BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leopard8996's Group - Full (of amazing people) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-12-23 10:36 AM
in reply to: #1091958

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
Subject: RE: Leopard8996's Group - Full (of amazing people)
Hi everyone!!!! Anyone training this week or are we all on vacation?

2007-12-23 12:23 PM
in reply to: #1114891

Veteran
Sunny Oregon
Trying to, but still trying to get in a little last minute shopping, etc. I did manage to squeeze in a 4 mile run last night, finished at 11:45pm, but then couldn't get to sleep! Should have known better... I've been battling a sore hip after I run. The last time out was pretty good and I didn't feel it much the next day. But this morning, it's a little sore again. Still struggling to figure out what I can do to prevent that. I've been trying to do some stretches, so maybe in the longer term that will help solve the problem.
2007-12-26 12:09 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Happy Holidays everyone!!!!

Birdie - Have you looked at any of the BT Sprint training plans? I would recommend looking at them and determining which one you think will best suit you.

TriGuy - I find icing and massage to be really helpful when I'm nursing a sore spot. I've been avoiding running because I have an ankle/foot thing going on but hopefully when I hit the gym tomorrow it will be a bit better.

How are the Ironpeople doing? Ronin, Jen? When do your plans "officially" start? Are you both getting excited?

Froglegs - How did the long run go?

Off to do some more celebrating and then lots of workouts and errands on tap for the next week since I'm off Gotta get ready for Jan 7 when my training program kicks off.

Question of the Week for all of you:

How do you like the BT logging tools?

If you don't use them why?
2007-12-26 10:41 AM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
I felt fine during the run, except I had a major, umm, digestion issue about halfway through, which resulted in a detour and break before my run could resume. Sorry if that was TMI. I ended up running 9.4 miles total (4.4, then 5).

I planned on doing a short run yesterday but Christmas ended up taking over the whole day, so tonight I will stop binging on cookies and fudge and get back into my training. I haven't hit the pool in 2 weeks, so I'm trying to decide whether I want to do that (and some weights), or do the run I missed yesterday. I'm thinking the run is more important with my 1/2 marathon in 3.5 weeks, but I don't want to totally neglect my tri training.

I really like the training logs, they are convenient to use and I think they help to keep me honest and organized. I am a total nerd and keep spreadsheets for various things as well, but the BT log puts it all together very nicely.

Edited by froglegs 2007-12-26 10:47 AM
2007-12-26 11:04 AM
in reply to: #1116665

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

I love the logs since it does keep my on track and keeps everything in one place. It gives me a chance to look back to my times/info from when I started in October and use that as encouragement when I think I am not improving as quickly as I feel like I should.  I love the emails each morning detailing my planned workout for the day.

I have not gotten any workouts done since Monday morning when I tried running outside for the first time. I  have only been running on the treadmill.  I did not think I would like running in the cold but after some encouragement from people on BT and the fact that the Y was closed, I decided to give it a try and pleasantly surprised that I like it.  I did not stretch enough and felt tightness in my shins and the pounding on the concrete hurt my plantar fasciitis a bit so I mostly brisk walked but did 3.34 miles in just under an hour.  Now I have a route to take and to improve my times.

Since then I have been sick and laying low.  I had hoped to get to the Y today but since I cannot breath just sitting here,  probably better to take at least another day. 

Randi

2007-12-26 1:01 PM

Veteran
Sunny Oregon
I've not tried icing or any massage, but will give it a shot. Do you ice immediately after the run? I haven't run for a couple days and am going to try and get out tonight, provided it's not icy. It was a little slick this morning!

I don't take full advantage of the logs, but do use them to track the basics and find that they're a great resource to look back and keep tabs on time/distance, etc. The nutrition feature seems like a good idea, but seems to be somewhat labor intensive.

Happy Holidays everyone!

2007-12-26 6:28 PM

User image

Redmond, Oregon
Happy Holidays everyone! I was over in the valley(the wet side of Oregon) for Christmas and only manage to get in a gym workout on Sunday. I drove back over the mountain last night and it was a long slow drive with all of the snow. I had way too much junk over the weekend and have to get back on track. I was planning on my spin class tonight but as the day has worn on my stomach doesn't feel so hot, so I'm thinking I'm just going to head home and take it easy. This weekend is not looking so good for working out either, as of right now I have plans to head back to Portland with a friend for New Year's, maybe I can talk him into doing the First Run of the Year, but I'm thinking, most likely not.

I do like the exercise logs, I haven't used the nutrition ones yet, been logging my food on the Weight Watchers site. I really like all of the detail you can enter, just have to remember to keep up with it!
2007-12-28 11:05 AM

Veteran
Sunny Oregon
leopard8996 - 2007-12-25 10:09 PM

Happy Holidays everyone!!!!

