General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ever wonder why you still do it? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-11-22 7:15 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: Ever wonder why you still do it?
In my running club in order to keep up with someone (if they show up) I have to run well into zone 3 and even push zone 4.

I try to stick to the training and run in zone 2. If I eat less and stick zone 2 weight does come off. If I get lazy and eat bad well comes back even faster I swear.

So I stick to my plan.

I am not doing my group 10 mile run today. Only way I can feel apart of it all is if I run early. Today I had to get there about 45 minutes earlier. Ideally as I am on the home stretch people will pass me by and I get to see everyone and this way everyone sees I am actually out there running and not just going to starbucks for an hour or 2.

This morning I am tired and frustrated and I wonder why I even bother. I am no where near the same speed as everyone else. If I start with everyone they tend to be long gone by the time I am finished so I can not even say hi.

So I wonder why I even bother.

2007-11-22 8:04 AM
in reply to: #1065036

User image

Veteran
Newcastle, England
Subject: RE: Ever wonder why you still do it?

Have you thought you may be going to the wrong club???

Find a group that you can run with in zone 2 if thats your plan but that also has faster groups so you can push yourself if need be.

If i rin with my club i quite often make that mytempo run ... but ocationaly run at the back with new runners.

I have a few friends i run with at other times and that gives me the flexabilty i need to stick to the plan

2007-11-22 8:58 PM

Veteran
Very interesting thread. I am feeling the same way today. I did the Turkey Trot 5 miler and was last. It was ridiculously hard and people walked faster than I ran. I guess I am feeling sorry for myself. I was feeling every overweight pound. I haven't improved in 4 years. Not one minute.
2007-11-23 1:16 AM

User image

Expert
White House, TN

Yep.  I wonder why I still do it every morning when the alarm goes off.

What I've learned is that I do it because it ties me to what I used to be.  I was always running around as a kid.  I was a good runner in my high school and college days.  Not great but good.  And I liked myself then.

I run because of who it makes me now.  It challenges me in a world that seems to want nothing but ease.  I am so blessed to have the biggest concern on my life be trying to break 20:00 in a 5k.

I run because it carries me to who I am becoming, which has little to do with a stopwatch or a scale.  I'm quickly learning that endurance isn't just a physical trait, it's a spiritual one as well.  Running helps me to be a better person.

Maybe each of us should take a day and think about the INTERNAL reasons we do this and not the external ones.

2007-11-23 1:37 AM
in reply to: #1065655

User image

Veteran
Newcastle, England
Hawkeye - 2007-11-23 7:16 AM

I run because of who it makes me now.  It challenges me in a world that seems to want nothing but ease.  I am so blessed to have the biggest concern on my life be trying to break 20:00 in a 5k.

I run because it carries me to who I am becoming, which has little to do with a stopwatch or a scale.  I'm quickly learning that endurance isn't just a physical trait, it's a spiritual one as well.  Running helps me to be a better person.

Maybe each of us should take a day and think about the INTERNAL reasons we do this and not the external ones.

Well said

2007-11-23 8:38 AM
in reply to: #1065689

User image

Pro
Without house
WildWill - 2007-11-23 1:37 AM

I run because of who it makes me now. It challenges me in a world that seems to want nothing but ease. I am so blessed to have the biggest concern on my life be trying to break 20:00 in a 5k.

I run because it carries me to who I am becoming, which has little to do with a stopwatch or a scale. I'm quickly learning that endurance isn't just a physical trait, it's a spiritual one as well. Running helps me to be a better person.

Well said

x2 

2007-11-23 9:00 AM
in reply to: #1065791

maggyruth - 2007-11-23 8:38 AM
WildWill - 2007-11-23 1:37 AM

I run because of who it makes me now. It challenges me in a world that seems to want nothing but ease. I am so blessed to have the biggest concern on my life be trying to break 20:00 in a 5k.

I run because it carries me to who I am becoming, which has little to do with a stopwatch or a scale. I'm quickly learning that endurance isn't just a physical trait, it's a spiritual one as well. Running helps me to be a better person.

Well said

x2 

x3

Run for you and your own goals and don't worry about everyone else.  I'm in the same boat being a beginner and recovering from knee surgery.  Take a look back at where you were when you started and the progress you've made so far.  Those accomplishments alone are impressive.  Good luck!

2007-11-23 10:08 AM

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
I'm quickly learning that endurance isn't just a physical trait, it's a spiritual one as well. Running helps me to be a better person.

OMG Yes!

