BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jonathan22's group - CLOSED like your parents door during happy time. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2007-12-25 9:18 AM
in reply to: #1088605

User image

Kansas City
Subject: RE: Jonathan22's group - CLOSED like your parents door during happy time.
Merry Christmas everyone!

2007-12-26 8:09 AM

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Jonathan22's group - CLOSED like your parents door during happy time.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. 

What did everyone get? 

I got a Zoot tri bag. 

2007-12-26 9:19 AM
in reply to: #1116765

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
Cool bag.

I got some Tri cloths and a new Ironman watch but the main thing I got was permission...

no..not that kind of "go ahead"

I got permission from the "keeper of the FUNDS" to go a get a few things that were on my list that she has no clue about...HR monitor, bike computer and some misc. gear.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas.

Steve
2007-12-28 10:06 PM

User image

Master

How is everyone's week going? 

Big plans for New Years Eve?

2007-12-29 10:08 AM
in reply to: #1121536

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
jonathan22 - 2007-12-28 11:06 PM

How is everyone's week going? 

From a personal stand point...not too bad.
From a training stand point...NOOOOOOT so much. Got plenty of excuses but that is just what they are...EXCUSES. Monday will be a better day and hopefully I will be able to get back in the groove.

Big plans for New Years Eve?

With 2 grand children at the house for the "festivities" it will be all we can do to stay up until the Peach drops. I spent about 20 of my 30 years in the Fire/Rescue business working on New Years eve...So after seeing the dark side of that holiday I tend to stick close to home that night and watch football...although I do have some GREAT stories...

After all...stupid people + alcohol = funny stories to amuse your friends.

Steve
2007-12-29 11:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Orygun

Gotta agree w/ Steve about the "dark side" of New Year's.

I'm pulling graveyard @ the hospital, and expecting lots of alcohol poisoning and interesting traumas...Yippee. Getting my writing hand limbered up for all the physical and chemical restraints I'll be writing for...:0

Love the tri bag, J. Got one like it; way easier to cart crap w/.

Hope Santa was good to everyone. I got just what I wanted (since I shopped for it and told the hubby "hi, honey. This is what you got me for Xmas.".

I'm back on tonight, for my first of a string of 5 nights. Hope my antipsychotics hang in there.

Lift a couple for me, guys. (Though I'll be intoxicated enough from the breath of my patients...)

Edited by jchughes66 2007-12-29 11:30 PM

2007-12-31 8:53 AM
in reply to: #1122519

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
jchughes66 - 2007-12-30 12:28 AM

p>I'm pulling graveyard @ the hospital, and expecting lots of alcohol poisoning and interesting traumas...Yippee. Getting my writing hand limbered up for all the physical and chemical restraints I'll be writing for...:0

At least you get to write something up and have some help...about all the help we had was a partner and a roll of tape...LOL Sadly though sometimes that was NOT enough.

p>I'm back on tonight, for my first of a string of 5 nights. Hope my antipsychotics hang in there.

Lift a couple for me, guys. (Though I'll be intoxicated enough from the breath of my patients...)

Well, I hope the night is safe for you and yours and that 2008 is a great year for you and the family.

Steve

also...Love the sig line (actually both of them are SOOOOO true
2007-12-31 7:31 PM

User image

Kansas City
Happy new years eve folks!! I won't be doing too much 'cause I have a 6 mile fun run tomorrow morning. I'm planning on kicking it at home with my room mate with 2 bottles of wine...hopefully I take it easy or the "fun run" will probably not be so fun!

I finally set up my training plan for the HIM. It starts at the end of January and frankly, it looks pretty intense. I'll try my best to stick with it though! Cheers everyone
2007-12-31 11:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Orygun

Ok, guys.  Would love your advice on this...

Yoga vs. weights??

I'm quickly discovering I need about 6 more hours in the day to get everything done.  Too many obligations (some fun, others just to pay for cool tri gear...).

I can do yoga OR weights; I don't have time for both (and even ONE of these is pushing it).  The yoga stuff I do is pretty intense on the lunges, push ups, flexibility (i.e. is hard), and weights bore me silly.  Can I get away w/ just doing hard yoga & skip the weights?

And by the way, all of you doing long killer workouts are an inspiration! 

Jules 

2007-12-31 11:30 PM
in reply to: #1125450

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Orygun

tameryka - 2007-12-31 7:31 PM Happy new years eve folks!! I won't be doing too much 'cause I have a 6 mile fun run tomorrow morning. I'm planning on kicking it at home with my room mate with 2 bottles of wine...

My favorite "gotta work out after drinking too much" recipe:

Ibuprofen and water tonight after the wine

Push the water in the a.m.  (the diuretic effect of alcohol increases the crappy feeling factor...)

Love the Armstrong quote...You might be needing that tomorrow!

Happy New Year! 

2008-01-01 12:06 AM
in reply to: #1125621

User image

Master
jchughes66 - 2007-12-31 11:25 PM

Ok, guys.  Would love your advice on this...

