of 4

2007-11-30 1:57 PM
in reply to: #1076599

User image

Master
Colorado
Subject: RE: Ironman Race Nutrition
Rocket Man - 2007-11-30 2:40 PM

JohnnyKay - 2007-11-30 12:46 PM I don't believe it's possible for sports drinks to cause a side stitch, which is a spasm of the diaphragm muscle.  I would experiment with it more in training.  It sounds more like something that has been coincident rather than causal to me.  ::shrug::

A "side stitch" maybe not, but GI distress that masquerades as a side stitch absolutely. The problem with most sports drinks (GE and Gatorade especially) is that the carbs in the drink are solely sugar, which at a high HR some people have a hard time tolerating. I love Gatorade as a rehydration drink after a workout or to sip on a bottle during the day to stay hydrated , but I cannot train my gut to tolerate it during a race. That isn't just aimed at the GE or Gatorade procducts, its any sports drink that are composed primarily of sugar.

Ding! That makes sense. My zone 2 is around 175, so I think that qualifies as 'high HR'.  (gotta love that lil chipmunk, eh?) NUUN sounds like a good suggestion to supplement the gels, etc. Thanks guys.

2007-11-30 1:58 PM
in reply to: #1076599

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Rocket Man - 2007-11-30 1:40 PM

JohnnyKay - 2007-11-30 12:46 PM I don't believe it's possible for sports drinks to cause a side stitch, which is a spasm of the diaphragm muscle.  I would experiment with it more in training.  It sounds more like something that has been coincident rather than causal to me.  ::shrug::

A "side stitch" maybe not, but GI distress that masquerades as a side stitch absolutely. The problem with most sports drinks (GE and Gatorade especially) is that the carbs in the drink are solely sugar, which at a high HR some people have a hard time tolerating. I love Gatorade as a rehydration drink after a workout or to sip on a bottle during the day to stay hydrated , but I cannot train my gut to tolerate it during a race. That isn't just aimed at the GE or Gatorade procducts, its any sports drink that are composed primarily of sugar.

That's possible.  If it's really a side stitch, then I think the cause is something else.  But if the sensation of a side stitch remains after repeated trials, whether it's an actual side stitch or not is academic.  I'd agree it's time to accept that it doesn't work for you and try something else.   I'm not trying to cram the square peg into the round hole for anybody. 

2007-11-30 2:01 PM
in reply to: #1076592

User image

Isn't it just like a gel then?  And those are far easier to carry.  Less expensive too.

Maybe I'm missing something and should try it out myslef.

No idea if you should try it, but 3 gels an hour for 6 hours... and that's the bike alone.  Lets add another 2-3 gels for another 5 hours (slow runner here) I think I'd wan to spit my teeth out at that point.   I guess I could HTFU and just get used to it, but I am much more apt to take in the nutrition if it's something I can stomach from a taste standpoint.

2007-11-30 2:02 PM
in reply to: #1076638

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
JohnnyKay - 2007-11-30 2:58 PM
Rocket Man - 2007-11-30 1:40 PM

That's possible.  If it's really a side stitch, then I think the cause is something else.  But if the sensation of a side stitch remains after repeated trials, whether it's an actual side stitch or not is academic.  I'd agree it's time to accept that it doesn't work for you and try something else.   I'm not trying to cram the square peg into the round hole for anybody. 

Oh I realize that JK, I just have the same problem so I am very familiar with it. NUUN works well for me as well as many of the Hammer Products since they have maltodexrin.

2007-11-30 2:07 PM
in reply to: #1076645

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
ChrisM - 2007-11-30 2:01 PM

Isn't it just like a gel then?  And those are far easier to carry.  Less expensive too.

No idea if you should try it, but 3 gels an hour for 6 hours... and that's the bike alone.  Lets add another 2-3 gels for another 5 hours (slow runner here) I think I'd wan to spit my teeth out at that point.   I guess I could HTFU and just get used to it, but I am much more apt to take in the nutrition if it's something I can stomach from a taste standpoint.

I took @2-2.5 gels/hr for 6 hours on the bike.  One on the run.  2-3 is too many IMO.  Especially if you are also drinking sports drink, coke, etc.  I guess I don't see mcuh difference in a "gel" or a "highly concentrated carbohydrate solution".  Both need to be taken with additional fluid to dilute them.  Anyway, I was mostly thinking out loud.  If it works for you, that's all that matters.

2007-11-30 2:13 PM
in reply to: #1076662

User image

JohnnyKay - 2007-11-30 12:07 PM
ChrisM - 2007-11-30 2:01 PM

I took @2-2.5 gels/hr for 6 hours on the bike.  One on the run.  2-3 is too many IMO.  Especially if you are also drinking sports drink, coke, etc.  I guess I don't see mcuh difference in a "gel" or a "highly concentrated carbohydrate solution".  Both need to be taken with additional fluid to dilute them.  Anyway, I was mostly thinking out loud.  If it works for you, that's all that matters.

