BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jesswah's group - FULL of sexy triathletes! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2008-03-10 2:46 PM
in reply to: #1263549

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
Subject: RE: jesswah's group - FULL of sexy triathletes!
pole_dancer - 2008-03-10 2:38 PM

gatjr33 - 2008-03-10 2:16 PM You did not mention when the race was.

The race is on Saturday.

I was hoping it would be ok, I just wasn't sure how to tackle this final week.

In general, I would say attack it. Back in February, you were very concerned about your upcoming race and now you are inquiring about doing another one shortly thereafter. Good for you!! See how fun and addicting this race/training stuff can be. Best of luck.

2008-03-11 2:20 PM
in reply to: #1263549

User image

Expert
Hawaii
pole_dancer - 2008-03-10 9:38 AM

gatjr33 - 2008-03-10 2:16 PM You did not mention when the race was.

The race is on Saturday.

I was hoping it would be ok, I just wasn't sure how to tackle this final week.

Seeing as how my technical knowledge is zilch, I'm just going to say, "Have fun ."

2008-03-12 8:07 PM
in reply to: #1265680

User image

Expert
Rock that race...Hey Jess ran 34 miles the other day. I would love to hear the nutrition plan for that....
2008-03-13 11:44 AM
in reply to: #1090400

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

Hi everyone!

I've got a question on transitions. I found myself spending quite a bit of time in T1. It seems to me that getting the wetsuit off, wearing socks, putting the cycling shoes, wearing a shirt, helmet, sunglasses takes more than what it should. I know that people organize their equipment next to the bike such that it would be quicker to access.

Also, there is the effect of mental pressure that I can always sense. In the urge to do things quickly, I tend to forget stuff (e.g, sunglasses) and in one case, I decided not to put on my cycling shoes as I thought that it would take me forever to complete this task...

My question is what are your tips for T1 and T2? Also, whether you train for them and if so, how?

Edited by Ronen 2008-03-13 11:46 AM
2008-03-13 11:53 AM
in reply to: #1269735

User image

Expert
For me it depends on the length of the race. In a sprint, I won't wear socks at all, but I will in a longer race because of blisters. If I wasn't such a fatty, I would not wear a shirt when I run either because I get the dreaded nipple-iptus.....Really take as much time as you need. I don't think you are competing to win just yet and it is more important to make sure that you have everything you need with you so that you are comfortable....MY $.02
2008-03-13 1:35 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)

Absolutely practice your transitions!!!  Your neighbors might think you're a little strange, but what the heck.  Our duathlon class instructor at the gym has made us do T1 and T2 practices nearly every week since mid Jan.  We all look pretty special wearing our helmets on the spin bikes. 

I also tend to have too much stuff for tris.  I'm a real princess about my feet and have to wash them before putting on socks.  No way around it; can't go sockless or with dirty toes.  I put my helmet on my aerobars with my sunglasses in the helmet.  I have my running shoes on a towel with my hat and number belt on top. 

Really, you need to practice.  It helps.  And video it so you can put it on Youtube.  Your neighbors are going to love the show. 

Pattie

2008-03-13 2:03 PM

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
My question is what are your tips for T1 and T2? Also, whether you train for them and if so, how?

Ronen,

Great question. You are not the only person that has ever felt that they are taking a ton of time in the transition area. I will state right up front that I have never, ever practiced a transition, T1 or T2. I have on many occasions though laid my stuff out and visualized the transitions. So this is more of a mental exercise for me versus a physical one. Having stated that, a lot of this comes down to trial and error. Wetsuits do not come off all that easily. However, I have found that if you start taking it off as soon as you walk out of the water, you are in good shape by the time you get to T1. I would suggest using body glide, PAM or some other spray to aide in the removal of your wetsuit. This will help your suit slide off easily. One thing to think about here...use caution when pulling off the legs. Make sure not to pull off your timing chip along with the suit (don't ask me how I know?). I'd like to think that I have a system, but I keep trying to tweak it because I am realatively new to tri's. I place my helmet, shades, race belt and gloves on my aerobars. My shoes are on the ground with my socks inside my shoes. I roll my socks up to the toe. I know this sounds odd, but have you ever tried to quickly pull on a pair of socks with wet feet. If you do it right, you can roll on the socks with no issues. The big issues for me in T1 are, (1) get off the suit quickly, (2) work with purpose but do not rush as you will forget something, and (3) at all costs remember your helmet. You can forget your glasses, your gels, your gloves and still race. You forget your helmet and you will be DQ'd.

