General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for Somerset County Training Partner Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-11-12 11:31 AM

Subject: Looking for Somerset County Training Partner
Dear All,
I am new here and a beginner triathlete. I was hoping to find a training partner in Somerset County-I live in Warren. Let me know if you're out there!

2007-11-19 11:28 AM
in reply to: #1049252

User image

Master
New Jersey
Subject: RE: Looking for Somerset County Training Partner
I'll send you a PM...
2007-11-30 12:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

I live in Bridgewater, near Warren! PM me if you want to see if we have compatible schedules. I am new to tri's and did my first tri in September. Where do you swim?

2007-11-30 2:44 PM

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
I am in Branchburg, Warren might be a little far with my availability, but Bridgewater would work potentially. What times do you have to train? Mornings, afternoons, evenings?

Lani
2007-11-30 5:16 PM
in reply to: #1076731

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

wwlani - 2007-11-30 3:44 PM I am in Branchburg, Warren might be a little far with my availability, but Bridgewater would work potentially. What times do you have to train? Mornings, afternoons, evenings? Lani

I train mostly in the morning during the week, and then variable on the weekends. I head out once I get the kids on the bus. When do you train? Where do you train? I swim at the JCC off of 202, just up from the Bridgewater commons. Got any good long distance bike routes in the area?

2007-11-30 9:30 PM
in reply to: #1077119

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
Right now I am pretty much in the gym, but Monday, Thursday and Friday morning hit the road when weather permits. I have lots of good routes from my house and some further north from a group I ride with (near Bedminster). I can get some together over the weekend and email them if your interested.

2007-12-01 8:57 AM
in reply to: #1077547

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy
If you want to send some routes that would be great, are they on BT?  I am recovering from an injury right now, and am limited in my running and biking.  I am on only half mile runs right now, and trying to work my way up to more mileage. You probably are doing more mileage than me.   Maybe in the spring we could hook up for some rides, or runs?  I have been looking for a group to ride with.
2007-12-23 9:20 PM

Singapore
I live in Green Brook, and I'm also looking for a training partner especially on weekends.

--art
2008-01-11 10:08 AM

User image

Somerville, NJ
I am brand new to this. I've never been in any kind of race, but I'm planning on participating in the Danskin race. I had back surgery last July, so I'm just waiting for the OK from my surgeon (hopefully next Fri) and then will begin training.
Any suggestions on how to get started? I'm reaching out to those in Somerset county because it would be great to connect at some point. I really could use some advise.
Katy
2008-01-14 8:56 AM
in reply to: #1150123

User image

Master
New Jersey
katyesposito - 2008-01-11 11:08 AM

I am brand new to this. I've never been in any kind of race, but I'm planning on participating in the Danskin race. I had back surgery last July, so I'm just waiting for the OK from my surgeon (hopefully next Fri) and then will begin training.
Any suggestions on how to get started? I'm reaching out to those in Somerset county because it would be great to connect at some point. I really could use some advise.
Katy

Katy -
Please feel free to post any and all questions. You'll see you get alot of help from everyone.

When is Danskin? If it's the one in September, you have a puh-lenty of time to prepare. I would say the key to getting started is to start being consistent. You don't need to log mega-miles, or concern yourself with speed. Just get out there and continue with it. And SLOWLY build up your mileage. All you want to do right now is build up your base. Sounds like you haven't done much training recently, so i would suggest just alternating your days. Run one day, bike the next, swim the third. See how your body responds, then adjust. It's something that takes time. You'll have episodes where you feel discouraged, but everyone goes through it. Eventually, it seems like all of a sudden, something clicks and you realize how far you've come.

Actually, it would be good to set up a NJ training group. I'm in Basking Ridge.

Good luck with it all.
Rx.

2008-01-16 9:12 AM

User image

Somerville, NJ
Thanks for your response. I had major back surgery in July (disc fusion on one level and artificial disk replacement on another), so running is no longer an option. I'll have to speed walk that portion. My goal is simply to celebrate my health and finish the race. That being said, I am a type A, and tend to be competitvie. I am a strong swimmer who is out of shape, so I'm currently concentrating on drills that will boost my endurance. I don't have a fancy bike, but if anyone wants to go for a "beginner" ride, let me know! Katy

2008-05-02 9:11 PM

User image

i'm in somerset county - looking for folks who want to brick the dok & sok in watchung which is scheduled for june 8 - also for other opportunities to share resources and coordinate training  . . . bob

dok & sok http://greenbrookracing.com/docsok.html

me http://www.athlinks.com/racer.aspx?rid=34116447

2008-05-04 6:53 PM

Regular
I live in Basking Ridge. I am doing both the Doc and Soc tri in Watchung and the Danskin triathlon along with other sprints. I have done sprint triathlons for the past two years with very little training along with poor times. This year I am trying to get a little more serious about training. I usually do my workouts in the am. I have joined the team danskin training club here in Somerset County (info for the two eight week training sessons is on the Danskin Website)--trainings begin in about two weeks and will be on Wednesdays and Saturdays. I am familiar with the coaches because I go to their boot camp three mornings a week at Pleasant Valley Park in Basking Ridge. My weakest area is the swim and I plan on getting in the water more often. I swim at Somerset Hills YMCA.
2008-05-04 9:04 PM

User image

DOC & SOK BIKE COURSE
Website for event: http://greenbrookracing.com/docsok.html
Course "Map my ride": http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/nj/watchung/715386683

I rode the bike course today - 30 min. 19 mph - it's just under 10 miles.  It looks intimidating - the hills - but the flip side is there are significant declines. 
I am a little reticent about going full speed down the hills so some with more confidence in that area might pick up some more time on the declines that I did.  The turn for Mountain Av. is near the bottom of one of the bigger downhills so you need to be careful for that turn.
19 mph is just under what I did in a flat course (W. Deptford) so I would not be overly intimidated by the hills.
The hills are not overly steep but there is one fairly long sustained hill on Mt. Bethel.  My slowest speed was about 6 mph toward the end of one of the hills.  Fastest was 36 mph on one of the downhills.
I don’t have a lot of hill experience so I hope to get some hill practice between now and then.
The pond looks a little like a duck pond I am afraid to say – try not to swallow too much.
If there is interest – I would not mind getting together with others on a Sat. or Sun. to do the bike and run.  I will check my calendar and propose a date.  If nobody else wants to do it – I’ll do it again solo.
I did not do the run today – it is a little hilly as well so it will be a little bit more challenging of a home stretch than a flatter run.
Bob Witanek

http://www.athlinks.com/racer.aspx?rid=34116447

2008-05-05 10:19 PM

User image

I found out that the pond was tested and it passed with flying colors so please disregard any past mention of ducks!
bob
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for Somerset County Training Partner Rss Feed