TriGuy - I find icing and massage to be really helpful when I'm nursing a sore spot. I've been avoiding running because I have an ankle/foot thing going on but hopefully when I hit the gym tomorrow it will be a bit better.

Well I got 3 miles in on the t-mill Wednesday night. By going back to my old shoes (Saucony's) and a bag of frozen corn on my hip for a 1/2 hour after the run while I watched the news left me feeling pretty good the next day. I could still feel a little something, but it's definitely better than it was. I think I'll be shopping for another pair of Saucony's and toss the Asics; that combined with regular icing and a little more (regular) stretching will hopefully get me where I want to be.
2007-12-28 11:21 AM

Veteran
Sunny Oregon
Question for the group...

How many of you treat Tri's as your number one "event" as opposed to specific running or cycling events. Do you "squeeze in" other events (10K's, half mary's, etc) around your Tri schedule or vice versa? I'm sure for those that are training for an IM, I already know the answer. But for those that only intend on competing in shorter distance Tri's, where's your focus and what's your passion?

Just curious... As I've been running again the past few months after a several year lay-off, I'm now remembering how much I enjoyed it. I have several friends that comment on how boring running is and that they just can't take the monotony of it. For me though it leaves my body feeling good (at least most of the time!!), my mind clear and overall it seems like a "win win." I'm not second guessing my desire to compete in some Tri's, but maybe rethinking (a little) my priorities for the upcoming year.

Happy New Year everyone!
2007-12-28 12:03 PM

User image

Hi everyone - I have been side tracked with holidays and illness for the past week or so - but I am back. Online tools - I am lazy - but have found when I put structure around things I do better - so I am going to start using them in conjunction with my coach's plan for me. I hired a coach to help swimming technique & she is also going to do a weekly training plan for me. So I think that with the online tools will help me get it back in gear.

Triguy - I am so not an athlete - did my first sprint last year and just didn't know how to go about it. I think if anything I would do more cycling events but in training and planning on races I do look to tris. I wanted to do MS150 last year but it didn't work out. This year I am going to look to find that delicate balance between training, racing and family. My races for this year are Mooseman Oly (first Oly), Danskin (got 3 others to do it with me) and one other sprint - maybe Timberman (convinced my husband to do one with me - so he understands a little more the bug you can get)

Happy New Year to everyone!
2007-12-28 12:20 PM
in reply to: #1120497

Veteran
Sunny Oregon
TriMom9 - 2007-12-28 10:03 AM

Hi everyone - I have been side tracked with holidays and illness for the past week or so - but I am back. Online tools - I am lazy - but have found when I put structure around things I do better - so I am going to start using them in conjunction with my coach's plan for me. I hired a coach to help swimming technique & she is also going to do a weekly training plan for me. So I think that with the online tools will help me get it back in gear.

Triguy - I am so not an athlete - did my first sprint last year and just didn't know how to go about it. I think if anything I would do more cycling events but in training and planning on races I do look to tris. I wanted to do MS150 last year but it didn't work out. This year I am going to look to find that delicate balance between training, racing and family. My races for this year are Mooseman Oly (first Oly), Danskin (got 3 others to do it with me) and one other sprint - maybe Timberman (convinced my husband to do one with me - so he understands a little more the bug you can get)

Happy New Year to everyone!

That's great that you've got your husband to do one with you. I have yet to get my wife interested, but who knows, maybe someday. I know there are a number of other Oregonians in our group, but judging from the races you mentioned, you must be East Coast?

I've run some before, but I'm wondering how to balance a few tri races with some 10K's/half-mary's and maybe a few cycling events. I'm pretty new to cycling, since riding my MTB with my kids doesn't really count! There's an annual Seattle to Portland ride which I've always thought would be fun, but there's definitely a delicate balance between training, racing and family as you pointed out. I've got 3 kids and know that it can be a struggle, so fitting in training time is a challenge.

I'll be interested in hearing how everyone is doing as we move into the New Year.

All the best!!

2007-12-28 11:41 PM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
I am new at this, but tris are my priority at this point. I enjoy swimming and especially cycling, and need the cross training to avoid becoming bored (and injured). But I am running a half marathon in 3 weeks, and will try to fit in more running races around my tri schedule. I am enjoying the fitness that comes with the extra running, and it seems that running is a lot easier to do consistently, since it's not dependent on daylight or pool hours, and doesn't require prep or maintenance (like the bike) or going somewhere (like the pool). Another big part of it is that for most of my life I have had kind of an on-and-off love/hate relationship with running, and since triathlon for me is about taking on a new challenge and exploring my limits (as well as being healthy) I find my progress and achievements in running to be especially rewarding.

