General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best way to improve swimming distance or time? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-11-26 8:31 PM

Subject: Best way to improve swimming distance or time?
Hello,

I am currently training for my first tri this coming summer. My probelm is i can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? Any of the training plans i have found start with being able to swim 400 meters. Is it realistic to go from 40 to 750m in 6 months?? How much should i aim to improve weekly/daily or in how long??

Thanks in advance

2007-11-26 8:43 PM
in reply to: #1069196

Subject: RE: Best way to improve swimming distance or time?
Have no fear!!!

My wife and I did our first sprint 2 years ago. I could only swim 50 yds without stopping. She could only do 25 yds. She barely knew how to swim.

We both kept going, 3 times a week and slowly would add a lap here and another there until one day we were able to go the whole distance. Probably took 4-6 weeks or so.
If I remeber it seems like we both hit a wall around 6 or 8 laps for several sessions then one day we went from 6 or 8 laps to being able do go 600 yds which is the distance of the race we were training for.

Concentrate on your form and going slow.

Just keep splashing and you will do it
2007-11-26 8:43 PM

User image

Expert
Carmel
It is reallistic but you probably need to take a lesson just to get your stroke down. Breathing while you swim should feel like breathing normal, just slowed down and thats probably whats holding you back.

Take a lesson, and youll be ready to go by the time your race comes around.
2007-11-26 8:51 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

I would bet you are trying to swim too fast.

Definitely get someone to look at your stroke if you can.  Even if it's just another experience swimmer at the pool.  One or two small tweaks can make all the difference in the world!

And yes...keep at it.  Swimming takes a lot of consistency.  Get there 4-5 times a week if you can! 

2007-11-26 9:34 PM

User image

Expert
I'm in the same boat, but it's is a very realistic goal.

A month and a half ago, I was able to swim about 1 lap before needing a 2-3 minute break. I did a tri in June and couldn't make it to the first bouy. Last week, I did 30 laps without stopping. Not fast, but still without stopping.

I joined a local tri-club in mid-October, and am swimming 3 hours a week. The coaching helped out a lot. See if you can find a local YMCA, with swim lessons or a master's team or a tri-club.

Then stick with it It's frustrating to start out with, but if you find a good group, they will be very supportive while you are trying to get the hang of it.
2007-11-26 9:41 PM

User image

DC
You can definitely do it! I am a lifeguard at my campus pool and you wouldn't believe some of the progress I have seen people make over the course of just a semester (or you will believe it in a few months!!!!)
Having someone look at your stroke helps. Ask around at your pool- if asking another swimmer isn't comfortable for you, talk to the lifeguards; they will recommend someone. My friend is on the varsity swim team and will give private lessons for about $20 for half an hour- much cheaper than a pro and probably just as good.
Being relaxed in the water is probably the best thing you can do. The more relaxed you are and the more you stretch out, the easier and more efficient your stroke will be.

2007-11-26 9:49 PM

Extreme Veteran
El Cajon, Ca
I agree with what has been said. I started training this past July and could barely swim 50 yds. I have been able to swim two times a week, most weeks. I am now swimming 1500yds per swim. I am not fast, I know it is not pretty, but it is 1500yds. I also need to get into a masters program or find a coach. One day.

Amy
2007-11-26 10:21 PM

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, IL
Totally realistic! I went from being a non-swimmer a year and a half ago to not really a swimmer but I haven't been the last out of the water. It just takes time, and it feels great when you add a few lengths onto your previous best. Good Luck!
2007-11-27 7:25 AM
in reply to: #1069234

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
jldicarlo - 2007-11-26 8:51 PM

I would bet you are trying to swim too fast.

Definitely get someone to look at your stroke if you can.  Even if it's just another experience swimmer at the pool.  One or two small tweaks can make all the difference in the world!

And yes...keep at it.  Swimming takes a lot of consistency.  Get there 4-5 times a week if you can! 

I've been workign with a coach at the my local Y and the last session he had me really slow my stroke down and stretch out my stroke and I was amazed at the difference in breathing, I was able to swim much longer yardage without stopping and still had my breath. 

