BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jesswah's group - FULL of sexy triathletes! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2008-02-28 10:11 AM
in reply to: #1239584

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
Subject: RE: jesswah's group - FULL of sexy triathletes!
naners - 2008-02-27 3:34 PM

60...heaven?  I'll stick with my current weather  

I guess it is all relative. I really enjoy the seasons but it has been incredibly snowy this year. I really enjoy spring time and love to train outdoors. 60 to 70 degrees is perfect training weather for me. I do not enjoy heat and humidity all that much. So, I sit here looking at the window at all the snow with the wind blowing and it being all of 17 degrees thinking about how fun my treadmill run will be later today. Come on Spring!

2008-02-28 5:57 PM
in reply to: #1241082

User image

Expert
Hawaii
gatjr33 - 2008-02-28 5:11 AM
naners - 2008-02-27 3:34 PM 60...heaven? I'll stick with my current weather

I guess it is all relative. I really enjoy the seasons but it has been incredibly snowy this year. I really enjoy spring time and love to train outdoors. 60 to 70 degrees is perfect training weather for me. I do not enjoy heat and humidity all that much. So, I sit here looking at the window at all the snow with the wind blowing and it being all of 17 degrees thinking about how fun my treadmill run will be later today. Come on Spring!

Point well taken.

As a side note, when I read the "doing it" comment, I was amused.  Even though, I've heard that it benefits females more than men.  But, that's just hearsay...so, ummm...carry on?

2008-02-28 5:59 PM
in reply to: #1239972

User image

Expert
Hawaii

gator22 - 2008-02-27 1:19 PM 6/29......Coming fast. I just listed "doin it" as a pre race activity in TRIOK's mentor group and they just glossed over it. Man, they are freiken serious!!!!

Nice.  Happy training!  So, when's everyone's A race?  My A race is on 7/20.  Training officially starts on Monday.

2008-02-29 9:01 AM
in reply to: #1242525

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
naners - 2008-02-28 5:59 PM

gator22 - 2008-02-27 1:19 PM 6/29......Coming fast. I just listed "doin it" as a pre race activity in TRIOK's mentor group and they just glossed over it. Man, they are freiken serious!!!!

Nice.  Happy training!  So, when's everyone's A race?  My A race is on 7/20.  Training officially starts on Monday.

Quite funny. My "A" race is also on July 20th, IMUSA. Everything else is either in preparation for this race or for fun. I got refocused and started training on January 2nd after enjoying the holidays way too much. I loosely follow the competitive training plan layed out in "BeIronFit". I say loosely because I tend to modify each week a bit depending on how I feel, where I think my training is and what I have time to do. I will be finishing my base training period at the end of this week and will enter the 10 week build phase. This tends to be when the weather plays an important factor. 2 plus hours on the treadmill or 4 plus hours on the trainer is not my idea of fun. I will need to get outdoors consistently very soon. Wow, while typing this, I checked to see how far away my "A" race actually is, and, gulp, it is in only 141 days.

2008-02-29 10:52 AM
in reply to: #1242525

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
naners - 2008-02-28 3:59 PM

So, when's everyone's A race? My A race is on 7/20. Training officially starts on Monday.

Mine is an Olympic  distance scheduled for 4/6 - only 5 weeks away... I hope that it will not be a DNS for me... Nothing else on the horizon at this point.

2008-02-29 1:05 PM
in reply to: #1243789

User image

Expert
Hawaii
Ronen - 2008-02-29 5:52 AM
naners - 2008-02-28 3:59 PM

So, when's everyone's A race? My A race is on 7/20. Training officially starts on Monday.

Mine is an Olympic distance scheduled for 4/6 - only 5 weeks away... I hope that it will not be a DNS for me... Nothing else on the horizon at this point.

Hope things get better for you, Ronen!

So, here's what I got (so far) for people's A-races...what about everyone else?

Ronen 6-Apr
gator22 29-Jun
gatjr33 20-Jul
naners 20-Jul

Edited by naners 2008-02-29 1:06 PM

2008-02-29 5:27 PM
in reply to: #1090400

User image

Veteran
Middle Tennessee
I guess I would have to say I've already had my "A" race.  I haven't scheduled anything else and can't think of anything I may do that will top the 1/2 mary.  I will do several metric centuries, try for a full century, maybe another 1/2 mary or 2 and try my hand at sprint tri later in the summer.
2008-02-29 8:35 PM
in reply to: #1244971

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)

Hi everyone!  I've been pretty absent lately, but I check in from time to time.  I really appreciate the inspires you are sending.  I need to recicprocate.

