General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathletes make better runners!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-08 10:06 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
Subject: Triathletes make better runners!!!
I have been competing with my brother (running events) for the last several years - he has always been much faster than me, as he has been training for about 7 years, versus my 2.5 He beat me soundly this January, in the Redding 1/2 marathon, by almost 10 minutes.

However, this summer I started serious cross training, and doing lots of bricks (and triathons). Lo and behold, we ran the Almond Bowl Race yesterday, and I kicked his Kister!!!!!

I had a smoking hot 48:45 10K time, against his which was over 51 minutes. I know he has trained much harder than I have (he is running 40+ mpw versus my 15 or 20), but I have to believe that the cross training and the sheer agony of having survived a grueling 3 hour triathlon does "something" to your body to cause you to be able to run faster.

Has anyone else noticed their running time dramatically improving after a season of triathlons?

PS. If winning the dual wasn't enough, we even got our picture on the sports page of the local newspaper. I'm #15 in front, he is way behind in the yellow trunks!!!!

Thanks B/T's for all the support and advice

Dennis

(20041108_SPT_SPORTS1[1].jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20041108_SPT_SPORTS1[1].jpg (21KB - 8 downloads)

2004-11-08 10:12 PM
in reply to: #80596

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
Subject: RE: Triathletes make better runners!!!
My running has suffered.  But I should qualify that.  I did get better in my early years as a traithlete, but now I'm older and my running sux. It also may be because I typically spend 200 miles a week on the bike, and about 15 miles running.  the 15 is a high mileage week too. :-)
2004-11-08 10:31 PM

Great to hear that. I have been running seriously for 1.5 years and just ran my first marathon a few weeks ago. I have raced two sprint tri's during the last two seasons, but didn't train hard for swim/bike portions. In June 2005, I am planning to do Olympic distance and I have already started training to improve my swim/bike. After that, I will concentrate on running for a fall marathon. I am really looking forward to seeing what kind of positive impacts tri training will have on my marathon!!!

Happy Running
2004-11-08 10:38 PM
in reply to: #80600

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
NYtrigal - 2004-11-08 7:12 PM

My running has suffered.  But I should qualify that.  I did get better in my early years as a traithlete, but now I'm older and my running sux. It also may be because I typically spend 200 miles a week on the bike, and about 15 miles running.  the 15 is a high mileage week too. :-)

We are just the opposite - I'm lucky to get in a bike ride every two weeks (it's dark all the time, and I hate stationary bikes), plus the long runs and swimming really take most of my energy at this point.
2004-11-08 10:41 PM
in reply to: #80602

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
Yoshiko - 2004-11-08 7:31 PM

Great to hear that. I have been running seriously for 1.5 years and just ran my first marathon a few weeks ago. I have raced two sprint tri's during the last two seasons, but didn't train hard for swim/bike portions. In June 2005, I am planning to do Olympic distance and I have already started training to improve my swim/bike. After that, I will concentrate on running for a fall marathon. I am really looking forward to seeing what kind of positive impacts tri training will have on my marathon!!!

Happy Running

Congrats on doing a marathon, especially so early in your "running career". 2005 is my goal to complete a marathon, sometime around my 45th birthday in September/October. Good luck with your Oly and your marathon.
2004-11-09 5:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
This is my first season of Tri's after coming from cycling. I set a new PR for the 5K at 19:55 just last Sunday at a local race, previous best was 21:35 done in June, best 5K as part of a Tri is 22:30. I also believe that tri give you an ability to push maybe just a little harder and maybe trust your fitness better than single sports training. I really hoped to break my PR in the race but didn't expect to knock off so much time, it makes me curious and motivated to see just how much I can knock off in the future.

2004-11-09 11:38 AM
in reply to: #80604

Dennis, good luck on your marathon in 2005. It is a great fun - I enjoyed every step of it. I believe the key is to find a proven training program, establish your target and stick with the plan. Thanks to that, I am going to Boston in April!! Yeehaa!!
2004-11-09 12:27 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-11-09 12:28 PM

Dennis,
Yes! I found this to be really true! I ran a marathon last year and come from a single sport background running with a little bit of strength training built in but this was my first season of multi sport training and I did two tris this year. I ran my first longer race since cross training and my mpm pace improved dramatically so much so that I was able to cut almost 20 minutes off of my half marathon time doing the exact same race as last year. So that being said I can only credit that to bieng stronger than last year and having more endurance to push it harder. I actually ran a lot less miles this year compared to last year and my pace is faster now. Go figure! I'm definitely going to set some goals for the upcoming tri season. So yes, I think triathletes definitely make better runners! At least I do
Jen
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathletes make better runners!!! Rss Feed