BT Development Mentor Program Archives » hblackmon's Group - CLOSED!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2008-01-03 2:50 PM
in reply to: #1129257

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Subject: RE: hblackmon's Group - CLOSED!!

akstone - 2008-01-02 6:36 PM Goals for the week: Tuesday-2:30 long ride (completed) Wed.-Rest Thurs.-30 min run, 1hr swim Friday-1 hr ride, 30 min yoga Sat-1hr run Sun-1hr swim January Goals: -1 min crunches, 1 min pushups/day (I am part of a group that is doing a core challenge for the month) -follow my training plan with no more than 3 missed workouts for the month -eat healthy and make good food choices (1 cheat meal per week) Hope everyone is having a good new year! Angi

Great goals for this month - only 3 missed workouts would be great! For your core workout - have you looked at the "Around the World" core workout here on BT? That might be a good way to keep it interesting during the core challenge this month. It has some pushups in the rotation, but you could always do more to meet your goal.

2008-01-03 3:25 PM
in reply to: #1092283

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
Well this is week is about over but -
- Completed my first 5K (ok, I walked probably half of it, but it is a start), took me 40:51 but gave me a baseline to work from

-Meeting with my trainer 4 days this week, doing measurements today (Thurs)

-Try out my new bike trainer

-Get one swim workout in over the weekend

Jan Goals:
-Lose 3 pounds (3.5 would put me at my half way point!)
-Swim at least once a week
-Complete Week 5 & 6 of the Couch to 5K running program
-Meet with my trainer 2x a week
-Do 2 other workouts each week (bike on the trainer/swim/etc)
-Break in my new running shoes! (My gift for losing my first 10 pounds)

-Krista
2008-01-03 3:34 PM
in reply to: #1131692

New user

I did the couch to 5k program in the summer of 2006...good luck with the program, and congrats on your first 5k!
2008-01-03 4:48 PM
in reply to: #1131692

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

kmanus - 2008-01-03 4:25 PM Well this is week is about over but - - Completed my first 5K (ok, I walked probably half of it, but it is a start), took me 40:51 but gave me a baseline to work from -Meeting with my trainer 4 days this week, doing measurements today (Thurs) -Try out my new bike trainer -Get one swim workout in over the weekend Jan Goals: -Lose 3 pounds (3.5 would put me at my half way point!) -Swim at least once a week -Complete Week 5 & 6 of the Couch to 5K running program -Meet with my trainer 2x a week -Do 2 other workouts each week (bike on the trainer/swim/etc) -Break in my new running shoes! (My gift for losing my first 10 pounds) -Krista

Congratulations on your first 5K - I'm pretty sure you beat my first 5K time and I "ran" the whole way, so you're doing great! I actually did the couch to 5K program when I started running in 2002 - that's a great program. I refer people to that all the time! Have you picked out a 5K for your "graduation" run at the end of the program?

2008-01-03 8:16 PM

User image

Veteran
The ATL
I know the subject line says closed but since some dropped is it still open? If so, would love to join. Live in Smyrna, Georgia and work in Marietta. I'm desperate for a training partner to motivate me!!!
2008-01-04 8:01 AM
in reply to: #1132401

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

bboston88 - 2008-01-03 9:16 PM I know the subject line says closed but since some dropped is it still open? If so, would love to join. Live in Smyrna, Georgia and work in Marietta. I'm desperate for a training partner to motivate me!!!

Since we have such a large group, I don't think I want to add any more right now (originally, I was going to cap the size at 5). I think you'll get the best motivation if you join one of the other open groups, so you'll be able to get more individual attention.

If you use the training log feature on BT, I'll be happy to drop by and watch your training, though!

2008-01-04 8:52 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Happy Friday everyone!! I'm so excited for the weekend already, even though it's just been a short week with vacation and holidays!

If you haven't already, make sure you start logging your workouts using the training log feature. If you're unsure how to get started with this, let me know. I updated the list of group members (in an earlier post on this page) to include a link to everyone's log that is available. You can click on each person's name to go to their log - which is a quick way to check everyone's progress and leave a quick "inspire" note on their page.