As far as A races, mine is June 29; my first Oly.  I'm kind of nervous about the run.  My leg is still sore (shin splints that want to be stress fractures) and I'm not running much at all.  6.2 run is looking pretty daunting right about now. 

Other than that, training is going pretty well.  A couple colds have interfered, but I guess that's normal.  Darn germy kids at school.  I'm really looking forward to spring. 

Pattie

2008-03-03 2:20 PM

User image

Expert
Hawaii

Okay, here's an updated list:

Ronen:           April 6
Gator22:        June 29
Rowdypaint:  June 29
gatjr33:         July 20
naners:         July 20 
pole_dancer:   already rocked her A race

Edited by naners 2008-03-03 2:22 PM
2008-03-03 2:29 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

My weekly goals report (are we still in for the challenge?):

Swim: 4,000 yards; Actual: 7,825 yards (registered);

Bike: 0; Actual: 0

Run: 0; Actual: 0

Goals for this week:

Swim: 6,000 yards; Bike: 0; Run: 0;

2008-03-03 2:44 PM
in reply to: #1249549

User image

Expert
Hawaii
Ronen - 2008-03-03 9:29 AM

My weekly goals report (are we still in for the challenge?):

Swim: 4,000 yards; Actual: 7,825 yards (registered);

Bike: 0; Actual: 0

Run: 0; Actual: 0

Goals for this week:

Swim: 6,000 yards; Bike: 0; Run: 0

I forgot about that!  Are we still doing it?  What was the loosing penalty?  I didn't have any goals last week, but this is what they look like this week:

Swimming: 8300 yards
Running: 3 hrs. 50 mins.
Biking: 5 hrs. 15 mins.

2008-03-03 3:06 PM
in reply to: #1249549

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
I set some challenging goals for the month of February and came up a bit short. You can see the details in my logs. However, I considered February to be a very positive training month. I am elevating my goals for the month of March. Here they are.

Swim: 27,500 yards
Bike: 500 miles
Run: 125 miles
Weights/Core: 2X/week
2008-03-03 3:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Middle Tennessee
That's an awful big goal.  Good luck to ya.
2008-03-03 8:37 PM
in reply to: #1249738

User image

Expert
My goal is just to complete the workouts in my plan each week. This week is a "recovery" week, but since I have been slacking so much, I want to push a little.  I am glad that I am doing a longer program for my HIM. I know now that I will never have the time to train for a race longer than this and I will likely switch back to shorter distances when I am done. I want to have fun doing tris, but I also just want to lose some weight and focus on being healthy.  I am getting a little stressed with all the details of such a big race.  So, it might just be a "life list" thing, but we shall see.....
2008-03-04 9:28 AM
in reply to: #1250353

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
gator22 - 2008-03-03 8:37 PM

My goal is just to complete the workouts in my plan each week. This week is a "recovery" week, but since I have been slacking so much, I want to push a little.  I am glad that I am doing a longer program for my HIM. I know now that I will never have the time to train for a race longer than this and I will likely switch back to shorter distances when I am done. I want to have fun doing tris, but I also just want to lose some weight and focus on being healthy.  I am getting a little stressed with all the details of such a big race.  So, it might just be a "life list" thing, but we shall see.....

Gator22, I hear you loud and clear. This might be a one and done thing for you or it might not be. I find that a couple of things can happen. One, you start to shuffle your life around being more healthy (not always of course) and training/exercising. Two, this tri stuff can be very addicting. I think I shared the story of my first tri earlier in this group thread. However, I was also thinking that I would do a couple of HIM's and one IM and "get it out of my system". I certainly understand and appreciate how hard it is to balance life's issues. However, I am most happy when I am training and focusing on a race or a challenge. It is truly all about wanting to be healthy and fit. If training for tri's and races in general helps me stay happy, healthy and fit, then I am okay with this addiction. As an aside, it has become a part of my family's yearly plans. We plan around certain races just as we plan other family events.

I really try to focus on balance in life, because my family is so supportive. I want to make sure that I am not focusing so much on training and racing that I neglect my family or job. Having said this, I, at a very weak moment, told my family the night after finishing IMUSA last year that I was going to take a year off and just do some smaller races. I really meant what I said. I had done the race three years in a row and thought it would be good to take a year off. I then went to sleep. The next morning my kids and wife woke me up and stated that we had better hurry up to get in line to sign up for next year. I again shared my thoughts of wanting to take the year off. My kids laughed and thought I was joking. Here my family is being totally supportive and I am the one saying, no, no, maybe next year. I gave it two seconds of thought and jumped up and hustled over to sign up. I realized that this had become part of our lives. Part of the reason I choose to live this lifestyle is to stay healthy and challenge myself, mentally and physically. The other part is to set an example. It was at this moment that I realized it was working.

