BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leopard8996's Group - Full (of amazing people) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-12-10 12:28 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Subject: Leopard8996's Group - Full (of amazing people)
NAME: Leopard8996/Bonnie - I also answer to SpeedLeopard which is the name of my blog.

STORY: I'm a former HS and College Swimmer who got married, got an office job and proceeded to gain a LOT of weight. Back in 2002 I weighed more than 358lbs and could barely walk a flight of steps. I grew up in Kona so Ironman was a major part of my life but something I never ever had an inkling I could ever do. After starting WW and walking my first 5k a friend encouraged me to try the Danskin Triathlon and after finishing that at 285lbs I was hooked. I am all about having fun and enjoying the journey as much as the destination.

FAMILY STATUS: Married w/4 cats

CURRENT TRAINING: I generally train alone for swimming and biking and do most of my running with my co-workers and friends. I found BT last year and know with 110% certainty that it was a key ingredient in preparing for my Ironman. The friends I made and encouragement I was able to get and then give was amazing. I'm currently in maintenance mode while contemplating my 2008 season....

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2007 was all about the Ironman. I spent the first 6 months training for IM CDA and then the last 5 months maintaining my running and training socially while enjoying down time with my family and friends.

2008 RACES: Race for the Roses 1/2 Marathon April 2008 and then...... trying to decide what distance to focus on for the 2008 season. I love going long, I'm just not sure if my family and friends can take it 2 years in a row.

WEIGHTLOSS: I've lost 170lbs through Weight Watchers and triathlon over the past 5 years. I use the BT nutrition logging and think it's an excellent tool for keeping track of what you're eating and making progress towards weight loss goals. 30 of the 170lbs were lost this year using the BT tools

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I love to encourage people! I honestly believe that anything is possible if you put your mind to something and hey if I can do it then so can you! I enjoy sharing information and being a cheerleader as my group moves towards their goals.

Edited by leopard8996 2007-12-15 3:24 PM

2007-12-12 9:48 PM
in reply to: #1091958

User image

Expert
Wind Lake WI
Subject: RE: Leopard8996's Group - Open
Bonnie- you should post a link to your IM race report in your bio. It is, by far, the best IM report I've ever read.  You were my inspiration for Moo last year!
2007-12-12 11:34 PM

User image

Hi Bonnie,
I would love to join your group! Here's my info:

NAME: Amanda

STORY: I've always been active (crew and lacrosse in college, rock climbing, equestrian show jumping post-college) but a knee injury limited what I was willing to do. Last winter I was inspired to start rowing again with a master's women's team, which quickly proved to me I was nowhere near the shape I wanted to be in. A friend of mine was training for triathlons at the same time, so I started joining him for training sessions. Before long, I signed up for a sprint race (Luna Women's Tri last July) as a training goal, and the rest, as they say, is history. I am 32 years old, teach high school art and leadership, and live in Portland.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 dogs

CURRENT TRAINING: My training is pretty scattered right now. I have crew practice 2-3x per week which includes a variety of land training workouts (running, erging, LOTS of core work, stairs, etc) since it's too dark/cold/nasty to be on the water. I'm also training for the Race for the Roses 1/2 marathon in April so I try to run 2-3x per week. On top of that, I want to work on my swimming this winter. I can barely crawl stroke and breast-stroked my two sprints last summer. Next summer I plan to do an Olympic distance so I need to step up the swimming.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2007: Luna Sprint, Scoggins Valley Sprint, Run Like a Girl 8k

2008 RACES: Race for the Roses 1/2 Marathon April 2008, Reach the Beach, Olympic distance tri (Blue Lake?)

I'm mainly looking for a mentor who can help me sort out training priorities, offer words of encouragement, and push me when needed!

Edited by amandaryan98 2007-12-12 11:37 PM
2007-12-13 7:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Bonnie,

I am already a member of another mentor group but wanted to tell you how inspiring you are to me. I read your entire IM report on your blog. Your attitude and spirit are definitely contagious. I would love to be part of your group as well but don't want to take a spot that someone else might need.

