BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Brian and the Tri Tarts Group - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2007-12-07 9:33 PM

User image

Expert
Michiana
Subject: Brian and the Tri Tarts Group - Full

NAME: Brian

STORY: I'm 37 and entering my 3rd season of triathlons.  Actually, I did a triathlon in the summer of '88 and took a 18 year break...

I sort of fell out of shape after mariage and having kids.  In the summer of 2002, I signed up for the Chicago Marathon and trained to finish it.  I did finish in 4:30 and enjoyed myself immensely.  However, I fell into a rut and didn't run again for three-and-a-half years.

I got unfit again; working too much, not taking care of myself and resolved in the spring of 2006 to get back into shape.  I decided triathlons would be better for me, as the variety of training was really appealing.  I focused my efforts on the Sprint and completed my first (in 18 years) in June '06.  I also signed up for and completed a marathon that fall.  Only this time, I did not take a three year break.  Triathlon and the BT community have helped me to become more consistent about staying in shape.  More on this consistency thing later...

Besides my consistency, I'm most proud of my progress as a swimmer.  When I started, like many others on BT, I could swim only 25 meters before becoming so out of breath, I had to rest for several minutes.  Now, I can pretty much swim for as long as I want.  I recently did 2,000m without stopping.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm a husband and father of two (7 & 4).  I work quite a bit too.  So, triathlon is really my 3rd priority leaving little to no room for a 4th, like golf or having beers with the guys.  My wife's a runner.  So, we do a lot of that together.  We actually ran the Columbus Marathon this past October tape-to-tape, sharing every grueling moment.  ;)

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm currently training for a half marathon in April.  I'm also working to improve my swim over the winter months.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2007 was my first full season of triathlons and racing (I did one sprint in 2006).  Let's see, here is how the year went...

2008 RACES:  While not set in stone I have some races and goals for the upcoming season.  As you can see, I'm repeating a lot of the local races from 2007.  I'm focusing on the run right now as I hope to qualify for the Boston Marathon someday (fall '09).  Of course, I want to become faster across all three disciplines and improve on my times from 2007.

·  1:35 Holy Half (4/6)
·  0:43 LMC 10k (4/19)
·  2:35 Pokagon Oly (5/17
·  2:30 Johan's Oly (6/21)
·  5:30 IM 70.3 Steelhead (8/2)
·  2:25 Niles Oly (8/30)
·  0:42 Salmon Chase 10k (9/?)
·  3:25 NYC Marathon (11/2)

WEIGHTLOSS: I started 2007 at about 180.  I got down into the mid 160's.  I did go from a 36" to a 33" waist.  To my wife's embarrassment at the J-Crew outlet, I shouted this over the dressing room door while trying on jeans this past summer.  :)

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:  I was a mentee last January.  A huge benefit I got from my mentor and the others in our group was the motivation to be more consistent.  I feel this is the biggest reason for success.  So many people look for a secret weapon, silver bullet or "easy" path to improving their fitness.  I've come to realize that consistent, purposeful training is how it's done.  Having a good mentor and supportive group will help drive that consistency in your training.

I log my training religiously as do those in my support group.  Having someone say "nice training" or "great work-out" is quite motivating.  Also, it's healthy (for some) to be told once-in-awhile "what's going on?...  slacking at bit?"  By making your work-outs somewhat public you become accountable for your consistency.  I like to give and get encouragement from my support group and look to welcome you into this great way of networking and becoming better triathletes.

I'm a bit of a techie when it comes to training. I love reading articles about training and pondering how to become a better triathlete.  I've read Joel Friel's "The Triathletes Training Bible" cover-to-cover.  I'm a big advocate of heart rate training and periodization.  I'll forward stuff that might be interesting to the group as we go along.  I'm happy to give advice if asked.  Just remember that I'm not a coach or doctor.

I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences and learning with you.  Sign up!  It'll be fun...

Edited by mbmoran2 2008-01-04 4:22 PM

2007-12-09 4:27 PM
in reply to: #1089758

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: mbmoran2's group -- OPEN!!!