Yoga vs. weights??

I'm quickly discovering I need about 6 more hours in the day to get everything done.  Too many obligations (some fun, others just to pay for cool tri gear...).

I can do yoga OR weights; I don't have time for both (and even ONE of these is pushing it).  The yoga stuff I do is pretty intense on the lunges, push ups, flexibility (i.e. is hard), and weights bore me silly.  Can I get away w/ just doing hard yoga & skip the weights?

And by the way, all of you doing long killer workouts are an inspiration! 

Jules 

The short answer is Yoga > strength training if you have to choose.

The long answer - In order of importance to a triathlete:

1. Have Fun while training - If you not having fun, you need to address this.  I recently read that most people drop out of triathlons after 2.5 years.  I asked my coach about this and he said it's because most get injured trying to do too much too fast. Back off, have fun.  You have longer than you think to get fast.
  2. Consistently getting in your workouts every week - it is better to get in 3x1 hour cycling per week than 1 monster workout that leaves you sore and not on your bike per week.  If you are doing 2x3 per week or 3x3 per week - whatever is the case - make sure you are consistent.
  3. Work on your limiters during the winter - If swimming is your weakest event, increase frequency (or bike or run).  You might go 4x per week in your weekest event and 2x per week in your other events for 2 months in the winter.
  4. Run less than you think you should; and bike more than you think you should -  The bike represents 50% of a triathlon.  Running is a high impact sport and you run a higher risk of injury.  Bike fitness carries over to the run (the opposite is not true).  http://www.cruciblefitness.com/etips/LongBike.htm
  5. Flexibility - Swimming, running and biking all tend to tighten you up.  Yoga will help here.
  6. Core strength - Core strength is at the heart of all 3 sports.  Pilates will help here.  Here is the core workout I do: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=486
  7. Non-specific strength - non-specific strength (such as the bench press) will help you overall (even out muscle imblances, etc.) but it won't contribute to your fitness in the way that more of the above will.  If you must lift, go lighter than you think you should (high rep/low weight).

2008-01-01 8:32 AM
in reply to: #1125621

User image

Kansas City
jchughes66 - 2007-12-31 11:25 PM

I can do yoga OR weights; I don't have time for both (and even ONE of these is pushing it). 

I agree with Jonathan that you should do yoga, ecspecially if you like it more. Do what you like doing, workouts should be fun! I just wanted to weigh in a little on the weight lifting....

I used to do it very minimally and with not much intensity until I discovered that I had to do 40 push-ups to get into the FBI. I hired a personal trainer and have been working with him since mid October. I reached my goal but decided to retain him because the results have been amazing. First, I lost 20 lbs of fat and now I look very toned. Second, I feel soooo much stronger in all 3 of the sports. During training season I only plan on lifting weights for about 2 hours a week.

Again, I don't really have tri experience like Jonathan- but it's just helped me personally in a number of ways.
2008-01-01 9:16 AM
in reply to: #1125758

User image

Master

tameryka - 2008-01-01 8:32 AM

I used to do it very minimally and with not much intensity until I discovered that I had to do 40 push-ups to get into the FBI.

FBI?  Is this still a goal? What's the timeframe on that?

That is AWESOME.  Please tell more.

2008-01-01 1:24 PM
in reply to: #1125800

User image

Kansas City
jonathan22 - 2008-01-01 9:16 AM

tameryka - 2008-01-01 8:32 AM

I used to do it very minimally and with not much intensity until I discovered that I had to do 40 push-ups to get into the FBI.

FBI?  Is this still a goal? What's the timeframe on that?

That is AWESOME.  Please tell more.

Yeah, I passed phase I testing and have now reached the physical fitness goals for the FBI. I'm just waiting on phase II testing. It takes a REALLY long time to get hired- about a year actually. Hopefully I make it, it's not a for-sure thing yet but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Edited by tameryka 2008-01-01 1:41 PM
2008-01-01 11:03 PM
in reply to: #1126203

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Orygun

Cool! Is that the goal of your forensic psychology studies?

Don't know if you've ever read any Patricia Cornwell novels, but that forensic psych stuff sounds like you'll get to know some creepy people!  (And I thought MY patients we strange...)

2008-01-02 6:37 AM
in reply to: #1127151

User image

Kansas City
jchughes66 - 2008-01-01 11:03 PM

Cool! Is that the goal of your forensic psychology studies?

Don't know if you've ever read any Patricia Cornwell novels, but that forensic psych stuff sounds like you'll get to know some creepy people!  (And I thought MY patients we strange...)

Well the FBI was not originally in my plans. My specialty is in assessment and malingering- I work with a lot of criminals and I work with civilians who try to fake traumatic brain injury for insurance money. I also work with people who try to fake things like schizophrenia for insurance- this is the part that is most fun. With the criminals I do competency to stand trial and criminal responsability evaluations. Right now I'm interning at an inner city acute psychiatric hospital that has a forensic unit. It's never a boring time!