I have battled my weight my entire life and never exercised until about 2 years ago, 1 year after I started weight watchers. I have battled plateaus since the end of the first year but continue to go to meetings and weigh in. I lost 30 lbs and have another 30 to go (not that they seem to want to go). I volunteered last summer at the NJ State Triathlon and came away from that wanting to participate so here I am. I love the fact that I have a purpose besides weight loss for my exercise and I am loving seeing the improvements in my times and endurance as I train.

I am married (started dating my husband 21 years ago today) and we have two sons 7 and almost 11.

Let me know if it is okay to belong to two mentor groups!
Randi
2007-12-13 9:48 AM

User image

Bonnie
I read this and was so excited to see a mentor who knows exactly where I am coming from. Two years ago I was 320 lbs & I lost 130 lbs, putting a sprint tri in 2006 as a goal to helping me get there. So I got there, became a bum, let work catch back up with me & gained 30 lbs back. I finally said - ok stop & put a bigger challenge in front of me - Mooseman Oly in June 2008. I have NEVER been an athlete but I loved how I felt when I finished my first tri and would like to get a little bit more into the sport all around. I thought this mentor program would be a great way to do this, keep me motivated and get ideas from others.

Family status - Married w\ 2 boys (5 & 2 1/2)

Current training - just getting back to it & hired a coach that I am going to see for the first time on Saturday - VERY excited about this!

This year's races - 2007 Danskin in Webster, MA

2008 races - Mooseman Oly in June

I would love to join your group. I don't do the training logs yet, but will do that as I know that will really help me get the most out of this program.

Margot

Edited by TriMom9 2007-12-13 9:49 AM
2007-12-14 1:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Chilliwack B.C

Hi Bonnie, I would like to join your group. I'm 39 years old and have been in Triathlon now for a bout a 2 years. 1st year was tri a ry, then I did a sprint, Oly, and half Iron last year. I am currently signed up for CDA in 2008. This will be my first Iron Man and I am both excited, and very nervous.

Outside of triathlon I am a manager for Corrections Canada working at Kent maximum security prison. It allows me some flexabilty, for example I can run at lunch kind of thing.

2007-12-14 2:39 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
WOO HOO!!!!!

Welcome to Team Awesome people

Randi - I see no reason why you can't be part of 2 threads. Sometimes there are others who have things they can offer that I definitely don't excel at and I believe one of the most important things you can do as a beginner triathlete is arm yourself with information!

Ronin - You go!!!!! I can give you so many pointers and tips on CDA and let you know that you'll just love the place, the people and the experience.

Amanda - I'll be seeing you at the races girl! I live in Portland too so perhaps we can get together sometime. Looks like you have very achievable goals for 2008.

Margot - Congratulations for getting back on the horse and keeping 100lbs of weight off. Wow! That is a tremendous accomplishment and you should be very proud. Losing weight is usually the easiest part because maintenance is something nearly everyone (including me) struggles with.

So welcome to everyone!!!!!

My goals for you all are to help you as a resource as you each work towards your individual goals but also that you'll band together and encourage one another through inspires and this thread.

What would you all say is your #1 race priority for this coming season and what is your first race of the season?

I'll start.....

First race will be the Shamrock Run 8k

IM CDA is my #1 race priority
2007-12-14 2:50 PM

User image

New user

Phoenix, AZ
I would love to join your group! I read through all of the mentors, and I definitely think you're the one for me! A little about me...

NAME: Julianna

STORY: I'm 22 years old, and I come from a very physically active family of 8 girls. I've always been very active in sports. I played badminton, basketball, and ran track in high school. I didn't love running, so I did hurdles, long jump, high jump, basically anything so I wasn't just running. I won state in badminton, but it's not the easiest sport to find places to play, so it's been hard to keep it up. Being so active in high school, I couldn't gain a pound. In college I realized I could, and I put on about 30 pounds my first few years. I wanted to get in shape again before it got to be more. I played badminton, but didn't like running, so my workouts were few and far between. I got in better shape for my wedding which was 8 months ago, but since then I stopped. Then my coworker told me about a triathlon she was going to do, so I decided I'd do it with her. She had done a marathon and said if she can do that, we can definitely do a sprint triathlon. Now I have a renewed outlook on life, and I want to try everything I can. Even though I work full time, go to school full time, and take care of my 20 year old husband full time lol, I want to make time to experience more things in life. I've only been running for a few weeks, but I already enjoy running so much more since I feel I'm working for something I want and not doing it because I have to.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with one cat

