Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2007-12-09 9:39 AM

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
Subject: Apple vs. MS
Hello,
At the risk of fanning the flames of this degenerative debate, I am in the market for a new laptop for schooling purposes (I'm going back to get a masters). I am used to MS like everyone, and am comfortable with the 'unknown' of MS. I am however, sick of MS and I find the issues people have with Vista to be alarming, both from the EULA standpoint and from the power issue (people seem to feel that a minimum of 2gb memory is required to run Vista well).

So, I am considering a Mac lappy. I have NO experience with Mac OS, and I am concerned about having a house a with both a Mac (lappy) and MS desktop (4 years old). Can I get music, documents, and other things back and forth? How about integrating into a network? I have a wireless router for my internet at home - how easy/hard will it be to get a Mac linked up? Are there any integration concerns? I am only going to be using this laptop for schooling purposes (documents, spreadsheets, presentations, etc) and possibly for use in organizing my charity fund-raiser ride. Will I be able to plug my Mac laptop into my PC printer or will I need a new printer? (it's a HP 6210 all-in-one)

As far as price goes, from what I have seen, the cheap MS laptops appear to be cheaper, but once you start adding your softwares, peripherals, and whatnot on, the price difference gets smaller (but there is still a difference). To get a laptop to do what I want it to do will cost around $1k, a little more for a Mac.

Thoughts?

Can we try to stay away from debating which is better, because we know that has been discussed ad nauseum for years? Thanks.

2007-12-09 9:52 AM
in reply to: #1090811

User image

DC
Subject: RE: Apple vs. MS
I have a Macbook and I love it. I have the older OS (comp's about a year old). They all come with a built-in AirPort so you should have no problem hooking up to a wireless network; I have never had a problem with this even when some of my MS friends have (at the lib and what not). Most of the programs are pretty easily interchangeable too- you'll have to buy Word (or get a copy from someone else ) and then you should be set.
2007-12-09 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Sorry can't help with the question but I sure love the commercial with those 2 guys as PC and Mac
2007-12-09 1:34 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
We are a dual Mac/PC household and haven't had any problems, either with the router or printer (I have just about the same printer as yours). There will always be some compatibility issues, but we haven't had any with music (we both run iTunes). For the purposes you've stated, I think a Mac would work great.
2007-12-09 1:47 PM

Elite

weight lifting

2007-12-09 2:02 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2007-12-09 2:57 PM

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
I use 3 machines in different places on a daily basis: an old PC laptop (at home), an old PC desktop (at work), and a new-ish MacBookPro (everywhere). No issues at all with compatibility. At home, the DSL (wireless) modem was set up through the old PC laptop (via cable) and now I connect the Mac via airport to it. No problems.

The only issue was the old el cheapo laser printer (HP 1020) but that was somehow resolved. I fiddled with it for a week and suddenly it worked...don't ask me what I did. It wasn't supposed to work with a Mac, according to HP, but it does now. As far as I know, all other HP printers work with both.

The MacBook has an Intel chip and thus can run Windows too (sometimes I need both for work).
But it still can't play instant movies from Netflix. You need a real PC for that. That would be my only reservation about Macs right now...

(Otherwise, I'd recommend a Mac 100 times over a PC now. I was a staunch PC person for 20 years, started with programming DOS stuff in the 80's... But it sure is nice not too worry about viruses anymore and not to have to update/run anti-virus software on a regular basis! Don't discuss! Just sayin'...)
2007-12-09 3:20 PM

Elite
I have a pc desktop, dell laptop, and a MacBook. Far away the MacBook has had more hardware issues than any other system I have owned. When it works I much prefer it over my other two computers. Just make sure if you get a MacBook you get their warranty because you WILL need it.

Some how Apple has the best ranked tech support, which is a joke. They are available only Mon-Fri and during business hours. When you do get someone on the phone, they will speak English but act condescending.

But I would not hesitate to get another Apple Laptop. Your printer will still work and with a little bit of work you will be able to access all of your old files just fine, you will like the interface. It is just that quality control on Apple laptops is garbage. Yes I still love mine.
2007-12-09 4:38 PM
in reply to: #1091117

Pro
Hailey, ID
aarondavidson - 2007-12-09 2:20 PM

I have a pc desktop, dell laptop, and a MacBook. Far away the MacBook has had more hardware issues than any other system I have owned. When it works I much prefer it over my other two computers. Just make sure if you get a MacBook you get their warranty because you WILL need it.

Some how Apple has the best ranked tech support, which is a joke. They are available only Mon-Fri and during business hours. When you do get someone on the phone, they will speak English but act condescending.

But I would not hesitate to get another Apple Laptop. Your printer will still work and with a little bit of work you will be able to access all of your old files just fine, you will like the interface. It is just that quality control on Apple laptops is garbage. Yes I still love mine.

A lot of what you say is your personal experiance and is really not very productive when you say things like "you WILL need it [warranty]." We have a mac in our office which is from 1982 that still runs. You experiance is what many people get from ANY computer. These all are manufactured pieces which can fail. Just like if you go get a BMW you might have an issue within 10k miles or you might not.