So, a couple of thoughts. It might be something that you do once and walk away, or you could find yourself addicted to the sport. It would not be the first time this happened. Give it time and enjoy the journey. You do not need to make any decisions at this point other than to train for Tupper. Also, do not make any decisions immediately following Tupper (don't ask me how I know) about what to do down the road. Prepare for the race, go and enjoy the race and then re-evaluate the situation.

2008-03-04 9:31 AM
in reply to: #1249738

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
pole_dancer - 2008-03-03 3:44 PM

That's an awful big goal.  Good luck to ya.

Thanks. I tend to overextend from time to time, but it is truly because I would like to know what I am capable of without breaking anything. I think that we often do not realize what our bodies can do if we truly challenge them. We shall see how March turns out.

2008-03-04 1:03 PM
in reply to: #1251033

User image

Expert
Hawaii

I, at a very weak moment, told my family the night after finishing IMUSA last year that I was going to take a year off and just do some smaller races. I really meant what I said. I had done the race three years in a row and thought it would be good to take a year off. I then went to sleep. The next morning my kids and wife woke me up and stated that we had better hurry up to get in line to sign up for next year. I again shared my thoughts of wanting to take the year off. My kids laughed and thought I was joking. Here my family is being totally supportive and I am the one saying, no, no, maybe next year. I gave it two seconds of thought and jumped up and hustled over to sign up. I realized that this had become part of our lives. Part of the reason I choose to live this lifestyle is to stay healthy and challenge myself, mentally and physically. The other part is to set an example. It was at this moment that I realized it was working.

Priceless!  When I have a family, I would love for something like that to happen.  Maybe not with an Ironman, but what an example to set for your kids. 

2008-03-04 4:11 PM
in reply to: #1251033

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

gatjr33 - 2008-03-04 7:28 AM  

I really try to focus on balance in life, because my family is so supportive. I want to make sure that I am not focusing so much on training and racing that I neglect my family or job. Having said this, I, at a very weak moment, told my family the night after finishing IMUSA last year that I was going to take a year off and just do some smaller races. I really meant what I said. I had done the race three years in a row and thought it would be good to take a year off. I then went to sleep. The next morning my kids and wife woke me up and stated that we had better hurry up to get in line to sign up for next year. I again shared my thoughts of wanting to take the year off. My kids laughed and thought I was joking. Here my family is being totally supportive and I am the one saying, no, no, maybe next year. I gave it two seconds of thought and jumped up and hustled over to sign up. I realized that this had become part of our lives. Part of the reason I choose to live this lifestyle is to stay healthy and challenge myself, mentally and physically. The other part is to set an example. 

George,

You succeeded where many other tried, are trying and will try - finding the right balance in life. If you get your family to be that supportive - you've done a great job so far.

One of the reasons I am into this sport is: setting example. I come from a family that was never active. Both my parents were working full time and never practiced any recreational sport nor pushed my sister and I to take active part in any. This is how I grew up. Then, as a young adult, I was never active and looked at the ones that did - as people without anything else to do... (which is very wrong - as we all know).  The point that I am trying to make is that I feel, that if I was coming from a more active sports aware  home, I might have been thinking differently... This is why we (my wife and I) are trying to expose our kids to all possible sports out there that they are interested trying, this is why we are taking (the older ones) to the gym with us when we can, and this is why I take my older son with me to the club races and duathlons (as an official club member). I hope that this way, something will stick and all my kids will develop a better attitude towards recreational sports as a healthy way of living while having fun. I am not sure how successful I will be - only time will tell, but at least I know that I am trying...

So, back to what you wrote, I wish the same for myself a few years down the road... 

2008-03-05 9:05 AM
in reply to: #1252375

Extreme Veteran
Vermont

Ronen,

There are definitely some similarities in our lives. The only difference is that I was always active, whereas my family was not. You cannot succeed, if you do not try. You are already making progress that you might not realize. The moment that I discussed previously was a very defining moment in my life. There are not many times in life when you can take a step back, smile on the inside (or on the outside for that matter) and emphatically state....I am making a difference. That is how I felt that day. Yup, I was standing in the mile long line, licking my wounds from the prior days events, wishing it was cooler and that I had something, anything to drink, listening to stories around me and sharing some of my own, feeling a bit lightheaded and not very good, hearing people asking themselves and others...why are we here? All I did was smile, because I knew why I was there. I was making a difference in lives around me. I hobbled my way to the front of the line and signed up for this year. It only took me a few days to realize how happy I was that I signed up again. Now it is my focus, my anchor and an event that I look forward to heading to yet again with my family. This time, I only hope to do it a little better.

