BT Development Mentor Program Archives » CBarnes - Second time mentor - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-12-07 9:09 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Subject: CBarnes - Second time mentor - Full

Story: I have been active on BT for almost 2 years and have completed 6 sprint tris 1 Olympic tri several 5k’s and two 10ks and a half marathon. During this time I have dropped 26 pounds and gone from 13 min miles to sub 9, 12 mph rides to 20 and improved my swimming greatly. I am not the most experienced but I can appreciate the importance of having someone looking at my logs and offering encouragement during the week who also has a full time job and other outside commitments.

My background: I am a 45 year old Navy retiree; I teach High School Government and Economics and attend college part time working on my Masters of education in Health and Kinesiology  this is a change last year I was working on Public Admin but now I want to be a coach.

Family: I have been married for 23 years, we have 2 children 21, and 18, both are in college. My wife has no interest in running or triathlons but provides me with limitless support and has started riding with me some this year.  My other interests are Scuba diving, hunting, and politics but they have started to fall further and further behind triathlon.

Training: My training has been steady 5 to 10 hours per week, and has become more structured over the last year, I set goals last year to improve my sprint tri time by 20 min (Jefferson)  I only managed 14 due to a knee injury but I did reach all my other goals including the half marathon. Up to this point I have been a back to mid packer but intend to move  to the front in sprints this season.  I believe the most important part of training is DOING IT. It can be hard and we can all make excuses (I make them too) but at the end of the week the truth shows thru in the logs. If you can not run, walk if you can not ride fast, than ride slow, and if you can not swim far, swim short over and over until you can swim far.

If you are in my group I will do my best to keep you going but in the end YOU have to want it change is hard but it is well worth it. 

Weight Loss Goals: I will drop 15 pounds with in the first 60 days of the new year.

2008 goals Half Iron in Sept. and big improvements in the shorter events.

My favorite saying is If it is to BE, It is up to ME.

Edited by CBarnes 2006-12-21 6:10 PM

-----
If not NOW then WHEN? if not YOU than WHO?

Edited by CBarnes 2007-12-10 8:39 PM

2007-12-09 2:03 PM
in reply to: #1089741

User image

Veteran
Greensboro,NC
Subject: RE: CBarnes - Second time mentor - Open!
Hello.
I think I could learn a lot from you and this group so I would like to join. Here is a little about me:

I am 57 years old and new to endurance sports. I have been married 33 years(2 grown daughters-one just graduated from SMU) and my wife thinks I have gone off the deep end(again). 2 years ago I weighed 205 lbs. and almost registered obese on the government scale. I had high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Anyway,I started walking/jogging and worked with a nutritionist for 6 months. I lost 40 lbs.

I really loved running and increased my mileage too fast. I developed bursitis in my right foot,visited a podiatrist, and got orthotics.He suggested I cut back on my running and start cross training. I was not happy but decided to start biking. I enjoyed it and gradually picked up my running.

In July of this year,I signed up for a sprint triathlon in August. I got enough swimming help so I could at least finish the swim part of the Tri. The biking and running were a little easier. My goal was just to finish and I did it!

I now have the bug and have been part of a masters swim program since Labor Day. I hope to do 4-5 triathlons next year.

I am working on the 20 week maintenance program which will be over about mid February. I then plan to do the 8 week bike focused program with a first tri in mid April.

John

2007-12-09 8:03 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas

Hey John,

I just looked at your logs looks like you have a good training plan going keep up the good work

2007-12-09 8:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Longview
Clifford....can I join your group? You know my story...I have done two sprint tris this past year....I also did my first two 5k runs since high school this past year...one timed at 25:52, and the other timed at 25:13...so I would like to get faster at running.....my big goals for 2008:

1. Complete a 10k - hopefully the Tyler Azalea on March 29th

2. Complete one open water swim...my first being on April 12th in Irving.

My list of triathlons so far include for 2008:

March 8th - Athens - registered

April 12th - Irving Playtrifest...my son will be doing the dualthon as well here

May 18th - Four States in Texarkana

June/July - Jefferson Heritage Triathlon

and I'd like to make my possible BIG events

Olympic length on September 28th - Stonebridge Ranch....

OH - and I am CONTEMPLATING the Tyler 1/2....which is usually in November????

My biggest battles are like everyones...I work full time, but I refuse to neglect my husband and kids...they are #1. Oh - my career and triathlons interchange for #2 and #3 quite a bit...lol.

