BT Development Mentor Program Archives » hblackmon's Group - CLOSED!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2008-01-22 7:34 AM
in reply to: #1092283

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
Subject: RE: hblackmon's Group - CLOSED!!
Great job Angi!!

2008-01-26 8:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
Question -- back on the HR topic. I now know (I believe) what my zones are. But I'll be darned if I can't stay in a target zone. Particularly zone 1 or 2. Even when I try to run a consistently slow pace on the treadmill I shoot up. Am I missing the boat? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
2008-01-29 12:24 PM

Back to the heart rate discussion
The website you sent has the following equation for heart rate
MHR = RHR (Resting Heart Rate) + (Measured HR - RHR) divided by .8
My heart rate when I wake up in the morning is 46 and 60 during the day. Which would be considered resting heart rate?
Also, my measured heart rate on the treadmill for running and still able to talk in sentence is 160 so therefore my MHR is 185-188 which I think is very high, is it?
So lets use 180 to be safe, what percentage of 180 should I spend most of my training?
I hope this is a help to others and not a stupid question.
THANKS!!!
Should we list our Feb goals by the end of the week?
2008-02-02 10:52 PM
in reply to: #1181779

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Hey guys! Sorry I have been MIA, but I was on vacation this past week (which I should have posted, but forgot! ).

For calculating your MHR, I would actually suggest the 10K test (or 5K) test and see what your actual maximum heart rate is. That's what I have done for the last few years and it seems to be most accurate. Then, most of your runs should be done at 60-75% (per the article). I also know there are several training plans offered on this site that use HR zones for the training runs. I would think that would be the best place to start, so that someone has built the workout for you based on those ranges.

--------------------------------------------

As far a goals go - please post your results for your January goals and your new February goals to start off this week. I know we're a few days late now, but it's close enough!

January Goals

- Consistent Training (1 miss/week): other than swims, done!
- Weight Loss: 3 pounds: 4 pounds (before vacation - need to recheck)
- No missed long rides: done!
- No missed long runs: 1 run missed (due to working late + being sick, before vacation)

I'll get my February goals up soon, I need to figure out what they are.

2008-02-03 6:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
My goals for week:

Monday - rest
Tuesday - weights / 30 min run on treadmill at controlled pace
Wednesday - swim (hard swim)
Thursday- weights / 30 min bike on trainer
Friday - swim (light swim)
Saturday - run (long run)
Sunday - bike outside

My goals for month:

my biggest goal for February is to learn my bike and get comfortable on it -
otherwise, just consistently building. goal is no misses - but realistically, no more than 3 misses for the month.

I have been using this cite a lot and really like the set up for training logs. It has helped my accountability issues in sticking to my workouts. It seems like this group is slowly disappearing though on this thread. Where is everyone?? I'm starting to feel like that obnoxious kid in class who always has there hand up and is constantly talking.
2008-02-04 1:37 PM

My goals for the week

Mon bike long
Tues Swim Run short,
Wed Bike , Run
Thurs Swim, Bike short ride,
Fri Pace Run 6
Sat. Swim easy, short
Sun run long 10

I did not schedule a off day for I will take one miss other then swim when I need or if My family has something that comes up. Two short core work outs.

Feburuary goals
CONSISTENT TRAINING! big goal
CORE TRAINING very very weak in this area. I don't like to lift. I hate the way I feel the next day and I run terrible. I never could get past this so it will be light workouts.
Stretch at night 2- 3 times a week or yoga dvd.
work on getting a bike ,hubby not real happy at the price since it does not come with some sort of motor but will not buy anything to crazy. I don't even know how this swim thing is going to work out but I can always do dualathons and won't feel bad about the bike purchase.

