General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming lessons Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-12 11:16 PM

Subject: Swimming lessons
I am not a fast swimmer (2:00/100yd) but comfortable in water and have no problem swimming a mile in a pool. I decided to take a swim lesson to improve my technique. Today was my first lesson and I learned I had no technique what so ever... She said, only 1/3 of my energy input is used for moving foward. My position is totally wrong (therefore, every thing else I do in water is not correct) and I had a difficult time to do what the instructor was telling me to do in the water.

Questtions is;
How many 30minutes lesson do you suggest I take to get a good re-starting point of swimming? It is not cheap ($32).... (This is a private lesson, I coudln't find any group lessons.) My goal? I would like to be a mid-packer in swimming leg. And what is the next best thing after taking lessons to improve your swimming? Any video suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

2004-11-12 11:33 PM
in reply to: #82368

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Swimming lessons

How about Total Immersion?  It's a book with drills specifically for technique - also has a DVD to show you exactly how to do them if needed. 

Is there a Master's group near you with a coach that would give advice?

Other than that, I think maybe 5 or so lessons(?).  Maybe even just 3-4.  I base this on my own lessons which was a series of 5 and I got a lot out of it - my technique changed in that time.

2004-11-13 7:59 AM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I would take 3-4 lessons. I would build from there. Find out what needs work and practice correcting it. Then maybe every other month or every three months I would have my stroke evaluated until your comfortable with it. http://www.swim.ee/videos/index_example.html This is a link to some examples of swim techniques. It might help.

Mike
2004-11-13 11:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
I am taking a group lesson (3 students) at the YMCA. It runs 7 weeks - one class per week. I think that should be enough to get me going and then I can work on the technique over the winter. For private lessons, I would try at least 4. Probably more important is how many times to do you swim in between the lessons. Taking 4 lessons in 4 days might be less helpful than taking 4 lessons spaced out so that you have a few times to practice/integrate between sessions.

2004-11-14 1:21 AM

User image

Elite
Chicago
3-4 lessons sounds right, but ensure you're really getting the most out of them.

By this I mean. Take a lesson, then swim the next day by yourself practicing what was taught, and BE SURE not to take more than 2 days off from the pool particularly when you're teaching your body new "moves"

Then after about 2 weeks of swimming 3-4 times a week (between 30min to 1 hour each) take another lesson and see if you've improved from the last lesson.

Repeat.

I did this with golf lessons (without the swimming part....lol) and it really helped because when I saw my teacher again he would say...oh, you're doing this right but your still doing this wrong, etc. I noticed that each time I went to a lesson I remebered/did some things correctly during my own practice times while other things I was still doing wrong...that's why it helps to space them out, get practice inbetween lessons, and take 3 or 4 of them.

Just my $0.02
2004-11-14 3:57 PM

Thanks everybody. Due to my hip problem coming back, I decided not to run for a week, so I will have more time in pool and try at least twice before the next Friday lesson. I will also looking intto group lesson after 3 private lessons at YMCA even though it requires more drive.

Good news is, I have a huge room for improvement

2004-11-14 5:01 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I second all the advice here, and also suggest getting a total immersion video/DVD.
2004-11-14 5:16 PM

User image

Elite

Actually, I think 2 min/100 yd is a pretty good pace, particulary if you maintain that pace for a mile.  Perhaps you should be givng lessons.  What sort of things does your coach want to you to change?

TW

2004-11-14 5:32 PM
in reply to: #82688

Sorry - big typo on my pace. I meant to say 2:20/100yd. Big difference....

I make many beginner mistakes;
- Head is not down; chin should be tucked in
- my back is arched; my butt should be tucked in
- my arms are crossing the center line as they enter the water; they should be shoulder-width apart
- Elbow up
- exhale completely in water

She didn't go into the stroke itself too much because my position needs to be corrected before working on stroke.
Look forward to trying out what I have learned tomorrow.

2004-11-14 5:49 PM

User image

Elite

Your coach is right about keeping your head down and back straight.  Most of her changes are aimed at getting you to swim through a smaller hole in the water.  That is, you should swim so that your body is right in line with the direction you are swimming to reduce drag.  With a four or five lessons, your coach should be able to teach what you need to know.  You will still have to put in some hours in the pool  to master it, but you should be able to pick up some easy seconds on your pace.  When you are practicing on improving your form, it is a good idea to rest when you begin to tire.  You don't want to slip back into your old poor form.  So swim a comfortable interval, say 100 or 200 yds, rest for 30 seconds and then go again.  She will give you some drills to work on that will help you to work on one thing at a time rather than mastering the whole stroke at once.  This is will help a lot.