2007-12-10 5:41 AM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Welcome Bonnie It is good to have someone who is in the local area. 
2007-12-10 8:50 AM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas

Looks like the group is starting with some highly motivated people both John and Bonnie have solid logs and some good training I think both of you will be great additions to the group and to the entire BT community.  I will ask both of you to be active in providing inspires to each other, our new members, and of course to me, lol but really We all face struggles in our training and the contact from group members and friends really helps.  I would like to seek some true newbs at this point and of course other East Texans I think with the addition of Bonnie and John we have a great range of experience and backgrounds so I would like to hold off on adding any more experienced people until Mid January to allow time for the newly motivated to join in.

2007-12-10 9:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Greensboro,NC
Bonnie and Clifford,
I have added you as friends to my log. Since I am new at this and not that great a communicator,please feeel free to give me lots of feedback on being a good team member.

Thanks.

John
2007-12-10 11:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Longview
John,

I added you as well. Last night I could not figure out why my graphs looked strange, and I realized because on some training I did not put in my minutes. (forehead slapper).

I went back and filled them in as best as I could, so realize these may be a TAD inaccurate for October and some of November. Before I backfilled in this information, I kept this information on my own, and sometimes I kepts the minutes, sometimes I did not. I had to make a good "guess" on the ones I didn't keep.

Starting mid november through current, everything is pretty much 100% though.

My next "event" is actually a 4 mile run with our local running club on January 5th. I am anxious to see how my mile paces out for this compared to a 5K.

What about you guys?
2007-12-10 11:22 AM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Hey everyone!  Hoping I can be one of those newbies in the group! I've been lurking on the boards for awhile now.  I think it's time I start participating.

About me:  I work as a chemist for a pharmaceutical company.  I am also returning to school on a part time basis.  Recently, a co-worker convinced me to start training for a triathlon.  It seemed like the perfect challenge.  I swam competitively in high school and until a recent move had commuted to work by bicycle.  The only thing missing was the running.  But running is easy right?  Just put one foot in front of the other and try not to fall down.  Hah!  It was two months before I could even complete 3 miles without walking.

Training:  I am three months into this "let's do a triathlon" challenge.  My training has been sporadic at best.  School and work eat up a lot of my free time.  Running has been my most consistent activity as I can fit in a half hour on my lunch break.  I've finally worked out a good pool shedule.  But the bike...oh how the bike has fallen off the map.

I really want to be a part of a group that will keep me motivated - someone looking over my shoulder so I won't bag the workout.  I also would love advice from the more experienced folk on how to set reasonable (and achievable) goals.

2007-12-10 3:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Kalispell, MT

Hey, can I join your group?

I'm a newbie, in my second week of the 20 week tri program. 

Running my first tri in June.

Will do a couple of 5K's between now and then, completed my first 5K ever on Saturday.  Haven't run that far since basic training 1986!

39 years old, married going on 20 years, 2 beautiful daughters 17 & 15...

Motivation? Seeing my grandkids... 

2007-12-10 4:41 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Welcome Mel and ESC.  I look forward to watching you progress toward your first Tri.  Now if we can get get one more It looks like Bonnie may be our only woman I think it would be good to get a second for the group so she is not in the boys club.

2007-12-10 4:52 PM

San Jose
Hello, I was wondering if your group is still open? I am a newbie to the tri. I have been training for about four weeks. I have signed up to do the Napa Sprint on May 4th. I am 43 yrs old and I weight about 157. My goal is to come in the middle of the pack at my age group and to lose another 20 pnds. I am in a swimming class on Mondays and Friday's and I run the tread mill on Thursdays and run outside on Sunday's. I am having trouble trying to complete a mile outside without stopping. On the treadmill I can run a 12 minute mile @ 5.1 speed and the treadmill will go up and down at different intervals. As far a the bike, I have been training on the bike in the gym. I have a mountain bike that I am going to change tires up and some other things. I have been pretty consistent with my training I have logged in my training every day since I started. I am the slowest one in the pool and my running is not all that and a bag of chips. Can you please help. I really want to be ready when May 4th rolls around. I live in San Jose Ca. so the weather is ok to train outside, however I do have a 9-6 job and by the time I get off its dark and thats why I ride the bike at the gym. Thanks for your help. Look forward to hearing from you. Brenda

Edited by mvblb 2007-12-10 5:11 PM
2007-12-10 5:35 PM
in reply to: #1093365

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

It looks like Bonnie may be our only woman

Nope!  Although, as a youngster, I told people that I wanted to be a boy when I grew up...mom really broke my heart when she told me that wasn't going to happen.   