Brian,

Can I be in your mentor group?  I was in IronSteve's last winter and have a lot more to learn as this is only my second year of tris.  I did 2 sprints and a mini sprint last season. My goal this year is an OLY in late July and HIM in early September.  I'm planning on a run focus this season with my annual 10K in April and a half mary a couple weeks after that.  I also want to do the Richmond marathon in November--but if I don't feel ready to go there I'll do the half mary  option.  Biking is probably my wakest link but I'm doing spinnervals this winter to strengthen that

2007-12-09 5:25 PM

Veteran
New Jersey
Hi Brian:

I'd love to join your mentor group! I'm going to do my first triathlon in July, and it's olympic distance so I have a lot of work to do... I also would like to lose 35 pounds by then (oof). I like that you emphasize consistency, because that's exactly my weak point. I really need someone to give me a little prod if I start slipping! I think being accountable to a group like this would give me the kind of push i need to get me exercising more than my current 3-ish times a week. I also like that you're a techie about training - I'm a bit of a perfectionist (in fact, I'm the classic slacker perfectionist who plans big but never gets anything done!) so it's important to me to train as effectively as possible. I've got a general training plan worked out for myself, but I still need to tweak it a bit.

Anyway, I just started posting on these boards yesterday, so I'm still blindly feeling my way about - my training log only has one entry yet, but I do plan to keep it updated! Let me know if there's anything else I need to do to get into this mentor group.

Thanks,

Jenny
2007-12-09 9:59 PM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Hi, Brian -

I'd like to join your group, if you'll have me.

Last January, I was a mentee in mosc11's group...and that got me through my first triathlon (a pool sprint in March). In May, I actually co-mentored with mosc11, more as a cheerleader to her wisdom/experience.

Now, I think I'm ready to be on the receiving end of the advice again, and I think you might be the right guy.

In my earlier life, I was a runner. Cross-country/track in jr. high & high school. Then lots of years of nothing, because college & life got in the way. After baby #1, I started running again. Life got in the way, again. After baby #2, I had some job stress and didn't get back into running. My babies are now 5.5 and almost 3.

In January 2006, hubby and I decided that we were fat and not living life the way we wanted to. We started eating clean, he picked up weight training, and I started running. In my first year back 2006, I ran a bunch of 5K-5 mile races and lost 40+ pounds. In fall 2006, we moved from Chicago to central VA and I bought a road bike to use on the country roads, with the aim of someday doing tris - but I couldn't swim. In January 2007, I started swim lessons.

My 2007 season included 4 sprint tris, 3 with pool swims and 1 OWS (where I thought I was gonna die). I also did a few 10Ks and a few 5Ks here and there. I also rode a 50K supported bike ride. I'm wrapping up 2007 able to swim at least 1000m straight and workouts of 1500m or more, riding OK but needing work, and running 10 miles and building.

I'm ready to learn again, because I'm ready to up my distances and get better, faster, stronger... (oh, and skinnier...my goal is to race the 2008 not as an Athena (I have 2 pounds to go), and I hope to drop a little more than that because I think it would make me faster.)

I'm running my first half-mary in March and I'm hoping to do at least an Oly by the end of the season (and maybe a full mary late this fall?). I keep peeking at a fairly local HIM, but I think I need one more year before I'm ready for that...or not. I was drawn to your group because of your experiences and because I'm a bit of a tech geek myself . I train extensively by HR, have Friel's TTB bookmarked and underlined, and I log all my workouts and nutrition.

Kristen
2007-12-10 8:48 AM

User image

Expert
Michiana

Judi, Jenny and Kristen,

Thanks so much for signing up!  We're going to have fun keeping each other motivated and consistent (that goes for you keeping after me as well).  I've already added you three to my "friends" list.  While its a January 2008 Mentor Program, I don't see why we can't start helping each other out now.

Brian.

2007-12-10 9:35 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Hi Brian

If there is still room, you sound like the perfect person for me to have as a mentor (and maybe I can help you some too).  I am a wanna-be swimmer, an average biker (who wants to improve a lot) and a proficient runner.  I have yet to do a tri, only running races and one duathlon, but I have my first on the calendar next July '08.

Suzy

2007-12-10 10:03 AM

User image

Expert
Michiana

Welcome Suzy!

