BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jonathan22's group - CLOSED like your parents door during happy time. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2008-01-15 12:17 AM
in reply to: #1088605

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Orygun
Subject: RE: Jonathan22's group - CLOSED like your parents door during happy time.

J----I am  A-M-A-Z-E-D that you did the race, and finished (!),  given those circumstances! Dude, you're SICK! I can't help the mental illness issues (HA) but here's the info on the physical stuff...

Regarding the medications:

1.  Antihistamines don't technically dehydrate you, but since they dry your mucous membranes (eyes, nose, mouth), you'll feel dry.  They also turn secretions into concrete; not so good for actually getting rid of the crap! (As you noted, they can also elevate your heart rate....)

2.  Sudafed WILL make your heart rate go up; to different degrees depending on the person.  Your body had probably been tachycardic during the days you were taking it, expending more energy than normal.  Did you take some the morning of the race?  That would also make your heart rate unusually high during the race, though I suspect the main reason was that you're ILL and your body's using all it's reserves.

3. Zicam and Airborne should be RELATIVELY harmless; I take them when I'm sick, too.

All that being said, in an ideal world you wouldn't have had a race when you're sick. (I know how hard it is to sit something out, though, d/t illness).  The drugs you took made you FEEL better, but that didn't mean you were over it!  Fighting an infection takes a huge toll, more than we give credit to. Trying to run a marathon even w/ a simple cold is a Herculean feat.

I personally don't have any "sick time" w/ my job, so I end up putting myself to bed at the first sign of a bug.  Usually resting heavily for 24 hrs will abort it, in conjunction w/ sudafed, dayquil, airborne, zinc, vit c.  Skip the benadryl w/ the nyquil, though.  It'll dry you out TOO much, and potentially prolong getting rid of the crud. Walking is great, but heavier workouts seem to stress my system too much.  (Ok, enough of the medical consult...)

I'm impressed w/ your performance.  Don't let the usual negative thoughts win---you WERE trained well enough, had it in you to go the distance, etc.---just look @ your training.  This race's results had everything to do w/ your body being sick; your training just meant you could hang in there longer.  Congratulations (for flogging yourself), NOW REST! Next time you won't be sick, and you'll KICK IT'S @SS!

Julie 

2008-01-15 5:47 AM
in reply to: #1156525

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Jonathan22's group - CLOSED like your parents door during happy time.
jchughes66 - 2008-01-15 12:17 AM

2. Sudafed WILL make your heart rate go up; to different degrees depending on the person. Your body had probably been tachycardic during the days you were taking it, expending more energy than normal. Did you take some the morning of the race?

Thanks Julie.  I stopped taking stuff at 4pm the day before thinking that it would flush out in the 12 hours prior to the race.  Silly me.  

What you wrote was very helpful.  Thanks for taking the time.   

2008-01-15 7:08 AM

User image

Kansas City
Sometimes when I feel myself coming down with a cold I go into denial and convince myself that its really minor or even non existant- I then proceed to pack on the vitamines and workout anyway and it turns into the WORST thing ever the next day. Has happened to me on a couple of occassions. just sayin.
2008-01-15 9:56 AM
in reply to: #1156665

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
Great information Julie. Thanks

Tameryka..I also get a lot of info and inspiration from reading race reports. To see the effort and dedication that people have is very inspiring. Not to mention the technical info that can be gained from a good report....and then there are some of the funny stories that also have lessons to be learned.

Great job on your race J22..We are all proud of our "leader".

Cudos to Ninja as well...as we all know who leads the "leader".
2008-01-17 12:39 PM

User image

Master

How is everyone doing this fine Thursday?

We got snow here in GA.  Which means the world is shut down. 

2008-01-17 3:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Orygun

SNOW???? In Georgia????  I'm guessing  everything's shut down like it does when it snows here...(i.e. in the valley; those in the mountains are used to it, but during the one week a year we get snow in the valley, the world STOPS).  Probably a good thing, for all the yahoos who don't remember how to drive in snow!!!

Hope it's at least not storming...

We're freezing here, but at least it's a pretty day.  Just got off the horse, and have a long run planned for later today... 