Emily

2007-12-10 6:12 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Well with the addition of Brenda it looks like we guys will be the minority. and unless anyone wants out I will close the group.
2007-12-10 7:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensboro,NC
Bonnie,
Thanks for posting on my blog. I replied there. Is that the best way to do it?

John
2007-12-10 8:48 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Subject: RE: CBarnes - Second time mentor - Full
Ok Thank you all for joning the group  Brenda will you open your logs so we can see our training?  I think we will all have a great season I am looking forward to it.  First I must say I do not spel well and I do not take a lot of time looking over what I have typed to proof read for spelling ect so I am an saying Sorry now   it is just one of my shortcommings.  communication is a big thing here during the year we will ALL exoerence big up time and big down time we need to all help and support eachother that does not always mean )o it is ok you wil catch up later) sometime it is a foot in the butt sometimes a pat on the back and sometimes a hand up. I think we all have familys do not exclude them they may not have your desire they may think you are nuts but try to offer them the chance to join in bike when you run kyake when you swim volunteer whan you race all of tha is helping them to help you.  See i told ya I could not spell or proof read.  LOL rest well train hard  more in the marrow.

2007-12-10 9:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Longview
John - that works for me...whatever is easiest for you!

Everyone - I am so excited to be part of this group. It gives me a group of people to talk "tri" talk with...my husband is 100% supportive, but I think sometimes when I start talking tri, all he hears is "blah blah blah".... kinda like me when he talks football or video games I guess.

Like I said, I am really excited. When I decided in September to do a triathlon because my city was doing their first one, I did not realize what was about to start in my life....oh - at the end of September this year was the first time I had been on a bike in probably 22 years, and when I stepped into the pool, I had not swam a real lap for 22 years either! (Playing with kids and making sure they don't drown is NOT swimming). There was LITERALLY blood sweat and tears, and I did my first triathlon on November 3rd....with about 8 weeks of training from scratch...and I was HOOKED. On my home page here, you can either go to my family site, my myspace page, or even see pics of that first...and my 2nd triathlon...at the site for the East Texas Triathletes. My events were the Longview PARD mini tri, and the Flower Mound Reverse Tri.

I look forward to the support we can give to each other here...like Clifford said, it's great to be able to share goals and victories...no matter how small or big the victory.

Okay - I'll be quiet now.

Bonny
2007-12-10 10:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Longview
Emily - I noticed you don't have any bike minutes...do you not own a bicycle yet? I noticed in your post you said your bike time had "fallen" - not sure if that meant you just have not had time to get on a bike yet...or your bike owning status.

Brenda - I trained for three weeks on a mountain bike before I got my road bike....my bike coach/friend put some road tires on it...and I trained that way for my first four good rides.

Edited by bworkman 2007-12-10 10:27 PM
2007-12-11 8:20 AM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
After I closed the group I had one more person ask to join does anyone object to letting in 1 more?
2007-12-11 9:16 AM
in reply to: #1094553

User image

Veteran
Kalispell, MT
CBarnes - 2007-12-11 7:20 AM

After I closed the group I had one more person ask to join does anyone object to letting in 1 more?
No objections at all....

Does our group continue communicating using this forum?
2007-12-11 9:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Greensboro,NC
No objections

2007-12-11 10:30 AM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
We can use this forum to share information with the group but use the inspires and PM's to send notes to eachother.
2007-12-11 11:45 AM
in reply to: #1094133

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Emily - I noticed you don't have any bike minutes...do you not own a bicycle yet? I noticed in your post you said your bike time had "fallen" - not sure if that meant you just have not had time to get on a bike yet...or your bike owning status.

Oh no, I have a bike...it's just getting dusty in the garage.  It started as a lack of time thing.  Now it's an I live in Lafayette, Indiana kind of thing.  With classes all wrapped up I've finally got some free time but it's been snowing/sleeting/raining for the past 2 weeks.  Blah!

I'm hoping to pick up a trainer in the next few weeks.  In the mean time I guess I'll just hope for the temperature to rise above 50.

2007-12-11 2:01 PM
in reply to: #1093910

San Jose
Hey there,
I think I opened but not sure. I changed the settings. Let me know if its not right.
Thanks
Brenda
2007-12-11 6:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensboro,NC
Yes, Brenda, your log is open. Are you following one of the training plans? You have a lot of options being a silver member.

John
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » CBarnes - Second time mentor - Full Rss Feed  

of 3