As far as support, I don't know what phone number you are calling but apple's support number (1-800-APL-CARE) is open 24/7/365. You can also go into any apple stores and get support their.

Now to the question. I run a business that services both PCs and Macs. There are almost zero compatibility issues between the two. They go to the same wireless, same internet and same networking. You can share between no problems (you just can't share you viruses and spyware )

If I were in your position I would get a Macbook (or Macbook Pro) with MS Office 2004 for mac or iWork 08 HANDS DOWN over a PC.

PM if you need some specific advice on the best place to buy / what you need for your machine. Good luck to you!
2007-12-09 4:50 PM

Master
West Jordan, UT

Funny article regarding Mac OS and Vista: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2223921,00.asp

Both have their quirks. If you are not locked into either camp, find some computers you can play around with and see which one you like. Compatibility should not be an issue, as far as networking or files. Networking is standardized, so any OS is going to be able to connect up to any network (It is all TCP/IP and 802.11x). As far as the printer, all you need to do is check hp's website to see if they have Mac drivers. They probably do.

As far as the hardware requirements, yes Vista probably needs more than Mac. But since there is more than one PC manufacturer, the prices are a lot better for hardware on the PC side. Your windows box with a 3d card and extra ram is going to cost the same (or less) as the Mac with lower hardware specs.

Also, you probably know this, but students can get way cheaper licenses for MS office and other software.

Edited by tkbslc 2007-12-09 4:52 PM
2007-12-09 4:52 PM
in reply to: #1091040

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Just to chime in with my own experience regarding quality control-- I bought my MacBook Pro the first day it was available. I have had zero problems with it, except for the power cord needed to be replaced when it became frayed. They gave me a new one at the Apple store, no questions asked.

2007-12-09 8:47 PM

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
I just bought my Mac Laptop about a month ago.  So now we have a PC laptop and my Mac laptop.  Haven't had any issues with switching files between the two.  I did buy the Office version for Mac just to make things easier for me.  Networking hasn't been an issue with either computer either.

I have had NO major issues with my Mac and having never used one before I got it home, I found it easy to use.  Actually, the more you know about a computer, the harder you'll find a Mac to use at first.  It's so intuitive it's scary.

I have found that some websites don't like to run on the Mac.  Actually BT runs oddly using Safari (Mac internet explorer).  Overall I have loved it.  And if you use Polar software, it's not supported by Mac.  Just FYI.  

2007-12-09 8:57 PM
in reply to: #1091634

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Marvarnett - 2007-12-09 8:47 PM

I just bought my Mac Laptop about a month ago.  So now we have a PC laptop and my Mac laptop.  Haven't had any issues with switching files between the two.  I did buy the Office version for Mac just to make things easier for me.  Networking hasn't been an issue with either computer either.

I have had NO major issues with my Mac and having never used one before I got it home, I found it easy to use.  Actually, the more you know about a computer, the harder you'll find a Mac to use at first.  It's so intuitive it's scary.

I have found that some websites don't like to run on the Mac.  Actually BT runs oddly using Safari (Mac internet explorer).  Overall I have loved it.  And if you use Polar software, it's not supported by Mac.  Just FYI.  

Huh. I access BT using Safari and haven't noticed any problems. Maybe I just don't know what I'm missing. .

One thing, though-- my CT doesn't work with my Mac. Gotta use the Old School PC for that.
2007-12-29 10:02 AM

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
Yup, I'm back. I'm leaning towards getting a mac book for school. What, specifically, will I need to allow my profs, who will most likely be using Windows machines, to see my work. If I have to write a paper, will they be able to open a file on their Windows machine that I wrote on Mac software? Thanks.
2007-12-29 10:08 AM

Pro
Hailey, ID
MS Office for the Mac. Get the student/teacher edition for 149 dollars. I am also a big fan of iWork 08, but if you are doing spreadsheets, the compatibility with excel isn't there yet, but Pages and Keynote are way better than word IMHO. Macbook is a great way to go as long as you don't need to play video games . Also, get any extra RAM from a third party. It is MUCH cheaper.

Check out http://www.transintl.comfor cheap ram.
2007-12-29 10:14 AM
in reply to: #1121825

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

bradword - 2007-12-29 10:08 AM MS Office for the Mac. Get the student/teacher edition for 149 dollars. I am also a big fan of iWork 08, but if you are doing spreadsheets, the compatibility with excel isn't there yet, but Pages and Keynote are way better than word IMHO. Macbook is a great way to go as long as you don't need to play video games . Also, get any extra RAM from a third party. It is MUCH cheaper. Check out http://www.transintl.comfor cheap ram.

Doesn't anyone use OpenOffice, or are there persons that don't feel comfortable with using that Suite?  I can only think that there would be a compatibility issue with a more recent version of MS Office docs need being read.