To me T2 is simple. Shoes off, helmet off (hey I have seen runners take off with their helmets on), running shoes on (use yanxs or something quick for your laces), running hat on, grab nutrition and gone.

For me, I do not change much whether running a sprint or an IM. I would not use a wetsuit for a sprint and certainly my nutrition changes but mostly everything else stays the same.

Hope this helps.

Edited by gatjr33 2008-03-13 2:05 PM
2008-03-13 3:08 PM

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
Also, after reading the other posts from Rowdypants and Gator22, I had a couple other thoughts. They make good points, but what we collectively point out is that transitions are all about what works for YOU. Some folks never wear socks, I have to. Some will run without shirts, but I would rather have on some quality tri clothing (the truth is that I do not want to see my gut bouncing up and down). You run with or without a shirt, you had better figure in some sunscreen, at least for the longer races. Some people will switch clothing going from the swim to the bike to the run, others like myself, stay in the same outfit. The more tri's that you do the more you will experience. For example, I was doing my first IM and I was starting the second lap of the bike. I am drinking the bulk of my nutrition and things are starting to not feel so great. All of a sudden this guys rides by me eating a slice of pepperoni pizza. I swear I almost tracked him down because pizza never looked more appetizing to me than right at that moment. My point is that everyone has a different approach. You need to try different things and see what works best for you. I have a friend that does a dry run after every bike ride. Off the bike, quick change, run to the end of the block and done. He is a firm believer in practicing.
2008-03-17 9:50 AM
in reply to: #1270463

User image

Expert
Hey all. Happy St. Patrick's day to everyone.  Keep your fingers crossed for me, I have an interview to go to our "Major Crimes" (Homicide) unit today. I would finally get to work during the day after 13 years on nights. I also would score a take home car...gas is $3.50 here now.....
2008-03-17 11:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Middle Tennessee

Sending four leaf shammrocks your way. 

A take home car is cool, a vehicle allowance is better.

2008-03-17 3:05 PM
in reply to: #1275977

User image

Expert
pole_dancer - 2008-03-17 11:30 AM

Sending four leaf shammrocks your way. 

A take home car is cool, a vehicle allowance is better.

Then we would have a bunch of cops driving Corvettes and Mustangs.......

2008-03-19 12:00 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

Thanks for the tips on transitions. You guys brought some good points and I really need to keep them in mind. True, I am far from being a podium finisher, and most likely will never be, and saving a few seconds will not make it or break it for me. It is just that I feel that being efficient during transitions can save even a few minutes and not only seconds. I read quite a bit on other's experience and noticed that some people, after adequate training managed to shave 2 to 3 minutes of their total transition time - I think that this is a lot even for the amateur triathlete. Sometimes, simple tips can save time and this is what I was interested hearing about. I will never forget the tips about balloons helping finding your spot, and the colored mat as well. These little things we exchange do help - and I am always eager to learn more.

The transition area in the last race I participated was on dirt covered with leafs and gravel. After coming wet out of the water, some leafs stuck with my feet and had quite a hard time getting rid of them. I ended up cycling and running with a small gravel stone stuck between my toes, which caused quite a bit of pain throughout the run. I then learned that others had on their mat a gallon of tap water to rinse their feet before going on the bike. So, from that point on, I have added this to my pre-race checklist...

2008-03-19 8:50 AM
in reply to: #1279728

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
Ronen,

I am sure that there are many, many tips out there that we could all learn from. Just walking around a transition area pre-race often gives me several thoughts and ideas that I try to file away for another day. There are so many tricks to the trade. For me, it really does not matter if I am saving seconds or minutes in my transition areas. I just want to be accepting of new ideas that might help me become more efficient. I am a details guy, so for me all of the little things are important. It all adds up in the end. Maybe I am only saving 1.5 minutes in T1 and 45 seconds in T2. Maybe I am saving another minute or so getting my wetsuit off more quickly and several minutes having aerobars and staying down on them. Maybe I am saving a few more minutes by training in and wearing lighter running shoes, and maybe proper nutrition allows me to shave a couple more minutes. In short, some of the tricks that I have learned or knowledge that I have gained along the way most certainly saves me time. I hope to continue learning new things that might save me further time. I too might never see a podium, but it does not mean that I want to race to the best of my potential. I look at it this way. Upon finishing a race, if I am 2 minutes under my goal, then all of the little things likely paid off. I would prefer this versus coming in 45 seconds above my goal time and thinking...if I only would have???
2008-03-20 7:56 AM
in reply to: #1280064

