General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My Newton Experience Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-12-07 12:14 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: My Newton Experience
There has been discussion before about the shoes, not much of it being first hand. I got a pair for an early Christmas gift and thought I would share my experience. I am not looking to debate the shoes, just provide my working knowledge of them.

I was in Chicago (where I am from) for a wedding this past weekend, and knew that my old running store Runner's High was now: Runner's High n Tri. Obviously I had to check it out, see what they were offering. I went to the store after running some errands, and noticed that they carried Newton, I was surprised by this so I began talking to a nice lady named Erin.

They showed me the Newton DVD and we spoke more about the shoes. The owner of the shop was talking about his experience with them, and that it took him almost 30 miles to get used to running in them, but he no longer wears his generic orthotics when he runs. I wear custom made carbon fiber in my shoes whether I am walking, running, going out at night.

They recommended that I try the stability racing shoe, the Distance S. They put my orthotics in, I out the shoes on walked around the store, and ran real quick outside (I was wearing jeans and not dressed to run in the weather). I liked how they felt, it was a weird feeling at first. Unlike normal shoes they do not sit "flat." They feel like they are arched opposite to your foots natural arch.

6 days later...I finally get to run in them. Due to work and freezing rain I was not able to get out and go for a run. From what I have read/been told/seen it can take up to 60 miles to get used to the shoes.

My plan was to run 3miles with about .25 being offroad through a field. Simple loop, with some small hills, but mainly flat.

I tend to run as a midsole striker until I become fatigued and will then land on my heel. I made a conscience effort to run forefoot. About 3/4mile into my run, my right calve muscle (front side) became very tight. The pain was similar to shin splints, but I could stretch it out, and it was definitely the muscle.

I stretched and ran again, the pain came back after a few 1/10ths, stretch again and I was ok to run. My left leg felt fine the entire time. I finished my 3miles, got in the car and drove to the beach. My right leg quickly recovered and I ran a few 1/5mile sprints at the beach's parking lot. I felt fine and almost wanted to go for another run, but decided to head home. My legs felt fine all night and today they still feeling alright.

What I noticed:
When I made a very conscience effort to run forefoot, I noticed that I did not have the calf pain and the shoes felt very springy. When I first started I felt like I was working harder than normal for the same HR, if I take the pauses out of my time for stretching, my first mile was faster than normal (but same HR).

I need to get out and run in them more. Worth the price? Yes, because they were a free early Christmas gift. I normally run in Brook's Adrenaline and my sizing for both are the same. Not sure if I would buy for myself at this point, but I will keep this thread updated with my progress, I should get out for another run tomorrow as long as its not too warm (if its real warm I will go for a long bike ride).

2007-12-07 8:32 PM
in reply to: #1088755

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: My Newton Experience
Thanks for the advice, and what you experienced.  I also am looking to invest in a pair of Newtons as well.  Please keep me up to date in what you have experienced with them.
2007-12-07 8:41 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I got some at IMLP in July. I love them and afters dealing with achillies tendinitis and plantar fasiticis on and off since October 2006, I have been able to run with out those issues. I switched to mid foot landing last October just before issues started...so the transition to the Newtons for me was easy.

We just need more folks to buy them so they manufacture them in larger quantities and price comes down. 

2007-12-08 8:01 AM

User image

Expert

Its good to hear what "normal" triathletes think about the shoes.  Here in San Diego we have lots of the pros (Paula Newby Fraiser and lots of others) endorsing the shoe, but I am always hesitant of believing what the pros say, because I never know if the are really good shoes or are they just trying to endorse a new product.   

I've heard both good and bad about the shoes, but more good than anything from the everyday triathlete.  With the help of my coach I'm becoming a forefoot runner, and I suffer from chronic shin splints.  I guess if anything if I don't like them I can always send them back.

2007-12-08 1:01 PM

User image

Elite
I went for my 2nd run in the shoes today. I did not experience the front calf pain that I did during the first run. I wore what I normally wear when I run. The difference between these 3 miles vs the 1st 3 is where I ran. The first run was relatively flat this time is what hilly with 2 strong hills.

I tried to run at the same cadence I normally run at (or what felt normal), my HR was higher than normal by about 10bpm. I was not listening to music at all, my goal was to focus on my form. I can not really compare this run to the first since it was different terrain. I still felt the 'bounce' as it was.

The only thing that felt awkward was running downhill, if I tried to run normal (midfoot)I felt ok, but if I focused on fore-foot running I felt more like I was slowing myself down. Coming up the hills felt great, I slow my pace by about 30s/mile coming up hills.

My legs feel fine now, I feel good. What sucks is that I do not really feel my stride coming until mile 3 most days. Tomorrow I am going to run the same run I did today in my old running shoes to do a comparison.
2007-12-11 7:24 PM

User image

Elite
3rd run today, same hills as before. I had no pain during or after. I rode on my trainer for 30min before the run and 1:30 after the run without any issues. The run felt faster (it was marginally), but it felt better than the previous runs.

2007-12-12 9:58 AM

User image

Elite

Interesting read.  Thanks!

I've looked into Newton's after getting Post-Tib tendinitis.

Keep us posted.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My Newton Experience Rss Feed