2007-12-29 10:22 AM
in reply to: #1121830

Pro
Hailey, ID
Never really used openoffice lately. Since I work in the industry, I get NFR for free so don't have to worry about the cost, and since we sell Office and iWork, we also make a small profit when we sell it, so openoffice doesn't make sense.
2007-12-29 2:04 PM
in reply to: #1091634

Champion
Fairport, NY

Actually, the issue isn't with Macs but with Safari, the Apple web browser. Most BTers who use Macs run FireFox. Specifically, the problem is with Safari and the advanced blog/forum editor and we may have a fix for that soon.

Marvarnett - 2007-12-09 9:47 PM I just bought my Mac Laptop about a month ago. So now we have a PC laptop and my Mac laptop. Haven't had any issues with switching files between the two. I did buy the Office version for Mac just to make things easier for me. Networking hasn't been an issue with either computer either.

I have had NO major issues with my Mac and having never used one before I got it home, I found it easy to use. Actually, the more you know about a computer, the harder you'll find a Mac to use at first. It's so intuitive it's scary.

I have found that some websites don't like to run on the Mac. Actually BT runs oddly using Safari (Mac internet explorer). Overall I have loved it. And if you use Polar software, it's not supported by Mac. Just FYI.

2007-12-29 2:59 PM
in reply to: #1121813

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)

D.Z. - 2007-12-29 10:02 AM Yup, I'm back. I'm leaning towards getting a mac book for school. What, specifically, will I need to allow my profs, who will most likely be using Windows machines, to see my work. If I have to write a paper, will they be able to open a file on their Windows machine that I wrote on Mac software? Thanks.

Download NeoOffice - made by Sun Micro systems - it is free - go under preferences and save your documents in word format - that is what I have and love it. 

2007-12-29 3:39 PM

Expert
I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
I have a Compaq desktop, Compaq laptop, and a MacBook Pro all running Office. I switch files between them all the time and have no problem. I have them all on my wireless home network with the router connected to my Compaq desktop, again with no problems.

The desktop is a fairly recent addition and came with Vista. I was having such a horrible time with it crashing, even with 3gb of installed RAM, that I ended up taking it back down to WinXP a couple of weeks after purchasing it.
2007-12-29 3:53 PM

Expert
I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
BTW, I also meant to add that I agree with Brad about the warranty issue. As with any type of electronic devices, there are going to be occasional problems. It's the nature of the beast. That having been said, I've been using Macs since the late 1980's when I got my first Mac Classic with a whopping 20mb external hard drive. LOL Over the years, I've had about 6 or 7 different Mac systems (including the MacBook Pro I currently use) and I've only had to have 1 warranty repair (a faulty fan) made in that whole time.

I've also had a lot of PCs over the years as well, with a lot more needed warranty repairs than the Mac systems I've owned. I don't diss all PCs because of that fact. Given how many computers are manufactured around the world, the bottom line is that occasionally you might get one that has a problem. You get it fixed and you move on. Even though I consider myself a Mac person first, I still think each type of system has it's place depending upon what the desired usage is by the owner.

2007-12-29 6:07 PM

Veteran
Auckland
We have both in our household and they work well together, for me personally at home (disclaimer I work for MS) I have a macbook running XP under parallels.

This gives me the best of both worlds the mac for creativity, photos, music, movies etc and windows xp for running Office 2007 and applications not available on the mac. Another bonus for us is the built-in webcam which is brilliant for instant messaging etc and saves buying an external one.

My wife runs Office for Mac 2004 which seems to suit her needs and a new version I understand is due out in a few weeks which will make it more like the windows 2007 version.
2007-12-29 8:08 PM

Nor*Cal

No one has mentioned that the Macs are now Intel based CPUs which means that they can now dual boot MS Windows or *within* Mac OS thru virtualization (look up Parallels for Mac).

Our household has been Mac only for about 5 years. My wife isn't tech savvy so she uses it mainly for web browsing. I've used our Mac to make DVD movies, photo editing/printing, music (iTunes), and writing reports/essays when I was in school.

I also use a Mac at work and the only issue I encounter regurlary is calendering/scheduling with MS Exchange (there are one or two extra steps whenever I get a meeting invite or create a meeting).

As with most things, there is a learning curve if/when you transition to Mac OS. But once you get the hang of it you might wonder why you didn't switch sooner.

-ak- 

2007-12-31 7:51 PM

Master
Cumming, Georgia
If it weren't for my job I would probably use Apple.  I am a software developer that develops with all Microsoft products.  I was able try an iBook a couple of years ago and had no issues with hardware, file sharing, etc.  No OS is perfect and each have their stregnths.  My wife is wanting a new laptop and I am considering getting her an Apple since she mainly checks email and surfs the net.  Once I am in the market for a new laptop I may consider an Apple and just dual boot.
2008-01-01 4:29 PM

Veteran
Auckland
Agreed the one thing that made me switch to Apple was the intel core and the ability to run windows and apple OS/Software.

Whilst you can dual boot ie when you turn on the machine you choose to run Apple or Windows, however with parallels for Mac you can run windows applications as mac applications saving having to switch between operating systems.

The best of both worlds.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Apple vs. MS Rss Feed  

of 1