CURRENT TRAINING: This is my first triathlon, and I just decided to do it a couple weeks ago. I'm basically going from couch to sprint, but I already had a good start. I ran 3 miles 3 times this week, biked 12 miles 3 times, and did weight training. I'm going to start the swimming next week now that I have all my gear. Since I do go to Arizona State, I have access to the entire workout center. The biggest thing I need help on is swimming. Although I know how to swim, I swim well, and I'm not afraid of the water, I've never really been trained.

2008 RACES: I will be racing in the Tempe Women's Triathlon on May 10th.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm just starting so we'll see how it goes!
2007-12-14 3:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Thanks Bonnie. I am so excited to be part of two groups because like you said, each group will have something different to offer in the way of support.

My race goals this year are to finish my first triathlon on July 29. I began training with the couch to sprint in October and am supposed to be done with that plan in mid March. I don't know that I want to try something before my first sprint but, who knows. Other than the NJ State Triathlon in July, I don't have any other races planned but have a feeling that once I complete that one I will be looking for another. Honestly, the ocean OWS scares the heck out of me and that is probably why I have not thought of any other races yet. I never liked swimming in the ocean. Being here in NJ, the other races I have come across seem to be all ocean swims. I guess I will have to look into it some more to see if there might be something else to do later in the summer or early fall.

I also don't want to invest in a wet suit at this point and think that that might limit me choices too.

Randi
2007-12-14 4:55 PM

User image

Redmond, Oregon
Hi Bonnie, I would love to be part of your group and I know I will be looking to you for advice for Ironman Coeur d'Alene this year.

NAME: Trierjen/Jenny

STORY: I grew up loving to swim and ride bikes but my main passion at the time turned into horses. After I had graduated from high school I got an office job and also gained some weight. Then in 1998 I moved to Central Oregon and worked on a horse and cattle ranch for six years. That hard work kept me fairly in shape but then I had to quit and went through some very stressful times that fall and winter. That spring I started working back in an office and still very stressed I ended up turning to food for comfort. I decided it was too hard to keep my horses living in town and started thinking about selling them. In 2005 I joined Weight Watchers to help me become accountable and after seeing a flyer posted at my local pool for a triathlon I decided that would be my goal for the following year. I sold the horses that spring, bought a road bike, raced in my first sprint distance triathlon and have been hooked since.

FAMILY STATUS: Single w/2 dogs(blue heelers that think they are my kids)

CURRENT TRAINING: I guess you could say a pre-base phase, getting ready to start my IMCdA specific training in January.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: My main race is Ironman Coeur d'Alene

WEIGHTLOSS: When I had first joined Weight Watchers, I ended up losing over 50lbs. Unfortunately, I have gained some of that back, but hope with my training and really watching my eating I'll be able to get back down where I was.
2007-12-14 6:12 PM

Veteran
Sunny Oregon
Bonnie - still room for 1 more? Looks like you've developed a larger group than some and am curious if you're willing to take 1 more on?

Thanks for your feedback.

2007-12-14 9:16 PM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
I would like to join too!!! Please let me know if you still have room.
2007-12-14 10:24 PM
in reply to: #1102387

User image

Veteran
Chilliwack B.C

My #1 race wil be CDA

My first race will be the histotic 1/2 ( half Mary) Feb 17th.

I will also look at a spint distance, maybe Oly in March..maybe UBC, and then May 11th I have a Oly at Cultus Lake.

I am debating doing a 1/2 Iron before CDA, but the only one is just three weeks prior....hmmm perhaps to close the Ironman.
2007-12-15 3:53 AM
in reply to: #1102701

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
In case there is still room for me...