User image

Expert

Is anybody else like perpetually sick? I feel like I cannot shake it. It is not so bad that I have to be in bed, but when I train (especially run) I fee like death is a comin!! I have to run 8 miles in a minute and I am dreading it......

Does anyone here do Crossfit?? Check out crossfit.com  it is awesome looking and those people have my utmost respect!

2008-03-20 11:35 AM
in reply to: #1282371

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
gator22 - 2008-03-20 7:56 AM

Is anybody else like perpetually sick? I feel like I cannot shake it. It is not so bad that I have to be in bed, but when I train (especially run) I fee like death is a comin!! I have to run 8 miles in a minute and I am dreading it......

Does anyone here do Crossfit?? Check out crossfit.com  it is awesome looking and those people have my utmost respect!

If I had to run eight miles in a minute, I would feel like I was going to die as well. Fatigue often makes folks more susceptible to illness. Probably just got some nasty little bug that is causing you problems and will take a while to go away, especially with limited sleep and training. Embrace your 8 mile run!!
2008-03-21 11:05 AM
in reply to: #1282371

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)

G- the cold/flu/crud that's been going around this year is a biaotch.  I was sick for about 3 weeks and I hardly ever get sick.  Nasty stuff.  Running when you're sick just sucks.  Hope you are feeling better soon.

Pattie

2008-03-24 10:48 AM
in reply to: #1285319

User image

Expert
Greetings people. I hope everyone had a good holiday.  I need to really get my azz in gear up here!!  Also, I expect that all of you will be glued to your TVs tomorrow A.M. at 0600 Eastern time when Dice-K throws the first pitch of the defense of the Boston Red Sox world title!!!! If not, dream about me because I will be on the trainer, yelling my butt off walking up the neighbors....
2008-03-24 1:37 PM
in reply to: #1289476

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
gator22 - 2008-03-24 10:48 AM

Greetings people. I hope everyone had a good holiday.  I need to really get my azz in gear up here!!  Also, I expect that all of you will be glued to your TVs tomorrow A.M. at 0600 Eastern time when Dice-K throws the first pitch of the defense of the Boston Red Sox world title!!!! If not, dream about me because I will be on the trainer, yelling my butt off walking up the neighbors....

Are you telling me that you are a Giants fan and a Red Sox fan? Something is seriously wrong here if that is the case. AND...thanks for the heads up. I might just have to turn this into a trainer ride as well.
2008-03-24 8:07 PM
in reply to: #1289980

User image

Expert
I am a recntly converted Giants fan.....Mrs. Gator's whole family is nuts about it...The Red Sox and I have a life long relationship.....
2008-03-25 8:48 AM
in reply to: #1290925

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
gator22 - 2008-03-24 8:07 PM

I am a recntly converted Giants fan.....Mrs. Gator's whole family is nuts about it...The Red Sox and I have a life long relationship.....

Okay, so you are not all bad then...AND...the sox won in extra innings!!
2008-03-28 7:25 AM
in reply to: #1291572

User image

Expert

OK.  Confession time. Recently I have been really dragging azz to get my workouts in. I feel tired all the time and have actually been gaining (significant) weight.  I feel like this is more of a stressor than it should be to train for a HIM. So, I called the race director at Tupper Lake (A bit of a See U Next Tuesday) and begged to be put into the "sprint". Now, mind you this will still be the longest race I have ever done (It has a 20 mile bike and 6 mile run). I am a classic example of a guy trying to make the jump to long course before he and his body is ready.  So, I am sprinting and smiling.