2008-01-04 7:58 PM
in reply to: #1128477

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
OK - I recognize that the week is over - but better late than never.

Goals for this week:
Monday - swim workout - 1450 yds. (felt great)
Tuesday - run 3 miles (coming back from tendanitis in left achilles) (b/c had day off was able to do late in afternoon which was wonderful)
Wednesday -- Rest day (managed to accomplish)
Thursday -- run 3 miles (only managed 2.37 b/c of cold - but still proud of myself for getting out there)
Friday -- swim workout - 1450 yds. (disappointed that didn't have time to complete entire workout b/c my goggles broke and had to hunt down spare)
Saturday --- my "long run" of 4 miles. Bike shopping. Help husband rake yard -- which doesn't sound like a workout unless you know how big a task this is going to be.
Sunday -- Church, family, rest.

General goal for this week was to stretch regularly (hamstrings in particular) - something I haven't been doing a very good job of in the past couple months.

Goals for the month:
Continue to do 5 workouts a week (w/good stretching). Purchase a bike and incorporate bike workouts into what I'm already doing. Decide on a training program.

2008-01-06 10:42 AM

This coming weekend will be busy for me. I have to bring my oldest daughter back to school a 7 1/2 hour drive one way . I also get the pleasure of bringing my other rug rats with. Thank the lord for the dvd. . I am a good one for having to swap a day with another workout but that is life with 4 kids.
Sunday-run 8 long and slow
Monday-swim 60min
Tues.-bike 60 min , run 4
Wed-Run 6
Thurs- swim-30-50 (depends on how I feel)
Fri swim-30 bike 60, run 30
Sat- off I will not work out, I will not work out, I will not work out!( Maybe strecth out for 15 )min
2008-01-06 12:11 PM
in reply to: #1137026

User image

I didn't post weekly or January goals last week, so I'll just start fresh with this upcoming week. My goals for this upcoming week are:
Mon - run 40 min
Tue - swim 25 min
Wed - off
Thur - swim 15 min, bike 30 min
Fri - run 20 min
Sat - bike 45 min
Sun - off

January goals:
- Decide on a training plan
- Get back in the water
- Be consistent with training (2 off days/week)
- Strengthen core (at least 2x/wk)
- Weigh 190# by 1/31

I would also like to begin incorporating some strength training this month. I'm presently weighing my options (pun intended) regarding a gym membership. Any comments/suggestions would be welcomed!
2008-01-06 7:01 PM
in reply to: #1137095

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
We got a bowflex revolution off of craigslist last spring and have absolutely loved it. With kids it is so nice having a setup in the house which permits workouts during obscure hours w/o having to leave house. Very easy to use. If you have the space it is a great alternative to joining a gym.

2008-01-06 7:38 PM

I also never posted goals for last week. Things have finally settled down after the holidays and I am ready to be serious about this now!

My goals for the week:
5-6 workouts (I choose one of the plans from this site and entered it into my training log. I plan to start out with that and see how it goes. I may have to shift days around depending on my schedule)
Fruits and Veggies at every meal (For me my husband and my boys!)
Start shopping for a bike

My goals for January:
1.) No fewer than four workouts a week
2.) With two kids under 18 months--be realistic but don't use my being busy with them as an excuse!
3.) Plan healthier meals for the whole family
4.) Buy a bike and a trainer so I can still workout at home if I can't make it to the gym (any advise on buying a bike would be appreciated--the choices are overwhelming.)

I am really ready to start this for real! I have my bagged back for the gym tomorrow and the diaper bag packed for the kids!
2008-01-07 2:34 PM
in reply to: #1137715

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Seems like several people are in the process of buying a bike. Let me know if you have specific questions that I can help you with. I know the one big question that many people have is tri bike or road bike. I did my first two races (first season) on a mountain bike I had from college. I think that was the right way to start, so I could make sure I really liked this tri thing, before I invested a ton of money in the sport.

