General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Overcoming Patellar Tendonitis Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-11-24 11:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: Overcoming Patellar Tendonitis
I've been fighting patellar tendonitis all season and have lived with the pain by taking ortho prescribed anti-imflamatories all year long. Yes, he told me to take some time off this summer, but I just didn't want to miss any races. Since my season ended 2 Saturday's ago I knew I had to take some running time off to try to get the tendonitis taken care of. I've been to the Ortho and had MRI's done and there is no other damage other than the inflamed patellar tendons in both knees.

After 2 weeks of no running and regular icing I still have pain in both knees. I've been on a few rides but have kept them at higher cadence to not put pressure on my knees at all. I prepared myself mentally for 3 weeks off but it's very depressing as I sense all my fitness going out the window. I know this is the off season and I planned on some down time but if the pain is not gone after next week I feel like I'll just have to deal with the pain again next year.

This is a real bummer because I know I could run faster next year if it weren't for the pain in my knees. Any advice from anyone that's gone through this? I'm all ears. I REALLY want the pain to go away but not sure how much longer I can stay away from running. What else can I do to make the tendonitis go away?

2007-11-25 12:43 AM
in reply to: #1066940

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Subject: RE: Overcoming Patellar Tendonitis
That is a tough one, never had the tendonitis but I tore my patella off in my left knee and it was 6 months before I got back to work. It was a long recovery but it did happen though it will never be the same.

For you whatever the doctor says you should do it maybe a month off or even more. You will get your fitness level back after that, if you don't take the time off you may never get a chance to get better times if you are always in pain.
2007-11-25 6:42 AM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Time off is the only thing that will take care of tendonitis. Let the body heal itself. No ice, no stretching, just rest from anything that aggravates it.
2007-11-25 8:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Take the time off. Don't run or bike until at least January. I know it's hard to accept the downtime, but you'll come back stronger and faster if you're pain free.
2007-11-25 8:18 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Take the time off now. I know it is hard. But like you said, if you start running again, you will have the pain all next season and you will cause more damage. I pulled a hip flexor back in September. I did not run for all of October. I tried to run in November, but the pain soon returned. I am not running until January. I know my fitness is gone out the window. I know I will be slow when I start back. But I don't think I have a chance in hell of improving my speed if I have a chronic injury, either. Patience, my friend. Patience.

Pam
2007-11-26 9:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tinton Falls, NJ
Rick,

I feel your pain as I have barely run a step since August 26 (ran 50 miles on Aug 25 and 31 miles on Aug 26 before having to pull out of a 3-day ultra event). As someone who has been running for 20-years and never having taken off 3-months straight in that 20yr stretch, I can appreciate how hard that is.

My diagnosis is not exactly the same as yours (I have patellar chondromalacia), but with that, the rehab steps are fairly similar. The 1st thing you need to remember is that a 14-day break for the rehab of a tendon is nothing (I know you don't want to hear that, but better to miss run time in Nov/Dec than in June/July). As some of the other posts have noted, the 1st thing you need to do is stop any activities that aggravate it (I'm sure if you have a good PT he/she has also told you this).

The only thing I would disagree with is the stretching/cycling. My ortho and PT have given me clearance to ride as it causes zero aggravation to my knee and actually part of the PT prescription includes stretching..again, this is only if it doesn't bother you. Assuming you are working with an ortho/PT who routinely deals with athletes, hopefully they are sensitive to the fact that zero activity is probably not an option at this stage.

Trust me, my patience is wearing very thin as I just started Dexamethasone treatments this week with the hope that the inflammation will itself by Jan 1. Use this time to focus on other things so we're not still hearing from you on this topic when it really counts - next season! Note: I'm trying to heed my own advice :o)

Best of luck.

2007-11-26 11:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hoboken, NJ

Hey Rick...

I was just diagnosed w/ PT  a few weeks ago.  FWIW, time off alone didn't help - I first noticed the pain a couple of months ago and then stopped training completely for other reasons.  The pain persisted and didn't really decrease over the two months I didn't train - it wasn't terrible, but I could always feel it, especially going up stairs.  When I resumed my workout I went to a physical therapist and she diagnosed it (I didn't know what it was until then). 

In just a few sessions she's really alleviated the pain and I expect it to be gone in a few weeks (it would be quicker If I consistently did the stretches and exercises and icing she prescribed for 'homework').  Also, I work out twice a day and while she said I should decrease the intensity and duration of my runs and biking, she didn't see the need to stop entirely.  Following is the regimen I've been following (note I haven't taken any drugs/antiinflammatories):

Physical Therapy (twice a week):

* An electrical  stimulator - not sure what its called, but she places an electrode on either side of the tender area at the top of the shin and it contracts the muscle in a rhythmic way.  She keeps it on for about 15 minutes.

* Quad and hamstring exercises (leg lifts and similar; also some shallow squats)

* Quad/hamstring/calf stretches - some on my own, some she stretches me.

* A knee massage - fyi the patellar tendon stretches from the bottom of the quad (that area, anyway) over the knee cap to the top of the shin.  She massages my knee cap, moving it around and basically stretching the tendon.  She had said that when I first went the tendon felt really tight - not much float in the knee - and that it's improved.  From my perspective, I think its the massage that's really doing the trick - I immediately noticed a decrease in the discomfort.

* light cardio (unless I went to the gym right before therapy, which I've done once or twice)

I've only gone for 3 sessions but see a marked difference.  Also, I've kept up my running, etc., just at a slightly lower intensity.  Also. before I started PT I would notice an increased sensitivity after my workouts.  Now, with the decrease in intensity and the PT, the increase in sensitivity is significantly less and also persists for a much shorter period - 30-45 mintes max (if that).

Also, I'm supposed to ice and stretch at home but I've been extremely negligent in doing so.  When I get more consistent with that I'm sure I'll see quicker results.

Hope this helps... 

2007-11-26 2:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Thanks for the info. I haven't gone to PT but I have been stretching and icing regularly. It's been just over 2 weeks since my last run and the pain is mostly gone. Only when I sit for a long time and can't stretch my legs out do I notice any pain.

I'm hoping to go for a low intensity run this weekend to see how it feels. If there is still pain then I'll see if similar PT sessions will help.
2007-11-26 3:19 PM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

I had this while training for my first marathon and my PT did the same thing ezl's did. The massage, plus taping on my knee helped a good bit. I took off 2 weeks and then resumed training and even ran the mary. I also used a knee strap similar to a cho-pat.

After the marathon I took about a week off and then resumed running but much much shorter distances. Kept my long run at about 5 miles (instead of 15-18) for about 2 months and my pain went away. Iced my knee after every run, and took ibuprofen when I needed it for any issues. Kept the exercises the PT gave me and self massaged the knee cap. By the end of the summer (this happened in May) I was pain free and have been (knock on wood) since then (over a year now), but I still do the exercises and self massage. PT said my left quad was weaker and was not stabilizing my knee cap the way it should...

Good luck.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Overcoming Patellar Tendonitis Rss Feed