2008-01-18 7:38 AM

User image

Kansas City
God- I wish things were shut down in kansas city too. It's been snowing and freezing all week. I believe that it's not going to get above freezing again for quite a while. I wish I could just hibernate throught it like a bear.

My friends are coming in from California this weekend so I don't know how my training i'll be doing. I'll cross my fingers and hope to find a little time to break loose.

Erika
2008-01-19 9:08 AM

User image

Kansas City
Do you guys ever get into mental slumps with your workingout/training?

It has been so cold and gloomy in kansas city - it has not gotten above freezing for a week. I feel like I just want to hibernate. My new forensic rotation also has been exhausting. It used to be that I would look forward to working out all day but now I have to drag myself to the gym.

This ever happen to anyone else? How long did it last and how do you get pumped again?
2008-01-19 10:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Orygun

The one thing I found is not to discount how things that sap your mental energy can sap your enthusiasm for working out, no matter how much you usually enjoy it.  Been going through a bunch of stressful crap lately, and just was NOT into working out or other things I usually enjoy.  The key was realizing how much the stress impacted me, and to cut myself some slack.  (At that point, even workouts felt like a "had to" instead of a "want to", and I rebelled...) Once I did that it became easier to get my motivation back.

Another question, but this time regarding physical limitations...I'm 41, working nights 3-4 nights every week (and having to flip-flop back to days to take care of kids...) Despite working out, I'm frustrated w/ fatigue limiting how much physical activity I can do.

I love horseback riding (but it's a workout), but yesterday after a riding workout and running 8 miles at a low pace the day before, as well as a 17.5 mi recovery bike yesterday am, I didn't even have the leg strength to ride a horse again last night.  I've found I have a finite supply of hours I can put in before my body says "ok, you're done for awhile", even if the intensity wasn't that bad.

Suggestions???

Thanks,

Jules 

2008-01-19 8:25 PM

User image

Master

Regarding motivation: It's winter.  It's normal to feel unmotivated. 

Probably due to lack of sunlight, I go through a funk every winter.  I know it passes and that at least for us Spring is right around the corner. 

One thing I do is to watch videos of Ironman and stuff to stay motivated.  Like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx8ae4TfwrE

Its normal to go through periods of not wanting to workout.  One thing I do is I make deals with myself.  "Ok, I'm only going to go run for 15 mins.  If I am not into the run after 15 mins, I'm done."   Usually, I make it longer and starting is the hardest part.

Erika,
What Julie said is right on.  DO NOT discount the effect additional workload (such as your new rotation) will have on your body.  Cut the intensity back, cut the volume back, get a little more sleep.  Do what you have to do to make it through without TOTALLY backing off the workouts.  The MOST important thing is to maintain consistency in your workouts.  Your workouts thus far have been great.  A small dip in volume/intensity for a few weeks will not kill you. 

I can see since Dec your volume has been increasing nicely.  The one thing that I see missing is recovery weeks.  Your body is probably telling you that you need one and will make you take one (by getting sick or getting into a funk) whether you like it or not.  Mot people do a 3 weeks build, 1 week recovery.  Some do better on 2/1 while others do ok on 4/1.

Julie,
I think you are already doing the right thing which is to track your workouts including horseback riding.  The only thing you might do is to analyze the weeks where you felt tired and look back at how many hours the prior week had to see if there is a threshold. 

2008-01-20 4:58 PM

User image

Kansas City
That's a damn good video. I took a couple of days pretty easy and now my spirits are back up and I'm ready to go. I feel like this next week is going to be a good one- I just finished my bike ride and I'm already looking forward to tomorrows swim and wieght lifting.

I start my official training plan at the end of this month- Woot! Hopefully I can hang. Somehow it seems easier to do if it's already written in the schedule.

2008-01-26 5:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Orygun

I agree...great video!

What kind of help/coaching is everyone doing this year?

I just signed up for swim lessons; good coach, but there's nothing like having your stroke picked apart...At least she didn't seem surprised I could make it to the other end of the pool!  I think this'll be more helpful than just joining masters (from the attention standpoint; once I get my technique better I might consider it...)