It looks like we have a really strong group to keep each other going through the winter months.

Well, there's room for one more!

Edited by mbmoran2 2007-12-10 10:03 AM
2007-12-10 10:13 AM

User image

Expert
Virginia
Can I be the one more?

I come from a track and field background - mainly throwing events with some running in there. I love to run and am ready to get back on the horse after a sprained knee in February. I am a very beginner swimmer (just started lessons in September). My plans for next year include a sprint distance tri (maybe a 2nd depending on some work travel stuff i'm still working out) and a few races (5-8K races). In the mean time, I hope to reach my goal of getting under 200 lbs by January 1st 2009. Right now, for the winter months, I want to work on my swimming and running so I can feel confident with race distances in both of those. I am relatively new to BT, but this mentor program seems like just the thing to help me learn more about what I am trying to do!

Kim
2007-12-10 10:27 AM

User image

Expert
Michiana
Subject: RE: mbmoran2's group -- CLOSED

Welcome Kim!!!

That makes 5 ladies and me.. I'm so lucky. 

2007-12-10 10:36 AM
in reply to: #1092390

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Wow - it looks like this will be a great group. Thanks for taking us on, Brian!

I'll start with a question...did you use a training program for your marathon or half-mary races? I haven't really followed a training plan thus far (for running or tris)...mostly because I was just kind of getting into the swing of things and I don't like to be told what to do.

But since I'm looking to up my game this season, I figured I might try the planned workout thing. (It shouldn't be too hard for me to listen to a piece of paper!) I've heard Higdon's half-mary is good and I also checked out the FIRST programs based on the mary-training-plan threads in Tri-Talk...but if you have any personal experience with those or others, I'd be happy to hear about it.

2007-12-10 10:38 AM

User image

Expert
Michiana

I know some of you are really working on the swim.  I think it's something common to a lot of triathletes.

As mentioned in my opening "story" I couldn't swim more than 50m at a time when I first started.  I did not use a coach, but did start the master's thing.  I was so uncertain at first but eventually "dove in" once I got the courage.

Seriously, looking back at my logs from Apr'06 - lots of 400-500m swim work-outs.  I also found a comment about 21-24 strokes per 25m.  I think I was in the 16-17 SPL last check.

I peeked at Suzy's recent logs... Those single-arm, catch-up and finger-tip drills are all great!  Keep it up!

Here's some great info on swimming/drills I just found:

http://www.cruciblefitness.com/etips/swimming-drills.htm

2007-12-10 10:54 AM
in reply to: #1092410

User image

Expert
Michiana

enders_shadow - 2007-12-10 11:36 AM Wow - it looks like this will be a great group. Thanks for taking us on, Brian! I'll start with a question...did you use a training program for your marathon or half-mary races? I haven't really followed a training plan thus far (for running or tris)...mostly because I was just kind of getting into the swing of things and I don't like to be told what to do. But since I'm looking to up my game this season, I figured I might try the planned workout thing. (It shouldn't be too hard for me to listen to a piece of paper!) I've heard Higdon's half-mary is good and I also checked out the FIRST programs based on the mary-training-plan threads in Tri-Talk...but if you have any personal experience with those or others, I'd be happy to hear about it.

I'm actually going to use the Runner's World Smart Coach tool for my April half. 

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/smartcoach/1,7148,s6-238-277-278-0-0-0-0-0,00.html

It's cool because it figures out your various training paces based on a recent performance.  Of course, doing fancy tests and hiring a coach would be great.  But for most of us, this is not our #1 or even #2 priority.  I know all my extra "resources" go to American Girl, Hannah Montana, Disney and the Lego companies - happily!

For the Columbus marathon this past October, I was coming off a HIM and Oly triathlons in August.  I basically used Hal Higdon's beginner plan with the first half sort of morphed due to the triathlons.  I made sure I was progressing as prescribed on the long runs throughout the program, but some of the early shorter runs were sacrificed for swims and bikes.  You see a lot of threads on BT about combo tri-marathon planning.