The plan has always been to go into private practice and do some consulting after graduation. The FBI just beconed to me though and I really think it suits my personality. If I make it I will be a field agent for at least 5 years and then I will go on to do violent crime analysis.

Nothing is for certain though. Either way- I'm sure I will find something out there to do that I enjoy

Edited by tameryka 2008-01-02 6:41 AM

2008-01-02 8:34 AM
in reply to: #1127329

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
That sounds really cool. It is great when you get into something that is interesting and never boring. It makes going to work that much easier.

Good luck with the rest of the process.

Steve
2008-01-02 9:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Orygun

Wow!  Makes my job seem boring! 

Good luck!

2008-01-02 1:20 PM

User image

Master

You guys probably know this, but a great way to stay motiviated through the winter is to sign up for and compete in one of the many monthly challenges: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=27#s

Since it's the beginning of the month and year, it should be easy to find one.  I did a few last year for biking and swimming and it held me accountable.

The other way of course is to put some money on the line.....

In other news, I'm getting really excited about what my wife is doing.  She is wanting to sign up for 5 races this season.  Last year she did her first sprint tri, a marathon and a few 10ks. 

She has a road bike that we bought last year but to "encourage" her, we found a really good deal on a tri bike. 

2008-01-02 1:56 PM
in reply to: #1128504

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
I have done "challenges" for the last 2 months and am in one for Jan. as well. I agree that it does help with the motivation and with the accountability. You also get to interact with new folks on the site and meet some really cool folks....like me

Congrats Jonathan on Ninja's progress. That makes life so much easier when you both have common goals...especially when you want ot buy something new and pricey.

Steve
2008-01-02 10:05 PM

User image

Master

So speaking of bikes,

What is everyone riding these days?  And how did you choose your 2 wheeled stead? 

My mountain bike that collects dust is a 06 GT Avalance 2.0.  My road bike is a 06 Raliegh Supercourse.  Both were purchased on a whim at a local bike shop (never, and I mean never, walk into a bike shop "just to look".

My tri bike is a 05 Quintana Roo Caliente.  Again, purchased on a whim.  Actually, I was going to purchase a new 06 QR Seduza but there was a mix up on sizing.  So they offered me a slightly used Caliente for the same price. 

It's sad that my road+tri bikes are worth more than my truck.

2008-01-03 6:48 AM

User image

Kansas City
I just purchased the Trek Equinox 7 WSD on December the 18th because I fell in love with it and got a good deal on it. The good deal was nice but really it was an emotional thing <3

The guy that gave me the deal apparently had a nervous breakdown and does not work at the store anymore. Poor dude. Unfortunately, due to this fact and the owner being out of town for the holidays, they did not get my order in time and I STILL don't have the bike. I called them yesturday and told that that *I* was going to have a nervous breakdown. Fortunately I will have the bike tomorrow- custom fitted and with a free bell, maybe even some shiney spokes I feel like a little kid about it but I can't wait!
2008-01-03 6:52 AM

User image

Kansas City
btw J, I saw you got a new bike for ninja! That's awesome that you guys are doing tri's togather....but I have to wonder, the time of the bike purchase and you winning the idiot award seem strangely close togather
2008-01-03 6:56 AM
in reply to: #1130164

User image

Master

tameryka - 2008-01-03 6:52 AM btw J, I saw you got a new bike for ninja! That's awesome that you guys are doing tri's togather....but I have to wonder, the time of the bike purchase and you winning the idiot award seem strangely close togather

I was told at the party that us showing up the day before was a story they (the hosts) will be telling when they are 80.  They are in their 30s now. 

2008-01-03 7:44 AM
in reply to: #1130169

User image

Apparently, the bedroom door was still a crack open because Jonathan was kind enough to let me squeeze in.  I think he did it for sheer entertainment's sake.  While I have the word "Graceful" as my screen name, it hardly applies.  Sick around for awhile and you will see why! Let's see.  I live in Alpharetta, GA.  I just moved here in June after being a West Coast girl all my life.  The last 10 years were spent just outside Portland, OR.  I did 2 mini Tris there in the frigid water.  The first one was like so many others, I barely made the swim. The second one went much better but the swim totally terrified me. I also injured my knee running fast down a huge hill at the end of the race. Yes, I  would still sadly call that my best race. This year I arrived just in time to do the last sprint of the year at Emerald Pointe.  I only had about 4 weeks to train. I did ok for the time I had and all the things I had going on at the time (like moving across country). Even though I have done three tris I feel like I am starting from scratch.  I got a fancy heart rate monitor for Christmas.  It is my goal to learn how to actually train and plan for events.  I have the time to train for the first time in my life. I have two boys 6 and 8 who are in school full time this year. My oldest has some special needs which is one of the main reasons I started doing tris in the first place.  I needed a place to burn off stress and just focus on myself.  It has already been life changing. Ok- I tend to blatter on.  I also am a horrible speller and hate proof reading. Read at your own risk.  It must be all those years of teaching!  
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jonathan22's group - CLOSED like your parents door during happy time. Rss Feed  

of 7