Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-12-08 8:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Hamilton,MI
Subject: Kdogtoo's group - full
NAME: Kdogtoo -- Ken
STORY: I started running again a couple of years ago after a 25ish year break. A 5k in the spring and by the 4th of July I was doing my first sprint. I bought a "real" tri bike about this time last year and committed to a HIM shortly thereafter. Now I'm hooked.
FAMILY STATUS: Happily married for 20+ years to my best friend. 
                       One teenage daughter.(who happens to be a State ranked swimmer)
CURRENT TRAINING:  Winter training in Mi for me means indoors for the most part.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: 4 tris with the Steelhead being the main one.(5:32)
2008 RACES: "A" race for 2008 will be the Steelhead HIM(goal is sub 5 hr.) in Aug. Will also be doing the Disney tri in Sept as well as some shorter races and runs as they fit into my life and training schedule.

WEIGHT LOSS: I've lost some weight by default, but that is not my main goal.
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: Well, I tend to be on this sight most every day, and I like interacting with others involved in this silly obsession I mean sport. I've learned a lot about balancing family, work and triing and am looking forward to sharing my experiences.

Edited by kdogtoo 2007-12-27 11:56 AM

2007-12-19 9:44 AM
in reply to: #1090425

User image

Expert
Berkley, MI
Subject: RE: Kdogtoo's group - open
Well Ken, I would like to join your group! I too am in MI so you can provide me plenty of motivation through snow and cold! Brrrrrr.

As for me:

I am Jenniferlyn Warstler, 29 years old. I have a boyfriend and two cats.

I have been a runner since 2002, completing 3 marathons, 11 half marathons and literally undreds of 5 to 25k races. 2008 will mark my first year in triathlon. My first indoor tri will be the Farmington YMCA Indoor tri, and my first outdoor tri will be either Big Fish or Motor City sprint. in June '08. I am hoping to do Steelhead Half IM in August of 2009 or 10 depending on my fitness and love for triathlon.

I have recently taken up swimming, and am a member of the F.A.S.T. Tri Club out of Northville/Dearborn, MI. As a member of FAST - I am the USA Triathlon National Competition Challenge liason for the 2007/08 challenge. We are currently #1 in swimming with over 750 miles swam since 12/1/07! I also swim with a few master's groups (Oakland Masters and Milford Masters) as well as with my tri club weekly. I am focussing on swimming because I need a lot more work in this area vs. running or biking!

Come January I will be swimming and biking like a fool, then in January I will add running to the mix.

Bring it on!

2007-12-19 10:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Hamilton,MI

Welcome,

Looks like you are well on your way. With that kind of running and swim base you may be ready for the Steelhead this fall.

Ken

2007-12-19 11:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
W. Michigan

Got room for another Westsider? 

Name:  Jeff

Location: I live in the Southside of Holland, MI, but spend a fair amount of time all over the rest of Michigan (parents near midland, in-laws in kzoo, friends all over Detroit, etc)

Family Status:  My wife actually is the one who's gotten me interested in doing tri's.  She's done sprints all over W. Michigan.  She's my main training partner.

07 race:  My first sprint was the Sanford & Sun Sprint up on Sanford Lake in August.  I finished in 1:30 and some change, but was disappointed that I still had gas left in the tank.  Oh well, now I know. 

08 races: Definitely the Sanford race again (my parents live 5 min from the course), possibly Grand Haven, Seahorse, Vicksburg, etc.  Probably some 5/10K's thrown in there too.

Goals:  First & foremost is to recover from my Hockey injury a couple weeks ago.  I have a 2nd degree sprain of the inside of my right ankle.  It sucks.  My house isn't very convenient for crutching or hobbling.  Driving is a pain when your right ankle's tender. 

Once the ankle is back up to speed, I need to spend more time in the pool working on my swim.  That's definitely my weak link right now. 

In the last year I've gotten hooked on the whole tri thing.  There's enough variety that I don't get bored doing any one thing.  My wife & I have a lot of fun training & racing together.  Also, my performance in the other sports I play (softball & hockey (pre-injury)) have really taken off. 

2007-12-19 12:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Hamilton,MI

Welcome,

I live in Hamilton, so you can't be to far away. I was starting to wonder if there were any other BTers over here.