2007-11-27 7:33 AM

User image

Champion
You're going through the same thing that most of us nonswimmers did when we first started.  Just keep swimming.  It gets better.
2007-11-27 7:36 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
when i started it sucked to go the quarter mile in my first tri............just be dilligent in getting into the pool.  i would recommend (as the others have) a "coach" and checking the links on BT for swim drills and technique..........oh yeah, one more thing, never doubt yourself!

2007-11-27 7:37 AM

User image

massachusetts
I was in the same boat last season, but I was able to eventually get up to a mile. My only issue was my stroke was not very efficient and ended up doing several different strokes during the race.
This year I bought the Total Immersion book and have been doing the drills in the order he says to and it is now actually clicking with me on how all the parts come together. The author really makes it easy to understand.
Good Luck!
2007-11-27 11:22 AM

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
rebekah - 2007-11-26 9:31 PM
Is it realistic to go from 40 to 750m in 6 months??

Absolutely it's realistic to progress that far in 6 mos., provided you swim consistently and, as everyone else says, get your stroke looked at by someone who knows swimming.

You didn't specify whether the swim is an open water swim ( lake or ocean ) or in a pool. I'm guessing open water swim, since it's in the summer. If it is an open water swim then you want to do as many of those as you can before the race.

I'll be 44 next month and I did my first tri in March. I started swimming in late December for the first time ever. My tri swim was 500 yds in a pool. I had no problems making it to the end. I did end up swimming breast stroke part of the way, and my time was slow, but who cares. I only wanted to finish and I did that with no problem.

You can do it too.

Edited by tri42 2007-11-27 11:24 AM
2007-11-27 1:04 PM

User image

Master

After you have someone look at your stroke:

http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html

2007-11-27 1:09 PM

Thanks to everyone i have taken a few private lessons and the coach thought i had a really strong stroke so i guess i will just keep at it. Thanks again for your support and ideas.
2007-11-27 1:18 PM
in reply to: #1070394

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Definitely stick with it!

I went from not having done any real swimming in December of '05 to finishing a half ironman swim in June of '06.  It wasn't pretty, and I breast stroked a lot, but I made it without being completely in the back of the pack (but not far off).

I spent a LOT of time in the pool this year (comparatively) and am finally having a one on one session with a coach tomorrow for the first time.

Congrats on your progress and welcome to BT!

2007-11-27 2:59 PM

Keep at it. Take some lessons or at the VERY least, get someone to look at your stroke. Slow down. Another thing that helped me, since I have no upper body endurance was to do slow, even strokes with the pull buoy, really focusing on my stroke technique. Then you don't tire yourself out kicking and you build up the upper body strength to not have to kick like a maniac to stay afloat. Tri-swimming is not about kicking fast. We're not doing a 50 meter sprint. You kick to keep yourself afloat more than you kick to propel yourself. Obviously, you do propel yourself, but you also don't want to wear out your legs for the bike and run, if that makes sense. A lot of speed can be gained from good technique. I'm essentially a novice swimmer; I never swam competitively, though I did swim a lot as a kid. I'm a short, petite girl - most swimmers are tall. But I have good technique. So that helps me be pretty fast comparatively. I have only done two tris and they were both smaller events here in NoVa, but I held my own in the swim and did quite well compared to the rest of my AG and all the women in general.
2007-11-27 7:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pennsylvania
Just remember there is no rule that says you can't doggie paddle through the swim (or stop to take a breathe). But in six months you should be fine if you train on a consistent basis. I read above that you should consider taking a class and that is a great idea. You may have the skill set to do the swim, but may not have your stroke the way you need it to be. Keep at it and good luck for that first race!

Edited by PSUguru 2007-11-27 7:06 PM
2007-11-28 5:01 AM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

Make sure you are giving yourself enough time in the pool. Many triathletes that aren't strong swimmers only have 20 or 30 minute pool sessions, hardly enough to improve. Give yourself 45 min to an hour even if you are only doing 25's and 50's. Work a lot of 25 yd drills, do a lot of 25 kicks, anything to keep it interesting.