2008-03-28 7:44 AM
in reply to: #1299192

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
gator22 - 2008-03-28 7:25 AM

OK.  Confession time. Recently I have been really dragging azz to get my workouts in. I feel tired all the time and have actually been gaining (significant) weight.  I feel like this is more of a stressor than it should be to train for a HIM. So, I called the race director at Tupper Lake (A bit of a See U Next Tuesday) and begged to be put into the "sprint". Now, mind you this will still be the longest race I have ever done (It has a 20 mile bike and 6 mile run). I am a classic example of a guy trying to make the jump to long course before he and his body is ready.  So, I am sprinting and smiling.

G22, no harm done. TL is still a very nice race, as you know, and the sprint usually has quite a few folks in it that are working their way up to the HIM or who really only want to race that distance. Both are acceptable, as far as I am concerned. The sprint at TL is actually more like a Oly based on distance, at least the bike and run distances. I believe the swim is 1/4 mile long so that is more like a sprint. Bottom line, you are not bailing, you are just adjusting based on what you feel is reasonable at this point in time. Keep working hard and hammer the sprint. Then reassess and see where it takes you from there. Take it from someone that usually jumps in WAY over his head, this is probably a better approach.
2008-03-28 9:35 AM
in reply to: #1299192

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
gator22 - 2008-03-28 5:25 AM

OK. Confession time. Recently I have been really dragging azz to get my workouts in. I feel tired all the time and have actually been gaining (significant) weight. I feel like this is more of a stressor than it should be to train for a HIM. So, I called the race director at Tupper Lake (A bit of a See U Next Tuesday) and begged to be put into the "sprint". Now, mind you this will still be the longest race I have ever done (It has a 20 mile bike and 6 mile run). I am a classic example of a guy trying to make the jump to long course before he and his body is ready. So, I am sprinting and smiling.

Hi gator22,

I think you did the right thing! we are all setting goals to ourselves all the time. Some of those goals could be a stretch, but we are still trying to push ourselves - that's all fine. At times, when realizing that a goal, which 2-3 months ago seemed like - hey, why not? - may look way different as the deadline approaches. I think that you did the right thing by adjusting your goal to your current ability to race - and there is nothing wrong with this. I think that you'd feel much worst should you attempted to race the HIM and had to bail out half way into it...

Keep doing your best, focus on achievable goals and don't get too stressed about it - after all, you are doing something for yourself, by yourself - and the fact that you are sptinting and smiling is already a change in the right direction!

Good luck and keep smiling!

2008-03-29 11:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Middle Tennessee

I really need a vioce of reason.  Again, I found a race that I really want to do at the last minute.  I don't know why I don't plan better than I do. 

I registered for a duathlon today, but while looking at trifind.com, I found a sprint tri I really want to do.  It is in Gatlinburg, TN and my mother lives within 15 miles of the event.  The only problem is it is next Saturday.  I haven't specifically trained for a tri this early, but I think I have trained enough to do it.  It is going to take a lot wrangling to get everything together for this.  I have to take some time off work.  I have to be registered by Monday which will take help from my mother.  I have to figure out how to set up for a tri in just a few days.

Am I crazy, or is this kind of crazy a good thing and I should just jump in?

Edited by pole_dancer 2008-03-29 9:43 PM
2008-03-31 10:27 AM
in reply to: #1301404

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
pole_dancer - 2008-03-29 11:39 AM

I really need a vioce of reason.  Again, I found a race that I really want to do at the last minute.  I don't know why I don't plan better than I do. 

I registered for a duathlon today, but while looking at trifind.com, I found a sprint tri I really want to do.  It is in Gatlinburg, TN and my mother lives within 15 miles of the event.  The only problem is it is next Saturday.  I haven't specifically trained for a tri this early, but I think I have trained enough to do it.  It is going to take a lot wrangling to get everything together for this.  I have to take some time off work.  I have to be registered by Monday which will take help from my mother.  I have to figure out how to set up for a tri in just a few days.

Am I crazy, or is this kind of crazy a good thing and I should just jump in?

Okay, you are going to need a real voice of reason, but I will offer up my two cents.  Just do it!!!  If you think you are ready, and there is only one way to truly find out, I say figure out the logistics and just do it.  I tend to fly by the seat of my pants.  The way I see it is that you have a race opportunity and you just need to figure out the details.   

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jesswah's group - FULL of sexy triathletes! Rss Feed  

of 18