BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jonathan22's group - CLOSED like your parents door during happy time. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2008-02-05 6:40 AM
in reply to: #1194657

User image

Kansas City
Subject: RE: Jonathan22's group - CLOSED like your parents door during happy time.
Reno8 - 2008-02-05 12:48 AM

jchughes66 - 2008-02-04 11:36 PM

My mom did, too....That's how I know about them! LOL

x3

This really makes me regret not getting into the useless workout equipment buisness, lol. It's a wonder what people will buy that'll get them out of actually working out.

How is everyone's training going? I just started my plan last week and it's off to kind of a bad start. For some reason I can not bring myself to get in the water after I lift weights--it's so cold and wet, I really need to work out that.

2008-02-06 4:35 PM
in reply to: #1088605

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Jonathan22's group - CLOSED like your parents door during happy time.
Despite the rumors, your fearless leader mentor is not dead.  Coach says no workouts for next few days and I'm all over that slack plan.  That's the one thing I like most about my coach: he is a lot more conservative with these things that I am (in a very good way and it ALWAYS works out for the best).  Last year I would have tried to train THROUGH being sick.  Probably not a good move.
2008-02-06 8:42 PM
in reply to: #1194771

User image

Sadly, my training has come to a screeching halt.  I am to rest for 12 weeks.  I go to a new PT tomorrow to help me define what "rest" really means for me.  Clearly, full rest would require me being chained to a chair somewhere.  I do not think that would be good for a) my body b) my children or c) my marriage.  I did swim today with almost all of it being upper body work.   Even swimming agravates (sp?) my knee.  I have fluid in my knee in several spots from "over use".  I can't imagine what they mean. (ha!) I do plan on taking this time to truly solve this problem that has been plaguing me for nearly 18 months with no resolution.  I tend to be weak in the core and upper body so this is a great time to focus on those. Still, the urge to hop on my bike and go for a ride is a strong one.  I hope everyone on else's training plans are going a little smoother!
2008-02-06 9:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Orygun

I am so sharing the pain w/ you guys...Still trying to rehab the groin pull.  Lots of pool time but my run/bike skills (yeah, right) are gonna suck even more. It's SO hard not to workout even though your brain tells you it's not a good idea.....

And J22---glad to hear you'll listen to your COACH if not a doctor (uh, me), and not try to push through when you're sick!!!!!

Jules

2008-02-09 8:18 PM
in reply to: #1198328

User image

Kansas City
Graceful Bulldog - 2008-02-06 8:42 PM

Sadly, my training has come to a screeching halt.  I am to rest for 12 weeks.  I go to a new PT tomorrow to help me define what "rest" really means for me.  Clearly, full rest would require me being chained to a chair somewhere.  I do not think that would be good for a) my body b) my children or c) my marriage.  I did swim today with almost all of it being upper body work.   Even swimming agravates (sp?) my knee.  I have fluid in my knee in several spots from "over use".  I can't imagine what they mean. (ha!) I do plan on taking this time to truly solve this problem that has been plaguing me for nearly 18 months with no resolution.  I tend to be weak in the core and upper body so this is a great time to focus on those. Still, the urge to hop on my bike and go for a ride is a strong one.  I hope everyone on else's training plans are going a little smoother!

Wow--your knee pain sounds pretty severe. How did the injury happen? I guess you said that it was "overuse"...was it gradual or did it come on suddenly.

I hope you feel better soon--that really sucks. Any advice on how to prevent this would be appreciated.
2008-02-10 7:54 AM
in reply to: #1203207

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

Well maybe we need to change the name of our group to "J22's Mash Ward"

Between the fluid on the knee, flu and groin pulls I feel right at home after taking a thrown baseball off of my big toe and having to have it drilled and drained on Fri.

It feels better and I am still going to try and do 7 miles today to make sure I am good for my challenge group....we shall see.

Hope everyone is recovering nicely and as Jason Bourne, my all time hero (other than Jonathan22 of course) said..."Rest is a weapon."  So take care of yourselves and get well so that when the season gets here you are not nursing these things all spring and summer.

Train hard and be safe

Steve

2008-02-10 6:16 PM

User image

Master

I hope everyone had a great weekend.

After 5 days of not training, I ran yesterday and rode today.  HR is all over the place (mostly due to the drugs I think) but otherwise it was a good 2 days of training. 

This week, my schedule looks likes this:

• Mon - 45 min easy bike
  • Tue - Masters; 1 hr interval run
  • Wed - Core; ascending interval bike
  • Thu - 1 hr tempo bike
  • Fri - Core; 1.5 hr (3000m) swim; 45 min easy run
  • Sat - 2.5 hr bike (includes 9 mile TT)
  • Sun - 1 hr base run
2008-02-11 11:55 AM
in reply to: #1203990

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
  • Off today  1 mile run home from practice (10:40)
  • Tue.- Power Yoga + short run
  • Wed.- Medium run, massage + adjustment
  • Thur.- Power Yoga or the pool+ short run
  • Fri.-Spin (or pool if I didn't go Thur) + short run or bike
  • Sat.-Long Run
  • Sun.-Medium bike ride

YES I did say I would get in the pool.