NAME: Robin

STORY: I'm 26 years old, been running on and off for years, started biking this year. I don't have any dramatic background - I just feel like my life has been somewhat stagnant for the last couple years, and I felt like I needed to DO something. Since I was biking and running, and I am an OK swimmer, I figured, why not do a triathlon? Now, after my first tri, I am hooked. I was a softball player for all of my teen years, I am a very competitive person, and it feels good to be an athlete again and feel like I am working towards something.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, with a dog, cat, and 2 lizards.

CURRENT TRAINING: I did a sprint tri last weekend, and now I'm focusing on the 1/2 marathon I'm doing on 1/20. So.... a lot of running, with some biking and swimming, and weights when I get a chance.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: So far I've signed up for the Carlsbad 1/2 marathon on 1/20, Wildflower olympic tri on 5/4, and I plan on doing the March olympic tri (put on by Cal Poly, my alma mater) on 3/22. I plan on doing a 1/2 IM later next year. I'm looking at either Vineman or Lake Stevens for my first.

WEIGHTLOSS: I've always been a stocky, muscular type, and always carried a little extra weight. I gained about 30lbs in my first 2 years of college, then lost it over the next 2 years. Right now I'm about 15 lbs or so down from my highest weight, and feel like I could stand to lose about 15-20 lbs. However, at the same time, because of all the training, I feel as though I've never been as fit as a I am now. I've never been fast, but in my first tri last weekend I finished 10/35 in my age group, and now I really can't wait to see what I can accomplish now that the addiction has taken hold!!

Oh, I wanted to add that I haven't lost a pound since I started tri training 6 weeks ago. I eat pretty well (mostly whole grains and lean meats, a lot of fruit and a decent amount of veggies) and usually manage to stay in the 1700 calorie per day range. I weigh 158 lbs and I am 5'-2.5". Advice on how to break through this plateau without compromising my ability to train would be appreciated.

Edited by froglegs 2007-12-15 4:02 AM
2007-12-15 3:29 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Subject: RE: Leopard8996's Group - Full (of amazing people)
Triguy, Froglegs, Jenny and Birdie - You are all in

I've closed the group because right now I think we have a great mix of people.

We've got 2 doing IM, a few doing their very first triathlon, a few moving up to a new distance be that Olympic or 1/2 IM and everyone interested in staying healthy and keeping the weight off or losing weight.

HOORAY!

My committment to you as your mentor is that I'll respond as soon as I can to emails, PMs and Inspires and I encourage you to add your group members to your logs so you can also check in and Inspire each other. I will be traveling quite a bit from now until New Year's but I hope to be able to keep up while I'm away.
2007-12-15 4:57 PM
in reply to: #1102387

User image

I finally sat down with a local race schedule and put some races on the calendar.
I'm considering doing the First Run (1/1/08) 5k for my first race this year. If not that, then the Shamrock Run 8k is my first on the calendar, too!

My priority race at this point is the Blue Lake Oly on 6/15.

2008 Race Calendar
1/1 First Run 5k (tentative)
3/16 Shamrock Run 8k
5/17 Reach the Beach century ride
6/15 Blue Lake Oly
8/2 Luna Sprint

2007-12-17 12:35 AM
in reply to: #1103890

Veteran
Sunny Oregon
leopard8996 - 2007-12-15 1:29 PM

Triguy, Froglegs, Jenny and Birdie - You are all in

I've closed the group because right now I think we have a great mix of people.

We've got 2 doing IM, a few doing their very first triathlon, a few moving up to a new distance be that Olympic or 1/2 IM and everyone interested in staying healthy and keeping the weight off or losing weight.

HOORAY!

My committment to you as your mentor is that I'll respond as soon as I can to emails, PMs and Inspires and I encourage you to add your group members to your logs so you can also check in and Inspire each other. I will be traveling quite a bit from now until New Year's but I hope to be able to keep up while I'm away.

Thanks Bonnie! Really looking forward to this.

NAME: Mark

FAMILY STATUS: Married w/ 3 kids, a dog and a cat.

