General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New and in Tucson Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-14 1:31 AM

Subject: New and in Tucson
Hello all!

I am 100% novice when it comes to triathlons! I use to run on a daily basis, but that is about it. I enjoy working out, but need a lot of variety to keep my interest. I have made the decision that I want to accomplish at least one triathlon and one marathon in my life time. So, no point in procrastinating! I currently live in Tucson, and I grew up in MInnesota. RIght now my goals are to accomplish a half marathon in January, and my first triathlon in March. I really need to get my butt in gear if this is going to happen. I need to face the fears of riding in the streets, which just may be happening tomorrow! Bluntly I just need to get out and get started! Any words of advice for a novice like me are welcome! Thanks!!

2004-11-14 7:38 AM
in reply to: #82572

User image

Veteran
Sydney
Subject: RE: New and in Tucson
From one novice to another ... set a training program (plenty on offer on this site), I find it much easier to maintain motivation if I have a plan laid out to follow. Pick a race and structure a training program for that. If you are looking at a race in march then any of the 16 week beginner programs (they are harder than they appear believe me!) would be good for you depending on your weekest discipline.

Welcome anyhow .. you'll find this site invaluable, oh and use the training logs as well!! Big help in maintaining that feeling of "getting somewhere".
2004-11-15 1:34 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Welcome!  Awesome goals.  Keep visiting this site and use the logs - always inspiring!

2004-11-17 5:14 PM

Regular
Show Low, Arizona
You've found a great place to hang out and find useful training info.

Getting over the "fear" of riding the streets will come. Tucson is pretty rider friendly. I use to live there for several years and still have family there and visit often when it's snowing here. I really like riding out on Catalina Hwy, great shoulder to ride on and not much traffic.

Are you doing the 1/2 Rock and Roll Marathon????? Which tri in march???

Mary
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I may never finish 1st or make it to Kona, but I’m proud of the fact that I had the courage to begin my journey.
2004-11-17 6:46 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Welcome!

Are you doing the Tucson Tri in March? Any of the tritucson.com races are great for a newbie. I did the Tinfoilman back in October as my first, and had a blast!

Also, I'm assuming you're a gal with a name like Jana (hope I'm right ) Check out Tucson Tri Girls. This is a great club, and they often have group workouts, mentors available, and an e-mail group that helps to answer questions. A great group of gals.

Good luck with the training!
2004-11-18 1:04 AM
in reply to: #83876

Hi thanks! Yeah I am hoping ot do the 1/2 rock and roll marathon and then the Tucson Tri in march!
where are you that there is snow? Are you doing either of those two races? I haven't ventured to this streets yet for biking but it is on my training plan for Friday! We'll see how it goes

2004-11-18 1:08 AM
in reply to: #83910

Hi there,
Yep I am doing the Tucson Tri in march. I have actually joined Tucson Tri girls! But thanks for informing me about them, I really do enjoy the group and hope to get more involved. THanks a lot of the welcome!
Cheers.
2004-11-18 10:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ
Welcome littlefoot!!!

I'm not sure how many Tri's there are in Tucson but I would imagine that your going to find your way up to Phoenix at least for one race...hopefully!!

Congrats on becoming a member to one of the best websites for beginners for Tri'ing. Everyone here is very supportive and always willing to give good sound advice. Make sure to take advantage of logging that way we can inspire you when you stumble or just say hi and give you a good supportive moment.

Good luck in your training for your first Tri, any idea what kind of distance your going to start off with?
2004-11-18 10:32 AM
in reply to: #83973

Regular
Show Low, Arizona
Subject: I live in Show Low, AZ.......
also known as the White Mountains.

I'm not planning on either of those races, shooting for the 1/2 mary at the Valley of the Sun (Phx) in March.

Be safe!!!

Mary
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I may never finish 1st or make it to Kona, but I’m proud of the fact that I had the courage to begin my journey.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New and in Tucson Rss Feed