade

You just had to talk to an unplesant person to find this out.

Either way you will have a bike to ride.

2007-11-08 6:35 AM
in reply to: #1043054

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
V6; mileage is 17mpg mixed which isn't great, but liveable considering I only drive 10K per year. After a top line book value trade on my 2yo Passat which they cracked the cylinder head by improperly installing it, 2k$ VW customer good will cash, and bringing the Touareg down to invoice, I got a $43K sticker down to $32K. I'd bet they made some money on it still, but I got a vehicle which I had confidence was OK. Great car especially considering I want the 10K towing capacity for a camper and or utility trailer.
2007-11-08 8:43 AM
in reply to: #1043509

User image

Elite
pitt83 - 2007-11-08 6:35 AM

V6; mileage is 17mpg mixed which isn't great, but liveable considering I only drive 10K per year. After a top line book value trade on my 2yo Passat which they cracked the cylinder head by improperly installing it, 2k$ VW customer good will cash, and bringing the Touareg down to invoice, I got a $43K sticker down to $32K. I'd bet they made some money on it still, but I got a vehicle which I had confidence was OK. Great car especially considering I want the 10K towing capacity for a camper and or utility trailer.

I know VW had a lot of problems on their Mexican made Jetta's. A LOT. We used to do business with a VW dealership, and they were ALWAYS working them. Big problems. The Passats have been pretty good for the most part. They have since retooled their entire line-up so I'm not sure what happened with the new VW's.

I had a warranty issue with my Mitsubishi Evolution. Where the wing attached to the trunk, I developed some rust because of improper assembly after about 6mos. Without getting into too much detail, the District Service Manager accused me of improper care, as well as stated that it was normal. I disagreed on both points, and gave him the keys to look the whole car over to find another instance of improper care. After opening the hood, all the doors, the trunk, and the undercarriage, he couldn't find anything. So he grudgingly agreed to the fix the problem on his dime, but that the repair would not be warrantied. That was enough for me. I sold the car because I didn't want a Mitsubishi car in my driveway. I know that if it was a different model of Mitsu, there wouldn't have been a discussion at all - they would have fixed it without question.

Anyhow, I made the decision to sell the car not because the dealer treated me poorly, but because an executive at the company did. Tying this to the OP, personally, I would try to speak to someone different at Kuota - you may have misinterpreted, or the CSR may have made a mistake. If either of those things are the case, which is possible, you will know right away. Misunderstandings happen, and there is no reason to swear off Kuota for a simple misunderstanding. I hate to see posts like these on BT because often they are a knee-jerk reaction to bad service. But that's my $.02.

2007-11-08 9:09 AM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

I'm one of those people that refuses to reward bad customer service. Drives my wife crazy when I refuse to go out to eat at this place that gave us really bad service. In my defense, I may return after a year or two.

Although, as someone else said, I don't think I'd willing to take the loss on the frame. It wouldn't hurt the manufacturer one bit. Its your next purchase that you won't buy from them. If you're really mad, paint "Don't buy" in front of Kuota on the frame. You'll get plenty of questions about it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Frame Crack....Under Warranty.....Heres The Rub Rss Feed