No, I appreciate the other considerations.  In my first HIM I didn't take in enough calories, and paid heavily at the end, so I am (perhaps overly) sensitive to the issue, especially now in light of jorge's and others posts that people take in too much nutrition.  Finding that balance

You're right, if I didn't have to concentrate I wouldn't necessarily need water, but I would think that even if I had an unconcentrated 1 hour bottle I would still take water at the aid stations?  for nothing else as a change of pace.

As a result of these threads, I've decided to test out GE further in training........  sure would make life and $$ easier.  Haven't done particularly well with G products, especially later on and as they get hot.  Maybe I can make it work anyway (a bg reason I like Infinit and customization is the flavor, which I dial way back, that's likely to be an issue with me and GE....)

And I thought buying a bike was hard......

Edited by ChrisM 2007-11-30 2:15 PM

2007-11-30 4:21 PM
in reply to: #1063075

User image

Champion
MA

Making a highly concentrated drink bottle can potentially cause issues. I have friend on my bike race team who did IMWI last year when it was really cold. She did the concentrated bottle method with water chaser. Since it was cold she didn't drink much water so she ended up drinking very high concentrated mix without diluting it with water so it was way above the normal 6-8% concentration ratio in her stomach.

She had big GI problems on the run and was in the porta potties a lot and missed KQ by 15 minutes.

She told me don't do concentrated drinks as the weather being extremely hot or cold weather can effect how your rhythm of drinking and can cause like she had major problems.

I'm going to train to live off the course. When does IM tell what will be on the course or is it always the same year to year?

2007-11-30 5:34 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
In a similar vein to what Kathy said, if you do try and use GE Endurance, buy the powder in bulk and mix it yourself. Cheaper and lasts longer. Buy a bottle to get an idea of the concentration so you can mimic that on your own mixes.
2007-11-30 6:11 PM
in reply to: #1065967

User image

Elite
Chicago

bryancd - 2007-11-23 11:04 AM Hey Steve, thank for the kind words . Also, you and I have the same ride! I have the Litespeed Saber which is the sister your your QR. Heck I even have that same front carbon fork!

PROOF POSITIVE that a $6,000 bike and $2,100 wheels does NOT make you fast (my IM bike split vs yours)....ha ha ha 

2007-12-02 3:07 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Everyone is going to have different requirements, tastes and the best advice I can give is to PRACTICE everything related to your nutrition.

I wanted to live off the land but early season training with GE and Powergel left me sick to my stomach.

I was happy to know this early on and not mid-May when there wouldn't be time to tinker with a replacement.

I think I'm famous for having the wackiest nutrition plan but it worked for me and I had not a single issue the entire race. No bloating, gas, nausea, nothing except happiness and fun!!!!

I used 300 calories an hour on the bike and approx 200 calories an hour on the run.

My plan was basically to sip my cocktail which consisted of:

2 scoops CarboPro (calories and carbs)
1 scoop GU20 (electrolytes)
1 packet Crystal Light Lemon Electrolyte drink
1 packet Crystal Light Lemonade
600 mg salt
1 packet Sweet-n-Low

I had 2 bottles of this drink on my bike (one Lemonade, one Peach Iced Tea) and then 2 more bottles in Special Needs. In case I missed Special Needs I also had a ziploc on me with an extra bottles worth of cocktail mix.

I drank that + water, ate a GU every hour and then at mile 40 and 85 took an Uncrustable PB&J and a salt tab.

At Special Needs I picked up Peeps and some tortilla chips and baked Cheetos for my bento box.

On the run I did water, GU20 in my fuel belt, Sports Beans, chicken soup, Mike & Ikes and Chocoate Covered Cinnamon Bears.

I have tons more info in my blog but my point here is that I experimented. Every single workout was an opportunity for me to tweak, mix, stomach or sometimes not what I was planning on doing on race day.

Because of this strategy I had a perfect nutrition day.

2007-12-02 3:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Just read through this thread....lots of good thoughts and ideas from different perspectives. Take my post with a grain of salt because I don't have Ironman experience....(will be doing IM AZ November), but nutrition is something I have to pay close attention to because I'm diabetic. I actually have a Sports Nutritionist that I work with! Some of the key concepts that I learned:

1) Everyone is different! Our stomachs will react differently. i.e. What works for you may not work for me.

2) A body can consume and absorb approximately 300 to 350 calories per hour (HUGE generalization....but normal for the average person). Amounts consumed greater than this may have multiple results including stomach issues, GI issues, and/or performance issues just to name a few.