I'm still a relatively new runner, and recognize that my body can't yet sustain the 40-50mi weeks of the more advanced marathon plans.  This year I'm starting with a stronger running base and will be able to increase that volume a little more.  I tend to be fairly conservative about run training.   I have two rules for myself:

1. Increase mileage/volume no more than 10% per week.
  2. Don't increase intensity and volume at the same time.

Upping the game, eh?  That's awesome.  I sort of did this in 2007, transitioned from "finishing" to "RACING."

Edited by mbmoran2 2007-12-10 11:08 AM
2007-12-10 11:06 AM

Veteran
New Jersey
Subject: RE: mbmoran2's group -- CLOSED.
Hey, maybe I can actually be helpful! My background is swimming (though I'm rather out of practice), so I can offer tips if any of the beginner swimmers want them. Here's one - if you only pay attention to one thing on your stroke, make it this: don't let your hand cross over the center line of your body when it enters the water. That's a sure recipe for swimmer's shoulder.

In terms of speed, strokes per pool length is key. Try for below 20. I'm at 17 at the moment, and the olympic guys often do like 14!

2007-12-10 11:22 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

So Brian,

You're going to be surrounded by all these women   Last year I didn't follow any particular training plan.  One of my major goals this year is to follow one.  I have a book called "Triathlete  Magazine's Essential Week-by-Week Training Guide" that I'm planning on following.  The problem with most plans I've read is that they're in a code for the work out and you have to decipher the code to know what the heck you're supposed to do on a given day.  A friend is using index cards to write out the work outs so she can see what is should be and pull the card indicated.  Sounds like a lot of work but it may be worth it in the long run.  Another challenge is following the swim set they give when my coach plans our sets...I'm not ready to swim without coaching so I hope that deviating off the books plan isn't too much of a variance since the coach is working with the triathalon goals (most of our swim goup is into tris--I think we've scared off the non tiathletes some how)

2007-12-10 12:02 PM

User image

Expert
Virginia

right now, i'm using the beginner program on here (beginning to exercise).  i like it so far, it's been very helpful because it starts off low impact, so my knee feels way stronger than it did before i started.   I think closer to the triathlon, I'm going to switch over to one of the regular sprint program, like the 16 week one. 

I used the Runner's world smart coach last year for 5Ks and it was pretty awesome.  I think I am going to use it again this year. 

And now my own silly question - I love the logs on BT, but for some reason it seems that strength training isn't really easy to track on here (maybe I'm just missing something).  Brian, do you want us to track that on our logs?  If so..a few words of advice on how to get it in there?

2007-12-10 12:27 PM

User image

Champion

Hi All

This looks like a fun and very active blog group!

Ok swimming gurus I have a question for you.  In doing single arm drills, I feel much lower in the water so when I turn to breathe I can still get air, but find myself kicking my brains out (which I assume is a balance issue?).  What can I do differently?  I don't find myself to have the same issues when swimming with both arms.

For those that have a silver or gold membership there are videos of the swim drills. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1333

In single arm, he rolls both shoulders out of the water which is a mystery to me on how or why you would do that. Any clues? 

Thanks

Suzy

2007-12-10 12:46 PM
in reply to: #1092606

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
kimmitri408 - 2007-12-10 12:02 PM

right now, i'm using the beginner program on here (beginning to exercise).  i like it so far, it's been very helpful because it starts off low impact, so my knee feels way stronger than it did before i started.   I think closer to the triathlon, I'm going to switch over to one of the regular sprint program, like the 16 week one. 

I used the Runner's world smart coach last year for 5Ks and it was pretty awesome.  I think I am going to use it again this year. 

And now my own silly question - I love the logs on BT, but for some reason it seems that strength training isn't really easy to track on here (maybe I'm just missing something).  Brian, do you want us to track that on our logs?  If so..a few words of advice on how to get it in there?