When I decided to buy a bike, I did a lot of research and the overwhelming majority of advice pointed to buying a road bike first. With a road bike, you have the flexibility to participate in road bike races (if you want, although I never ended up doing that) and is generally cheaper than a tri bike. There are usually a good mix of road bikes and tri bikes at triathlons, so don't feel like you will be the only one without a tri bike. 2008 will be my 4th season and I just bought my tri bike in November, well after my last race of 2007. As my coach tells me, one of the big benefits I'm looking forward to with the tri bike is that is "saves your legs" for the run. I'm looking forward to my first race in 2008 to see how that translates for me.

For my first "real bike", my road bike, I went for a non-name brand Scattante (Performance Bikes brand). Why? I got a full-carbon frame bike with full Ultegra parts for the same price as the aluminum Ultegra Felt that I was comparing it to. I still love my road bike and am very happy with my purchase, but you do need to know what you're doing when buying a bike at Performance - the staff usually have no idea how to fit you on a bike. Fit is THE most important thing when buying a bike, so either purchase from a reputable bike shop and/or bring a friend who is a cyclist who you trust to help you out. Regardless of your decision, PLEASE factor in a professional bike fit in your budget. I can't stress enough how important this is and you will be so much happier and more comfortable on your bike when you do this!!

Wow - that was a lot longer than I thought it would be. Hopefully there is something in my ramblings that will help someone.

2008-01-07 2:40 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Time to post your weekly schedule/goals!! Here's my training schedule for this week:

Mon: Day off!
Tue: Strength/Core and Run (cruise intervals)
Wed: Swim and Bike Drills
Thu: Strength/Core and Bike (zone 3)
Fri: Swim and Run (steady)
Sat: Base Bike
Sun: Base Run

How did you do with last week's goals? For me, I skipped my swims on purpose (dealing with allergic reaction causing really dry/itchy skin), but otherwise completed all my training. Good start to 2008 for me!

2008-01-07 2:43 PM
in reply to: #1137095

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

drluvisme - 2008-01-06 1:11 PM I didn't post weekly or January goals last week, so I'll just start fresh with this upcoming week. My goals for this upcoming week are: Mon - run 40 min Tue - swim 25 min Wed - off Thur - swim 15 min, bike 30 min Fri - run 20 min Sat - bike 45 min Sun - off January goals: - Decide on a training plan - Get back in the water - Be consistent with training (2 off days/week) - Strengthen core (at least 2x/wk) - Weigh 190# by 1/31 I would also like to begin incorporating some strength training this month. I'm presently weighing my options (pun intended) regarding a gym membership. Any comments/suggestions would be welcomed!

I love the gym, makes it convenient for me to fit in a run on the treadmill when outdoors or track isn't an option (or I'm too much of a wuss for the weather). Plus, my gym has a pool, which is another option for fitting in a swim.

If the membership cost is too high for right now, you might also look into resistance bands for strength training at home (or while traveling). They are pretty inexpensive and take up very little space, but at the same time they are very effective.

2008-01-07 7:13 PM
in reply to: #1139552

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
week of January 7 goals:

Monday - swim workout (1150 yds)
Tuesday - run (4 miles)
Wednesday - weight train
Thursday - run (4 miles)
Friday - swim workout
Saturday - long run - 5 miles
Sunday - rest

Question -- not to sound completely naive, but I really need more on the purchasing a bike experience spelled out for me. I have been to a couple shops and talked generally with the salesperson on the floor - the Giant dealer told me I should probably go for a Medium (Giant) or 54 cm, if other. The Trek person said I should look at 52 cm. Neither mentioned anything about a bike fit prior to any purchase. Also, in an article online it said to measure my inseam, subtract 9 inches and then that is my number - which is like 56 cm. I am trying to do this as frugally as possible and expect to pay to have my bike "fitted" to me once I make a purchase; and, b/c it will likely be used will also shell out for it to be tuned up. Am I completely missing the ball? Any additional direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2008-01-07 8:20 PM
in reply to: #1140273