3) Test different products and nutritional plans until you find the right combination of caloric intake balanced with proteins and electrolytes.

4) Test your nutrition plan before the race (Yes I repeated this purposely).

In my prep for a 70.3, that consuming greater than 350 created all sorts of stomach issues. Consuming just gatorade endurance created GI issues. Drinking excess water washed me clean of electrolytes contributing to a major bonk.

If you are having difficulty formulating a nutritional plan, hire a sports nutritionist. It would be a shame with all of your training to have your race day ruined by a nutritional strategy that was flawed or untested.

Look at Leopard's post again.........Leopard stated that each work out was an opportunity. Essentially, each workout is an opportunity to work on many aspects of your training AND your nutritional strategy. Don't worry about making a mistake, that is what the training is there for....so you don't make a mistake on your execution of your racing and nutrition strategy on race day.

Edited by Cyclingmaniac 2007-12-02 3:36 PM

2007-12-16 11:44 AM

User image

Expert
Newton, MA

I had already decided to try to live of the course, and ordered a tub of GE powder but hadn't actually tried it until after this post started. I wanted to finish up my last cytomax first. So I've now done 3 trainer rides using GE and water. 2x 90 minutes and 1x 2 1/2 hours. ALL 3 times I threw up in my mouth. Litterally. I don't usually like lemon-lime but I can't imagine that is causing me to throw up. So I bought some of the nuun berry flavor (usually my fav flavor in whatever product) and hated it. Just ordered some ecaps so I'll try those next with just water and stick to my stinger gels for calories. If the ecaps don't work then I might be doing the concentrated cytomax and just mixing with water from the course as someone suggested. I love the taste of the cytomax, so according to the adage, it should work come race day. Luckily I have 10+ months before IMFL to work this stuff out. I finished the 2 1/2 hour trainer ride without a problem even tho my stomach was ill about 45 minutes into it. I'm pretty sure I won't finish a 112 mile ride plus a marathon if I'm ill 45 minutes into the ride.

BTW, I think everyone should try the stinger gels. They're honey and taste great and very easy on the stomach. They will definitely be with me at IMFL.

2007-12-16 5:19 PM
in reply to: #1104635

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
chriselam - 2007-12-16 11:44 AM

I had already decided to try to live of the course, and ordered a tub of GE powder but hadn't actually tried it until after this post started. I wanted to finish up my last cytomax first. So I've now done 3 trainer rides using GE and water. 2x 90 minutes and 1x 2 1/2 hours. ALL 3 times I threw up in my mouth. Litterally. I don't usually like lemon-lime but I can't imagine that is causing me to throw up. So I bought some of the nuun berry flavor (usually my fav flavor in whatever product) and hated it. Just ordered some ecaps so I'll try those next with just water and stick to my stinger gels for calories. If the ecaps don't work then I might be doing the concentrated cytomax and just mixing with water from the course as someone suggested. I love the taste of the cytomax, so according to the adage, it should work come race day. Luckily I have 10+ months before IMFL to work this stuff out. I finished the 2 1/2 hour trainer ride without a problem even tho my stomach was ill about 45 minutes into it. I'm pretty sure I won't finish a 112 mile ride plus a marathon if I'm ill 45 minutes into the ride.

BTW, I think everyone should try the stinger gels. They're honey and taste great and very easy on the stomach. They will definitely be with me at IMFL.

Are you riding outdoors or indoors? I ask because you may be just drinking too much of it or you are using a too concentrated formula and maybe need to dilute it. NUUN's are greta but have 0 calories, which is not so great. Based on what you wrote, I would be curious to see the quantities you are consuming.
2007-12-16 6:48 PM
in reply to: #1104948

User image

Expert
Newton, MA

bryancd - 2007-12-16 6:19 PM Are you riding outdoors or indoors? I ask because you may be just drinking too much of it or you are using a too concentrated formula and maybe need to dilute it. NUUN's are greta but have 0 calories, which is not so great. Based on what you wrote, I would be curious to see the quantities you are consuming.

I'm riding indoors. We have about a foot of snow on the ground

I'm mixing 3 scoops into a 24oz water bottle, so 3 servings. I also have water. So at :15 and :45 I have 1/3 of a bottle of GE, and at :30 and :00 I have a gel and 1/3 of water. I'm certainly sweating my butt off, and i don't think its too much. I was doing exactly the same with cytomax with no problems. So that's about 100 cals of GE and 240 of gel, 340 total, which I thought was kind of light actually for an IM, maybe 60-160, depending on how I handled the extra calories in future training rides/runs. Any ideas?

