UW Medical Center
39F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 51m 43s
Overall Rank = 1064/8000?
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 161/611
Pre-race routine:

Nothing unusual, except for the fact that Jill and I were running with Gib and Jen. Fun to have made this a family event.
Event warmup:

jogged around a bit looking for the clothes drop.
Run
  • 1h 51m 43s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Great start down Seattle's 5th Ave, then into the "cattle chute" where we all packed onto the express lanes for the trip through the tunnel. It spread out inside, but the Garmin lost reception. It also stopped counting time, so there was some confusion at the end. We exited down a sharp turn and hill to the flat bottom of Lake Wash. Blvd. Great run north until the hills started, but they really weren't all bad. Began climbing away from the lake, then more flats, then a really sharp, steep hill (Galen) which gave way to Madison, a more gradual climb where we recovered our HRs. Down Madison to the Arboretum, then back up to the wonderfully wooded section which felt park-like. Exiting that, another left up and over I-5 to a relatively flat stretch back into downtown. A few more city streets with ups and downs over the last 2 miles, a surprising final gut-check incline and then into Memorial Stadium for a sprint across the soccer field to the end. Great fun to have run with Gib and way cool to finish stride for stride.
What would you do differently?:

Make sure to cross the split mat so I can see if I had a negative split.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a space blanket and water. Warmed up inside for a minute, then went out to cheer Jill's finish. Then back to the line to try and find her. Finally hooked up back inside and had some yummy warm chicken broth and rice, chocolate milk, bananas, etc.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

mental. Might have gone a bit faster, but this was a great pace.

Event comments:

Great Race. It'll go on my list for whenever we're in Seattle for Thanksgiving. Weather couldn't have been better.

Last updated: 2007-10-10 12:00 AM
Running
01:51:43 | 13.1 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 161/611
Overall: 1064/8000?
Performance: Good
Course: City streets, rolling hills to start, then flats before a couple sharp climbs led to gradual climbs, back down, then up along very scenic old city streets before finishing along I-5 and back into Seattle Center.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-11-27 9:02 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: Seattle Marathon - Half Marathon

2007-11-27 9:17 AM
in reply to: #1069887

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: RE: Seattle Marathon - Half Marathon
That is a very impressive time! You and Gib were speedy, not quite as speedy as you thought with your original claim of 1:45, but still VERY fast! I'm proud of you.
2007-11-27 10:31 AM
in reply to: #1069887

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: RE: Seattle Marathon - Half Marathon

Awesome, db!  You amaze me with your pace and lack of consistent training!!!!  Just think of how well lyou would do if you actually trained!  I'm sure you had a few beers the day before too.    Great job! Okay, I'm impressed...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Seattle Marathon - Half Marathon Rss Feed