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

swise - 2008-01-07 8:13 PM week of January 7 goals: Monday - swim workout (1150 yds) Tuesday - run (4 miles) Wednesday - weight train Thursday - run (4 miles) Friday - swim workout Saturday - long run - 5 miles Sunday - rest Question -- not to sound completely naive, but I really need more on the purchasing a bike experience spelled out for me. I have been to a couple shops and talked generally with the salesperson on the floor - the Giant dealer told me I should probably go for a Medium (Giant) or 54 cm, if other. The Trek person said I should look at 52 cm. Neither mentioned anything about a bike fit prior to any purchase. Also, in an article online it said to measure my inseam, subtract 9 inches and then that is my number - which is like 56 cm. I am trying to do this as frugally as possible and expect to pay to have my bike "fitted" to me once I make a purchase; and, b/c it will likely be used will also shell out for it to be tuned up. Am I completely missing the ball? Any additional direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I wish I knew a bike shop in your area to recommend, if you could come to Atlanta then I would recommend going to Roswell Bikes. DJ at Roswell Bikes will set you up right and they will fit you appropriately. From my experience, a 54 in one manufacturer is another manufacturer's 56. I'm a lot shorter than you and QR's 48 is closer to a 50 in a Felt - I wasn't able to even look at that brand due to my size, so maybe that explains part of the disparity. The measurement for a bike is not standard, they measure from slightly different locations sometimes. This is why it's so important to find a bike shop that you trust and really knows what they are talking about.

2008-01-07 8:40 PM
in reply to: #1139552

My schedule this week:
Mon-1 hr swim (completed)
Tues-30 minute run
Wed.-1 hr swim
Thurs-30 min. run, 1 hr swim
Fri-1 hour bike
Sat.-1 hr. run
Sun-60-90 min bike

This is the first week of my 27 week half-ironman plan.

Angi
2008-01-08 8:52 AM
in reply to: #1140429

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
I think I'm going to just have to drive up this weekend. Over the past two weekends I have been to Douglasville and PTC (nothing in Newnan) and have had no luck. Thanks for the direction!
2008-01-08 1:29 PM

Anyone use a personal trainers? I am trying to decide what to do. I really want to start doing stregth training but feel lost in the gym. I thought I could go by the plan I selected but I haven't done any weight training since I was in high school and am a little intimidated. The gym I go to offers a few packages for personal trainers. You can either buy one session for an outrageous amount of money or 8 sessions for a more reasonable amount per session. Do you think the eight sessions would be worth it?
2008-01-08 3:05 PM
in reply to: #1142536

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

leahjt - 2008-01-08 2:29 PM Anyone use a personal trainers? I am trying to decide what to do. I really want to start doing stregth training but feel lost in the gym. I thought I could go by the plan I selected but I haven't done any weight training since I was in high school and am a little intimidated. The gym I go to offers a few packages for personal trainers. You can either buy one session for an outrageous amount of money or 8 sessions for a more reasonable amount per session. Do you think the eight sessions would be worth it?

I think personal trainers are great for those who are just getting back to the gym - especially if you feel uncomfortable. Ask around for one who is really good, I get frustrated watching some trainers who barely pay any attention to their clients (who are doing exercises with TERRIBLE form). They should customize a strength program to your goals and really pay attention to you, helping you perform each exercise with perfect form.

