General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Joining from the Chi Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-04 7:06 PM

New user

Subject: Joining from the Chi
Hi Everyone,
I just stumbled across this forum yesterday. Its has tons of useful information.
I'm 29 years - live in the northwest Chicago surburbs. About one and half years ago, I got tired of being 5' 10'' 240 lbs and decided to do something about it. Started biking to work. And 4 months later did my first tri (a sprint). I then followed that up with two other tris last year, a sprint and a half ironman.
I'm still 5' 10'' (and still waiting for that 2 inch growth spurt to join the 6 footer club) .... but now down to a more healthy 190lbs.

This year, my goal is to do an iron distance tri. I have my eyes set on the Great Floridian in October.
Hopefully, with enough training I should be able to complete it. Any advice, tips or tricks for training for this event are more than welcome.

Thanks and I look forward to enjoying and hopeful even contributing to this forum.

2004-02-04 7:42 PM
in reply to: #6021

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Joining from the Chi

great progression!  sounds like u wont have any problems with the great floridian.  welcome.

2004-02-04 7:56 PM

User image

Expert
New Port Richey
Welcome to the site. Great job on the weight loss. Good luck on completing your goal of the Great Floridian. I believe a couple of people on this site did it last year and might be able to give you some advice.
2004-02-04 7:57 PM
in reply to: #6025

, Alabama

Moclutch:  Did the GFT in 2002, and have done several olys in Clermont as well.  In October, it's hit or miss as far as temperature.  Probably expect hot for you, coming from Chicago.  Dont know if there are hills in Chicago, but Clermont is the only area in Florida that has them.  Mostly rollers, but a few big ones, particularly Sugarloaf  (even people from hill country have saidthat one's tough).  It's a great race as far as nice, friendly atmosphere, plenty of volunteers to help out, etc.  They are a little light in sag support on teh bike, (lots of miles to supervise) so make sure you have a few spare tubes and CO2 cartridges or a pump.  Water stops on the run are great.  They have contests for groups that sponsor the water stops.  The Mad Dogs (club from St. Pete) usually win.  I believe they were all dressed as pirates in 2003 (they also have beer at that stop!).  I don't know what all info you need, but it's a start.

Sharon

2004-02-04 8:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Welcome Moclutch!

I live NW of Chi.... I just read that there are big hills in the tri... my suggestion [if you find the time and a good buddy] is to train around the Galena area. If you've done this tri already then, you know what i'm talking about. If not, then try riding from Apple Canyon Lake to the town of Galena and back. A few draw backs is the time it takes to drive there and back... maybe there's a closer hillier training ground- have yet to discover it. Lots of luck to you!
2004-02-04 9:49 PM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho
Nice Job.
JR

2004-02-04 11:15 PM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
How did you progress from just swimming laps to putting it altogether for a mile long swim?
2004-02-05 1:23 AM

User image

Central Louisiana
Welcome to the board!  Let us know what we can do to help you out!
2004-02-05 8:29 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Welcome aboard. Congratulations on your breakthoughs so far and good luck in your Ironman. I can't offer you any tips, my being a newbie myself, but I would suggest that you familiarize yourself with the terrain where the tri will be held. If you can go to the site of the routes and do each leg so that you will not have any "surprises" come tri day.
2004-02-06 8:18 PM
in reply to: #6031

New user

Thanks for the advice gr8brindle. I've been to Galena for skiing - those definately are big hills. I'll be sure to try those.

gr8brindle - 2004-02-04 7:17 PM

Welcome Moclutch!

I live NW of Chi.... I just read that there are big hills in the tri... my suggestion [if you find the time and a good buddy] is to train around the Galena area. If you've done this tri already then, you know what i'm talking about. If not, then try riding from Apple Canyon Lake to the town of Galena and back. A few draw backs is the time it takes to drive there and back... maybe there's a closer hillier training ground- have yet to discover it. Lots of luck to you!
2004-02-06 8:26 PM
in reply to: #6059

New user

Actually, I just went gradually increasing the distances I would do over a period of 3 months or so. Initially, my longest swim of the week would be about 20 laps - and just kept on increasing my long swim of the week by about 6 laps every week. What I noticed though is that as my fitness levels increased (also due to the biking and running - and some weight training), the easier it became to swim longer distances.

umbach - 2004-02-04 10:15 PM

How did you progress from just swimming laps to putting it altogether for a mile long swim?

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Joining from the Chi Rss Feed