TRAINING/HISTORY: Focus right now is on getting back into running and I've been doing some biking on a trainer at our club. I've run some in the past, done a 1/2 mary and was 3 weeks out from the Portland Marathon about 4 years ago when I messed up my knee and didn't get to run it - huge disappointment. This year will be my first attempt at a Tri and I'm really looking forward to it (but nervous - has something to do with that "swim thing" if any of you can relate!).

HEALTH HISTORY: I was diagnosed with a heart murmer when I was about 6 years old and was always told that I could do anything I wanted, but that I should expect to get winded more easily than the other kids, etc. Well, that held true, and my whole life I've always been slower than "the other guy" and know that I'll be a BOP'er to MOP'er at best. Long and
slow(er) interests me more than the short/sprint events.

GOALS: I'll probably try a sprint race this year just for the sake of it, but am really interested in longer races. I'd like to try an Oly this year and if possible by late summer complete a HIM. Eventually, if time, family and other commitments would allow I'd love to try an IM, but that's not 2008, maybe 2009 at the earliest. I'd also like to get a few 10K's and maybe a half mary or two on the calendar, if things work out OK. The few races I've done were a lot of fun. I might even drag my two boys along (11 & 14) for some shorter distances. Time will tell...

I'm still riding a MTB, so bike shopping is on the list of things to do, but that might wait until spring when the weather is a little more conducive to riding. If I can work on my aerobic base and general conditioning over the winter months that might suit me just fine for what I want to do this summer.

That's pretty much me in a nutshell.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!
2007-12-17 6:37 PM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
Hi everyone!!!! Let the fun begin.....

First up for me is a 1/2 marathon on 1/20. I signed up for it rather impulsively about 5 weeks ago, as motivation for improving my running. At that time I was only running about twice a week, 2-4 miles at a time. So with the help of the training schedule creator thing on the Runner's World website, I cobbled together a schedule which I have for the most part been sticking to (the exception being a couple weeks ago when I pulled a hammy while shoveling in my yard after a long run, and then got sick the next day, and took a few days off).

My plan is rather aggressive in that I am increasing mileage quickly. Other than one tempo run per week, I am just focusing on increasing mileage (no speedwork). I cut my cycling, swimming, and weights back to once a week for the time being, and am now increasing to 4 runs per week. My long run yesterday (and longest to date) was 8.5 miles.

My plan for the remaining 5 weeks looks something like this: 10 miles next Sunday, then 11, then 12, then 7 the Sunday before the race. 3-4 easy miles on Tuesdays. Thursdays are tempo runs of increasing length, from 4 miles this week up to 7 miles (including warm & cool) a week and a half before the race. Then 2-3 easy miles on Saturdays. The last week is just a couple of easy 4-5mi runs with nothing for two days prior to the race.

Please (please!) feel free to comment & make suggestions!!!
2007-12-17 7:20 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Quick flyby as I'm burning battery power at a cafe here in Kona

Mark - Where do you workout at and what kind of distances are you doing now? I had major knee issues that led to surgery and a long recovery so I can empathize and hopefully offer some tips about training back up.

Frog - Are you icing after every run right now? One thing that stood out to me was that you are ramping up your distance pretty quickly. This can lead to injury so while I wouldn't advise quite such a fast buildup at least you can mitigate that by being really on top of stretching, icing and possibly even massage.

About to head out to swim. I LOVE swimming in an outdoor pool when it's sunny out!
2007-12-18 12:02 AM
in reply to: #1106857

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
I am not icing, but I am stretching after each run. After my 8.5 miler yesterday my feet and calves were a little sore today, but feel good now after taking today off and walking around doing some Xmas shopping this evening. I posted this on another forum and someone suggested skipping the 12 miler and just doing 11... so instead of 10, 11, 12, I might do 9, 10, 11, or maybe even 9, 8, 11. Or I could just do 10. 9, 8, 10. Or 8, 9, 10. hmmmmm.... I don't know
2007-12-18 12:57 AM
in reply to: #1106857

Veteran
Sunny Oregon
leopard8996 - 2007-12-17 5:20 PM

Quick flyby as I'm burning battery power at a cafe here in Kona

Mark - Where do you workout at and what kind of distances are you doing now? I had major knee issues that led to surgery and a long recovery so I can empathize and hopefully offer some tips about training back up.