Edited by gatjr33 2008-03-05 9:12 AM
2008-03-05 10:28 AM
in reply to: #1253605

User image

Expert
I agree with all that. I dragged my kids through a really ugly divorce a few years ago. My ex would never have gone for all these "silly little races". Now they (and my fiance who is the best) love all the hoopla and are getting involved too.  I was a serious athlete at one time. I was a captain on a Divison 3 soccer team in college and had a chance to try out for a pro team. However, injuries have made that guy a distant memory. I am just happy to be out there and have other people say (and they have), "If that fat guy can do it with a smile on his face, then I can too"....and it is a great example for the kids that they don't have to be miserable all the time like their mother is.
2008-03-07 1:40 PM
in reply to: #1253791

User image

Expert
Gonna bump us to the first page....I have retirement party #1 of four to go to tonight....Will try to keep myself in check to chase the boys this weekend. My training will consist of climbing a 14 ft iceberg in the COmmunity Pool and of course Wii boxing!!

2008-03-07 2:50 PM
in reply to: #1259126

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
gator22 - 2008-03-07 1:40 PM

Gonna bump us to the first page....I have retirement party #1 of four to go to tonight....Will try to keep myself in check to chase the boys this weekend. My training will consist of climbing a 14 ft iceberg in the COmmunity Pool and of course Wii boxing!!

Hey, what more can a guy ask for? A little retirement party on Friday night where you get to roast a coworker and chasing the boys is on tap for the weekend. The Wii boxing is just a bonus. Well, at least you got your workout in today. Looks like you put a solid week in. Relax and enjoy.
2008-03-10 11:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Middle Tennessee
I need some advice.  There is a 1/2 marathon this weekend.  I don't know if the running I've done since the one I completed a month ago has me ready to do another.  After the last 1/2 mary I've had a recover week, running 9 miles total, and 2 maintenance weeks running 12.15 and 8 miles.  In normal training, this would be a taper week.  In a normal training plan, how would you plan for 2 1/2 mary's in 30 days?  Can I still consider this run?  Should I taper this week?  I planned on at least one longer run this weekend, probably 10 miles, but a stomach bug sidelined me.  I could probably get 10 miles in tonight.
2008-03-10 2:16 PM
in reply to: #1263045

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
pole_dancer - 2008-03-10 11:48 AM

I need some advice.  There is a 1/2 marathon this weekend.  I don't know if the running I've done since the one I completed a month ago has me ready to do another.  After the last 1/2 mary I've had a recover week, running 9 miles total, and 2 maintenance weeks running 12.15 and 8 miles.  In normal training, this would be a taper week.  In a normal training plan, how would you plan for 2 1/2 mary's in 30 days?  Can I still consider this run?  Should I taper this week?  I planned on at least one longer run this weekend, probably 10 miles, but a stomach bug sidelined me.  I could probably get 10 miles in tonight.

I think that you would be fine to race this upcoming weekend. I seem to recall that the last race that you did was mid February, so you are less than a month removed from that race. You took a week to recover, but did not totally take the week off, and you have had a couple weeks of maintenance. I think ideally you might have wanted to have a few more miles in the maintenance weeks if you knew that you were racing this upcoming weekend. I say go for it. Having done 10 this past weekend would have been nice, but I do not think that you need to squeeze in a 10 mile run just to race this weekend. If I were running this race, I would probably do something like....run 5 miles at a moderate pace today, then say 8 miles or so on Wednesday (not all out), followed by a 3 to 4 mile (easier) run on Thursday or Friday. You did not mention when the race was. If it is on Sunday, I would take the last run on Friday. I would also utilize the off days to stretch or to spin lightly to get the blood moving. In any event, I say race.
2008-03-10 2:38 PM
in reply to: #1263466

User image

Veteran
Middle Tennessee

gatjr33 - 2008-03-10 2:16 PM You did not mention when the race was.

The race is on Saturday.

I was hoping it would be ok, I just wasn't sure how to tackle this final week.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jesswah's group - FULL of sexy triathletes! Rss Feed  

of 18