I WISH I could get my husband to do a triathlon with me, or anything for that matter. He used to lift weights, and when I met him 5 years ago he was in good shape. He has fallen off the exercise wagon in recent months/years and has gained some weight. We are in our mid/late 20's and I think now is as good a time as any for making our health a top priority. I try not to be pushy about it though, because I know he finds that very irritating.

2008-01-01 7:09 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Happy New Year everyone!!!!

TriGuy - I move workouts around to incorporate running races into my plan. Running is definitely my favorite thing to do from a zen kind of standpoint for me because I love listening to birds or rocking out to a new mix but I can't maintain running over time because it's too hard on my body thus triathlons.

A lot of people focus the spring and summer on tris and then turn the fall and winter towards a run focused because it's a great way to stay in shape in the off season.

Is everyone ready to kick off the Holiday stupor and move forward into 2008 focused on their goals????

Go Team!!!!!

I am checking in on everyone's logs so it's really helpful for the whole group if you use them. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Has everyone got a training plan selected that they'll be using for their 1st event?
2008-01-01 9:50 PM
in reply to: #1126694

Veteran
Sunny Oregon
Has everyone got a training plan selected that they'll be using for their 1st event?

I just plugged in a 12 week HR based sprint plan just for the fun of it. With the kids getting back to school and my 2 oldest with basketball just beginning, I'm trying to figure out when I'm going to squeeze the workouts in. There's definitely going to be some juggling of days, since some days it's a lot easier to get out for a run than to get to the pool. But so the story goes!!

I tried to start the year right and got a 45 minute trainer ride in today. Consistency is going to be the biggest struggle with work and the kids schedules going seemingly every direction. I'm very anxious to see where I'll be come March/April.

One day at a time...
2008-01-01 10:52 PM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
I have an oly planned on 3/22, but I have only been doing approximately one workout per week for swimming, biking, and strength training, since my half marathon is coming up on 1/20. If I have extra daylight I try to squeeze in an extra bike ride. After the 1/2 I will probably jump into the last 8 or 9 weeks of one of the oly plans. I am going to step up the swimming sooner though, since I haven't been doing much of it lately. I'm not worried about any of the distances, but obviously my goal is to do as well as possible and avoid injury.
2008-01-05 9:48 AM

User image

New user
hey leopard,

my name is richard and id like to join your group! im 23 years old and i come from a high school swim/water polo background also. post high school i put on about 60 pounds? and through comparing pictures of the past and looking into the mirror realized i needed to get back into working out haha.

ive been lifting, doing cardio, and eating right for the past... year and a half? and have gone from 220 to 148 :]

anyway... i swim at least 1,000 yards about 5-6 times and recently took a break from running... but about 2 or 3 months ago... i was running about 4 and a half miles 3 times a week.

i wanted to push myself and try a sprint triathlon in april... think you can help??

sincerely,

richard.

2008-01-07 12:25 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Thank you for your interest in our group Richard!

I would love to help but our group is pretty full and it's been closed for a few weeks now. I know there are several other groups open. I want to be fair to the other people in the group and sometimes it's already hard to keep up with everyone's unique situations (I'm sure you can understand).

Best of luck this upcoming year!

2008-01-07 12:48 AM
in reply to: #1127043

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
TriGuy - Don't worry about moving things in the schedule around. I think that's one of the best things about BT is that once a training plan is loaded you can easily swap workouts from day to day based on your personal commitments. I just got word from Rod @ HFAC that the race this year is confirmed for 5/3. Are you planning on doing it?

Hey Amanda - Any interest in doing the Hawthorne Farms Sprint? How's the rowing going?

Margot - How are you doing? I've been checking in hoping to see you using the logs Feel free to ask questions about them. I really do think it's a great way to keep track of things and with Mooseman on the docket for 2008, I think you'll really benefit from using a training plan and getting the support of others doing the same race

Ronin/Jen - How you feeling? Do you have rooms already booked in CDA? Probably the best advice I can give you both is that nutrition and rest are like the 4th and 5th disciplines of Ironman. They are virtually as important as the swimming, biking and running so make sure you spend some time preparing a nutrition plan and strategy and rest when your plan tells you too and sometimes more if you need it.

Julianna - Did you decide on a plan for your sprint? Were you able to get some good workouts in while school was out of session?

So to celebrate the start of the 1st full week of the new year here's the question for you all to think about and answer if you can (Julianna - hopefully this helps give you some tips for swimming):

Do you have a favorite swim drill that you like? If so, can you describe it?