Edited by Reno8 2008-02-11 7:44 PM
2008-02-11 3:58 PM

User image

Kansas City
Okay, I'll play:

mon: weight training, 30 min swim
tue: bike 1 hour, run 30 min
wed: bike 1 hour, swim 30 min
thur: weight training, 3o min swim
frid: run 1 hour
sat: swim 1.5 hours, run 30 min
sun: bike 1.5 hours

What i neglected in my training plan were off days. I guess some days are less work than others so it kind of counts as an off day....

I'm gonna have to think about this one some more and consult my personal trainer. The problem is that when I'm in the swing of things I don't really feel like taking any days off. If I do feel like taking a day off I usually do it. I'll just give myself permission to take a rest day off if i need/want one (but no more than 1 a week unless im sick).
2008-02-11 7:48 PM
in reply to: #1203207

User image

How did this happen? That is the big question. I had some IT Band issues almost two years ago when I was training for my first tri.  I had no advice on how to train and I think I was doing the "all or nothing" mentality. I wasn't great at warming up or cooling down.  I think I thought I was a couple of decades younger than I really am! After my first race I went to PT and learned a little about caring for myself better.  I was in good shape when I hit my next race 3 months later.  That is the race where I feel I really injured myself in a downhill run.  I was running a steep down hill at top speed for about 1.5 mi.  I have struggled with it ever since.  The MRI shows no tears so I am not sure what I did.  They say it is my knee cap that slides to the side over and over again and causes the irritation.  I think a strong core and lots of stretching are part of it. One leg is a little shorter and it puts my hip off, blah,blah, blah.  I think I am learning the best advice is not to run injured.  Gutting it out doesn't seem like it really worked and now I am months behind where I could have been.  I think everything little thing I am learning is part of the answer and patience is the key.  I am a little short on that. I wouldn't say most of us in this sport are wired to take it easy.  I am doing that now! Stay healthy and listen to your body, not just what your schedule says.
2008-02-11 7:50 PM
in reply to: #1205836

User image

Please plan a rest day.  Even my swim coach, who took 13th in the World in Berlin last year, told me how important a rest day was.  She said,"It is neccesary for both the mind and the body." I have to agree!

2008-02-11 8:12 PM
in reply to: #1205836

User image

Master

tameryka - 2008-02-11 3:58 PM What i neglected in my training plan were off days. I guess some days are less work than others so it kind of counts as an off day.... I'm gonna have to think about this one some more and consult my personal trainer. The problem is that when I'm in the swing of things I don't really feel like taking any days off. If I do feel like taking a day off I usually do it. I'll just give myself permission to take a rest day off if i need/want one (but no more than 1 a week unless im sick).

I struggled with this last year too. Double up workouts so that I could take a "rest" day or just do a light workout and go all 7 days per week. 

Look back at April of last year and you will know my answer. 

That said, I would do 2 or 3 weeks build and 1 week rest. On your rest week, cut the volume down and take a 1 or 2 days rest. 

Edited by jonathan22 2008-02-11 8:15 PM
2008-02-11 9:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Orygun

Yeah, us old farts don't have a choice about resting....or our bodies will make us!

Here's mine (feels really wimpy, as I'm still trying to SLOWLY ramp back up after the groin pull...)

• Sun-level 2 bike, 80 min
  • Mon-swim/drills 45 min
  • Tues-run 20 min
  • Wed-swim/drills 45 min
  • Thurs-run 30 min, swim lesson
  • Fri-off or easy bike 
  • Sat-run 30 min

I agree; I don't think any of us are wired to take it easy! I've already learned, though, that if it hurts stop NOW and rest before it gets any worse or you're out longer!

Sorry to hear about your knee, Bulldog! 

2008-02-12 10:20 AM

User image

Kansas City
Jonathan, you're a riot, lol. You're last April schedule was ridiculous, hahah.

Well for me, I don't like to plan rest days for some reason. I rest when I want to or when I feel like it. It's something about the spontanaity.