Ken

2007-12-25 10:28 PM

Hello,
M name is Peter Melle. I am 20 years old and I am a sophomore Nursing major at Wilkes University in Northeast Pennsylvania. I completely new to the sport , but not to exercise. I run and bike almost every day at school. I'm not a huge swimmer, but I can hold my own in a pool and I am a quick learner. In high school I was a varsity wrestler for three years and team captain. I also ran cross country and track and field. My best 5-k time was 17:45, but obviously that was only running. I've run in a dozen or so 5-k races on my own locally, but never anything as large as this. I am a very hard worker and I am not easily discouraged. I enjoy pushing myself to the limits and further. Since the beginning of school I have been looking more into the sport becoming all the more interested. I have decided to run the Philadelphia insurance triathlon on June 21st of the new year. I am torn whether I should try the sprint or the Olympic style. I understand that one is obviously tougher than the other, but I am willing to put in the time. I would love to know if there is still room in your group.

Thank you,

Peter Melle
Wilkes University
[email protected]

2007-12-26 9:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Hamilton,MI

Welcome aboard Peter,

Looks like you have a goal in mind already for this coming year.  I would suggest that take a look at the training plans and that will help you decide which length to go for. Once you decide, download that plan and start using the logs so we can all "keep an eye" on you.

Peace
Ken
2007-12-26 3:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey Ken, mind if I get in on this group?

Name: Jason aka JCow

Family Status: I'm just about to turn 19 years old (6 more days!) so nothing in the works there. With school, work, and triathlon there's no room for girls!

2007 Season: I got started training very very late in the season, somewhere around mid July. I did two races, the first one being a super sprint, and the second was a normal sprint. I also did the Briggs & Al's Run 8k

Race Reports: Lake Geneva Super Sprint, J-Hawk Late Bird Sprint, Brigg's & Al's 10k Run

2008 Season: I haven't set in stone yet, but I'm planning on sticking with the sprints for at least the first half of the season and then adding in the Oly distance. If time and my body permits, there might even be a HIM that I'll consider doing near the end of the season.

Goals: Working on the weight loss part. I've lost the freshman 15 so I think I'm doing quite well! I've slimmed down from 175 to 160 since July. I want to build a nice base and increase my endurance.

Other Stuff: I don't have a specific training plan, but I'm working on creating one by mid January. I've got an awesome family that consists of two physical therapists so injuries and that kind of stuff is well covered. My training can be a bit erratic with the college lifestyle and finding room time to do everything.

Most of all, I'm very optimistic and absolutely love the triathlon lifestyle!
2007-12-26 4:20 PM
in reply to: #1117390

User image

Veteran
Hamilton,MI

Welcome aboard Jason,

I was hoping to get someone from the other side of the lake to warn me when bad weather is coming.  Looks like you have a pretty good winter base so lets go from there.

Ken

2007-12-27 7:34 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Subject: RE: Kdogtoo's group - filling up fast --- 1 or 2 more
Hi Ken,

I'm interesting in joining if you still have room.

Name: Dan

Location: Sendai, Japan (it is due southeast of Michigan....a little south, a lotta east)

Family Status: I'm 49 and happily married for 10 years.

Story: I am a complete newbie. I have run on and off over the years and done some 10Ks, halfs and finally the Honolulu Marathon in 2001. My knees were bothering me enough that I stopped running about two years back. A doctor advised that I needed to strengthen the muscles around the knee and I am finally getting around to that. I have daydreamed about getting into triathlons for quite a few years now, but my working schedule was crazy. This summer things changed on the work front and I had enough time to start exploring swimming and cycling. On the swimming front, I am making slow, steady progress focused on technique (Total Immersion approach). My cycling experience is limited to 20-30K rides this summer and fall. I don't have a tri bike yet and will be looking for advise in the early spring on what to buy.

2008 Goals: Start running again (I have been doing lots of walking) and do a Sprint in late summer. Continue building after that towards a HIM in 2009. I know I need to pick a specific tri and add in some other race goals. I will get around to that in the next few weeks.

Weight Loss: I'm down about 12 pounds already. I know that more will continue to come off as I get back into running and add more distance to my swimming and cycling. If I knock off 10 more pounds I will be at 132 and will have finally gotten rid of my freshman 15.

Note: My youngest brother lives in Michigan and I did go to school and work in Chicagoland (on the shores of Lake Michigan) for about 10 years before I started working in Asia.

Dan

2007-12-27 8:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Hamilton,MI
Subject: RE: Kdogtoo's group - filling up fast --- 1 or 2 more

Hey Dan

Looks like you'll be on a slightly different training schedule then the rest of us.  Welcome aboard.

2007-12-27 11:03 AM

User image

Expert
Lake in the Hills
Subject: RE: Kdogtoo's group - filling up fast -- looking for 1 more.

Hey do you have space for one more?

I won't take up that much time....

Edited by AddysDaddy 2007-12-27 11:10 AM
2007-12-27 11:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Hamilton,MI
Subject: RE: Kdogtoo's group - filling up fast -- looking for 1 more.

I'm sure we can squeeze you in.

