General Discussion Triathlon Talk » others' input Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-11-15 12:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Subject: others' input
I am relatively new to BT and to posting and using a forum like this for questions and communicating, so please be patient. I have recently joined BT as a Silver member with the intention of using the available plans for winter maintenence and to build into next year's races. I have a year of Sprint training and two races experience, but didn't use any organized plan for training. I am hoping that using a training plan will assist me in improving my Sprint diastance times next year, along with my goal of completing an Olymipic distance race. My question is, what are others' experience with the training plans through BT? There are several that would appear appropriate and I'm having difficulty deciding on which to choose. I could make 10 hours a week available for training, but would prefer closer to 7 hours.

Please let me know your experiences with the plans and what you would recommend.

Thanks.

2007-11-15 5:26 PM
in reply to: #1055421

Champion
No excuses!
Subject: RE: others' input

bump

No experience myself with the plans but maybe someone else will help a "new" bt brother outSmile

2007-11-15 5:42 PM

User image

Master
I have but two seasons under my belt, the first of sprints and the second with a couple of Olys. The training plans will serve you very well. You can go into the races confident that you will be fit to compete at the distances. The tricky stuff is the courses, the weather, nutrition, and your own race tactics. For example, I found an article about Oly nutrition and tactics that had a great deal of good advice. The people here will give you plenty of friendly and helpful advice on questions of the most excructiatingly minute of details. Knowing the error of my own ways, I've been able to avoid a number of pitfalls through the advice and experience of the people on BT.

Have fun!
2007-11-15 7:27 PM

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
After completing my first sprint tri this past July, I picked the 16-week run-focused Oly plan and really liked it. I think it maxed out around 9 hours/week. For me, the greatest benefit of using a plan was the "discipline." Seeing the graphs (actual vs. planned) was a big motivator. I also learned a lot about what works best for me in terms of progression and sequence of workouts. And it worked! I had a great race last weekend and felt more than well prepared.

Pick a plan by the ending rather than the beginning. Decide where you want to be in 16 or 20 weeks. Don't get fooled by "lower" volume in the beginning. The volume will soon pick up in the plans. It's more important to be consistent than to go all out and then nurse injuries or be sick from over-training. I've learned that the hard way! I got a sinus infection mid-plan because I thought I could handle more than the plan called for and upped all the workouts by 20%. Well, then I was out cold for a whole week.

Good luck!
2007-11-15 9:38 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England

I have used some of the plans and I like them.

I am pretty sure that one of the winter maintenance ones is around 7 hours a week.  Why don't you start with that and see how you go.  Then by the end of that you may figure if one of the sports needs more work or if you want to up your hours and can choose another plan. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » others' input Rss Feed