Frog - Are you icing after every run right now? One thing that stood out to me was that you are ramping up your distance pretty quickly. This can lead to injury so while I wouldn't advise quite such a fast buildup at least you can mitigate that by being really on top of stretching, icing and possibly even massage.

About to head out to swim. I LOVE swimming in an outdoor pool when it's sunny out!

I workout at Hawthorne Farm in Hillsboro - it's just a stones throw from home and very convenient. Right now I'm just doing short distances of 3-4 miles. My knee feels fine these days, but my hip has been bothering me a little bit after I run (OK after biking) so I'm trying to figure out what that's all about (outside of right hip). Might be just me getting old or maybe my switch of shoes wasn't a good one - switched from Saucony to Asics. Maybe I need to switch back. Mentally I'm ready to start upping the mileage, but have been hesitant to until I can figure out what my hip is doing. I'm going to throw up a thread and see what feedback I might get from others. Any ideas you or others in this group might have would be appreciated as well. I'm all ears!

Enjoy your trip!

2007-12-18 2:24 PM
in reply to: #1107209

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
froglegs - 2007-12-17 10:02 PM

I am not icing, but I am stretching after each run. After my 8.5 miler yesterday my feet and calves were a little sore today, but feel good now after taking today off and walking around doing some Xmas shopping this evening. I posted this on another forum and someone suggested skipping the 12 miler and just doing 11... so instead of 10, 11, 12, I might do 9, 10, 11, or maybe even 9, 8, 11. Or I could just do 10. 9, 8, 10. Or 8, 9, 10. hmmmmm.... I don't know

Personally I'd go for 8,9,10.

I never ran further than 10 miles prior to my 1/2 marathons. Still haven't and I've finished all of them happy and well.

If you have any knee/joint issues it's advisable to do a little less than a little more so you don't over stress your body.
2007-12-19 11:44 AM

User image

New user

Phoenix, AZ
I'm doing my first sprint triathlon in May of this year. What is the best advice you could give me for training or really anything? I have no idea what to expect. I'm the most worried about swimming. We're swimming in a small man-made lake, and I haven't really had any swimming training. Right now I'm biking, running, swimming, and weight lifting 3 days a week each. I just wonder if it's better to do certain things on the same days or if it really matters.

Julianna
2007-12-19 3:09 PM
in reply to: #1109766

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
If your sprint tri is in May and you are already running 3 miles and biking 12 miles 3 days a week, in my non-expert opinion, I'd say you are way ahead of the game. 12 miles on the bike and a 3.1 mile run are standard sprint tri distances.

How much are you swimming right now? I'm like you, an OK swimmer but with no training, and new to triathlons. But I can share with you a few things that I recently learned the hard way. If you just started with your swim workouts, I recommend not increasing your swimming volume too quickly (even if you feel like you can do more) to avoid injury to your shoulders. Focus on technique first, and the speed and distance will come. If you have a tendency to breathe on one side, get used to bilateral breathing now before you really get into the habit of not doing it. That was a really tough habit for me to break.

I find it impressive that you are able to fit in that many workouts per week, good for you!!
2007-12-19 3:22 PM
in reply to: #1108137

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
leopard8996 - 2007-12-18 12:24 PM

Personally I'd go for 8,9,10.

I never ran further than 10 miles prior to my 1/2 marathons. Still haven't and I've finished all of them happy and well.

If you have any knee/joint issues it's advisable to do a little less than a little more so you don't over stress your body.

Sounds good to me. My knee was not too happy yesterday so I took an extra day off. It didn't help that it was absolutely pouring rain all evening, and running in the dark in a downpour through flooded streets was not sounding like a fun idea.

OK, so my new plan calls for 8,9,10, so after this week I'll only be increasing total weekly mileage for 2 more weeks, by a mile or two per week. Then I will taper.

Thanks!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leopard8996's Group - Full (of amazing people) Rss Feed  

of 3