Woo hoo!  I ordered an iMagic trainer w/ real-life videos of courses in Colorado and Europe...Hope that'll be the cure to the winter riding blues!!! Can't wait until delivery on 1/31!

2008-01-28 7:34 AM
in reply to: #1177521

User image

Master

Coaching is awesome.

Before triathlon, I played golf and tried for years to get better on my own.  I practiced a ton and never really got better.  After a few years I invested in lessons and my scores started dropping over night.  That taught me the power of being coached.

I think it's great you have a swim coach.  Since swimming is so much about technique, you will get faster just by having a better stroke.  I also think you shouldn't wait to join Masters.  I'll get my friend Lisa to describe her experience with Masters.  You will be surprised that not everyone at Masters is a fish.  There are people of all abilities.  And some Masters coaches (like mine) will provide stroke work too.

I've taken swim lessons but now I get my Masters coach to advise me.  I do have a triathlon coach.  My experience has been very positive. 

I'm jeolous of the iMagic trainer. I almost bought a used Computrainer this year but I figured that the temps don't get so bad here that I could just buy some cold weather gear and go ride outside.  Please tell us how the iMagic works out.

2008-01-28 11:28 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga

pardon me for interrupting, but I have a bike question for Mr. j22.

Sir J. How do you like your T2 wing? Alloy right? Also, do you have T2+Cobras for aero bars? I am considering going to the Cobra wing (carbon version of T2 wing) but wonder if the alloy T2 would be fine. I am probably going to go with the carbon strykes skibend rather than the t2+ S bend, but have been considering the latter as well. Thoughts?

2008-01-28 11:46 AM
in reply to: #1179708

User image

Master
atl_runner - 2008-01-28 11:28 AM

pardon me for interrupting, but I have a bike question for Mr. j22.

Sir J. How do you like your T2 wing? Alloy right? Also, do you have T2+Cobras for aero bars? I am considering going to the Cobra wing (carbon version of T2 wing) but wonder if the alloy T2 would be fine. I am probably going to go with the carbon strykes skibend rather than the t2+ S bend, but have been considering the latter as well. Thoughts?

My T2 is fine; a little sore in the mornings.  Oh, the T2 on my bike.  Regarding base bars, It's ok.  I'm not in love with it.  Yes, I have the Alloy one.  My neighbor has the Cobra wing setup (both base and aerobars) and it's nicer. Ninja has the Vision Tech base bar and even in Alloy, I like that better than the Profile Design bars. I had my base bar drilled out so I could do internal cable routing and use smaller grips.  The Vision Tech comes out of the box with better cable routing.

Regarding, aero bars, my Caliente came with the S-bends as did Ninja's.  I've never used ski bend type bars.  After my wrist adjusted to shifting with the S-bends, I would not use anything else.  They just plan look kick-a$$. 

Regarding carbon vs alloy, I don't think carbon is worth the price in most cases.  Ninja's bike has shown me you can have an alloy frame and it will be just as lite as a carbon frame bike (mine).

In order of what I would buy:

I hope that helps.

2008-02-02 2:45 PM

User image

Kansas City
I have a question for the group about race nutrition pre-race. I'm doing a 10 mile "race" next saturday. What should I be eating before hand? I figure that I should probably be carb loading the night before. Any good information on this?
Erika

2008-02-03 10:41 AM
in reply to: #1191169

User image

Master

tameryka - 2008-02-02 2:45 PM I have a question for the group about race nutrition pre-race. I'm doing a 10 mile "race" next saturday. What should I be eating before hand? I figure that I should probably be carb loading the night before. Any good information on this? Erika

Great question.  For a 10 mile race, I would eat 2 packages of oatmeal 1 hr to 30 mins before I started.  Then I'd maybe take a gel or 2 just as I started and 1 gel during the run.  This is exactly what I do for a 1/2 marathon and it works for me.

Eating a pasta dinner the night before would not hurt you but getting a good nights rest is probably more important than carb loading.

One thing I learned during my marathon training is that for anything up to 4 hours (10ks, 1/2 marathons, marathons, olympic tris, etc.) I need less food than I think I do. 