Good luck.  I predict some reports of major breakthrough in the pool soon.

TW 

Edited by tech_geezer 2004-11-14 5:49 PM
2004-11-14 6:11 PM

Master
Boston
Hm, after reading this thread, I am wondering if I might benefit from taking some swimming lessons as well. I kind of learned just on my own in the pool, and I make a lot of mistakes- especially after reading Yoshiko's mistakes on here...How much could I expect to pay for swim lessons, and does anyone know of any swim teachers in south florida? thanks!

2004-11-14 6:38 PM

User image

Veteran
MA
I don't think that $32 is unreasonable for a private lesson.
It sounds like you are getting very good advice. You are lucky to have found a good swim coach!
Deb
2004-11-14 7:54 PM
in reply to: #82691

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Yoshiko - 2004-11-14 5:32 PM

Sorry - big typo on my pace. I meant to say 2:20/100yd. Big difference....

I make many beginner mistakes;
- Head is not down; chin should be tucked in
- my back is arched; my butt should be tucked in
- my arms are crossing the center line as they enter the water; they should be shoulder-width apart
- Elbow up
- exhale completely in water

She didn't go into the stroke itself too much because my position needs to be corrected before working on stroke.
Look forward to trying out what I have learned tomorrow.

I would buy the TI DVD and look over the beginning drills. Many of the points you mention here are not addressed in the TI drills becuase they seem to happen naturally when teh balance is corrected. Note that TI works on balance and not "position". THings like "tucking your butt in" occur in TI when you practice the balance drills, but it follows naturally when you "hide your head". Tuckign the butt is not the action that corrects the balance, the balance causes the butt to pop up to teh surface of teh water. Same goes for teh "back arched" issues. Instead, think if pushing your chest wall down into teh water when you swim, this will force the lower half of yoru body to come up to teh surface.

"Arms entering the water shoulder width apart". The only way this can happen literally is if your body is flat in the water when your arms enter. A flat body makes teh "barge shape" that is slow in the water. Rolling your torso and extending your underwater arm in front of you causes your body to lie on its side a bit, more like the "America's Cup" boats, much sleeker and therefore faster. Again, the TI drills help you learn this feeling.

"Exhaling" many of the TI drills actually begin on your back to practice balance so that breathing is not an issue. When you feel comfortable with the balance in the water, you are more relaxed and your breathing becomes more relaxed as well.

"Elbow up" happens naturally in TI when you rotate your whole torso.

In TI, "stroke form" follows from good balance, there is no need to separate "position" and "stroke"

While I commend you for getting lessons and improving your technique, I would take everything your instructor says with a grain of salt and do some outside homework as well by watching teh TI video. Considering your total investment in swim lessions at $32 dollars apiece, buying the TI video is well worth the expense.

Just my 2 cents. I have no affiliation whatsoever with TI, but after being a swimmer for over 30 years, and using TI for only about 3 months, I am a true convert to his teaching methods which have become well accepted in competetive swimming (but not necesarily red cross or YMCA lessons)

suzanne
2004-11-14 8:16 PM
in reply to: #82728

User image

Veteran
Richmond, VA
I find that I have to agree with Suzanne/AdventureBear.
I spent $8 on a used copy of Total Immersion and started practicing what I read.  My pace went from 37-40 min/mile to 32-34.  More importantly, my stroke count went from 24 to 18 (50 yards). 

I highly recommend the TI technique as it emphasizes efficient use of power in the water, which is key in triathlon because you've got more than half the race ahead of you when you exit the pool.

Now then, if that swim coach is TI certified...  what was her number again?

2004-11-14 8:32 PM

Boy.... this forum is awesome. I am getting great advice/information!! Love it. BTW, You guys don't sound like 'beginner triathlete'.....

I checked TI DVD on Netflix (DVD rental via mail) but they don't have it So I just trust your words and buy it... Seriously, by reading your posts, I feel like I have mastered new skills and got faster...... wishful thinking...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming lessons Rss Feed