General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello From New York City Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-11-16 12:57 AM

Subject: Hello From New York City
Hello Everyone,
I am a 23 year old living in Manhattan and working for a .com. I come from a family of runners (my dad and brother have run close to 50 marathons between them) and once I graduated from college I became more and more interested in running. I started running 30 miles a week and ran the NYC Half Marathon in August. While I love running and the quiet moments of meditation that it can bring, I long for something a little different. That being said, I have talked my family into doing a Tri with me this year. We were going to sign up for NYC but missed the cut and it is full, so I am asking the experts here; what is a good Tri for us all to do. I dont care about where in the country we have to travel, I am looking for an interesting Olympic distance Tri.

Any input or suggestions would be amazing. Again it does not matter where it is, as my family is spread around the country.

As a side note, if you travel for a tri, can you rent a bike when you get there?

Thanks in advance.

2007-11-16 9:39 AM
in reply to: #1056503

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Subject: RE: Hello From New York City
Hey Now.. as a fellow NYer and also shut out of the NYC Tri .. closed at 6:30am - total BS if ya ask me.. anyway .. I was looking at Tupper Lake tri- June08- Fathers Day Tri in Port Washington 06/08 - i dont thinks its Oly tho.. Bassman in New Jersey .. and of course Jardin Westchester Tri .. I think that'll be in Sept. 08 .. go to www.trifind.com to see these and other area races..
if ya want to do some running/biking or swimming.. drop a line.. i'm on UES .. not too far from anything ..

Lou
[email protected]
2007-11-16 9:42 AM

User image

Elite

Hi James.  Welcome to BT!

I just visited your fine city a couple of weeks ago for the NYC marathon (my wife ran, I couldn't get through the lottery).  I may run next year. 

I currently live in the midwest but have been to Manhattan several times.  I competed in the NYC Triathlon in 2005, which I HIGHLY recommend.  This is a good First Timer's race because the swim is point to point with the current of the Hudson.  Just don't drink the water.  The bike is up the Hudson Pkwy to Yonkers and back.  The run is to and around Central Park.  This by far was one of my favorite triathlons. 

The Philly tri is also a great race but has a fairly hilly bike course for the first timer.  Very fun course.

2007-11-16 10:00 AM
in reply to: #1056796

User image

Elite
New City, New York

That's funy b/c I live in NY and would never even consider NYC. I can understand why out of towners would tho.

To the OP. Oly's are a little tough to find. Wykoff NJ (June) has put on a great one for 25 years. Also check out NYTC.org (sprints) and Eundorsports  - their mini's are approx OLY's.

For destination races check out Timberman. The short course is only a sprint but you could check out the Half Iron the next day. The area is a great and the town support of the races is unsurpassed.   

oipolloi - 2007-11-16 10:42 AM

Hi James. Welcome to BT!

I just visited your fine city a couple of weeks ago for the NYC marathon (my wife ran, I couldn't get through the lottery). I may run next year.

I currently live in the midwest but have been to Manhattan several times. I competed in the NYC Triathlon in 2005, which I HIGHLY recommend. This is a good First Timer's race because the swim is point to point with the current of the Hudson. Just don't drink the water. The bike is up the Hudson Pkwy to Yonkers and back. The run is to and around Central Park. This by far was one of my favorite triathlons.

The Philly tri is also a great race but has a fairly hilly bike course for the first timer. Very fun course.

2007-11-16 9:11 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I'm not sure if you can still get into Lonestar, in Galveston Texas, but it's a fantastic race. I've also heard good things about the Philly Tri and the NJ State Triathlon, near Princeton.

As for the bike rental, it really depends where you go. I think your best bet would be to pick a good-sized race and contact the bike shop that's sponsoring the race.
2007-11-17 11:35 AM
in reply to: #1056832

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
Don't know what to offer ya as far as advice,  but welcome...,and Howdy.

2007-11-17 12:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Never done it, but there's an interesting article in Triathlete mag about the MightyMan in Montauk. Looks like it would be a good event and have some interesting scenery without much trouble to get there from Manhattan.
2007-11-17 2:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Hey welcome to BT! Some of the Long Island races I hear are good, and don't let anyone bad mouth theh NYC tri, I did it last year (my first ever tri) and it rocks! and..no I am not glowing from swimming in the hudson. BTW, if you join USAT you get a 48 hour window before the NYC tri opens to the general public to register (for next year anyway). Good luck and enjoy this site -it's really a great way to get motivated and meet friends.
2007-11-26 12:57 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone,
Seems like this is an active community and I am looking forward to entering the slightly deranged world of triathletes

Cheers
James
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello From New York City Rss Feed