General Discussion Triathlon Talk » calves burn vs shin pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-12-08 8:21 PM

Subject: calves burn vs shin pain
A lot of my friends who run complain of pain in the shins(shin splints) and they seem to have to take a lot of time off. My problem was never pain in the shins but my calves would hurt, more like burn. I could run almost every day though, while those with the shin pain could not. They though have running shoes, I just wear basketball shoes. Well I invested in New Balance running shoes, my 1st time out with the new running shoes, I feel pain in the shins. I am like wow, this is how they feel. I started thinking about it and decide that my basketball shoes are basically flat and now with the running shoes, my heel is elevated so i must be running differently. Decided to take back the running shoes and purchase new basketball shoes to run in. What do you think, make sense?

2007-12-08 10:06 PM
in reply to: #1090422

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: calves burn vs shin pain
Probably trying to run too far or too hard in new shoes, need to break shoes in. Or bad form could be causing extra strain on their shins.
2007-12-09 3:03 AM
in reply to: #1090422

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: calves burn vs shin pain
I don't think its a good idea to run in basketball shoes for long distance training.

go to a good running store that will look at your stride and recommend the right type of running shoe...if it's all in the shoe, you ought to be able to find a runing shoe that works for you.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » calves burn vs shin pain Rss Feed