Peace
Ken
2007-12-27 12:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Hamilton,MI
Subject: RE: Kdogtoo's group - full

Ok folks,

Looks like we have a good mix in our group.  I have put links to each of you logs as well as to this thread in my "goals" section.  Let's see where this goes.

Train ON

2007-12-27 12:12 PM

User image

Expert
Lake in the Hills

Thanks!

This will be my first season of Triathlons.  I got into the sport as a challenge from a long time school buddy.

My goal in 2008 is to lose 25 pounds to my fighting weight of 200lbs.  This is where I need the most motivation.

I have been training pretty consistently since summer.  But now I am without a pool and I just got a trainer for my Bike (Woohooo, though they are rollers and scaring the hell out of me)

I only have two races scheduled this year so far.

I would like to work up to a Maarthon by the end of teh summer.

Anyway I need to go out and run now.  Scheduled 4.5 miles.

2007-12-27 1:19 PM

User image

Hey Ken et. al.

I'm a runner coming out of a temporary "retirement" that was forced by a pretty crazy work schedule over the past couple of years.  Now I"m trying to find that balance between work and pleasure, finding time to get out for a run, bike, or even the occasional swim.  If there's still room in your group, I'd love to join.

Thanks,

Allie 

2007-12-27 4:00 PM
in reply to: #1118740

User image

Veteran
Hamilton,MI

Allie

I think we can manage one more. Welcome aboard.   Where are you from?

Ken

2007-12-27 4:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin

Say it ain't so...

Hoping you could squeeze in one more guy from the other side of the lake and add another tri donk to the group. If not I understand.

2007-12-27 4:52 PM
in reply to: #1119096

User image

Veteran
Hamilton,MI

Alright your in. Ill add you to the list in my log tomorrow.

ken

2007-12-27 5:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin

Great!

NAME: RaytownPete - Pete , live in Racine, WI

STORY: After learning my wife and I were expecting our first child in the winter of 2007 I told me self I woudl loose weight and get helathly for the good of my family. I did nothing, we were blessed with a beatiful son (cole) and it took me about 5 montsh after his brith to commit to getting healthly again. I just started walking 5 days a week for month until I was doing 5 miles a day. Then I went to watch the spirit of Racine HIM and it was the challenge that I wanted to shoot for. I then started tri training in late July and did my first sprit in late September. I'm CFL ( clyde for life), currently 6-6", 221, down from my peak 264 pounds in June.
FAMILY STATUS: Married in 2003, one son 10 months old
CURRENT TRAINING:  Not as much as I would like, purchased a bike trainrer and learning to use the treadmill more, try to swim 3 days a week.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: 1 Sprint, 3-4 5K's
2008 RACES: J-hawk Earlybird Sprint( return the site of my first sprint) and take out a little revenge on the course that kicked my a$$. An Oly and Racine HIM if possible, a fall spint and Oly
WEIGHT LOSS: 43 pound YTD, but that is not my main goal.
No real experience in Running, Bikking or Swimming, Did a marathon back in 1996 and nothing close since. Hoping for a new bike (curretnly use a trek hybrid, circa 2000) and wetsuit for OWS practice in the Lake Michigan.

2007-12-28 10:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
W. Michigan

Injury Update:

The ankle is recovering pretty well at this point. The crutches have been gone for a while, and I'm driving with little to no discomfort.  Of course, I'm frustrated at having not been able to do too much the last couple of weeks (notice the tumbleweeds going through my logs).  I'm still way too tender to start running again, but I've been walking on the treadmill (more for stretching/range of motion than anything) and plan on hitting the pool again next week as well as some light work on the exercise bike.  I need to find that fine line between pushing myself without overdoing it an re-aggrivating the sprain.  Especially since my wife & I have a ski trip out west planned for the end of January.

2007-12-29 12:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Uh oh Pete, we got two donkai in the same group! This could spell for some trouble!

EEAAWWWWW!
2007-12-29 8:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Hamilton,MI

OK I give, what is this whole donkey thing ??????

2007-12-29 3:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin

I'm only a newly minted donk , so I'm probably not the best guy to answer but, as our lead donk (jszat) repsonded to my similiar question:

Well, best case is we hope you log consistently and inspire others, train and race with us at your leisure. Pretty laid back. We have gear but not mandatory. Just a fun group to try and keep things light really. Wide spectrum of abilities too so all are welcome.

Check out jszat's log and you will get a feel for the group, most located in SE WI

2007-12-30 7:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Hamilton,MI

Ok

So what do your January goals look like? here are mine (as well as on my logs page)

January 08
swim 15000yds
run (and/or orbital) 4hrs
bike 100 miles
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kdogtoo's group - full Rss Feed  

of 3