2008-02-04 2:57 PM
in reply to: #1191799

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

swise - 2008-02-03 7:18 AM My goals for week: Monday - rest Tuesday - weights / 30 min run on treadmill at controlled pace Wednesday - swim (hard swim) Thursday- weights / 30 min bike on trainer Friday - swim (light swim) Saturday - run (long run) Sunday - bike outside My goals for month: my biggest goal for February is to learn my bike and get comfortable on it - otherwise, just consistently building. goal is no misses - but realistically, no more than 3 misses for the month. I have been using this cite a lot and really like the set up for training logs. It has helped my accountability issues in sticking to my workouts. It seems like this group is slowly disappearing though on this thread. Where is everyone?? I'm starting to feel like that obnoxious kid in class who always has there hand up and is constantly talking.

I have a feeling you'll have no problem with your goal to get comfortable on your new bike - something about a new bike makes you WANT to ride.

I'm glad you are getting comfortable with the training logs - they are the most helpful part of the site to me too. What's really great is getting to compare months and years as you start to accumulate good data as the year goes on.

I agree on this thread slowing down - where is everyone?! I know I was out last week, so maybe that's why it's slower. What questions do you guys have? Topics you want to discuss?

2008-02-04 3:01 PM
in reply to: #1193715

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

tri4mom - 2008-02-04 2:37 PM Feburuary goals CONSISTENT TRAINING! big goal CORE TRAINING very very weak in this area. I don't like to lift. I hate the way I feel the next day and I run terrible. I never could get past this so it will be light workouts. Stretch at night 2- 3 times a week or yoga dvd. work on getting a bike ,hubby not real happy at the price since it does not come with some sort of motor but will not buy anything to crazy. I don't even know how this swim thing is going to work out but I can always do dualathons and won't feel bad about the bike purchase.

A lot of people (including me, sometimes) make the mistake of lifting too much, which causes the horrible feeling while running the next day. Remember your main goal is triathlon, with strength training as a component to improve your swim, bike, and run. There is a great article in triathlete magazine this month on strength training - I'm actually thinking of giving the suggested exercises a try for the next 6 weeks or so. 

Good luck convincing hubby on the bike - that can be tricky if he doesn't understand cycling. It does seem like a lot of money for something without a motor - but it's worth it! Keep at the swimming, you will get it with patience and practice (lots of practice!).

2008-02-04 3:04 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Time to post my February goals:

- Consistent Training (1 miss/week)
- Weight Loss: 4 pounds
No missed long rides
- No missed
long runs
- Try Masters
swimming

I'm hoping to get to masters on Wednesday and Friday this week - first time trying this out. The one I'm trying offers two weeks for free, so I can "try before I buy" - which is good. It's actually a 12-1PM class, so I'm a little concerned about timing it with work and lunch, but I'm hopeful.

Edited by hblackmon 2008-02-04 3:13 PM
2008-02-04 10:49 PM

I have been MIA for a few weeks!! I've had sick kids--my 6 month old has been in the hospital with RSV and pnemonia. That combined with very cold weather here (too many days to count with HIGHS below zero!!). We haven't ventured out of the house much other than for doctors appointments.

I am completely starting over with training. I wasn't happy with the training plan I choose so I am starting fresh with a new one. My boys go to a friends house for the day on Thursday so I will hope to spend some amount of time entering info into the training log.

A question I have is about equipment. Besides a bike, helmet and running shoes what do you NEED to compete and train for triathalons? What things are nice to have but not neccesary? What things are on you "wish list"? Reading the boards on this site can get overwhelming with all of the different gear that is discussed. I can see how this could get to be an expensive sport!!
2008-02-05 3:44 PM
in reply to: #1194577

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

leahjt - 2008-02-04 11:49 PM I have been MIA for a few weeks!! I've had sick kids--my 6 month old has been in the hospital with RSV and pnemonia. That combined with very cold weather here (too many days to count with HIGHS below zero!!). We haven't ventured out of the house much other than for doctors appointments. I am completely starting over with training. I wasn't happy with the training plan I choose so I am starting fresh with a new one. My boys go to a friends house for the day on Thursday so I will hope to spend some amount of time entering info into the training log. A question I have is about equipment. Besides a bike, helmet and running shoes what do you NEED to compete and train for triathalons? What things are nice to have but not neccesary? What things are on you "wish list"? Reading the boards on this site can get overwhelming with all of the different gear that is discussed. I can see how this could get to be an expensive sport!!