I just started running this past August and I weighed 264 pounds. Believe me, I wonder what the heck I'm doing, every single day when I take that first step, swim that first stroke, or even think about getting on that bike. It hurts every time, but every day it hurts for shorter periods of time and I go further and further and weigh less and less.

I read a lot of what you post, but I believe this is the first time I've ever commented. One thing I've noticed about you is that you're all over the place. You seem to be always changing your training (which includes nutrition). Try sticking to the same plan for awhile and see how that goes. Stay in that Z2-3. Burn that fat. Lose that weight. You'll become fitter and faster as time goes by. Not tomorrow, or the next day, but it'll happen.

It's worth it to not stop. Don't ever give up.
2007-11-23 4:06 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Well its not that I do not like running. I enjoy it. Sometimes I wonder why I keep running with the club since I am more just running the same distance at the same time but I am not running with anyone. I guess it gets to me.

One of my running clubs have a no one runs alone policy but that applies to everyone but me. I can not wait until I am just the tall triathlete and not the tall and fat.

2007-12-02 4:44 PM

I learned one thing right away last spring- Running with people half my age and half my size is a good prescription for pain, which does not equal gain. I run alone usually with my mp3, and have just been consistently and very very slowly picking up speed. After one year, I have usually 3-4 good runs a week. It is fun!!!! Easy does it!!!!
2007-12-02 4:58 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
well I am emailing my running club. I am not going to do our water stop because I am not going to run with the club on saturdays until march. I am not sleeping at on friday nights so I wake up and run completely exhausted and have a bad run. I have to get up so I can get the water stop out. I do not even get to that on my runs. To me its not worth it. If I wake up and sleep then I can come out but otherwise I am better off sleeping in and doing my own work outs.

Saturday the second slowest out there who complains people at alot faster than her runs about 3 mins / mile faster than me.

Edited by chirunner134 2007-12-02 4:59 PM

2007-12-02 4:59 PM

User image

Philadelphia, PA

chirunner134 You are good at starting threads, why not take it to the next level and start  an Athena & Clydesdale only running club at a YMCA or other gym. There has to be others that feel this way in your area. It may even bring more people like us off the couch. They won't fear having to keep up with the little guys get frustrated and quit. I have been kicking around the idea of doing the same in my area. I have also started a blog http://clydesdaletriahlontraining.blogspot.com/ that documents the ups and down of a bigger triathlete. I read both Triathlete Mag. and Runner's world but all of the articles talk to the little runners and athletes so I started my own. It gives us big guys a place to go. Just an idea.

2007-12-03 3:31 AM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
I could have written this same post. This is sort of why I feel better off training alone. I get frustrated being left by the pack (ditto to the "no one runs alone" policy going out the window) so I ignore my HR zones and my form just to keep up, and it ends up being agonizing and not enjoyable, and if I keep up I get frustrated and upset. Rather than focusing on the, "alright, way to go, 8 mile run!" aspect, I get left with, "You were last, and finished 30 min later than everyone else" guilt. I think when it comes down to it, its just that I like to train alone, and push myself, rather than try to compete all the time. Race day, for some reason is different, but i just can't handle that pressure in my training.
2007-12-03 7:29 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
When the weather is warmer I have people who come out to run with but over winter alot of people stay away and avoid the cold. Tuesday nights its not so bad since I tend to run early so they all pace me as I run. That is not bad since I get to do my thing and I get to see everyone.

I figure if I can I will see if I can just do my training on my own and hopely come spring I will be fast enough to keep up with the larger faster groups.
2007-12-03 1:22 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

To echo what Hawkeye said, I don't do it for anyone else or to try to be social.  I do it for myself.  Training makes me feel better physically and mentally.  It gives me something to work for and something to look forward to. 

I've tried group training and it doesn't really work for me.  Either I'm slower than people and I have to work harder than I should or I have to slow down for other people and not get in the right workout.  So, I train mostly solo.  It's a little lonely, but I also have a lot of time to think about things.   

2007-12-10 10:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Orygun

Gotta agree---you have to do it for you, no one else (that includes not trying to keep up w/ everyone else).

I do most of my training solo, because I don't want to have to worry about slowing someone else down, struggling to keep up, or (HA!) waiting for someone else... But I have a group of friends who are also into this stuff, and we'll occasionally work out together, but most often they're there for support.  Even if you don't work out w/ anyone else you can still get the social support you need.

Congratulate yourself for sticking w/ it, and just keep running. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ever wonder why you still do it? Rss Feed