General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New and doing a half-ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-11-21 9:42 AM

New user

Germany
Subject: New and doing a half-ironman
Hi! I'm an army girl and I've been wanting to start doing triathlons for a long time now and I've really dived in headfirst. I signed up for the Gulf Coast Half-Ironman and I have 6 months to train. I'm in good shape and I have a great 20-week training plan to get me to where I need to be, but I am scared out of my mind.

Has anyone done a half-ironman? I'd really like to know if it's doable. I know I can do anything I set my mind to, but is this unrealistic to do in 6 months? I've done a half-marathon easily before and I can do each of the distances individually. All I want to do is finish!! My boyfriend is doing it with me and he's my motivator and training partner (although he's in much better shape).

I guess I'm looking for reassurance that I can do it or someone to tell me I'm crazy and I'm going to die...haha. Thanks either way!

“All your life you are told the things you cannot do.
All your life they will say you’re not good enough or talented enough;
They will say you’re the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or be this or achieve this.
They will tell you NO, a thousand times no, until all the no’s become meaningless.
All your life they will tell you no, quite firmly and very quickly.
And you will tell them YES.”
~Nike Ad

2007-11-21 10:36 AM
in reply to: #1063740

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
Subject: RE: New and doing a half-ironman

Have done one Half IM (June) and followed the 20 week program here as best as I could (and family schedule would allow).  Prior to that had only done a few sprint races.

When you get to the long runs and ride, make sure to work on your nutrition, especially your electrolyte intake, so you don’t error on race day.  I missed this point in training and screwed up on race day by not taking in enough sodium and potassium on the bike legs and the legs started cramping with 13 miles left.  Then had nothing left for the run and was forced to walk/waddle.  The run ended up taking as long as the bike.

Hope my lesson is something will learn from and have a FUN race…and training.

2007-11-21 12:36 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

1st Tri this year (and in my life) was the Spirit of Racine (Wi.) 1/2 Ironman, with my 2nd Tri (ever) was IM Wisconsin (Moo, as we call it).

I'm 42, work 40 hours a week, am married and have 3 kids, coach youth club sports, and did my own plan and worked on what I could on my own.  I met up with some good persons (the Tri-Donkais) that have a very positive, influential attitude about triathlons which helped me become better.  Also, the BT community is probably THE best place to be for advice!

If you are an army girl, then I don't foresee any issues with you accomplishing your goal, especially if you have a BF that is working with you!  Good luck!

2007-11-28 9:02 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Welcome to this crazy world. Gulf Coast is a great race and you will have a blast. I am returning to Gulf Coast after taking a year off. Hope to see you on the Gulf Coast circuit.
2007-11-30 8:47 PM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

If you've done a half-mary, that's probably half the battle.  Plan to spend many a weekend doing long (60, 70 mile) rides on the bike... and like ty said, practice your nutrition plan on those rides (and your long runs as well).

Good luck!  We'll look for your race report in 6 months!! 

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New and doing a half-ironman Rss Feed