Great to hear from you again, but so sorry to hear about the hospital visit! Hope that everyone is feeling better at your house and that it warms up a bit for you (below zero - brrrrr!).

Necessary equipment - that's a great question. For my first tri, here's what I had:

• 1 tri top
  • 1 tri shorts
  • goggles
  • swim cap (got for free from a local tri clinic)
  • bike (I used an old mountain bike)
  • bottle cage on bike with 1 bottle
  • helmet
  • running shoes
  • hand towel (to lay out my stuff in transition)

That's it! I didn't want to buy a bunch stuff, until I decided I really wanted to stick with triathlons. I used my mountain bike for both races my first year, until I decided to spend the money on a good road bike.

Nice to have:

• bodyglide 
  • race belt (clips on around your waist to hold your race number)
  • hat or visor for the run
  • road/tri bike
  • aerobars for road bike (if no tri bike)
  • fuelbelt
  • HR monitor
  • wetsuit
  • transition bag
  • etc, etc

The nice to have list could honestly go on forever! This is definately an expensive sport, although I know people who have done it with a more minimalist approach. I find that the last few years I spend a lot more money on tri goodies than other goodies with my extra money - it's just fun and I spend a lot of time training, so I want stuff to make it more fun!

2008-02-06 2:24 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

I tried Masters for the first time today - for anyone struggling with motivation to swim, I would recommend giving this a try. This is the first class that was available within a reasonable driving distance to me, or I would have probably tried this earlier. It wasn't intimidating at all, although I wonder if this was a "normal" masters class, as I still had my own lane (they are just starting this new location since January).

Just thought I'd share, as I know swimming is a weakness for a lot of triathletes.

2008-02-06 4:11 PM
in reply to: #1193904

User image

As for the January goals, I did pretty well in most areas. I struggled with consistency at points during the month when my schedule was most hectic. I did reach my weight goal for the month (<190#), and I did begin swimming again. I ended up choosing the 20wk 2x Oly training plan, since I feel it starts pretty close to my existing fitness level plus I wanted to challenge myself more. Although my goal this season is to race a few Sprints, I would consider entering an Oly if all goes well.

Feb Goals
Consistent training (<1miss/wk)
No missed long runs
No missed long rides
Core excercises 2x/wk
2008-02-06 4:13 PM
in reply to: #1197649

User image

hblackmon - 2008-02-06 3:24 PM

I tried Masters for the first time today - for anyone struggling with motivation to swim, I would recommend giving this a try. This is the first class that was available within a reasonable driving distance to me, or I would have probably tried this earlier. It wasn't intimidating at all, although I wonder if this was a "normal" masters class, as I still had my own lane (they are just starting this new location since January).

Just thought I'd share, as I know swimming is a weakness for a lot of triathletes.

Sorry, but I need to ask....What exactly is Masters swimming classes? I've seen the term in several threads.
2008-02-06 8:42 PM
in reply to: #1197890

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
drluvisme - 2008-02-06 5:13 PM
hblackmon - 2008-02-06 3:24 PM

Sorry, but I need to ask....What exactly is Masters swimming classes? I've seen the term in several threads.

That is a good question - I think we all forget that these terms are common knowledge outside the little tri world. Masters is swimming for participants 25 years or older - so most triathletes fit in this category. They actually have masters swim meets like swim team in school, but the classes are for all levels. In my class today, the instructor wrote the workout on a white board as we started swimming and you just followed it as best you can!