2008-01-08 3:19 PM
in reply to: #1140429

User image

Master
hblackmon - 2008-01-07 8:20 PM

swise - 2008-01-07 8:13 PM week of January 7 goals: Monday - swim workout (1150 yds) Tuesday - run (4 miles) Wednesday - weight train Thursday - run (4 miles) Friday - swim workout Saturday - long run - 5 miles Sunday - rest Question -- not to sound completely naive, but I really need more on the purchasing a bike experience spelled out for me. I have been to a couple shops and talked generally with the salesperson on the floor - the Giant dealer told me I should probably go for a Medium (Giant) or 54 cm, if other. The Trek person said I should look at 52 cm. Neither mentioned anything about a bike fit prior to any purchase. Also, in an article online it said to measure my inseam, subtract 9 inches and then that is my number - which is like 56 cm. I am trying to do this as frugally as possible and expect to pay to have my bike "fitted" to me once I make a purchase; and, b/c it will likely be used will also shell out for it to be tuned up. Am I completely missing the ball? Any additional direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I wish I knew a bike shop in your area to recommend, if you could come to Atlanta then I would recommend going to Roswell Bikes. DJ at Roswell Bikes will set you up right and they will fit you appropriately. From my experience, a 54 in one manufacturer is another manufacturer's 56. I'm a lot shorter than you and QR's 48 is closer to a 50 in a Felt - I wasn't able to even look at that brand due to my size, so maybe that explains part of the disparity. The measurement for a bike is not standard, they measure from slightly different locations sometimes. This is why it's so important to find a bike shop that you trust and really knows what they are talking about.

Friend and training partner of Heather's here.  Just wanted to drop some K-nowledge on the bike purchase topic.

Females usually have longer legs relative to torso than guys do. For example, Ninja (wife) and I have the same leg length, but she is shorter in the torso. I ride a 58 and she rides a 56 because of torso size. If your inseam measurement indicates 56, I would likely go with a 54 for females.  When you site on the bike, you don't want to feel like you are crowded (too small) or reaching (too big).  There are all sorts of proper angles you want to make the bike comfortable and to get the most power out of your legs (torso to arm angle, knee angle at bottom of stroke, etc.).  A proper fit (on the right sized bike) will get you there. 

How tall are you?

What bikes are you looking at?

Heather mentioned Roswell Bikes. I believe some type of fit is included in the purchase.  However, you typically have to pay for a quality, professional fit.  It is worth the price of admission.  I've seen prices anywhere from $50 (a guy in our tri club who is totally ligit) to $175 for an all3sports fitting. 

As I said, Ninja rides a 56.  When she first started riding, her position just didn't look right.  My bike fit guy raised her seat, moved her seat up, put on a shorter and higher stem and BAM she looks great on the bike now.  He said that before she probably was using 35% of available power.  Now is can use all her leg power. 

2008-01-08 6:07 PM

User image

Have any of you competed in a Super sprint or Double sprint?
Super = 750 meter swim, 4 mile bike, 2 mile run, 4 mile bike, 1 mile run
Double = 375 meter swim, 1.5 mile run, 20K bike, 1.5 mile run, 375 meter swim

Several of the other races I've been considering have filled up. This would be my first triathalon event, so what I'm really interested in is whether this would be a good first experience?

2008-01-08 7:58 PM
in reply to: #1143572

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

drluvisme - 2008-01-08 7:07 PM Have any of you competed in a Super sprint or Double sprint? Super = 750 meter swim, 4 mile bike, 2 mile run, 4 mile bike, 1 mile run Double = 375 meter swim, 1.5 mile run, 20K bike, 1.5 mile run, 375 meter swim Several of the other races I've been considering have filled up. This would be my first triathalon event, so what I'm really interested in is whether this would be a good first experience?

Haven't done that before although I have seen the format. I think it actually might give you a taste for duathlons too, since it has a run-bike-run thrown in. If it sounds interesting - go for it!!

2008-01-08 8:07 PM
in reply to: #1143017

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
oh my -- thank you! I am 5'7" and fairly average build (no obviously long legs or torso - which I don't even know how to measure).

I am not married to the idea of any one brand of bike and am open to suggestions.
I conceded to the fact that I need to have someone who knows what they are doing measure me and advise on what size bike I need - but I have to say (both on the fit and purchase) that a large consideration for me now is cost. I promised my husband I wouldn't go crazy spending and in exchange for a few other training items I conceded to purchase a used bike.

I would like to contact the guy in your tri-club if he would be amenable to an email or tc from me to talk about possibly retaining his services for a fitting. (Any meeting would obviously have to be at some public location) Please let me know.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » hblackmon's Group - CLOSED!! Rss Feed  

of 7