Kim,

I agree about the logs for tracking strength sets.  It takes time, but I free text mine in each time I do them.  Feel free to look at them, I did a strength set today so there's one in there to look at

Judi

Edited by zipp1 2007-12-10 12:46 PM
2007-12-10 1:18 PM

Veteran
New Jersey
Suzy -

I don't have the silver membership so I can't take a look at the video, but if you're not already you might consider doing the one-arm drills with either a buoy or fins to start. Also, the shoulder-out-of-the-water on both sides bit is key - this should happen naturally if you're rotating your body enough during your stroke. Try to think of that rotation as an extension of your stroke. Your goal is to make your body as long as possible; think about how you would reach for something far above your head on land. Compare reaching over your head without moving your body at all to reaching over your head and allowing your body to shift to lengthen your reach. Your body naturally will rotate and the shoulder of your non-reaching arm will end up behind you - your stroke in the pool should feel just as natural as this, and just as much a whole-body motion.

Also, in the one arm drill you should be breathing on your non-stroking side.

good luck!

-Jenny
2007-12-10 1:24 PM

User image

Champion

Jenny

Take a look at the link I provided above.  The one arm drill is free to all users.  The athlete (who happens to be the guy who had the fastest swim split at Kona) breathes on the stroking side. Right?

thanks for the thoughts,

Suzy

2007-12-10 1:40 PM

Veteran
New Jersey
ahh, ok, I don't have video access here (i'm at my office computer) but I did look at the description. There's two versions of the one-arm drill - one where your non-stroking arm stays at your side, and one where your non-stroking arm stays in front of you. The former is the one I thought you were doing, and that's the one where you breathe on the opposite side. For the one you're doing, yes, it would be very difficult to breathe on the off side. Maybe give the arm at the side one a try too, and see which works for you? Either way, a buoy should help keep your body in line while you work on your rotation.
2007-12-10 1:43 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Suzy,

When swimming you do breathe to the stroking side. BUT in one arm  drill you breathe to the on stroke side. (not sure why that is--maybe Brian can answer us)

This is probably my least favorite drill-but I know I need to toss it in there once in a while when the coach suggests drills...I LOVE  fingertip drag and catch up, getting more adept at the fist drill. My coach does  something called a freestyle drill.  It's a combination of several drills: start off in the 6 kick flip/hold position hold it for 3 counts then raise the upper arm perpindicular to the body for a count of 4 then bring it in for a catch up/flip sides and repeat down the pool.  Use flippers if you need to help keep your butt from sinking.

2007-12-10 2:34 PM
in reply to: #1092715

User image

Expert
Virginia
zipp1 - 2007-12-10 1:46 PM

Kim,

I agree about the logs for tracking strength sets. It takes time, but I free text mine in each time I do them. Feel free to look at them, I did a strength set today so there's one in there to look at

Judi

Thanks!  I'll do something similar than, so you guys can see my strength training.  

All the swimming drills look very helpful.  I don't have the upgraded membership, but I'm thinking of getting the TI DVD.

2007-12-10 4:29 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I actually messed up something on that freestyle drill so ignore the last post on that drill here it is corected:

step 1.  6 kick flip/hold count 3

step 2. bring the arm perpindicular hold for 3 counts again

step 3. shoulder tap

step 4. catch up, rotate repeat length of pool

Kim, I know lots of peeps here use TI.  I use www.triswimcoach.com his material is easily understood and the drills make sense.  He's also closer in line to what my coach is eaching so I don't feel crazy trying to figure out who is right

Judi

2007-12-10 7:54 PM

User image

Expert
Virginia

my pic is blurry..but i have one up here. i'm gonna figure out how to make it less blurry though...

okay figured it out

judi, i will check that site out too.  i think i'm going to sign up for the next cycle of swim classes that start in january if they aren't full yet. 

Edited by kimmitri408 2007-12-10 8:03 PM
2007-12-10 8:46 PM
in reply to: #1093778

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
kimmitri408 - 2007-12-10 7:54 PM

my pic is blurry..but i have one up here. i'm gonna figure out how to make it less blurry though...

okay figured it out

judi, i will check that site out too.  i think i'm going to sign up for the next cycle of swim classes that start in january if they aren't full yet. 

Hey Kim, I just realized you're in  northern VA...Kristen and I are both near Richmond--we need to do some stuff together when it's a less hectic season.  Meet up for a ride or something.  I met a few BTer's at my last race this summer and it was a great time.  I've been trying to hook up with wurkit_gurl for a while too cause she's up your way
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Brian and the Tri Tarts Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 23