General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mental vs. Physical Fatigue Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-09 4:27 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: Mental vs. Physical Fatigue
OK, only 2 days back into "pseudo" training mode since my long break, so I've got a reason to be tired, but I'm feeling frustrated. I definately suffer from "I don't feel like working out" even on days when I'm perfectly physically fine, just mentally tired from work and wanting to veg in front of the TV. So anytime I get a workout in, I'm proud of myself!

Here's why I'm frustrated. Yesterday, 45 minutes on the trainer (with lots of breaks) heart rate based workout, so even though I was doing a video with Chris carmichael, I was going at my own pace. 2 days ago, a 30 minute hike in the woods and a 4 mile road ride (short, I know, but my firs tday out). THEN last night I worked the overnight shift and am now going on abotu 5 hours sleep.

Today, I feel overall fatigued, in my brain and my body and my legs are sore from the bike yesterday. I was planning to do another 30 minute hike/walk for my couch to 5K training program, but I'm physically tired. I'm sure I could do the workout, but I'm having trouble separating the signals my body is sending me. If I succomb to the "I'm too tired to workout" mindset, I'll flog myself for wimping out on the workout. On the other hand, mabye I really should rest today and listen to my body?

What would you do today?

Maybe there's a difference between listening to your body (a good thing) and listening to your brain (which can be manipulative and lazy!). Sorry for the rambling. Any advice appreciated!

Suzanne

2004-11-09 4:56 PM
in reply to: #80920

Veteran
Keller, TX
Subject: RE: Mental vs. Physical Fatigue

get some carbs.

get out and start the exercise.  if you still feel exhausted after 15-20 min, pack it in.  if you start to get some energy going, keep at it.

either way, don't beat yourself up.

2004-11-09 5:00 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
I think sometimes mental fatigue has to be respected. You're just too pooped to do anything. But it doesn't sound like this is one of those times. I'm guessing that this is one of those times when exercise will help the situation. Make yourself a fruit smoothie, exercise for a few minutes, and see what happens. I'll bet you perk back up. And if you don't, then quit for today. You gave it a shot.

Andrea
2004-11-09 5:07 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

I have to second what Terry said about just getting started.  If you get 15 min or so into it there's a REALLY good chance that you'll begin to feel better, esp if it's work-stress getting you down!  I f that's the case you'll dump some stress and feel better, PLUS you'll have more energy, AND to top it off you can feel good about yourself for having finished.

If you go 15 minutes and just don't feel like you can do anymore, then something is worn out-the body or the brain, doesn't matter.  Give yourself a break and congratulate yourself on having common sense.

Either way, you're already ahead of the 90% or whatever of the population that doesn't even consider getting off of the couch in the first place

2004-11-09 5:40 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Thanks for the motivation! I didn't even consider the "give it 15 minutes", my brain said all or nothing. I'm under some new stress trying to find a job which is probably adding to my current malaise.

Anyway, I went out and did it, and felt phsyically good, although it was more difficult than I anticipated, surprisingly. My right leg muscles started to fatigue after about 12 minutes, but didn't hurt, so I kept at it. I think a structured couch to 5K program is really going to be good for my strength. Even if I don't keep on schedule with the run part, after a timed aerobic walk tonight, i can see that I still have plenty of potential for increasing strength in my leg!

Thanks again! Workout 1 for couch to 5K is under my belt.

suzanne
2004-11-09 6:09 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago
getting "out the door" is 1/2 the battle.

2004-11-09 6:16 PM

User image

My advice? If your brain is anything like mine, tell it "Thank you very much now STFU"

When it comes to being good to myself, my brain rarely has anything worthwhile to say

And BTW, I am a non-runner - big and overweight, always a plodder, hated running.... Started the couch to 5K about 5-6 weeks ago. I now look FORWARD to my runs, and I have not experienced any pain. I am up to 18 minutes walking, 12 minutes running. At first I broke up even the 4 minute running sections. Now I am doing the 12 minutes at once, fairly comfortably. It's good stuff

And welcome back!

Chris
2004-11-09 9:36 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI
Glad it worked Suzanne...WTG
2004-11-10 11:24 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
If I am mentally tired usually a workout will perk me up. I am guilty of not taking many rest days so I try to listen to my body when I am physically tired. Some days your body needs a nap more than a workout. I use the 10-15 minute rule too. IF I start and still feel washed out after 10-15 minutes I stop. Good luck -smo
2004-11-10 1:16 PM

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Suzanne,
Way to go. I think the key is to just get going! I find that on the days that I want to veg out at the couch, I let myself wait until the next commercial break, then I force myself to get up and put on my workout gear. This usually gets me hyped up enough about a workout to get out there.
Also, I workout at night, after work, so the last thing I do at work is check this site! Really keeps me motivated!

Just keep truckin!
Mary
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mental vs. Physical Fatigue Rss Feed