General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need help: motivation after baby and going back to work Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-11-25 9:21 AM

User image

Rochester, NY
Subject: Need help: motivation after baby and going back to work

Hey folks. I was getting into the training thing, even did some races, but then I got pregnant. Did nothing except walking for 9+ months, then during maternity leave got back into exercising daily. Then I went back to work. Between working and nursing, I barely had time to sleep, much less exercise.

My baby is almost 11 months now, and I'm no longer nursing, but, you guessed it, I'm not exercising. I really need a kick in the butt. I can't use the motivation of losing my baby weight because I already did. Now I'm thin, slightly flabby and muscle-less. Help! 

2007-11-25 9:28 AM
in reply to: #1067036

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Need help: motivation after baby and going back to work
Just think of how buff you will be this summer if you start your exercising now. And, you are WAY ahead of the game because you've already lost your pregnancy weight.

And, when you have to get up dark-30 to get your workout in before the kids wake up and you leave for work, know that I'm up then too. : )

It may help to identify and sign up for a race to give you a goal to work towards.
2007-11-25 11:11 AM

User image

Expert
Columbia, MD

Idea #1:  Spend some money and sign up for a race.  You're more likely to train if you have a goal.

Idea #2:  Find a workout partner(s).  Workout with a group.  Join a tri club.  Being accountable to others is very motivating.  Also, making training social makes it more fun.

Idea #3:  Subscribe to a magazine (or 3, like me).  Reading about this sport motivates me.
Idea #4:  Watch any triathlon videos on YouTube.  Interesting, informational, motivating.
2007-11-25 12:18 PM

User image

Master
NJ
Do you have access to a gym with babysitting avail.? Even when I really don't feel like working out, having time without the kids is an incentive sometimes. Especially when it's too dark and cold to play outside andthey're stir crazy from being indoors too much. I also joined one of the monthly challenges here and that helped motivate me to get out there.
2007-11-25 4:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson, OH
I agree with the above poster. You should join a gym that offers babysitting. Our gym has a nursery and its great for me to get my swim in (and lift and run and whatever else)... and its also great for our daughter to get some time away from me - playing with other kids - being around different adults.

2007-11-25 4:53 PM
in reply to: #1067094

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka, MN
MelissaE - 2007-11-25 11:11 AM

Idea #1: Spend some money and sign up for a race. You're more likely to train if you have a goal.

Idea #2: Find a workout partner(s). Workout with a group. Join a tri club. Being accountable to others is very motivating. Also, making training social makes it more fun.

Idea #3: Subscribe to a magazine (or 3, like me). Reading about this sport motivates me.
Idea #4: Watch any triathlon videos on YouTube. Interesting, informational, motivating.

Number one worked for me. I wasn't post-pregnancy, just fat and out of shape.

Signed up for IMMOO and lost 30 pounds so far. Fear is a great motivator.

2007-11-25 9:09 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

so for me training with a trainer worked as that was money I was not going to away - so I FOR SURE made those sessions!

then I signed up for everything else....

but of course as soon as I stopped nursing I got pregnant again.....lol

2007-11-26 6:19 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Your life is way different now working and having a fun little one at home. I think you need to give yourself some slack and enjoy this special time with your baby. Sure training is important but your time is now much more limited than before.

Sign up for a road race or two in the next couple of months..motivation to get back to running.

Pick a couple of sprint tris to do next summer and sign up.

Key I think is for you to find the time to train. Clearly you have the desire but adjusting to working and having a baby is challenging.  Weekends probably are when you have the  most free time, I'd suggest focusing in on training then and try to maybe do 1-2 lunch time workouts if possible or shorter workouts either before or after work.

Do you have a jogging stroller? Maybe ask for one for the holidays. Sure when it is cold you won't want to take the baby out, but there are days here and again when it is warmer plus come spring time that will be a fun thing to do together. 

Good luck finding the right balance~ 

2007-11-26 6:42 AM

Extreme Veteran
All great ideas...

Baby steps, get to the Y or local gym today and take it from there...one day at a tme.
Sometimes, you only have to go once for something to click.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need help: motivation after baby and going back to work Rss Feed