2008-02-11 8:20 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Happy Monday everyone! How did everyone's week go last week, were you able to meet your goals? For me, I missed two workouts (1 swim, 1 bike), but I also was able to run a new PR in my 10K this weekend! I took off over 1:20 from my best time I ran last year in March - it hurt, but felt great at the end. My goal for 2008 still has me shaving off another 2 minutes from my time, an aggressive goal, but I think it will be achievable a little later in the year.

Anyone else have any races coming up?  

Oh - I also just saw a new article was posted on the site about what you need as a beginner in triathlon. I though you might be interested: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1384

2008-02-12 6:26 AM

hblackmon,
Since you were out a week, I thought this was a January only mentor forum so I am glad to have you back.

I have been consistent and only being sick causes a missed workout. But now I have a shoulder pain which is very inconsistent so I am monitoring and still swimming and lifting. I also think I was training at too high a heart rate which may lead to overtraining.

Feb Goals are the same as Jan but adding the following:
1. Find Max heart rate, research HR training - WHICH is the resting HR, the wake up HR or stationary during the day HR?
2. Gace up drinking alcohol for lent, so that will be a HUGE help.
3. Practice swim drills each workout
4. Add core training 2x a week
5. Visualize workout success

Feedback would be appreciated.

BEST OF LUCK EVERYONE.
2008-02-12 8:49 AM
in reply to: #1206641

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

sdl135 - 2008-02-12 7:26 AM hblackmon, Since you were out a week, I thought this was a January only mentor forum so I am glad to have you back. I have been consistent and only being sick causes a missed workout. But now I have a shoulder pain which is very inconsistent so I am monitoring and still swimming and lifting. I also think I was training at too high a heart rate which may lead to overtraining. Feb Goals are the same as Jan but adding the following: 1. Find Max heart rate, research HR training - WHICH is the resting HR, the wake up HR or stationary during the day HR? 2. Gace up drinking alcohol for lent, so that will be a HUGE help. 3. Practice swim drills each workout 4. Add core training 2x a week 5. Visualize workout success Feedback would be appreciated. BEST OF LUCK EVERYONE.

Those sound like great goals! I think the HR training will be a huge help for you, for exactly the reason you mentioned (preventing overtraining). Just remember to be REALLY patient when you start - you will be forced to run A LOT slower than you are used to, which is okay. It really does work and you won't get slower (that's what I also find myself thinking). I've only been doing base training with super low HR for months and was still able to PR a 10K this weekend. I think we all have the natural urge to run faster than we should for a specific workout, that's my guess anyway.

2008-02-17 8:34 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Wow - this week actually went by really fast! For me, I hit my goals for the week - only one missed workout and a good race yesterday. How is everyone else doing?

This week's schedule for me:
Mon - Swim
Tue - Strength/Core and Run (Cruise Intervals)
Wed - Swim and Bike (Hill Intervals)
Thu - Strength/Core and Bike (Zn 3)
Fri - Long Run (1:30)
Sat - Snowboarding in NC

I'm not so sure there will be snow to board on in NC based on the forecast, but we'll see how that works out.

How is everyone else's week shaping up? Any questions I can help you with?

2008-02-20 9:43 AM

I have been learning about HR training from the forum and web pages but have not found the answers to these questions. I want to do the heart rate tests to find my LT for the swim, bike, and run. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Resting heart rate - is this the heart rate when I first wake up in the morning or the heart rate during the day while working on the computer?

I live in PA where is has been 20-36 degrees for months with no end in sight. I spent the last 8-9 weeks on a 3x balanced sprint schedule and want to switch to olympic 2x balanced after next week.
How much different would doing the LT tests inside on treadmill be versus the road?

Same questions for a spin bike versus my road bike? And if I have to do the TT inside, would you recommend spin or stationary?

One last question, for the 20 minutes of ALL YOU HAVE, is that a consistent pace or a gradual increase?