2008-02-03 11:06 AM
in reply to: #1191960

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
jonathan22 - 2008-02-03 11:41 AM

One thing I learned during my marathon training is that for anything up to 4 hours (10ks, 1/2 marathons, marathons, olympic tris, etc.) I need less food than I think I do. 

I am just the opposite.  I have only done races up to a half-mary, but I need more calories and nutrition (especially the morning of the race) than I thought I would.

2008-02-03 12:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Orygun

Just goes to show what the "experts" keep saying...It's VERY individual-specific. You need to try different things before you find out what works for YOU.  (And always BEFORE race day, so you're not trying anything new then!).

J22--who's your coach?  I'm signed up for TrainingPeaks, but as I'm not really aspiring to greatness (beyond the best I can be; I have no illusions that I'm podium bound, even in my age group!), I haven't thought a personal coach was something I warrant. 

2008-02-03 12:44 PM
in reply to: #1192050

User image

Master
jchughes66 - 2008-02-03 12:34 PM

Just goes to show what the "experts" keep saying...It's VERY individual-specific. You need to try different things before you find out what works for YOU.  (And always BEFORE race day, so you're not trying anything new then!).

J22--who's your coach?  I'm signed up for TrainingPeaks, but as I'm not really aspiring to greatness (beyond the best I can be; I have no illusions that I'm podium bound, even in my age group!), I haven't thought a personal coach was something I warrant. 

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=15899

Brett Daniels (Rocket Man on BT).  Some people think having a coach is just for pros or elites.  EVERYONE can benefit from a coach and it usually age groupers like us that benefit the most.  I was very skeptical of posts here on BT about how much a coach would help you improve, but I've been very, very pleased so far with what Brett has laid out and what I've been able to do. 

2008-02-03 3:14 PM
in reply to: #1191960

User image

Kansas City
jonathan22 - 2008-02-03 10:41 AM

tameryka - 2008-02-02 2:45 PM I have a question for the group about race nutrition pre-race. I'm doing a 10 mile "race" next saturday. What should I be eating before hand? I figure that I should probably be carb loading the night before. Any good information on this? Erika

Great question.  For a 10 mile race, I would eat 2 packages of oatmeal 1 hr to 30 mins before I started.  Then I'd maybe take a gel or 2 just as I started and 1 gel during the run.  This is exactly what I do for a 1/2 marathon and it works for me.

Eating a pasta dinner the night before would not hurt you but getting a good nights rest is probably more important than carb loading.

Okay cool. I think that sounds managable. I read something on the forum about waking up in the middle of the night to drink carbs and I got worried. My only goal is to go for the whole 10 miles without dying. It would be also pretty nice if I didn't finish last but I'm not holding my breath on that one. I am still really sloooooooow.

So on a side note, I was thinking of getting this fine peice of exercise equipment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9_amg-Aos4

What do you guys think? Just think of all the hours I can log while I'm at work!! The exploitation of stupid people never ceases to entertain me.

2008-02-03 9:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Orygun

Erika....OMG!  I laughed my a$$ off! I can see trying to type while on that thing.  Remember those vibrating belts supposed to vibrate off cellulite??? (ok, maybe I'm dating myself, here).  What people will buy to get out of doing the work...

J22--if the TrainingPeaks thing doesn't work out well for me, I might consider it.  It just seems weird/pretentious.  It's not like I have huge expectations; the bottom line is just seeing how far I can push myself... 

2008-02-04 6:54 AM
in reply to: #1192554

User image

Kansas City
jchughes66 - 2008-02-03 9:07 PM

Erika....OMG!  I laughed my a$$ off! I can see trying to type while on that thing.  Remember those vibrating belts supposed to vibrate off cellulite??? (ok, maybe I'm dating myself, here).  What people will buy to get out of doing the work...

You mean those vibrating belts don't work? My mom has one of those, I'll have to let her know. ((my mom seriously DOES have one))
2008-02-04 10:36 PM
in reply to: #1192815

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Orygun

My mom did, too....That's how I know about them! LOL

2008-02-05 12:48 AM
in reply to: #1194559

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
jchughes66 - 2008-02-04 11:36 PM

My mom did, too....That's how I know about them! LOL

x3

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jonathan22's group - CLOSED like your parents door during happy time. Rss Feed  

of 7