If I'm in pain than I obviously take a few days easy to recover. A couple of weeks back I crashed and took three days off in a row. I do have a pattern of build build build and then recover just like J said. Some weeks I'm super intense and then it's usually followed by a week of slacking a little.
2008-02-13 2:50 PM
in reply to: #1206379

User image

Thanks for the sympathy!  I am hoping I don't need much more of it.  I got the green light to do a little jogging yesterday.  The PT is playing with my orthotics which he think is the main fault for my knee.  I would LOVE to believe that it is all that simple.  I am afraid I have been down this road before so I am not quite as naive as I wish I was! BTW, your week's schedule looks like a good one.  Enjoy!
2008-02-14 4:43 AM
in reply to: #1207043

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

tameryka - 2008-02-12 11:20 AM Well for me, I don't like to plan rest days for some reason. I rest when I want to or when I feel like it. It's something about the spontanaity. If I'm in pain than I obviously take a few days easy to recover. I do have a pattern of build build build and then recover just like J said. Some weeks I'm super intense and then it's usually followed by a week of slacking a little.

My thoughts and plan exactly.  If my body says take a day...well I do it but if the schedule says take one then I tend not to listen as well because I know I can trust my body and if I feel bad or a bad weather day comes along I don't feel guilty.

2008-03-07 8:43 AM

User image

Master

Time to kick-start our thread again.  I know everyone is training and daylight savings time and warmer temps around the corner mean only one thing: even more training.

Another mentor leader has challenge our group to a challenge.

If you are not familiar with it, you set your goals for SBR for the month and then track against them.  So if you feel like you can do 50 miles for the month on the bike, then you would commit to that.  No extra credit for going over. 

Let me know what you guys think.  Personally, since I'm a competitive SOB, I think it'd be fun to put another group down.

2008-03-27 9:44 AM

User image

Kansas City
Wow- you guys have been really slacking with your posts. Need to pick it up! (JK)

As you can see from my logs, March has really sucked for me in terms of training. I had to go away for interviews and when I came back I got sick. I really can not wait to get back in the swing of things and start training again.

During all this "down time", I've been thinking about why it is that I'm doing triathlon in the first place. I started doing it because it is fun, challenging and keeps me in shape. I think that perhaps I overextended myself with the half ironman training goal in my FIRST season. It really has become very strenuous and I somehow managed to turn something that was originally "fun" into something that is militant and torturous. I don't think I'm in shape enough for the challenge. I still want to do the HIM but I think that maybe I should wait a couple of seasons. I think I technically could do it but why risk injuring myself if this is just a hobby?

My new game plan is to do sprints and olys this season and hold off on the ironmans until I have a very good base fitness level built up. I still want to do them but I think working up to them gradually is a better idea. This way I can still "keep it fun."
2008-03-27 2:43 PM

User image

Master

E,

I know exactly what you mean.  Last year was my first year doing tris (or anything really) and I did 2 sprints and 2 olys.  This year I'm doing all distances.  Right now I can't believe the time my coach has me putting in just for a HIM.  I shudder to think what mid-summer will look like for IM.

While I have no doubt I could do IMLOU 09 or IMFL 09 next year, I'm 50% on that decision based on the time to train alone.  I won't committ one way or another until August which is when IMLOU registration is (and I see who else is signing up). 

Whichever I do, next year will be drastically shortened.  A spring mary, a summer HIM and a fall IM.  Maybe few sprints an an Oly or two. 

One thing I learned during my college running days is that this stuff needs to be fun.  If you are not having fun, you will burn out very quickly. 

Finally, HIM and IMs aren't going anywhere.  There will be here next year and the year after when you are ready to tackle the distance.

2008-03-27 11:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Orygun

Gotta agree, as usual, w/ our fearless leader...

I've found out that my dedication suffers when I get to the point it feels like a "have to" instead of a "want to".

I'm eventually hoping to do an IM, but we'll see if I have enough time for the training.  E, your goal of a 1/2IM this year was amazing; I couldn't do it.  (I did 3 sprints and an Oly last year; planning for multiple sprints/Olys and a 1/2IM @ the end of the year).  Did you have a lot of time in any of the sports before you started this?  I can't imagine having to "train up" to all those distances from scratch! 

You'll kick butt in whatever distances you do this year! 

Anybody have info on what the best racing frequency is?  (I take a while to recover, so I only have races planned once a month). 

2008-04-03 9:03 PM
in reply to: #1299017

User image

Hi All,

I am still alive and kicking.  I am working my way back up to racing speed.  It has been a slow haul.  I am still want to do Iron Girl RYKA in late June.  I was really hoping to get one shorter sprint in before I do my first 800m swim.  Because the swim portion has "freaked" me out in the past, I really want to feel completely confident before I add distance. I have to remind myself that I am not the swimmer I started out.  I admire all of you with grand goals.  My girlfriend, who started at the same time as me, is doing her first Oly this year.  She trains less but has that "I can do anything" spirit.  I works for her every time. 
I am the train overly so that I feel completely confident before the next step.  Odd, I am usually much more of a risk taker. Hope you all heading toward your goals!

ps. Love the "some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints"!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jonathan22's group - CLOSED like your parents door during happy time. Rss Feed  

of 7