Please help, thanks.
2008-02-20 1:19 PM
in reply to: #1223241

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

sdl135 - 2008-02-20 10:43 AM I have been learning about HR training from the forum and web pages but have not found the answers to these questions. I want to do the heart rate tests to find my LT for the swim, bike, and run. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Resting heart rate - is this the heart rate when I first wake up in the morning or the heart rate during the day while working on the computer?

When you first wake up. I remember sleeping in my HR strap when I tested mine and starting my watch as soon as I woke up.

I live in PA where is has been 20-36 degrees for months with no end in sight. I spent the last 8-9 weeks on a 3x balanced sprint schedule and want to switch to olympic 2x balanced after next week. How much different would doing the LT tests inside on treadmill be versus the road?Same questions for a spin bike versus my road bike?

The run I think would be similar, make sure you put at least .5 incline on the treadmill. Honestly, I don't think the 30s is bad for running outside - you just need to layer appropriately. Check out the dress the runner tool on Runner's World and take this test outside - the treadmill gets boring. Outside is always going to be best, unless you're in a controlled environment, I think. On the spin bike, I'm not sure. I've done my test on the trainer, so it might be worth a shot. 

Honestly - for either test, you can always use what you have for now and then retest outside when you are comfortable going out there.

And if I have to do the TT inside, would you recommend spin or stationary?

Spin bike would be my choice.

One last question, for the 20 minutes of ALL YOU HAVE, is that a consistent pace or a gradual increase? Please help, thanks.

That depends - one is the purpose of that workout - endurance or speed? I would find a training plan that fits within your training time constraints to help answer that one.

2008-02-21 1:16 PM

I did my LT test today, 10 min warm up, 30 min on spin bike in spin class as hard and as fast as I could. They say the person who starts the race is not the same person who finished, well that is how I felt. I felt like puking at the end. My average heart rate was 177 with a max of 182 which I could not beat. I hope I am not too sore to workout tomorrow. I will make sure I do the run test outside in the next week. Should I even do a swim test?
2008-02-21 1:23 PM
in reply to: #1226390

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Sounds like a good LT test, that's exactly what my coach says you should feel like! I would do a swim TT, but I don't use HR zones. You can establish your base pace, that way though. Let me know how your run test goes - that'll be painful too!
2008-02-25 4:34 PM

I did my outside 30 min LT test with 10 min warm up and 20 cool down.

My heart rate averaged 169. Is it possible that the run could be 8 beats lower than spin bike TT? I thought run would be higher. Is it because I was running in 40 degree weather? And you said 30s was not bad, it is not until you throw in wind.

I also got a spreadsheet from someone on these forums that automatically fills out zones which I posted below, these look right?

Bike Z1 - 116-146 Z2 - 146-157 Z3 - 158 - 165 Z4 - 166-176 Z5 - 177-180
Run Z1 - 112-143 Z2 - 144-153 Z3 - 154 - 161 Z4 - 162-168 Z5 - 169-172

One week from today I am starting the basic 16 week olympic training for March, April, and May to prepare for my first sprint at the end of May. I would tweak it a little as follows

M - Short Swim, Short Bike
T - Lift Chest, Back, Calves, Core ABS
W - Long Swim, Short Run
R - Lift Arms, Hamstrings
F - Long Bike
Sa - Long Run, Lift Shoulders, Quads, Abs
Su - OFF

So should I spend most of my training in Z2? Do you have a link to the LT zone training now that I have heart rates, I can not find it.

ALL and ANY Help welcome.

THANKS.
2008-03-03 8:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
March is here and this thread has gotten slow again so I thought I would throw out my March goals to spur the rest of you to share your status and goals.

Primary goal -- Follow training plan - consistently.
Ride on trainer atleast once a week.
Ride outside atleast once a week. Do a 25 mile ride by the end of the month. <-- biking still seems to be my thorn.

That's about it. I'm pretty darn slow - but trying not to overdo it and push to much. It may take me a little longer - but I'll get there.

Would love to hear how everyone else is doing.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » hblackmon's Group - CLOSED!! Rss Feed  

of 7