General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rochester/Southern MN training group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-12-10 8:33 AM

Regular
Subject: Rochester/Southern MN training group
Would anyone be interested starting a causual trainig group in the Rochester area?  My girlfriend lives down there now and I will be joining her soon.  Any thoughts???

2007-12-10 8:40 AM
in reply to: #1092130

Subject: RE: Rochester/Southern MN training group

I'd be interested, but unfortunately I'm guessing that my training times and limitations would not match well with many others.  Most of my running is done on a treadmill at the Y while my kids are in the kids care program there and my spinning is done at 5am 2 days per week.  But if you found a few people I'd be interested in staying in the loop so that I could join up when I was able to.

2007-12-10 9:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Dodge Center, MN
I'm in Rochester so keep me in the loop. I'm new and training to do sprint distances so my distances may be a lot less than what you are looking to do. I certanly could get involved with the indoor training. You can't get away from me on treadmill/bike trianer.
2007-12-10 9:53 AM

Regular
Maybe we could start w/ something simple.  Maybe a spin class at the Y followed by an easy 15-20min trasition run????  Whatta think?
2007-12-10 1:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Dodge Center, MN
I don't currently have a membership at any of the local health clubs. I will need to start though because I need to start swimming. How is the pool at the Y? If a lot of the other local people train there, maybe I'll just join up myself.
2007-12-10 2:19 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)

Don't know about the Y, but I like the pool at RAC.  It's open all the time, so you don't have to work around the swim lesson schedule.  RAC is a bit spendy, but I like it.  My DH and I work out in the mornings before work.  If you guys are organizing any after work SLOW runs, we'd be interested. 

Pattie

2007-12-11 8:03 AM

Regular
OK, maybe we could meet for Sat long slow runs.  So how knows all the good running routes???Laughing

Edited by xterrabuzz 2007-12-11 8:04 AM
2007-12-12 11:50 PM
in reply to: #1092773

User image

Veteran
Rochester, MN
Hi Brian,

I have been swimming in the Y now for several weeks. There are always 2 lanes open for swimming laps. The best time to go, I have found is around 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. I know that is not an ideal time to go for most people. I have a pretty flexible schedule for working so I go to the Y when I can. We have been Y members for over 10 years. It is not as flashy as the RAC, but it is significantly less money and close to my wife's work at "Mustard Clinic". Heh, Heh. I have a membership the Men's Choice locker room, which is pretty nice to have. I have my own locker and there is towel service, sauna, and even exercise equipment in the locker room. I don't use it, but I see somebody in there quite a bit. I have been swimming 500 yards the past two weeks. I plan on moving up to 600 tomorrow when I go. I am working on my technique right now. I usually swim then I run up the locker room and head down for a run on the treadmill for 30 minutes. I crank up the pace and see how far I can get in 30 minutes (max amount on one piece of equipment at one time). I am up to nearly 4 miles in that time. I know, that is not the fastest running time, but I am working on it. I ran 10 min miles last year on most of my runs, so being in the 7's & 8's now gives me some hope. Ten years ago I ran a 5:45 mile, so I know I can do it. Just got to get back to that kind of training. Only 6.5 months until the Buffalo Olympic Tri! I don't want to be last in my division! Ha ha. Anyway, I think the Y is good if you are on a budget. Otherwise, the RAC is our LifeTime Fitness down here and is pretty sweet!

Take Care,

Happy Holidays!

Bill
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rochester/Southern MN training group Rss Feed