There is one good thing about not being an efficient swimmer, you are getting a much better cardio workout than those fast swimmers!

PM me with some of your pool workouts and I'd be happy to offer some suggestions or workouts that would help you.

2007-11-28 1:41 PM

It’s not that hard to improve your swimming.

I’m a couple of months shy of 50. I could swim well enough not to drown.

Decided to do a Tri in spring 08 so I joined a master's club 8 weeks ago.

Swam 25 metres and almost died. People in the club said if my fitness improved I could swim longer.

But my fitness was good. I ride 50-70 km 4 times a week and did several 100ks. I can run 10ks no problem. I was wondering what kind of intense fitness level do you need to swim?

After 4 weeks swimming 4 times a week there was no improvement; I still could not manage beyond 25 metres.

So I got the Total Immmersion book and followed the drills.

After 2 weeks following the drills (4 times per week at 45 minutes per workout) I swam 800 metres non-stop in 21 minutes. Felt fine afterwards.

Last week I went to a swim competition. All I wanted to do was experience the race. My only goal was to finish. Did an 800 metre in 18:20. Wasn’t tired at all afterwards

I’m pretty certain I can bring this time down another 3-4 minutes in the next 4-6 weeks.

I highly recommend Total Immersion to improve your swimming quickly. Be patient and just do the drills.
2007-11-28 6:25 PM

User image

Buttercup

rebekah - 2007-11-26 9:31 PM Hello, I am currently training for my first tri this coming summer. My probelm is i can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? Any of the training plans i have found start with being able to swim 400 meters. Is it realistic to go from 40 to 750m in 6 months?? How much should i aim to improve weekly/daily or in how long?? Thanks in advance

If you hit the pool 3x per week, you should easily - EASILY - get up to 750 yards continuous swim in 3 months.

First, have someone observe your stroke to see if there are any obvious changes you need to make to your stroke. Good form makes the swim easy and, therefore, faster but bear this in mind: MANY/MOST/THE MAJORITY of people at triathlons do not have great form. That tells you that you don't have to have perfect/great form to get through the swim. I saw an elite athlete with an atrocious windmill stroke at St Anthony's Olympic Triathlon - he was 3rd out of the water. He had a fast, crappy stroke. Go figure. I recall an Olympic swimmer who was delicately asked to describe her stroke (it was unusual, shall we say) and her reply was "I would describe it as rapid." Can't argue with results. Anyhoo, I don't recommend cultivating a sloppy stroke, just pointing out that it is not the end all/be all unless you want to be an elite athlete and even then, apparently, it is not an absolute requirement. Also, what you lack in form you can somewhat compensate for  with a strong core (I've seen a beginner with a positively horrendous stroke swim at better than most beginner times thanks to his strong core.)

Second, just swim.  Decide that you will put in 200 yards on Monday. If you have to do 8x25 to get the 200 yards, that's ok. The next time, do 4x50. Then the next time do 6x50. The next time do 6x75. Then 6x100. Then 6x125. And so on. You could probably progress much more quickly than that but I'm using conservative incremental increases so that you can get there easily.

If I were you, I would also spend some time at the US Masters Swimming website. Plenty of articles on swim form, building your own practice sets, etc., and a discussion forum. You could also use that site to find a local Masters team to join.

Swimming is such an awesome and self-rewarding sport. I hope you enjoy it. Good luck!

DISCLAIMER: I have a beautiful stroke but I learned it at a very young age; it's just a matter of muscle memory for me. Maybe I wouldn't have this perspective if I had a crappy stroke, so take it with a grain of salt. In fact, I would advise that you take ALL internet advice with a grain of salt - everyone has a POV that might be totally irrelevant to your goals and objectives. However, I assume that if you were intensely serious about becoming a competitor that you would be seeking the advice and input of a real life coach instead of asking for advice on a beginner's board.

Edited by Renee 2007-11-28 6:29 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best way to improve swimming distance or time? Rss Feed