Mine is the Blue Line Drill - Focus on pressing your chest towards the blue line on the bottom of the pool (think of it as swimming deep), this pops your hips and butt up and helps keep your body aligned. I do 100-200 yds of this drill when I feel like my body position needs work.
2008-01-07 1:47 PM

User image

New user

Phoenix, AZ
I was able to get in some good workouts over the break, and I have one week left until school starts. I tried doing the 12.4 mile bike and then the 3.1 mile run right after it, and it took a while but I did it! I don't want to over work myself, so I won't try that again for a little while. I'm going to keep up 3 days of running/biking, and 3 days of lifting/swimming as much as I can. For the biking/running I have one sprint/hill day, one easy/steady day, and one long/hard day. I'm trying to mix up my workouts so I don't get bored and my muscles don't get used to it, especially since I'm working inside now. As for the swimming, I would love to hear about different drills so I can incorporate them.

Julianna
2008-01-07 2:03 PM

User image

Redmond, Oregon
Answering the favorite swim drill question, not necessarily my favorite but I've been focusing a lot on high elbow recovery so I've been doing the zipper drills and also on breathing on my left side so a lot of side kicking and breathing on that side to get my balance even. Last year after my long swims my left shoulder would get sore, especially after wearing my full sleeve wetsuit. So with bilateral breathing I'm hoping to even things out. In the weight room I find it depressing on how little I can lift when doing shoulder presses or other chest/shoulder exercises(especially my left shoulder) considering my legs are so strong when it comes to squats and other leg work.

I have a question for Bonnie with your run/walk intervals, how did you decided on how many minutes you'd run before your walking minute? I'm trying to figure out what would be the best intervals for me right now and have been trying different interval times to see what works best. But I really need to get my but in gear on the running!
2008-01-08 1:23 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Jen - I started out doing 4 min run 1 min walk because it was a neat 5 min and that made it easy for longer runs. What I figured out after doing that for about 3 long runs (9, 10, 1/2 mary) was that I was actually going too fast. I know that seems weird but since I'd never run a marathon and knew that for me the critical factor was going to be pacing not just at mile 1 or 10 but 18 and 24 I wanted to do my long runs at a sustainable IM marathon pace. So I figured out that if I changed my intervals to 3/1 I'd be walking an extra 3 min each hour. This slowed my pace down by approx 45 seconds per mile which was perfect. I wanted to target 13 minute miles (since my regular pace is about 11:30/12)

Sure enough this worked really really well. I did my intervals for the entire marathon right through to the end and while my pace did eventually slow my average for the marathon was like 14:15 miles which is tremendous in my mind since it tells me that even in those later miles I was still going pretty strong.

Try several different configurations out and see what works best for you. Does your watch have an interval timer on it? That is what helped me stay sane because I just set the timer and it beeped when I should start running and then when it was time to walk. Cool and easy to follow when you've been racing for 15+ hours.

2008-01-10 9:33 AM
in reply to: #1141011

Veteran
Sunny Oregon
Anyone... Need some "technical assistance."

If I want to delete a training plan, how do I do that? Was thinking I might switch to another one, but wasn't sure how to go about getting the old one out.

Thanks!
2008-01-10 3:30 PM
in reply to: #1147541

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Triguy67 - 2008-01-10 7:33 AM

If I want to delete a training plan, how do I do that? Was thinking I might switch to another one, but wasn't sure how to go about getting the old one out.

Thanks!

Go into your training log and do the Copy/Move/Delete feature. Specify the entire date range that you loaded your plan for and then check all the boxes (Swim, Bike, Run, Related Comments etc) and Select Delete Data.

This will clear everything from your planned log and then you can import a new training plan of your choosing.

Hope that helps!
2008-01-10 5:36 PM
in reply to: #1148668

Veteran
Sunny Oregon
leopard8996 - 2008-01-10 1:30 PM

Triguy67 - 2008-01-10 7:33 AM

Thanks!

Go into your training log and do the Copy/Move/Delete feature. Specify the entire date range that you loaded your plan for and then check all the boxes (Swim, Bike, Run, Related Comments etc) and Select Delete Data.

This will clear everything from your planned log and then you can import a new training plan of your choosing.

Hope that helps!

Finally got it to work - the first few times it kept reflecting "Actual Data" as opposed to the plan data, but I finally got to the right place and I'm good to go. Thanks!
2008-01-13 6:27 PM

User image

Hi Group!
I'm sorry I've been out of the loop. I injured my knee snowboarding last weekend and am now facing an ACL replacement surgery on Wednesday. I'm trying to not get too depressed about it, but I was really looking forward to this year's training and racing goals and now it looks like I'll need to re-evaluate. This will be my second ACL replacement for this knee, although the 1st time was much worse (I had the "unhappy triad" of an ACL, MCL and meniscus tear) so I'm hoping the recovery isn't as bad as I'm anticipating. I'll start physical therapy on Friday and will go twice a week for 6 weeks.

Any words of wisdom?

Best,
Amanda
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leopard8996's Group - Full (of amazing people) Rss Feed  

of 3