2007-12-16 7:43 PM
in reply to: #1105045

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
yeah, I think you are drinking too much for indoor winter training. You may want to dial that back, or instead try a "drink when you are thirsty" strategy instead of all the structure and see how it works. I personally do not go by time, I go by feel as to when to drink. I'm concerned that the go by time plan often leads to too much hydration, which is the problem, it's not too little for most AG'ers.
2007-12-21 8:58 PM
in reply to: #1105141

In my opinion and experience (both as a Sports Dietitian and 3-time IM finisher), the 4 key points to a successful IM nutrition program are as follows:
1. Train as you plan to race (pace and nutrition wise). Long training runs, rides, bricks are not only for endurance and pace training but also for nutrition training. Do not skimp on calories, fluids or electrolytes during your key workouts. Do aim to drink sports drink at a rate of 24-32oz/hr that contains 14-15 grams of carbs and about 200mg sodium per 8oz serving. Do monitor your body weight pre and post workouts with the goal of maintaining your weight as close as possible from before to after each training session (to ensure adequate hydration). Do consume 30-60 grams of carbs per hour during long training, noting how you feel and adjusting as needed until you find what works best for you. Do walk and fuel during long training runs if that is your plan, and don’t during the race (if you can help it that is), if you haven’t trained to do it.
2. Create a nutrition and pacing plan for your race. Again, try taking in a bit more or less carbs during training (within the recommended range above) to see what works optimally for your pace, energy and GI tolerance. Record what you take in (fluid, sports drink, water, carbs etc) and how each workout goes, so you can look back and analyze it to optimize your race day nutrition plan intelligently and in advance of race day.
3. Stick to it on race day if all goes well (to avoid the stupid mistakes we all have made). Not much explanation here-no new foods, drinks, gels, goos or other items “just because they are there” or “because someone else did it”
4. Do be willing to adjust your pacing and nutrition plan as needed on race day for INTELLIGENT reasons (unexpected heat, not feeling 100%, etc) but only for VALID reasons. If you feel that the heat an humidity have risen, DO increase your fluids and electrolytes, but in a calculated and scientific manner (not just more, more, more), and continue to pay attention to how you feel (what else should you be doing out there for 8-17 hours…?). Do take in a more less carbs if you feel your stomach starting to give you trouble-but again, downshift a bit, not completely. By the same token, do increase your carbs SLIGHTLY if you went out too hard (and therefore used up extra precious carbs) but again, modify it in small increments and pay attention to what you are doing and how you are feeling.
IM training takes time, patience and attention to detail. With more attention to nutrition detail most triathletes can not only feel better, but also perform better on race day. Too many IM athletes have nutrition horror stories to tell-lets try to end that here! KISS....but have a plan.

Lauren Antonucci RD, CSSD
Registered Dietitian Certified as a Specialist in Sports Dietetics
Member of the Gatorade Sports Science Institute sports nutrition network

2007-12-22 1:10 PM
in reply to: #1105141

User image

Expert
Newton, MA

bryancd - 2007-12-16 8:43 PM yeah, I think you are drinking too much for indoor winter training. You may want to dial that back, or instead try a "drink when you are thirsty" strategy instead of all the structure and see how it works. I personally do not go by time, I go by feel as to when to drink. I'm concerned that the go by time plan often leads to too much hydration, which is the problem, it's not too little for most AG'ers.

Bryan, looks like you were exactly right. I did my long bike just now on the trainer (2:45), bottle of GE and 2 bottles of water, drank when thirsty and a couple of gels when I felt like it and it worked fine, absolutely no digestion problems, I finished only 1 of the 2 bottles and the bottle of GE and feel fine. Thanks for your help. I guess I'll worry about figuring out the nutrition when I get back to riding outside in the summer. Foot of snow on the ground right now so I have a few months unfortunately.

Thanks again! 

2007-12-22 2:33 PM
in reply to: #1114416

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
chriselam - 2007-12-22 1:10 PM

bryancd - 2007-12-16 8:43 PM yeah, I think you are drinking too much for indoor winter training. You may want to dial that back, or instead try a "drink when you are thirsty" strategy instead of all the structure and see how it works. I personally do not go by time, I go by feel as to when to drink. I'm concerned that the go by time plan often leads to too much hydration, which is the problem, it's not too little for most AG'ers.

Bryan, looks like you were exactly right. I did my long bike just now on the trainer (2:45), bottle of GE and 2 bottles of water, drank when thirsty and a couple of gels when I felt like it and it worked fine, absolutely no digestion problems, I finished only 1 of the 2 bottles and the bottle of GE and feel fine. Thanks for your help. I guess I'll worry about figuring out the nutrition when I get back to riding outside in the summer. Foot of snow on the ground right now so I have a few months unfortunately.

Thanks again! 

Good deal!
2009-07-10 10:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
Got such a great reaction on the "IM: What it takes" thread thought I'd bump this gem too!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Race Nutrition Rss Feed  

of 4